ADVERTISEMENT

Halliday no longer with Skins

Bizarre turn of events for sure. The fact that he left before minicamp is the strangest part of it. I'm wondering if his injury has him so far behind physically that a team doctor told him that he should rehab more before he hits the field. He wasn't the biggest guy in the world to start with.

Bizarre turn of events for sure. The fact that he left before minicamp is the strangest part of it. I'm wondering if his injury has him so far behind physically that a team doctor told him that he should rehab more before he hits the field. He wasn't the biggest guy in the world to start with.

Something unusual is going on, that's for sure. All we can do now is to speculate and your speculation makes as much sense as any. It sounds to me that the most likely explanation involves a medical issue. If the printed reports are true about him anxious and happy to be given a shot in the Redskins camp then this seems the most likely, not that he has lost interest in playing any more. So it is possible, as you suggested, that his bone fractures need more time. Or maybe the reports of him being overused as a young baseball pitcher are accurate and his arm just cannot take any more wear and tear. Or there is something else that we don't know. I guess we will find out eventually..

Something unusual is going on, that's for sure. All we can do now is to speculate and your speculation makes as much sense as any. It sounds to me that the most likely explanation involves a medical issue. If the printed reports are true about him anxious and happy to be given a shot in the Redskins camp then this seems the most likely, not that he has lost interest in playing any more. So it is possible, as you suggested, that his bone fractures need more time. Or maybe the reports of him being overused as a young baseball pitcher are accurate and his arm just cannot take any more wear and tear. Or there is something else that we don't know. I guess we will find out eventually..
As was stated in the previous thread with this, and in that article about (edit) throwing 170 pitches in one game, it also states his arm has never stopped hurting. As Cougzz stated, "Nothing is worth that." And the NFL is going to be more physically demanding than college ever was. Who knows, though. All speculation. It could be anything in the wide spectrum of reasons… And most likely not a reason we know/understand.

Last edited:
As was stated in the previous thread with this, and in that article about pitching 170 times, it also states his arm has never stopped hurting. As Cougzz stated, "Nothing is worth that." And the NFL is going to be more physically demanding than college ever was. Who knows, though. All speculation. It could be anything in the wide spectrum of reasons… And most likely not a reason we know/understand.

Yeah well my arm hurts all the time from playing baseball as a youth, but I just suck it up and do another 12 ounce curl.

They invited Hutson Mason and Anthony Neyer to try out at rookie camp. It's highly possible he was told he'll have to compete at the Rookie Camp just to get the spot on the practice squad, as they'll probably hang onto Cousins and McCoy both this year, and given he's still probably a ways away from being 100%, there's a good chance Connor is just making a good business and life decision for himself to walk away.

I find it hard to believe this unnamed source saying he's "lost his love for the game". Or maybe the Redskins have just been dicking him around and didn't do their homework before signing him and weren't aware of his current actual physical condition until he showed up.

12 oz… pffft. You wuss. ;) You sure you're a Coug? Unless we're talking about 12 oz of Fireball, that is… Then of course, you have this old fart beat by a mile! Hate that crap...

Whatever the reason.... I really don't care. I just wish Connor success in anything in which he chooses to invest himself! Go Connor, Co Cougs!

I find it hard to believe this unnamed source saying he's "lost his love for the game". Or maybe the Redskins have just been dicking him around and didn't do their homework before signing him and weren't aware of his current actual physical condition until he showed up.
That's tough to believe. He did interviews in the run-up to the draft talking about how he looked forward to it. Apparently looked pretty good in his pro day workout, and my recollection is that the docs said there was no reason he couldn't come back 100%. Unless there's some unexpected complication, or a different condition/injury, doesn't seem like it would be medical either.

I'm curious, but that's just being a nosy fan.

Definitely was strange. Knowing the Redskins and how poor their management is it wouldn't surprise me if they told him it was likely he wasn't going to make the cut, and instead of going through all of minicamp Conner called it quits.

Also there could be an underlying medical issue we don't know about that emerged.

Either way I appreciate how hard he tried despite the hardships and setbacks. Really the only problem I saw with him was a mental issue where he would be too manic. If things were going well he was too overconfident and would try to force things. If things started to go sour he would throw fits and let it get to him and rifle off a ton of picks. He got better as the year went on, but sometimes those vices and poor tendencies would creep back in.

His relentlessness will serve him well, and as he matures the reactionary mental stuff will fade. He'll do well in life, and I wish him the best.

What the hell did you guys expect? The kid has always been a spoiled brat who threw tantrums. Leach in a fugue like state thought he had a burning desire to win and thought he was the answer.. He started him to the teams detriment even after throwing three straight interceptions He lacked leadership qualities and it showed in the teams play. The kid has always been all about him I have said it for at least a couple of years The only medical issue exists between his ears.CH showed what he is really about. Who gives a squat how the ball leaves his hand. What was more important is where it ended up under pressure..His supporters want to hide their heads in the sand and hope that this is a bad dream.The one positive note in all this is that the team ,indeed ,will have better leadership on the field. I believe that the team will be so much better this year.

MSN has an article about it today and based on the tone of the article, it appears that it is not an issue where the team doctor had said anything. Jay Gruden (Redskins head coach) sounds like he was completely surprised and maybe even pissed that Halliday left.

Jumped on a plane

It will be interesting to see what the story is behind it. Halliday is too damned cocky and competitive to quit in fear of being cut. If anything, he's usually the kind of guy who would be fighting all the way to the plane when they were running him out of town.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
What the hell did you guys expect? The kid has always been a spoiled brat who threw tantrums. Leach in a fugue like state thought he had a burning desire to win and thought he was the answer.. He started him to the teams detriment even after throwing three straight interceptions He lacked leadership qualities and it showed in the teams play. The kid has always been all about him I have said it for at least a couple of years The only medical issue exists between his ears.CH showed what he is really about. Who gives a squat how the ball leaves his hand. What was more important is where it ended up under pressure..His supporters want to hide their heads in the sand and hope that this is a bad dream.The one positive note in all this is that the team ,indeed ,will have better leadership on the field. I believe that the team will be so much better this year.

Yawn.

Yeah, I gotta say, this is one of the most "personal" attacks ElC has posted. You don't have to like him but I don't get how downright mean you have gotten/are over CH. He's a 22 or 23 (assuming) year old kid that is no longer with WSU. You and I have discussed other things in the past so I know you aren't anywhere near the same age but it's almost like CH stole your girlfriend or something. Dude… easy up. He's just a kid.

Yeah, I gotta say, this is one of the most "personal" attacks ElC has posted. You don't have to like him but I don't get how downright mean you have gotten/are over CH. He's a 22 or 23 (assuming) year old kid that is no longer with WSU. You and I have discussed other things in the past so I know you aren't anywhere near the same age but it's almost like CH stole your girlfriend or something. Dude… easy up. He's just a kid.
On top of that, he's just plain wrong. While he certainly had "frustration" issues in 2013, where he'd follow pick with another one, he was much more composed in 2014, and significantly reduced his INTs.

2011: 4 INTs in 103 attempts: 1 per 25.75
2012: 13 INTs in 291 attempts: 1 per 22.38
2013: 22 INTs in 714 attempts: 1 per 32.45
2014: 11 INTs in 526 attempts: 1 per 47.82

He also improved his completion percentage, YPA, YPC, and TD numbers between 2013 & 2014, so I really don't see any validity to arguing maturity or development issues. At least, not Halliday's. Based on that last post, I'm not sure the same can be said for ElC.

On top of that, he's just plain wrong. While he certainly had "frustration" issues in 2013, where he'd follow pick with another one, he was much more composed in 2014, and significantly reduced his INTs.

2011: 4 INTs in 103 attempts: 1 per 25.75
2012: 13 INTs in 291 attempts: 1 per 22.38
2013: 22 INTs in 714 attempts: 1 per 32.45
2014: 11 INTs in 526 attempts: 1 per 47.82

He also improved his completion percentage, YPA, YPC, and TD numbers between 2013 & 2014, so I really don't see any validity to arguing maturity or development issues. At least, not Halliday's. Based on that last post, I'm not sure the same can be said for ElC.
I disagree with ElC on many different levels. Some call it passion, he calls it frustration. If I agree with any portion of what he said it would be the following- if he got flushed out of the pocket and he was going right that is when problems occurred. If he was flushed to the left for a strange reason he threw better scrambling to his left. Other than that, the kid got better, he certainly would have probably benefited from a running game, and I bet he would have done very well in Stanford's offense. I will be interested to know if the leg injury really made him rethink what direction he wanted to go.

He has had two injuries that have required a lengthy rehabilitation and the NFL is a rough game. I haven't rehabbed anything but I can't imagine it is a fun part of life. I wouldn't blame him one bit if that was his reasoning.

He has had two injuries that have required a lengthy rehabilitation and the NFL is a rough game. I haven't rehabbed anything but I can't imagine it is a fun part of life. I wouldn't blame him one bit if that was his reasoning.
A blunt, outside perspective on CH, and our football program. I don't know that anyone will be too concerned that I'm linking to another site… off-season and all.

http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday...nor-halliday-is-done-and-thats-a-happy-ending

The kid is used to preferential treatment which he received under Leach in Pullman. Shockingly he was treated like any other rookie in camp!!.We "all know" that he is too good for that.He then complained about not being drafted and quit. He was used to being coddled and getting his way.Come,on ,the guy disgraced himself and showed what a kid he really is. On that,I agree.You can defend him to the high heavens but actions speak louder than words.The scouting reports which stated"tends to panic under pressure" are ever so true.

The kid is used to preferential treatment which he received under Leach in Pullman. .

El C your dislike for Halliday is well documented. We all get it you don't like him. That's fine, but Halliday was the QB for us because he was the best option we had for the moment. Leach doesn't give preferential treatment to ANYBODY. See Marques Wilson etc. etc. Leach treats everyone equally and whoever is the best will play.

There was no one who understood the offense better to play when Halliday was here.

In 2012 it was either Tuel and Halliay. Leach said himself put them together and you might have something. Tuel was smart, but too hesitant, Halliday not the best decision maker but he decided quickly.

2013 it was Halliday , Apodaca , Bender - Apodaca played because Halliday got injured (briefly) and it wasn't pretty. 21 of 42 4.5 yards per att. with 2 tds and 2 ints. Apodaca was a RS-Fr. Bruggman was a True Freshman.
There was no one to play.

2014. Halliday improved as things went on but still Halliday mental problems plagued Halliday
Falk still was green. No Bruggman, (who should have stayed because he might have had a shot now), No Apodaca
Bender a True Fresh... Once again... Halliday is all we had.

So it wasn't like he got preferential treatment. He was the best we had fully ready to go. We never had a real option to take the job from him.

So you can complain and throw fits about him all you want, but he was the best option we had at that time. Like many Wulff recruits he was lacking development in certain areas, but he tried his very best. Despite getting beat up regularly, and yet he still put up high numbers....Let it go.

El C your dislike for Halliday is well documented. We all get it you don't like him. That's fine, but Halliday was the QB for us because he was the best option we had for the moment. Leach doesn't give preferential treatment to ANYBODY. See Marques Wilson etc. etc. Leach treats everyone equally and whoever is the best will play.

There was no one who understood the offense better to play when Halliday was here.

In 2012 it was either Tuel and Halliay. Leach said himself put them together and you might have something. Tuel was smart, but too hesitant, Halliday not the best decision maker but he decided quickly.

2013 it was Halliday , Apodaca , Bender - Apodaca played because Halliday got injured (briefly) and it wasn't pretty. 21 of 42 4.5 yards per att. with 2 tds and 2 ints. Apodaca was a RS-Fr. Bruggman was a True Freshman.
There was no one to play.

2014. Halliday improved as things went on but still Halliday mental problems plagued Halliday
Falk still was green. No Bruggman, (who should have stayed because he might have had a shot now), No Apodaca
Bender a True Fresh... Once again... Halliday is all we had.

So it wasn't like he got preferential treatment. He was the best we had fully ready to go. We never had a real option to take the job from him.

So you can complain and throw fits about him all you want, but he was the best option we had at that time. Like many Wulff recruits he was lacking development in certain areas, but he tried his very best. Despite getting beat up regularly, and yet he still put up high numbers....Let it go.

I was going to post something along this line but you beat me to it. Halliday wasn't the best option Leach had, he was reasonably the only option. Over the last two years the other options are Apodaca, a sophomore who struggled in his only appearance, and freshmen, redshirt freshmen and walk-ons. Halliday was WSU's starting QB because he was the only one remotely qualified. He didn't have to beat out anybody, he was it- a one man show as far as our QB position was concerned. Like him or not, he was the only alternative. Which leads me to this question- El C, since you have been notably dissatisfied with Halliday's performance, who would you have selected if you were Leach? Not trying to stir your pot, just curious.

The kid is used to preferential treatment which he received under Leach in Pullman. Shockingly he was treated like any other rookie in camp!!.We "all know" that he is too good for that.He then complained about not being drafted and quit. He was used to being coddled and getting his way.Come,on ,the guy disgraced himself and showed what a kid he really is. On that,I agree.You can defend him to the high heavens but actions speak louder than words.The scouting reports which stated"tends to panic under pressure" are ever so true.

"I Hate Halliday Guy" is really pushing the envelope in this thread.

Neat.

I was going to post something along this line but you beat me to it. Halliday wasn't the best option Leach had, he was reasonably the only option. Over the last two years the other options are Apodaca, a sophomore who struggled in his only appearance, and freshmen, redshirt freshmen and walk-ons. Halliday was WSU's starting QB because he was the only one remotely qualified. He didn't have to beat out anybody, he was it- a one man show as far as our QB position was concerned. Like him or not, he was the only alternative. Which leads me to this question- El C, since you have been notably dissatisfied with Halliday's performance, who would you have selected if you were Leach? Not trying to stir your pot, just curious.
I know, I know, please ask me!! In 2013 on this forum El C predicted Apodaca would be the starter in 2014...wait, Apodaca left..well it was Bruggman then...wait, Bruggman left...

Well, it's obvious you're an ignorant, bitter POS. I knew you'd do this, so not unexpected. Do any of us know the situation? No. You post as if you're some sort of authority. You are not, by a fu*king long shot. I just wish anyone associated with this site would just toss you to the freaking curb, cuz there is no way you are a Cougar fan. I guess a lacerated liver and a broken leg aren't enough for you, you pillar of knowledge and wisdom and all things Coug. I have to stop reading your posts, because you're a horrible person,and clueless about sports and athletics in general.

Suck it.

No, never mind., Don't suck it. You don't deserve it.

Reactions: chinookpirate
To his credit, I think the derangement is real.

No kidding. In all seriousness, the "elcommanche" guy is a real whack job. He invents his own reality, and tries to convince others of his delusions. He also has a fixation about Halliday that is pathological, borderline sociopathic. Not sure if he had a daddy that left him who looked like Halliday or whether some tall skinny guy stole the only girl (?) that asked him to his prom in junior high or what.....But he has some serious issues.

Reactions: chinookpirate
Halliday is a kid who played college football. Then, like all kids, one day, he didn't play any more.

I like to think, Connor Halliday woke up this morning following his dream.

Good Luck, Connor... in whatever you choose to do.

El... I have to ask. Leach showed Halliday "preferential treatment"? When I watched Tuel play in the Apple Cup is that evidence of such treatment? Or was it "sporadic" preferential treatment?

ADVERTISEMENT