ADVERTISEMENT

Hypothetical: would you be more, or less confident about ...

YakiCoug

Hall Of Fame
Jan 6, 2003
WSU's chances for a winning season and bowl game IF Connor Halliday returned as WSU's starting quarterback?
Yes, he didn't play defense and special teams a year ago, but with a few discounting Luke Falk's 1,800-plus passing yards and 13 TDs in slightly more than three games, the sky could be falling.

WSU's chances for a winning season and bowl game IF Connor Halliday returned as WSU's starting quarterback?
Yes, he didn't play defense and special teams a year ago, but with a few discounting Luke Falk's 1,800-plus passing yards and 13 TDs in slightly more than three games, the sky could be falling.

If you convert his number of attempts (46.2% of Halliday) Luke exceeded total yards (1859 actual vs 1759) and was 13 td's (actual) vs 15....so real close there. With all this further time in as the starter and it's not hard to predict he does better than CH.

Luke Falk's PER is solid and only a few points behind Halliday. There shouldn't be much drop off. The fact that record setting QB play wasn't good enough last year to overcome our defense and special teams doesn't bode well for a bowl game. Falk would have to take it to a new level to compensate, if the D and STs don't improve.

I'm at least as confident in Falk. Halliday was a very good thrower at QB, but wasn't that mobile, was prone to letting his emotions get to him in unproductive ways, and--based on all available evidence--didn't check to runs effectively. We also are able to add a wrinkle of going under center now that Halliday has moved on.

This isn't to hate on Halliday at all. The guy was a warrior and developed very well during his years at WSU. He was very effective at cutting down his turnovers over the course of his career, and I would be more confident in a theoretical 2015 Halliday avoiding picks than I am Falk. That said, I'm looking forward to seeing the offense run a bit differently and believe it can be more effective at getting points on the board.

Connor really improved his last year, taking what was available and trying less to force the issue. Would it be nice to have him back? Of course, but everyone leaves eventually and the cupboard is certainly not bare. Falk or Bender will be fine. Falk's tendency to use the run more than Halliday may make up to some degree for his lack of extensive experience. Do not know what Bender's tendencies are in this regard. Anyway, out with the old and in with the new.

Socal's comment about any success in the coming season depending on improving defense and special teams, not the offense, is spot on.

Experience helps tremendously, but QB we will be fine. Halliday still made me nervous last year and Falk I think has a higher upside than Halliday. As Halliday said himself "The guy that comes after me is going to break all the records".

He could see what Leach is building. We need to move forward. Our offense is ready to start its biggest strides. Defense and special teams are the next areas we need to improve. We do that and we will be in good shape.

Experience helps tremendously, but QB we will be fine. Halliday still made me nervous last year and Falk I think has a higher upside than Halliday. As Halliday said himself "The guy that comes after me is going to break all the records".

He could see what Leach is building. We need to move forward. Our offense is ready to start its biggest strides. Defense and special teams are the next areas we need to improve. We do that and we will be in good shape.

Oh, stop sucking down the Kool-Aid, you leech... :)

15.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT