ADVERTISEMENT

CH: if I don't play well my team loses by 30?!?

ttowncoug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 9, 2001
Per King 5, per Sirius interview.

The comparison was to Jamis Winston.

If I am Falk, or the team, I'm pissed.

The references about his picks are the reason if we lose are appropriate.

This post was edited on 4/7 9:55 PM by ttowncoug

Hmmm....kinda true, but argument can also be made we lost games by 30 because he didn't plsy well. If he could have pulled his head out against Nevada, might have been a different season. Defense played well enough to win...he was terrible.

I've always supported Connor, but if the quote is accurate, it's a bush league thing for him to say. If you don't play well, we lose by 30? Guess what? We've suffered plenty of blowouts over the past few years with Connor starting, so I guess that means he didn't play well often.

In our bowl year (2013), we lost 55-17 to Stanford. 52-24 to Oregon State. 62-38 to Oregon. 55-21 to ASU. We also beat USC 10-7, beat Arizona 24-17 and lost to UW 27-17; games where if Connor (the offense) had played better, we likely would have won or won by more. We won a Pac-12 game last season the week after Connor got injured. That means Falk has a conference winning percentage of .333. What's Halliday's?

I like Connor, but come on dude. How many times have you ever heard a great QB say something like that?

Paging ElC. He'll love this one.

I haven't heard the interview, so I don't know the context of the quote. I'd like to think it was more a reference to the Air Raid system, "When you throw 70+ times a game, if the QB has a bad game, you lose by 30", rather than a slam on his teammates, "I was the only thing in town, if I didn't show up, my numb nuts teammates couldn't keep us in the game."

But, Conner's never been real slick with the words, so who knows what he meant.

Yeah, before everyone throws Connor under the bus.... let's at least examine the context of this comment.

Originally posted by wazzubruce:
Yeah, before everyone throws Connor under the bus.... let's at least examine the context of this comment.
There's not a lot of context needed. No matter how he said it or what prompted it, the quote is awfully arrogant.

Even for the internet make-believe world, people spend way too much time dissecting the words of one Connor Halliday.

Originally posted by ttowncoug:
Per King 5, per Sirius interview.

The comparison was to Jamis Winston.

If I am Falk, or the team, I'm pissed.

The references about his picks are the reason if we lose are appropriate.

This post was edited on 4/7 9:55 PM by ttowncoug
Halliday is who he is, don't agree with his comment. He's somewhat true, but also, like many people have said, we've been blown out many times when he was QB. He threw costly picks that ended the UW and Auburn game and played like garbage against Nevada this year. Somehow we won at USC not scoring an offensive touchdown. He cost us the OSU game in '13 b/c he got into a pissing match with Leach on the sidelines and quit during the game and didn't give a crap about the outcome. He was playing well in that game until he didn't like what he heard from Leach. Halliday needs to step back and look at his actions, comments like this don't impress GM's and coaches, whatever the context is. He's a fringe NFL QB already, they will be a lot of GM's that don't want this type of attitude on their team.

It is a slap in a face his ex teammates, you win and lose as a team, doesn't matter if the outcome is 30 or 1, a lost is a lost.

I'm having flashbacks to 2013 Oregon State. We're completely in this game, tied at 24 going into the 4th. Connor has a temper tantrum on the sideline, and while he's pouting throws 3 interceptions in 5 snaps...and in the space of less than 5 minutes we go from a competitive 24-24 to a 52-24 blowout.

So yeah, I guess it's true...if he doesn't play well, we lose by 30. Especially if he goes out and literally throws the game away, like he did that day.

I would agree with him had he said "if a qb plays bad when you throw north of 60 times, you're gonna lose by 30".

I do wish he would shut his yap. Probably one of my least favorite Cougar qbs ever

Originally posted by CougPatrol:
Originally posted by wazzubruce:
There's not a lot of context needed. No matter how he said it or what prompted it, the quote is awfully arrogant.
Sure there is. If he was just speaking about the QBs role in the air raid, then it's a fairly innocuous comment.

If he was speaking about himself and his teammates, then it's a pretty stupid thing to say.

Reporter: "Tell us about playing QB in the air raid."
Conner: "It can be good & it can be a challenge. As a QB in that system, if I have a bad game, we lose by 30..."

Reporter: "Your team had a bit of a disappointing '14 season, why do you think that was?"
Conner: "Well, our D & special teams was so bad, if I had a bad game, we lost by 30..."

You don't see the difference context can make?

Originally posted by Fab5Coug:

In that example, yes.

In this case, no.

"If Jameis Winston didn't play well, FSU could still win a game. If I didn't play well we would lose by 30".

Not much context needed.

In that example, yes.

In this case, no.

"If Jameis Winston didn't play well, FSU could still win a game. If I didn't play well we would lose by 30".

Not much context needed.
Well, I actually asked Serius XM what the quote was in reference to (novel concept, huh?).

They said it was in reference to WSU having a lot of young players and playing a tougher schedule in the Pac12.

So, there you go. I don't think it's as inflammatory as you wanted.

What do you mean, as I wanted? Have I ever once criticized Halliday? How many threads have I defended him against the venom spewed by ElComm?

It was stupid thing for him to say. It sounded like something Ryan Leaf would have said, and I'm sure that hasn't been lost by the media and the NFL scouts.

What do you mean, as I wanted? Have I ever once criticized Halliday? How many threads have I defended him against the venom spewed by ElComm?

It was stupid thing for him to say. It sounded like something Ryan Leaf would have said, and I'm sure that hasn't been lost by the media and the NFL scouts.
Just that you were pretty quick to call it "bush league" and "arrogant" without even wanting to consider the context.

Just that you were pretty quick to call it "bush league" and "arrogant" without even wanting to consider the context.
How in the world can that quote be taken as good by anyone associated with our program? It was an arrogant thing to say, regardless of the context.

How in the world can that quote be taken as good by anyone associated with our program? It was an arrogant thing to say, regardless of the context.
Ok. I can see there's no changing your mind and I don't really feel like restating my point several times.

Ok. I can see there's no changing your mind and I don't really feel like restating my point several times.
Regardless of the context, his wording was very poor. Even if the question was about a young team and a tough schedule, the way he answered made him appear to be elevating himself.

The subtext to his wording is that at FSU, there were other players good enough to carry the load, but that WSU couldn't be competitive without him. Whether it's what he meant or not, it's what he said.

And then, when you add to it the claim that he'd be in the top 3 or 4 QBs if he hadn't broken his leg, that really seems to magnify the idea that the other comment was arrogant & self-important.

Who cares?

Players talk. Who would have known? I believe fans are more up in arms about this than his former teammates. Conner is trying to get drafted in the NFL. He is trying to get his name out there to more teams. Honestly, this is much ado about nothing.

Re: Who cares?

I agree with 'fab and 90, there is no news here..... move on.

It is old news. The other comment recently attributed to the temper throwing brat is "if i had not been ijured,i would have been the third or fourth QB taken in the draft". His statements are as arrogant and laughable as they come, and basically slams the other players,coaches and the program in it' s entirety. It is noteworthy to hear Falk say "it is and entire different feeling out here now".CH was unpopular with his teammates. I still cannot figure out why Leach stuck with him. Leach was just seemingly fumbling around in a fugue like state the last few years in regards to CH. I feel that his program suffered from his choice of leadership imposed. But he was the head coach and he made the decisions and reaped the benefits of his choices. CH was a spoiled tantrum throwing brat which leach mistook for a burning competitive desire.It was all about CH to the kid.The fresh air surrounding the practices are noteworthy as other players do not have to stick with the script and praise someone who was not worthy of the leadership role he was anointed with.One has to watch one's words as a football field is not exactly a free speech environment.Hopefully sports boards allow a little more expression of opinion
CH may not get drafted in the seventh round but it will not be due to injury. I still remember one pro scout whose notes on CH stated " tends to panic". One may say that if he makes it to a NFL practice field that he" may get scrunched". Blaze away but his immobility,lack of quickness and speed. combined with an arrogant attitude do set the man up for that. Pro football is a violent sport. My posts and thoughts on this may be unpopular because my opinions offend his fan's sensibilities.However, They are mine and it is supposed to be a free board with proper rules of decorum.Put up a bronze statue ,praise him to the high heavens but be thankful the program is moving on and will have better leadership and better QB's to lead the way.The experience lost is one which needed to be lost.

Originally posted by ElComanche:
It is old news. The other comment recently attributed to the temper throwing brat is "if i had not been ijured,i would have been the third or fourth QB taken in the draft". His statements are as arrogant and laughable as they come, and basically slams the other players,coaches and the program in it' s entirety. It is noteworthy to hear Falk say "it is and entire different feeling out here now".CH was unpopular with his teammates. I still cannot figure out why Leach stuck with him. Leach was just seemingly fumbling around in a fugue like state the last few years in regards to CH. I feel that his program suffered from his choice of leadership imposed. But he was the head coach and he made the decisions and reaped the benefits of his choices. CH was a spoiled tantrum throwing brat which leach mistook for a burning competitive desire.It was all about CH to the kid.The fresh air surrounding the practices are noteworthy as other players do not have to stick with the script and praise someone who was not worthy of the leadership role he was anointed with.One has to watch one's words as a football field is not exactly a free speech environment.Hopefully sports boards allow a little more expression of opinion
CH may not get drafted in the seventh round but it will not be due to injury. I still remember one pro scout whose notes on CH stated " tends to panic". One may say that if he makes it to a NFL practice field that he" may get scrunched". Blaze away but his immobility,lack of quickness and speed. combined with an arrogant attitude do set the man up for that. Pro football is a violent sport. My posts and thoughts on this may be unpopular because my opinions offend his fan's sensibilities.However, They are mine and it is supposed to be a free board with proper rules of decorum.Put up a bronze statue ,praise him to the high heavens but be thankful the program is moving on and will have better leadership and better QB's to lead the way.The experience lost is one which needed to be lost.
I can understand the outrage over the "we'd lose by 30" comment, but I fail to see the problem with his comment about being drafted higher if not for injury. What exactly is wrong with that?

I can understand the outrage over the "we'd lose by 30" comment, but I fail to see the problem with his comment about being drafted higher if not for injury. What exactly is wrong with that?
The virtual certainty that it's 100% incorrect, for starters.

So what?

The guy is confident. I can think of a lot less appealing attributes a QB could have.

So what?

The guy is confident. I can think of a lot less appealing attributes a QB could have.
Like "lacking accountability"?

Why does this surprise anyone?

CH doesn't always think before he does something. It's that simple.

He's always been that way. From his 5 INT games. To his short fuse temper. To his arrogant comments.

It's been his problem from day 1 and will be his problem till he dies.

I'm not sure that all the stress is worth it here. To some degree, all Connor did was repeat what announcers and writers said all last year. It could be interpreted as arrogant and as others have pointed out, the reality is that sometimes Connor was the weakest link himself. Still, not worth the stress.

I appreciate Connor's effort while he was at WSU and he deserves to be considered one of the top 10 QB's all time at WSU but I can't help but think that he will be out of that conversation in the not too distant future. That will be more because of the ridiculous numbers that WSU QB's are going to be putting up than because of him, but some of that will be because he was always a bit of a rogue QB.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT