ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Search Update

You are probably right. There's speculation that Logie's agent did leak it to CBS's Matt Norlander and that WSU immediately withdrew the offer once that happened. We may never know for sure and it probably doesn't matter now. It's still a mess and doesn't reflect well on the relative importance WSU currently holds now that it's not in a high major conference.

Glad Cougar
Sounds like Easterns coach is the target now. I still have PTSD from the Wulff years, not feeling good about chasing an eastern coach…

Two things ... one you are comparing tve titanic with the love boat. Everyone in admin are simply trying to keep boat above water . It will be imperfect for the next couple of years.

And i think the greater point is we really dint know what is happening . We wont know for awhile .
What do we need to know? WSU did not choose to offer the candidate who was the fan (and certainly the team) favorite in Shaw. WSU offered a one year in Big Sky guy who makes $190K a year. Said guy either turned us down, or we backpedaled when it was leaked. Either way we are ifiots. What else do we need to know?

What do we need to know? WSU did not choose to offer the candidate who was the fan (and certainly the team) favorite in Shaw. WSU offered a one year in Big Sky guy who makes $190K a year. Said guy either turned us down, or we backpedaled when it was leaked. Either way we are ifiots. What else do we need to know?
There are other options as well. He never was offered the job. He was offered the job and WSU withdrew it and that is when Logie's side leaked that he wanted to think about it. If I had a nickel for every time a coach was rumored for a job and then they say that they want to think about it or that they are staying at their present school once they found out they didn't get the job, I could singlehandedly fund the athletic department and NIL for WSU.

There are other options as well. He never was offered the job. He was offered the job and WSU withdrew it and that is when Logie's side leaked that he wanted to think about it. If I had a nickel for every time a coach was rumored for a job and then they say that they want to think about it or that they are staying at their present school once they found out they didn't get the job, I could singlehandedly fund the athletic department and NIL for WSU.
Oh c'mon. Everyone on the planet is making fun of WSU over this. If we never actually offered, don't you think we would say something, like the truth? And don't you think MSU would have seen the offer or made a call or something rather than just take Loogie's word for it?

Oh c'mon. Everyone on the planet is making fun of WSU over this. If we never actually offered, don't you think we would say something, like the truth? And don't you think MSU would have seen the offer or made a call or something rather than just take Loogie's word for it?
Nobody on the planet besides us cares about WSU basketball. So, very few if anyone is making fun of WSU, and if even anyone was, by tomorrow they would be onto something else.

No, I don't think WSU would say anything at all if they never offered. The only time you will ever hear from WSU is when they announce the coach. My guess is Riley.

Riley is the apparent hire. It will become official tomorrow. Not even our first choice among Big Sky candidates. I feel bad about being unfair & unreasonable, but I do fear Riley will be the Paul Wulff of basketball. Hope I'm wrong and as a longtime Cougar fan, I will give him every opportunity and bit of support to succeed. But Riley was last on my list among known candidates. Prove me wrong, coach.

Glad Cougar

Riley is the apparent hire. It will become official tomorrow. Not even our first choice among Big Sky candidates. I feel bad about being unfair & unreasonable, but I do fear Riley will be the Paul Wulff of basketball. Hope I'm wrong and as a longtime Cougar fan, I will give him every opportunity and bit of support to succeed. But Riley was last on my list among known candidates. Prove me wrong, coach.

Glad Cougar
I personally believe we are lucky. Riley is better than Logie.

Glad Cougar
Riley better than Logie!!!

When Legans left to Portland that roster at Eastern was completely gutted. Jacob and Tanner Groves went to Oklahoma. Kim Aiken was supposed to go to Arizona, Meadows, Robertson and Perry went to Portland w their coach and Davison went to Cal Poly....best players all gone...Riley hit the Portal hard and brought in some great players. Developed Steele Venters and won the Big Sky conference league championship. Venters player of the year leaves for Gonzaga couple other kids transfer out and graduate...hits the portal again and wins the league again. Kid can coach!! Def not Paul Wulff... be curious who he brings on as assistants.

Hope so, 1990. How do you think he is better? recruiting? etc...
Logie’s first and one year as head coach Montana State went 17-18 and to his credit they had a late run thru the Big Sky tournament and in to the play in game of the NCAA. The 2 seasons prior to Logie the Bobcats were 25-10 and 27-8 and also in the NCAA tourney. So it could be argued the programs took a down turn.
Riley has won Big Sky coach of the year in back to back seasons. So if you’re going to hire someone from the Big Sky might as well get the best. Plus Riley has two victories over WSU’s Smith teams.

Last edited:
Logie is out. He either turned it down or WSU rescinded the offer. Either way, I felt it was embarrassing that a Big Sky coach would not immediately say yes to WSU. Whether it was because of a low ball offer or Logie just didn't feel good about the uncertainty of WSU or he truly just likes Bozeman and wants to give it more than one year....I would've moved on from him once he said he had to think about it. Logie will probably have better offers in the next couple of years anyway.

Who is left? Apparently Henderson is no longer being considered (or never was after the interview, maybe he also pulled himself out) and that leaves Riley and UW's Will Conroy as the only known coaches who interviewed. There may be more. I hope so, that's a dreadful list of remaining candidates.

Glad Cougar
hold on...

UWs hand me down p.o.s. loser coach is being considered? You're fcking joking, right? PLEASE TELL ME YOURE FCKING JOKING.

Logie’s first and one year as head coach Montana State went 17-18 and to his credit they had a late run thru the Big Sky tournament and in to the play in game of the NCAA. The 2 seasons prior to Logie the Bobcats were 25-10 and 27-8 and also in the NCAA tourney. So it could be argued the programs took a down turn.
Riley has won Big Sky coach of the year in back to back seasons. So if you’re going to hire someone from the Big Sky might as well get the best. Plus Riley has two victories over WSU’s Smith teams.
Really (beat Smith twice). I didn't recall that. Allright, I'll give him a chance. At least the co-eds will like him better than Loogie.

giphy.gif

Nobody on the planet besides us cares about WSU basketball. So, very few if anyone is making fun of WSU, and if even anyone was, by tomorrow they would be onto something else.

No, I don't think WSU would say anything at all if they never offered. The only time you will ever hear from WSU is when they announce the coach. My guess is Riley.
Good thing you aren't in charge of PR or media relations. Wait - you couldn't do any worse than what we have. :)

Two more just hit the portal.
Cluff and who? I only see Cluff. And why Cluff? He won't get much out there I wouldn't think. He's looking at some NIL money from WSU, and a full-fledged starting job at center/PF. And he previously said he was not going to leave. WTF?

Really (beat Smith twice). I didn't recall that. Allright, I'll give him a chance. At least the co-eds will like him better than Loogie.
Yes. Once in a regular season game at the beginning of the season and once in the NIT at the of the season.

Just a little bit of context. Logie was hired fairly late in the process and inherited a Bobcats program that was gutted by previous coach Sprinkle, who took the two best players with him to Utah State while others either graduated or transferred out. MSU's top 5 scorers departed the program. Getting that team into the NCAA tournament was a pretty good accomplishment. I really can't say that Logie is better than Riley but I won't be surprised if Logie re-establishes a strong program in Bozeman and will be coaching at a much bigger school within five years. Hopefully, Riley will do well for WSU.

Glad Cougar

Hope so, 1990. How do you think he is better? recruiting? etc...
Hard to know for sure. But I look at Eastern and while it was a good program before him, when he took over, he made it better. Then I looked at Kenpom and his offensive efficiency is very good. The defensive efficiency is not good, but I also read that when you take out the Power 5 conference opponents out of their equation, the defensive efficiency jumps up a lot.

Reactions: 78Chief

Glad Cougar
I guess in reality Paul Graham was already the Paul Wulff of basketball. I feel better with subsequent comments about Riley’s accomplishments at Eastern, sounds like he knows the game and has played it well. Hoping for the best.

Cluff and who? I only see Cluff. And why Cluff? He won't get much out there I wouldn't think. He's looking at some NIL money from WSU, and a full-fledged starting job at center/PF. And he previously said he was not going to leave. WTF?

It's obvious players were waiting to see what happened in wait and see mode, before entering the portal.

And it's obvious the players think WSU, Schultz, AD FCKED up the coach search. And it's obvious players don't have confidence in the new coach, and were upset that Shaw, Henderson not hired, etc.

If WSU, Schultz, AD had hired Shaw, Henderson quickly, some of the players that entered the portal would have stayed.

Yeah, some of them would have gone no matter what happened, but it's a FALSE NARRATIVE by Ed, others, that the entire team was all going to leave forever, no matter what happened.

This is a 1 out of 10 excitement hire.

Hope I'm wrong about this hire, but it's Paul Wulff-esque to me.

I guess in reality Paul Graham was already the Paul Wulff of basketball. I feel better with subsequent comments about Riley’s accomplishments at Eastern, sounds like he knows the game and has played it well. Hoping for the best.
Jim Shaw is the Paul Graham of basketball.

He's had plenty of praise. Like Graham, he's a great assistant coach. Not the head guy.
I'd like to see evidence that Paul Graham was a great assistant coach at any time in his life. Just because he was the #3 guy for Eddie Sutton doesn't mean he was something special. There is no doubt in my mind that Jim Shaw would have been far more capable of being a head coach than Graham ever proved to be.

Glad Cougar

Reactions: mikalalas
You must have missed his time at Western Oregon.

Insulting that you mention Paul Graham. Not even remotely the same.
Does Jim Shaw have a college age son that he can put on scholarship? If not, then not remotely the same.

I'd like to see evidence that Paul Graham was a great assistant coach at any time in his life. Just because he was the #3 guy for Eddie Sutton doesn't mean he was something special. There is no doubt in my mind that Jim Shaw would have been far more capable of being a head coach than Graham ever proved to be.

Glad Cougar
So why hasn’t he gotten the chance anywhere else?

So why hasn’t he gotten the chance anywhere else?
How do you know he hasn't had those opportunities but chose to stay put? But that really isn't the point for me. It's the ridiculousness of comparing someone who has widespread respect as a coach (assistant or otherwise) with someone I don't recall had such widespread respect.

One other key difference– Jim Shaw doesn't own any Armani suits!

Glad Cougar

Reactions: Coug1990
How do you know he hasn't had those opportunities but chose to stay put? But that really isn't the point for me. It's the ridiculousness of comparing someone who has widespread respect as a coach (assistant or otherwise) with someone I don't recall had such widespread respect.

One other key difference– Jim Shaw doesn't own any Armani suits!

Glad Cougar
If he's had D1 opportunities and chose to stay put as an assistant, then he's not the guy. That's the point. It's not that he isn't a good coach and good person, I'm sure he is, but he either hasn't had any D1 head coaching offers or he hasn't wanted any.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT