ADVERTISEMENT

# 11 Lady COUGS win....

M-I-Coug

Hall Of Fame
Oct 13, 2002
Mercer Island

No. 11 Washington State volleyball defeats No. 18 Baylor​

Seattle Times staffSep. 13, 2023 at 8:48 pm
Karly Basham and Julia Norville combined for 30 digs on the back row as the No. 11 Washington State volleyball team picked up its eighth consecutive win Wednesday and second straight victory over a Top 25 team, 3-1, at 18th-ranked Baylor.

Game scores were 19-25, 25-23, 25-18, 25-21. The Cougars (9-1) racked up 11 blocks as a team and limited the Bears (4-4) to an attack percentage of just .168. The win was the first road win for Washington State in Waco and avenged a 2021 NCAA tournament defeat in the Ferrell Center.

Pia Timmer (13 kills, 48 assists) and Iman Isanovic (16 kills, 34 assists) continued to lead the way offensively for WSU, and Magda Jehlárová tallied a match-high eight block assists.

Norville’s 15 digs fell just two shy of tying her career-high as she and Basham also collected a perfect 28 of 28 serves that went their direction on the Cougars’ back row.

The Cougars will play in Austin on Friday against defending national champion and sixth-ranked Texas at 5 p.m. Pacific time.

My wife and I watched the match on ESPN+ last night. The last set should have been a laugher but two questionable calls led to the score being tied at 11 instead of the Cougs up 13-9. Good news is that the Cougs recovered and went on a run and built a big lead regardless of the sketchy calls. Cougs ran out of gas and let Baylor get some garbage time points to make that third set closer but the ladies gutted it out and slammed the door.

Baylor had some big hitters and racked up more kills but they made a lot of youthful mistakes. Biggest takeaway? Baylor fans don't support their team. That arena was empty. I'd be surprised if there were 200 fans there.

Reactions: kougkurt
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT