ADVERTISEMENT

Arbuckle named one of the nation's top assistant coaches to watch!

PeteTheChop

Hall Of Fame
May 25, 2005
Per Bruce Feldman of the Athletic sports website:

24. Ben Arbuckle, Washington State OC

"He is only 27 but has generated a lot of buzz inside the coaching world the past couple of seasons. Arbuckle got his start as an unpaid volunteer assistant at Houston Baptist and moonlighted as a driver for Uber Eats. In 2021, as Kittley’s wingman at Western Kentucky in an offensive quality control role, he helped an attack that led the nation in passing (433.7 yards per game) and finished second in total offense and scoring. Last year, with Kittley at Texas Tech, Arbuckle’s offense — with a new QB in Austin Reed — finished seventh in total offense and 15th in scoring and tied Georgia for the most explosive plays of 20 yards or more with 98. Reed led the nation in passing yards (4,744).

To cap it off, WKU put up 677 yards in a New Orleans Bowl romp over South Alabama, which had a top-20 defense. In Pullman, Arbuckle inherits a talented QB in Cameron Ward, who gets overshadowed by all the other terrific quarterbacks in the Pac-12. Don’t be shocked if the Cougars put up some massive numbers in 2023."

Reactions: Coug90
I'm a lot more interested in the actual performance on the field than in the hype he gets, and prefer that ratio stay as high as possible for reasons that likely are implicit and obvious.

I'm a lot more interested in the actual performance on the field than in the hype he gets, and prefer that ratio stay as high as possible for reasons that likely are implicit and obvious.

If/when WSU wins big this year, Arbuckle could be an exciting replacement if Dickert got hired away by a school closer to his roots (say Iowa, where Kurt Ferenz is pushing 70)

• Haha
Reactions: BiggsCoug
Must we think of that already?

Yeah, I think that's what 425 was saying ....

First-world problems, though, if CJD goes 10-2 and Iowa offers him $4M a year or thereabouts.

The good thing is the Arbuckle would be in place to move to the big chair if Schultz and Chun decided to go that route

Am I reading this right that people would consider a 1-year Offensive Coordinator at age 27/28 as our "next to be head coach"?

If Cougs go 10-2 or better and Ward piles up the numbers Bruce Feldman predicted in the Athletic, he'll be somebody's head coach.

Not saying OC Arbuckle should be promoted if CJD went elsewhere ... just that PKS and Chung would probably at least give him a look-see

If Cougs go 10-2 or better and Ward piles up the numbers Bruce Feldman predicted in the Athletic, he'll be somebody's head coach.

Not saying OC Arbuckle should be promoted if CJD went elsewhere ... just that PKS and Chung would probably at least give him a look-see

WSU is 10-2 this season, Dick leaves for greener pastures and Arbuckle gets bumped up to the head job.

I mean, I predict 12-0 every season. So I guess it’s possible.

If the Cougs win 10 or more games this year, and they end up in the Mountain West, half the staff and probably half the team is gone at the end of the season. An Oregon St/Washington St Championship game would be great, but highly unlikely, but more likely thank the Cougs in the Big 10. I start with a lot of hope, and convince myself they can win them all, and they start undefeated, and are undefeated, until someone beats them. Similar to Leach years, they'll have to put up a lot of points to win.

If the Cougs win 10 or more games this year, and they end up in the Mountain West, half the staff and probably half the team is gone at the end of the season. An Oregon St/Washington St Championship game would be great, but highly unlikely, but more likely thank the Cougs in the Big 10. I start with a lot of hope, and convince myself they can win them all, and they start undefeated, and are undefeated, until someone beats them. Similar to Leach years, they'll have to put up a lot of points to win.

The media reaction to that matchup would be incredible

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT