ADVERTISEMENT

Do you see Jeff Tuel taking on a linebacker here?

YakiCoug

Hall Of Fame
Jan 6, 2003
Go to the 1:13 mark in this video. Tuel takes the snap against Idaho State in 2011, and rolls out to the right after missing the open WR in the right flat. He then proceeds to the sideline with a linebacker trailing and another ISU player coming over but who appears to miss Tuel as Jeff goes low and out of bounds (going low strongly suggests he was trying to avoid contact). The linebacker and another ISU defender then fall on Tuel when all are out of bounds.
Judge for yourself, but he doesn't appear to take on anyone on this play...

Last edited:
Go to the 1:13 mark in this video. Tuel takes the snap against Idaho State in 2011, and rolls out to the right after missing the open WR in the right flat. He then proceeds to the sideline with a linebacker trailing and another ISU player coming over but who appears to miss Tuel as Tuel is out of bounds. The linebacker and another ISU defender than fall on Tuel when all are out of bounds.
Either Jeff Tuel is not the athlete I remember, or he looked really laborious on that play compared to other games for no reason. Probably the adrenaline making him look slow.

I also like that as a "Welcome to Washington State Mike Leach" promo(!) video, they still needed the footage of the QB getting injured against an FCS team, so Leach knew what he was getting himself into. Also the WSU 0 Cal 30 graphic for those big plays... down 30.

Go to the 1:13 mark in this video. Tuel takes the snap against Idaho State in 2011, and rolls out to the right after missing the open WR in the right flat. He then proceeds to the sideline with a linebacker trailing and another ISU player coming over but who appears to miss Tuel as Jeff goes low and out of bounds (going low strongly suggests he was trying to avoid contact). The linebacker and another ISU defender then fall on Tuel when all are out of bounds.
This is pathetic...

Welp, this is awkward...

Sure didn't look like he was impaired by the flu on that run..but I am sure the flu caused his collar bone to break as some here would have you believe.
That's what "not impaired" Jeff Tuel looks like?

Were you annoyed only being wrong about everything and wanted to add more to it so you could be wrong about more than everything?

Reactions: dgibbons
You are, literally, the only one saying that.
For both parts, actually- he looked impaired as sh!t. Or is "barely faster than an FCS DL, and clearly slower than FCS LB's" his usual level of athleticism?

Last edited:

Were you annoyed only being wrong about everything and wanted to add more to it so you could be wrong about more than everything?

You know, if you take a closer look at this clip, you'll see a gunman on the grassy knoll and Bigfoot riding a unicorn on the sideline. But I still can't seem to find Tuel taking on a linebacker...

Reactions: wulffui
Actually what I see is Tuel not getting out of bounds out of bounds after escaping the pocket. he should have stepped out at the 12 and not taking the hit as I always suggested. And yes Wulffui, he looked very lethargic out there. Good grief

Last edited:
Actually what I see is Tuel not getting out of bounds out of teh pocket at the 12 and not taking the hit as I always suggested. And yes Wulffui, he looked very lethargic out there. Good grief
Don't drink and post, guys.

Reactions: YakiCoug

It was uncharacteristic for Tuel to not make the quick throw to the WR open in the right flat (the guy even waves for the ball because he knew he was open). But the rational point regarding this issue remains: it wasn't necessary to play him, and now we know he didn't take on a linebacker.

Reactions: Coug95man2
However you choose to describe it, that was a horrible decision by Tuel to take that hit. Gesser used to do crap like that too. It's one thing to tuck it and run, but to freeze up and absorb the full impact of a defender (as a QB) is ridiculous.

Again, the brother duo of Ed & Sponge still haven’t grasped the new era called The Internet. Where facts and truths about history can be set straight within a few strokes of the keyboard.
Their sports knowledge & recall abilities are that of pre-internet days in the bar or at the barbershop. During heated sports debates they are the loud guys spewing facts and figures as they wish to remember and change history enough just so they sound correct. Most of it is Agenda Driven the other Ego.
The Internet
Exposing Guys like Ed & Sponge

Since 1995

Again, the brother duo of Ed & Sponge still haven’t grasped the new era called The Internet. Where facts and truths about history can be set straight within a few strokes of the keyboard.
Their sports knowledge & recall abilities are that of pre-internet days in the bar or at the barbershop. During heated sports debates they are the loud guys spewing facts and figures as they wish to remember and change history enough just so they sound correct. Most of it is Agenda Driven the other Ego.
The Internet

Since 1995
And now the Biiiig question… Does the flu really affect a persons health? Screw the reports, articles, studies and such… It's video of a football player that turns all that noise to silence…

And now the Biiiig question… Does the flu really affect a persons health? Screw the reports, articles, studies and such… It's video of a football player that turns all that noise to silence…
Well, when you've been defending a made up play with all your football knowledge for almost a month, (really "took on" that LB) what option do you have once everyone sees you made it up? Just shut up, tuck your tail, and hope you're not such a colossal idiot the next time you choose a hill to die on. Don't admit you're wrong, though- too mature.

The Internet

Since 1995
To be fair, Squarepants doesn't have the internets in his pineapple under the sea, due to the obvious reason that it would be cost prohibitive to run fiber optic cable to a single fruit abode in the ocean. In other words, his ignorance is not his fault.

However you choose to describe it, that was a horrible decision by Tuel to take that hit. Gesser used to do crap like that too. It's one thing to tuck it and run, but to freeze up and absorb the full impact of a defender (as a QB) is ridiculous.

So that's what you see in this video? Seriously? Tuel didn't decide/choose to take a hit. The linebacker who some say he chose to "take on" is behind him. That linebacker (Francis, I believe) lands on top of Tuel when they're out of bounds and probably should have been flagged for the late contact. But stick to the plan, patroll.

What does it matter? The "no Tuel" excuse was lame anyway. Marshall Lobbestael actually had a fairly respectable season that year. At least comparable to any string of games Tuel was ever able to play. And Conner Halliday beat ASU darn near singlehandedly.

Even with a healthy Jeff Tuel that entire season, I very much doubt WSU wins more than 4 games anyway.

What does it matter? The "no Tuel" excuse was lame anyway. Marshall Lobbestael actually had a fairly respectable season that year. At least comparable to any string of games Tuel was ever able to play. And Conner Halliday beat ASU darn near singlehandedly.

Even with a healthy Jeff Tuel that entire season, I very much doubt WSU wins more than 4 games anyway.

Does it matter who the QB is when the HC and OC can't come up with a play at the end of regulation when you're on the opponent's goal line?

Don't drink and post, guys.
Actually, while alcohol is needed there was none. New format, lack of readers and not being online to fix it as I didn't think it sent because internet said it went down mid post.

So that's what you see in this video? Seriously? Tuel didn't decide/choose to take a hit. The linebacker who some say he chose to "take on" is behind him. That linebacker (Francis, I believe) lands on top of Tuel when they're out of bounds and probably should have been flagged for the late contact. But stick to the plan, patroll.[/QUOTE
You don't see where he could have stepped out of bounds at the 12? Really? Take a peak at Luke Falk from last year. Look at him getting down several times against BEFORE taking a hit. Take a peek at Russell Wilson, he always gets out of bounds before taking on a linebacker or DB. There is a reason why NFL teams prefer the qb's stay in the pocket because of the speed of the collision outside the pocket, whether it is a linebacker or DB.

This is pathetic...
95...what is pathetic about it? The QB didn't get out of bounds when he was right there to do so. You know what is interesting, one of my clients coached at four major universities, and he was a QB coach and an OC. We talk football quite often. He happened to be in my office earlier this AM, and I just showed him that same clip. He looked at it, I asked him what he saw, and the first thing that he said is the QB should have got out of bounds. I then told him that was the play Tuel got hurt on and he said you always teach the player not to take unnecessary hits. Always. Look at film of Luke Falk against OSU. Got out of the pocket and made sure he got down before he took a hit.

95...what is pathetic about it? The QB didn't get out of bounds when he was right there to do so. You know what is interesting, one of my clients coached at four major universities, and he was a QB coach and an OC. We talk football quite often. He happened to be in my office earlier this AM, and I just showed him that same clip. He looked at it, I asked him what he saw, and the first thing that he said is the QB should have got out of bounds. I then told him that was the play Tuel got hurt on and he said you always teach the player not to take unnecessary hits. Always. Look at film of Luke Falk against OSU. Got out of the pocket and made sure he got down before he took a hit.

Okay so "the player should have gone out of bounds" and "you always teach the player not to take unnecessary hits"

So that would be on the coaches then because they didn't teach him properly. Excellent excellent CougEd confirms Paul Wulff doesn't know how to coach.

I then told him that was the play Tuel got hurt on and he said you always teach the player not to take unnecessary hits. Always. Look at film of Luke Falk against OSU. Got out of the pocket and made sure he got down before he took a hit.
It's fascinating that a coach like Leach was able to impart for a QB's first start something that a coach like Wulff hadn't been able to impart by the start of his QB's third YEAR. Something you always, ALWAYS teach... went untaught under Wulff, at least to a degree that any players cared to listen to him. Not surprising.

But he definitely didn't take on a linebacker- we can retire that discussion forever.

You completely misunderstood my post. It's pathetic that this play is what caused a 4 page "debate".

It's fascinating that a coach like Leach was able to impart for a QB's first start something that a coach like Wulff hadn't been able to impart by the start of his QB's third YEAR. Something you always, ALWAYS teach... went untaught under Wulff, at least to a degree that any players cared to listen to him. Not surprising.

But he definitely didn't take on a linebacker- we can retire that discussion forever.

He also should have been coached to throw to wide-open receivers as the first option, but it's clear from the video he did not decide or choose to take a direct hit. He's going low and out of bounds where one normally isn't tackled. The blow that probably fractured his clavicle came from the linebacker in pursuit, as in FROM BEHIND. So, the weak defense of Wulff now shifts away from "Tuel took on a linebacker" to "Tuel should have just run out of bounds" to waste a play. He also easily could have just thrown the ball away and THEN been tackled as Mike Pattinson was in 1993 when a big Cal linebacker pile drove him into the turf after he threw the ball.

So that's what you see in this video? Seriously? Tuel didn't decide/choose to take a hit. The linebacker who some say he chose to "take on" is behind him. That linebacker (Francis, I believe) lands on top of Tuel when they're out of bounds and probably should have been flagged for the late contact. But stick to the plan, patroll.

I didn't watch the video to draw any conclusions about the Wulff era. He deserved to be fired, and would have been fired, with our without the injury to Tuel.

What I saw from Tuel was him running to the sideline, and rather than stepping out of bounds to avoid the contact altogether or going low to avoid some of the impact, he paused (in bounds), braced himself, and allowed the defender to take an unabated shot at him.

As far as your comment about sticking to the plan, we are sticking to it. Leach will lead us to a 4-8 season, but we'll be brimming with optimism at this time next year. Just be patient!! :D

Reactions: spongebob11
I didn't watch the video to draw any conclusions about the Wulff era. He deserved to be fired, and would have been fired, with our without the injury to Tuel.

What I saw from Tuel was him running to the sideline, and rather than stepping out of bounds to avoid the contact altogether or going low to avoid some of the impact, he paused (in bounds), braced himself, and allowed the defender to take an unabated shot at him.

As far as your comment about sticking to the plan, we are sticking to it. Leach will lead us to a 4-8 season, but we'll be brimming with optimism at this time next year. Just be patient!! :D
It looked to me like his path out of bounds- once he chose to turn upfield- would have led him DIRECTLY into the path of the bigger hit, so he avoided that, and got caught up in traffic. Interesting that the reel leads with how good Lobbestael looked up to that point. Probably should have just kept him in.

I then told him that was the play Tuel got hurt on and he said, "Who?".

Sorry, couldn't resist.

As for the play and what Tuel was coached to do, we really have no way of knowing. Sometimes you coach a player to do something and they just don't do it. The game is fast and players make mistakes. Someone posted earlier that Gesser used to do that crap all the time. Did Mike Price not know how to coach QBs?

Heck, maybe Tuel steps OOB 9 times out of 10 in that situation. Who knows what was going through his head on that particular play. I still contend it really didn't make that much of a difference in the final W/L column.

He also should have been coached to throw to wide-open receivers as the first option, but it's clear from the video he did not decide or choose to take a direct hit. He's going low and out of bounds where one normally isn't tackled. The blow that probably fractured his clavicle came from the linebacker in pursuit, as in FROM BEHIND. So, the weak defense of Wulff now shifts away from "Tuel took on a linebacker" to "Tuel should have just run out of bounds" to waste a play. He also easily could have just thrown the ball away and THEN been tackled as Mike Pattinson was in 1993 when a big Cal linebacker pile drove him into the turf after he threw the ball.
The discussion has always been he should have gotten out of bounds. "Taking on" a linebacker or taking on a defensive player doesn't mean he dropped his shoulder and "took him on". It means he took on a hit that was unnecessary.

Yes, he could have easily been piled driven and suffered the injury. Your issue is you think because of competition and being up by 14 he shouldn't have played. Gronk's team was up by 24 in last three minutes. Bellichik didn't hold out his second best player, he played him on an extra point and he broke his arm.

I then told him that was the play Tuel got hurt on and he said, "Who?".

Sorry, couldn't resist.

As for the play and what Tuel was coached to do, we really have no way of knowing. Sometimes you coach a player to do something and they just don't do it. The game is fast and players make mistakes. Someone posted earlier that Gesser used to do that crap all the time. Did Mike Price not know how to coach QBs?

Heck, maybe Tuel steps OOB 9 times out of 10 in that situation. Who knows what was going through his head on that particular play. I still contend it really didn't make that much of a difference in the final W/L column.
Maybe, maybe not. You still like to have your best option at QB. I think he would have helped against SDSU and UCLA. But the greater point is you can't roast a coach for making a decision to play the qb when other play their star players when they are and were sick. Coaches don't look at an opponent and say they suck, we are up by 14, lets not play our best players.

Piss and moan about the record all you want, but don't point to a normal decision that coaches make all the time, see Gronk and his broken arm, and piss and moan about that decision.

The discussion has always been he should have gotten out of bounds. "Taking on" a linebacker or taking on a defensive player doesn't mean he dropped his shoulder and "took him on". It means he took on a hit that was unnecessary.

Yes, he could have easily been piled driven and suffered the injury. Your issue is you think because of competition and being up by 14 he shouldn't have played. Gronk's team was up by 24 in last three minutes. Bellichik didn't hold out his second best player, he played him on an extra point and he broke his arm.
That's the question you opted to explore, so your favorite coach would be insulated from criticism, but it's been "should he have played?" Watching the play, then a YouTube highlight reel of Jeff Tuel, no, not even a little. He looked like sh!t, even by the minimal standards of "peak Jeff Tuel". You're wrong on this one. Utterly, completely, decidedly wrong.

Maybe, maybe not. You still like to have your best option at QB. I think he would have helped against SDSU and UCLA. But the greater point is you can't roast a coach for making a decision to play the qb when other play their star players when they are and were sick. Coaches don't look at an opponent and say they suck, we are up by 14, lets not play our best players.

Piss and moan about the record all you want, but don't point to a normal decision that coaches make all the time, see Gronk and his broken arm, and piss and moan about that decision.
Gronk was healthy. Tuel was not. No examples, only Wulff. You're just lying, now.

"Taking on" a linebacker or taking on a defensive player doesn't mean he dropped his shoulder and "took him on".
No, that's actually exactly what it means. He took an unnecessary hit. He didn't "take ON" anything at all. It's OK, I know the only path to Wulff defense is pretending things aren't what they really are.

Reactions: Whitworth-Coug
ADVERTISEMENT