ADVERTISEMENT

How a new 'alliance' proposal involving Washington State, Oregon State could impact College Football Playoff

That is a helluva article. Lots of previously undisclosed info.
Confirmation of "deep" discussions with the Mtn West.
Some info on what assets are up for grabs. Yeah we could take half of that.
I should have known this - but the highest ranked Group of 5 team gets an automatic playoff berth.

And no playing uw unless they come to Pullman. It will be our turn.

Assuming the Pac-2 get possession of the Pac-12 conference and there is some commitment given to the MWC for a long term relationship this alliance sounds good to me.

I hope they are talking about all sports. I believe the MWC can accommodate all your sports except for Rowing. You don't have Softball but that is okay as OSU would be the 10th softball team in the MWC. Everything else will work with some minor tweaking such as we have Swimming and Diving and we have both Indoor and Outdoor track seasons. I don't see Diving or Indoor Track at your athletic website. I don't see that as a big deal.

If we get into the basketball discussion and tourney units I don't see why we couldn't distribute future units equally for the number of years of the alignment.

Let's get it done.

Reactions: spongeandshoot
Assuming the Pac-2 get possession of the Pac-12 conference and there is some commitment given to the MWC for a long term relationship this alliance sounds good to me.

I hope they are talking about all sports. I believe the MWC can accommodate all your sports except for Rowing. You don't have Softball but that is okay as OSU would be the 10th softball team in the MWC. Everything else will work with some minor tweaking such as we have Swimming and Diving and we have both Indoor and Outdoor track seasons. I don't see Diving or Indoor Track at your athletic website. I don't see that as a big deal.

If we get into the basketball discussion and tourney units I don't see why we couldn't distribute future units equally for the number of years of the alignment.

Let's get it done.
Thanks for popping in Meister. And congrats on CSU (although I like the Rams and it is a hit to our SOS).

Oh and edit for WW fans - the deep discussions with the Mtn West are exactly along the lines of what I've been saying all along. And being panned by the Board.

Last edited:
Reactions: Meister_Rebel
It is going just as I desired when this departing thing happened. Save the Pac-12 bring MWC along for the ride. MWC will get bigger and better in the Pac-12. It is a win win for all

Let's get it done.

Yes I second what Loyal said...thanks for stopping by.

Some exciting football going on in the Mountain West. Seems like every week CSU is going down to the wire.

Would make for some fun road trips. I'll drink some Fat Tire in Ft Collins...and maybe get 86'd from a few bars in Vegas haha

Let's do it!!

Try this site.. Should be about the same thing. This came out about an hour ago.

Good one, Thanks!

I keep seeing the words of the bylaws and seeing that the three schools were previously removed from the board and it just seems so clear cut as to what the outcome must be. However, it is the legal system and often they manage to get things wrong, so I am standing by to be amazed by some bizarre ruling against WSU/OSU, likely on appeal.

Good one, Thanks!

I keep seeing the words of the bylaws and seeing that the three schools were previously removed from the board and it just seems so clear cut as to what the outcome must be. However, it is the legal system and often they manage to get things wrong, so I am standing by to be amazed by some bizarre ruling against WSU/OSU, likely on appeal.

The biggest danger that I see for WSU and OSU is the partnership discussions with the MWC. Can the feckless 10 paint that as WSU and OSU giving notice?

For everyone that thinks the MWC would be so awesome, let me just point out a few things:

1) they've kicked our ASS the last couple of times we've played them in bowls, so its not going to be this curb-stomp wet dream you think its going to be.

2) 7-0 Air Force is ranked 19. They probably won't climb much higher than that, and definitely not into the top 10 which would give them a legitimate chance at a bye. When the P12 goes away, that will be another slot that will go to a P4 conference guaranteed. Yes, under the current proposed format they would get a spot as a conference champion, but I honestly don't expect that to be the case for very long. There are already forces at work to just make it the top 12 ranked teams, which would almost certainly exclude a G5 team 99% of the time.

3) Football isn't the only game it town; our womens sports deserve to be P5 status. This would be a huge slap in the face to the success they've built over the past 10 years or so.

4) If you think WSU football sucks now (in general.. we have more bad years than good), just wait until we don't have P5 money propping us up.

For everyone that thinks the MWC would be so awesome, let me just point out a few things:

1) they've kicked our ASS the last couple of times we've played them in bowls, so its not going to be this curb-stomp wet dream you think its going to be.

2) 7-0 Air Force is ranked 19. They probably won't climb much higher than that, and definitely not into the top 10 which would give them a legitimate chance at a bye. When the P12 goes away, that will be another slot that will go to a P4 conference guaranteed. Yes, under the current proposed format they would get a spot as a conference champion, but I honestly don't expect that to be the case for very long. There are already forces at work to just make it the top 12 ranked teams, which would almost certainly exclude a G5 team 99% of the time.

3) Football isn't the only game it town; our womens sports deserve to be P5 status. This would be a huge slap in the face to the success they've built over the past 10 years or so.

4) If you think WSU football sucks now (in general.. we have more bad years than good), just wait until we don't have P5 money propping us up.
Good competition brings in viewers, butts in seats. Isn’t that what we want….revenue. TV time pays the bills, gets the players to sign. Plus new rivals. Let’s start over fresh

Someone on our board posted a tweet about UVA and UNC now making plans to leave the ACC after the 25/26 season and four other ACC schools having discussions with the B12. If all that happens the ACC will be in the same boat as you are in. At that time perhaps a merger of ACC, Pac-2, and MWC would help to keep the P5 status. Someone on our board suggested a East/West divisions would work. We would be something like a 20 team conference. Just something else to think about down the road in the very near future. I mean what the hell. Why not.

Good competition brings in viewers, butts in seats. Isn’t that what we want….revenue. TV time pays the bills, gets the players to sign. Plus new rivals. Let’s start over fresh
We're not defining "good competition", the networks are. And their idea of "good competition" is B10 vs SEC on every channel, every time slot, every week.

It will be fun when our entire athletic department and programs starts over fresh.

Reactions: Coug90
Not many butts or eyeballs in Wyoming, Idaho, New Mexico or Nevada.

We are on the west coast. With U$C, UCLA and other top draws gone the networks will have to make a decision. West coast games at night, play the mentioned teams early for their conference viewing and travel return time. No games at night for them, 2 hour time difference. What is ESPN going to air after 6 or 7. A 3-4 hr game, shower, media, plane ride home it may be 3-4 in the morning before landing. What coach wants that for his players. I think we can play this to our advantage. Hope I made clear, reads like mud

Reactions: justinbgocougs

And your point is what? Do you have some other option up your sleeve? Let's hear it.

The new playoff takes the top six ranked conference champs - meaning at least one G5 team gets in. We are more likely to make it than we had in the Pac12.

And F the playoff anyway. Who cares? We will NEVER be national champs.

We are on the west coast. With U$C, UCLA and other top draws gone the networks will have to make a decision. West coast games at night, play the mentioned teams early for their conference viewing and travel return time. No games at night for them, 2 hour time difference. What is ESPN going to air after 6 or 7. A 3-4 hr game, shower, media, plane ride home it may be 3-4 in the morning before landing. What coach wants that for his players. I think we can play this to our advantage. Hope I made clear, reads like mud
There are 10 teams west of the rockies that are members in the B1G or BXII, of which at least half will have a home game every week. Plug one of them into the 7pm time slot and problem solved

There are 10 teams west of the rockies that are members in the B1G or BXII, of which at least half will have a home game every week. Plug one of them into the 7pm time slot and problem solved
Where are you getting 10?

uw
Oregon
Utah
ASU
UA
Colorado (which is technically East of the Rockies)

That's 6.

If you count Stanford and Cal, that's still only 8 and they are ACC not B12 or B1G.

Edit - Shit I forgot all about FUSC and FUCLA! What a goon. So that gets you 8, 10 if you count Cal and Furd.

7PM Pacific is 10PM Eastern or 9PM Central. B1G and B12 will love that. Plus the extra long late night flight home.

Last edited:
okay that takes care of a couple weeks. AZ/ASU, U$C/UCLA CU/Utah are considered rivalry games and usually played last game of the season. UCF WV 2 hr time difference. Rutgers, Penn St, Perdue, Maryland have a nice flight home 3 hr time difference after a night game. It’s going to happen. Money talks. Corporate greed always win

uw
Oregon
Utah
ASU
UA

That's 6.

If you count Stanford and Cal, that's still only 8 and they are ACC not B12 or B1G.
And longer flights times. I see this whole thing blowing up in a couple of years

uw
Oregon
Utah
ASU
UA

That's 6.

Edit - Shit I forgot all about FUSC and FUCLA! What a goon. So that gets you 8, 10 if you count Cal and Furd.

7PM Pacific is 10PM Eastern or 9PM Central. B1G and B12 will love that. Plus the extra long late night flight home.
I forgot the ACC, but my point stands.

I didn't make this mess, this is what ESPN wanted. I'm sure the defectors will try to cram as many non-cons into those slots, BUT IT WILL NOT BE US!

Thanks for popping in Meister. And congrats on CSU (although I like the Rams and it is a hit to our SOS).

Oh and edit for WW fans - the deep discussions with the Mtn West are exactly along the lines of what I've been saying all along. And being panned by the Board.
You mean we went" hat in hand" and " begged them" to take us?

You mean we went" hat in hand" and " begged them" to take us?
I don't think so. Whatever the end story (merge into PAC, us capitulate and join them), it raises their profile and interest (and attendance as WSU will travel). I wouldn't mind going to Colorado Springs - I was born there.

okay that takes care of a couple weeks. AZ/ASU, U$C/UCLA CU/Utah are considered rivalry games and usually played last game of the season. UCF WV 2 hr time difference. Rutgers, Penn St, Perdue, Maryland have a nice flight home 3 hr time difference after a night game. It’s going to happen. Money talks. Corporate greed always win
Those teams will be expected to play their rivalry games when it's convenient for the conference. They won't be all be during the last week. I expect that the powers will try to create new rivalries to place during that week - ones that will outdraw the existing regional ones. Preferably, inter-regional rivalries that will pull down multiple markets. ASU-Houston, Arizona-UCF, etc. The Big 10 will try to bill multiple teams as rivalries for USC and UCLA, so they can cash in on them every year regardless of how schedules line up.

Someone on our board posted a tweet about UVA and UNC now making plans to leave the ACC after the 25/26 season and four other ACC schools having discussions with the B12. If all that happens the ACC will be in the same boat as you are in. At that time perhaps a merger of ACC, Pac-2, and MWC would help to keep the P5 status. Someone on our board suggested a East/West divisions would work. We would be something like a 20 team conference. Just something else to think about down the road in the very near future. I mean what the hell. Why not.

Your probably on the right track, but it's going to have to be the best of MWC, AAC, and PAC 2, and remaining ACC teams merging into a new conference.

That means that BSU, SDSU, Fresno St, UNLV, Utah St, Airforce, Memphis, Tulane, USF, WSU, OSU merge with what's left of ACC.

The MWC then raids the MAAC, C-USA, Sun Belt.

C-USA, MAAC, Sunbelt, grab get Montana St, Sacramento St, EWU, South Dakotah St, NDSU types from FCS.

Big Sky raids D3 types like Whitworth College, CWU, etc.

And your point is what? Do you have some other option up your sleeve? Let's hear it.

The new playoff takes the top six ranked conference champs - meaning at least one G5 team gets in. We are more likely to make it than we had in the Pac12.

And F the playoff anyway. Who cares? We will NEVER be national champs.

AAC champ could EASILY get into CFP over the MWC champ in the current way.

There can be only one. That means that both MWC, AAC champs do not get in, and that only one of them gets in

Your probably on the right track, but it's going to have to be the best of MWC, AAC, and PAC 2, and remaining ACC teams merging into a new conference.

That means that BSU, SDSU, Fresno St, UNLV, Utah St, Airforce, Memphis, Tulane, USF, WSU, OSU merge with what's left of ACC.

C-USA, MAAC, Sunbelt, grab get Montana St, Sacramento St, EWU, South Dakotah St, NDSU types from FCS.

Oh Mik, Mik. Mik. Liked how you slipped in your favorite teams. Run that by Gloria Nevarez.

Why would the Mtn West be able to poach another G5 conference as they will be left with the crappy teams?

In your Big Sky component, no way do Montana State and EWU go to FBS, And where's Montana?

Last edited:
Oh Mik, Mik. Mik. Liked how you slipped in your favorite teams. Run that by Glia Nevarez.

Why would the Mtn West be able to poach another G5 conference as they will be left with the crappy teams?

In your Big Sky component, no way do Montana State and EWU go to FBS, And where's Montana?
Because Air Force is in the Top’25 they can do whatever they damn well please! Piss off Loyal!

What I failed to think about when I read how the ACC looked to be on the path to collapse was that Stanford and Cal will need to find a new home. More than likely they will end up remaining in the Pac-4. You then add SMU and you now have a stronger base to build on. Add to that base five of the MWC schools then you've got something that would look more P5. That looks like something achievable after the 24/25 season.

The biggest danger that I see for WSU and OSU is the partnership discussions with the MWC. Can the feckless 10 paint that as WSU and OSU giving notice?

Easy to sell as a stop gap move to buy time for the conference to rebuild. Allows for two years of scheduled games in football and previews a group of teams which could jump into a reverse merger.

No, because there’s no rule against exploring possibilities. It’s against making an announcement that you’re leaving the conference.

We could even sign a deal, but if it’s not announced until Aug 2, we don’t violate the bylaws. (Not that I think we should do that…no way it stays quiet)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT