ADVERTISEMENT

John Mateer ~ hang on to your hat...! Cannot wait.

M-I-Coug

Hall Of Fame
Oct 13, 2002
Mercer Island
The future looks bright, and you can't help from being excited:

True freshman quarterback John Mateer and rookie cornerback Javan Robinson drew praise this week from their older teammates.

“John’s intangible pieces are off the chart,” Dickert said. “Then his physical tools … he’s got such a quick trigger. He’s just so different.”

Mateer won a three-man competition in the preseason for WSU’s backup job. The dual-threat QB from the Dallas area made his first career appearance Nov. 5, playing the entire fourth quarter of WSU’s blowout win over Stanford. Mateer went 2 for 2 for 32 yards and a touchdown, contributing 59 yards on four carries. Dickert has sensed an uptick in Mateer’s confidence at practice since his performance versus the Cardinal.

“John Mateer is a baller,” Watson said.

“That kid’s work ethic is next to none,” Jackson said. “It’s insane the amount of time he spends going through extra progressions. I see him in the gym every single night, just getting extra work in. … I think he’s going to be a phenomenal player. He already has that little leadership role down pat. He’s only a freshman, but he still commands the attention of the offense when he goes out there.”

The backup QB is often the most popular guy on the team and I normally don't buy into that....but Mateer really impressed me in mop-up duty a couple weeks back. I hated the anti-Brink and anti-Tuel commentary back in the day and felt that they were the best options we have.

With all of the questionable decisions that I've seen out of Ward this year, Mateer is the first backup that I've been really excited about in a while. As mentioned above, competition is good and I hope that Mateer makes Ward better and is willing to wait a year or so to get his shot. If he ends up better than Ward, I hope that the best guy starts.

The backup QB is often the most popular guy on the team and I normally don't buy into that....but Mateer really impressed me in mop-up duty a couple weeks back. I hated the anti-Brink and anti-Tuel commentary back in the day and felt that they were the best options we have.

With all of the questionable decisions that I've seen out of Ward this year, Mateer is the first backup that I've been really excited about in a while. As mentioned above, competition is good and I hope that Mateer makes Ward better and is willing to wait a year or so to get his shot. If he ends up better than Ward, I hope that the best guy starts.
He uses the entire offense. The mesh isnt just a hand off for him. Ward reminds me of Lobster in one regard. UCLA back in the day 2011 was crashing their end hard. Lobster never pulled it. If he did he would still be running today. Ward isn't reading anything it is a hand off, he isn't going to make the end play honest.

The future looks bright, and you can't help from being excited:

True freshman quarterback John Mateer and rookie cornerback Javan Robinson drew praise this week from their older teammates.

“John’s intangible pieces are off the chart,” Dickert said. “Then his physical tools … he’s got such a quick trigger. He’s just so different.”

Mateer won a three-man competition in the preseason for WSU’s backup job. The dual-threat QB from the Dallas area made his first career appearance Nov. 5, playing the entire fourth quarter of WSU’s blowout win over Stanford. Mateer went 2 for 2 for 32 yards and a touchdown, contributing 59 yards on four carries. Dickert has sensed an uptick in Mateer’s confidence at practice since his performance versus the Cardinal.

“John Mateer is a baller,” Watson said.

“That kid’s work ethic is next to none,” Jackson said. “It’s insane the amount of time he spends going through extra progressions. I see him in the gym every single night, just getting extra work in. … I think he’s going to be a phenomenal player. He already has that little leadership role down pat. He’s only a freshman, but he still commands the attention of the offense when he goes out there.”

QB room is STACKED with Cam, Mateer, X Ward.

Nice to have a good QB room, good competition

Reactions: M-I-Coug
I know Mateer a little. Let’s not get carried away. It was 1 quarter in mop up duty.

Not saying I didn’t like what I saw, but let’s not crown him yet…..

I know Mateer a little. Let’s not get carried away. It was 1 quarter in mop up duty.

Not saying I didn’t like what I saw, but let’s not crown him yet…..
Why not? There has been a lot of buzz about him within the program since he arrived in Pullman. No reason not to hype him. I want him to stay and take over as a RS Sophomore. I promise you that Morris and Dickert are telling him the same thing.

Why not? There has been a lot of buzz about him within the program since he arrived in Pullman. No reason not to hype him. I want him to stay and take over as a RS Sophomore. I promise you that Morris and Dickert are telling him the same thing.
I like what we’ve heard, and the little we’ve seen. But I’m not going to get too excited until we see more than a mop-up drive in a blowout against a bad team. Let me see him against the 1’s.

Reactions: kougkurt

Not saying I didn’t like what I saw, but let’s not crown him yet…
Agree. I personally want him to start the Apple Cup, but that would mean benching CW, and although the coaches & players want to win, ...I can't see them benching CW, unless he's a disaster against AZ, which won't necessarily happen, because Arizona's defense is their biggest weakness.

Of course... part of it is our O-Line, too. But....I think we would have a better chance beating the Huskies with John as the starter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alpine Cougar
Agree. I personally want him to start the Apple Cup, but that would mean benching CW, and although the coaches & players want to win, ...I can't see them benching CW, unless he's a disaster against AZ, which won't necessarily happen, because Arizona's defense is awful.
Dude, they're not benching Ward. He's a sophomore. We're 6-4. Apart from the 2nd half last week, we've blown the doors off of two conference opponents the past 2 weeks.

If we benched Ward and it goes badly. Can you imagine?

Reactions: longtimecoug
Dude, they're not benching Ward. He's a sophomore. We're 6-4. Apart from the 2nd half last week, we've blown the doors off of two conference opponents the past 2 weeks.

We sound like the UW and the desire to see baby huard …. Four picks later

I didn't say we're benching Ward. I said, I believe we have a better chance of beating the Huskies with Mateer.

Maybe against Arizona, with a 14-point lead, Ward’s helmet can come off so he has to sit a play. Then we let Mateer finish the drive and see what happens

I didn't say we're benching Ward. I said, I believe we have a better chance of beating the Huskies with Mateer.
I know you didn't. It's just that if we bench Ward, we're betting on a Freshman with 2 series vs. a sophomore who's won 6 games. Too risky at this point.

But you want to throw a rookie out there with no game experience? Sounds like a panicked move to me.
I don't look at it that way, (panic). I look at.... whatever it takes and what are the best chances to beat the visiting team in purple?

Last edited:
Like I said above....I'm excited about Mateer....but it really is something that should be saved for the offseason for any real competition. As mentioned above by CougPatrol, it would be career suicide for Dickert if he benches a QB with a winning record and things go poorly.

Like I said above....I'm excited about Mateer....but it really is something that should be saved for the offseason for any real competition. As mentioned above by CougPatrol, it would be career suicide for Dickert if he benches a QB with a winning record and things go poorly.
Fair enough. Nobody wishes career suicide for Dickert. Agreed.

Redshirt, 3rd year Sophomore, not a true sophomore.

But close enough, still valid point.

Agree. I personally want him to start the Apple Cup, but that would mean benching CW, and although the coaches & players want to win, ...I can't see them benching CW, unless he's a disaster against AZ, which won't necessarily happen, because Arizona's defense is their biggest weakness.

Of course... part of it is our O-Line, too. But....I think we would have a better chance beating the Huskies with John as the starter.
absurd

Ward has not played so well this year that there shouldnt be someone competing for the job. He could easily be beaten out by a transfer or in spring ball.

Fair enough. Nobody wishes career suicide for Dickert. Agreed.
Mateer is also still a freshman. If Dickert and Morris are smart, and I'm sure they are in this regard, they'll sit Mateer down and walk him through the benefits of sticking around. The worst case scenario is that you back up Ward again in 2023 and take over the starting job as a sophomore. If you transfer, you might start next season, but there are more risks and question marks associated with transferring.

I would love to see a legitimate dual threat QB at WSU.

Kind of unfair because it's all 5* kids, but even having mildly good speed/size has been a game-changer with Georgia's mediocre QB Stetson Bennett. Just having that 3rd option of the occasional designed run/option or scramble loosens up the pressure on the other options. Would love to see us do the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: BiggsCoug
I would love to see a legitimate threat QB at WSU.

Kind of unfair because it's all 5* kids, but even having mildly good speed/size has been a game-changer with Georgia's mediocre QB Stetson Bennett. Just having that 3rd option of the occasional designed run/option or scramble loosens up the pressure on the other options. Would love to see us do the same.

3.5 star QB recruit Sam Leavitt is AWESOME, tearing it up, etc, according to the experts.

And X Ward, is also good.

So a QB room of Cam, Mateer, X Ward, Brown, 3.5 STAR QB recruit Sam Leavitt, and whoever Dickert gets, whether transfer QB, or another HS QB recruit, is a FREAKING BLOODY DAMN AWESOME QB ROOM NEXT SEASON.

With what WSU is bring back:

1. Much better O Line.

2. QB room.

3. Jenkins, and maybe Watson(Think he has a COVID year left)

4. Struggling, Ollie, Victor, LOADED WR CORP, despite losing Bell.

5. Brennan Jackson and Ron Stone on DL again(Juniors, Seniors, or COVID Years, and Pule, Nasani coming back as well as Mujah coming back for 5 year senior or COVID year.

6. Only losing Henly at LB, BUT replaced by Fred Magoa(Misspelled, don't know spelling), and Travion Brown.

7. Might lose Langford, and Marsh, but have Jordan Lee, Jayden Hicks, Chao, etc.

So WSU should be about either about 8-4 at worst, 9-3 at average, 10-2, 11-1 at best next season.

That's how good the team, and the QB room is, as long as OC MORRIS doesn't revert and eff it up.

I think Cam will improve, get better(He is just a sophomore and adjusting to going from FCS to P5, and MORRIS HASNT DONE A GOOD JOB COACHING HIM, CALLING GOOD PLAYS FOR HIM), and just barely by skin of teeth beat out Mateer.

But even if Mateer gets beat out he will probably start after Cam leaves. But that said, X Ward, and Sam Leavitt, and transfer QB, might probably give some extremely good competition to Mateer.
But despite that I think Mateer will just barely by skin of teeth beat out the competition for starter after Cam leaves.

But whoever is starter next season, whether that's Cam, or Mateer or a Transfer QB is extremely likely to, probably will lead WSU to a awesome season next year.

That's how good the QB room and team is, as long as the OC, MORRIS doesn't EFF IT UP.

COMPETITION OF A GOOD QB ROOM IS A GOOD THING, SEMI PROBLEM TO HAVE.

3.5 star QB recruit Sam Leavitt is AWESOME, tearing it up, etc, according to the experts.

So a QB room of Cam, Mateer, X Ward, Brown, 3.5 STAR QB recruit Sam Leavitt, and whoever Dickert gets, whether transfer QB, or another HS QB recruit, is a FREAKING BLOODY DAMN AWESOME QB ROOM NEXT SEASON.

1. Much better O Line.

2. QB room.

5. Brennan Jackson and Ron Stone on DL again(Juniors, Seniors, or COVID Years, and Pule, Nasani coming back as well as Mujah coming back for 5 year senior or COVID year.

6. Only losing Henly at LB, BUT replaced by Fred Magoa(Misspelled, don't know spelling), and Travion Brown.

7. Might lose Langford, and Marsh, but have Jordan Lee, Jayden Hicks, Chao, etc.

So WSU should be about either about 8-4 at worst, 9-3 at average, 10-2, 11-1 at best next season.

That's how good the team, and the QB room is, as long as OC MORRIS doesn't revert and eff it up.

I think Cam will improve, get better(He is just a sophomore and adjusting to going from FCS to P5, and MORRIS HASNT DONE A GOOD JOB COACHING HIM, CALLING GOOD PLAYS FOR HIM), and just barely by skin of teeth beat out Mateer.

But even if Mateer gets beat out he will probably start after Cam leaves. But that said, X Ward, and Sam Leavitt, and transfer QB, might probably give some extremely good competition to Mateer.
But despite that I think Mateer will just barely by skin of teeth beat out the competition for starter after Cam leaves.

But whoever is starter next season, whether that's Cam, or Mateer or a Transfer QB is extremely likely to, probably will lead WSU to a awesome season next year.

That's how good the QB room and team is, as long as the OC, MORRIS doesn't EFF IT UP.

You forgot about Schlenbaker. I would put him behind Watson.

Last edited:

1. Much better O Line.

2. QB room.

Mik, cool your jets on Sam. I stop paying attention to what HS QBs are doing. Bruggman was supposed to be great, and there was one other kid in the Leach era I think who was supposedly one of the best QBs in the country in HS. These HS QBs are a crapshoot. P5 is such a different speed.

Mik, cool your jets on Sam. I stop paying attention to what HS QBs are doing. Bruggman was supposed to be great, and there was one other kid in the Leach era I think who was supposedly one of the best QBs in the country in HS. These HS QBs are a crapshoot. P5 is such a different speed.
And I thought Gary Rogers was going to shock the world!

Reactions: Coug90
You forgot about Schlenbaker. I would put him behind Watson.

Jenkins has done way the hell better then Schlen.

Jenkins had about 35, 50, 65, 75, 85, 100, 125, 150, 175, as a GENERAL RANGE per game(Meaning that what he actually got was on that scale, range).

And he averaged about 5.75 yards per carry.

And in 1 game he averaged, got 7 yards per carry.

And he is shifty, elusive, fast, quick, speedy, ELECTRIC, GAME BREAKING.

And he had about 2,3,4 about 19 to 38 to 43 yard runs.

And he had about 1,2,3 about 29 to 39 to 50+ yard receptions.

Schlen has NOT proved he is better than ALL THAT.

Jenkins is BETTER then Schlen SO FAR, and Schlen has only had about 5 to 10 to 15 reps, snaps all year long, and has only averaged about 3.85 yards per carry, and is often famine or feast, and his famines are often only about 1,2,3 yards, and he gets only 1,2,3 yards about 49+% of the time, and has only gotten about 1,2,3,4 runs of about 7 to 10 to 13 to 15 to 17 yards.

Jenkins is the more electric, game breaking, more consistently higher, better production, yards per carry, etc, and is better then Schlen.

And that's as a True burned redshirt Freshman.

No way is Schlen ahead of Jenkins.

Last edited:
Jenkins has done way the hell better then Schlen.

Jenkins had about 35, 50, 65, 75, 85, 100, 125, 150, 175, as a GENERAL RANGE per game(Meaning that what he actually got was on that scale, range).

And he averaged about 5.75 yards per carry.

And in 1 game he averaged, got 7 yards per carry.

And he is shifty, elusive, fast, quick, speedy, ELECTRIC, GAME BREAKING.

And he had about 2,3,4 about 19 to 38 to 43 yard runs.

And he had about 1,2,3 about 29 to 39 to 50+ yard receptions.

Schlen has NOT proved he is better than ALL THAT.

Jenkins is BETTER then Schlen SO FAR, and Schlen has only had about 5 to 10 to 15 reps, snaps all year long, and has only averaged about 3.85 yards per carry, and is often famine or feast, and his famines are often only about 1,2,3 yards, and he gets only 1,2,3 yards about 49+% of the time, and has only gotten about 1,2,3,4 runs of about 7 to 10 to 13 to 15 to 17 yards.

Jenkins is the more electric, game breaking, more consistently higher, better production, yards per carry, etc, and is better then Schlen.

And that's as a True burned redshirt Freshman.

No way is Schlen ahead of Jenkins.
Fact check based on a simple, easy-for-anyone-to-do look at the online statistics at wsucougars.com: Schlenbaker has played in 1 game and has had 4 carries all year. He's averaging 12.5 yards per carry in very small sample size. He was slated to redshirt and still will be a redshirt despite getting action in the Stanford game. Schlenbaker is not feast or famine....not possible when you only have 4 carries on the year. However, if you need to label him, he's been feast. His 4 carries were runs of 4, 34, 8, and 4 yards. I don't see the famine.

Glad Cougar

Jenkins played Texas high school football. Schlenbaker played 2A ball at Squalicum High School in Bellingham.

Jenkins was farther along at the start of the season, and he's the speed back compliment to Watson. Schlenbaker needed time to develop, but he's already a legit 6' / 215lbs and is very well regarded in the program. He'll be ready next year, but even more so in 2024 where we could have Mateer at QB with Jenkins and Schlenbaker at RB.

Reactions: mikalalas
Fact check based on a simple, easy-for-anyone-to-do look at the online statistics at wsucougars.com: Schlenbaker has played in 1 game and has had 4 carries all year. He's averaging 12.5 yards per carry in very small sample size. He was slated to redshirt and still will be a redshirt despite getting action in the Stanford game. Schlenbaker is not feast or famine....not possible when you only have 4 carries on the year. However, if you need to label him, he's been feast. His 4 carries were runs of 4, 34, 8, and 4 yards. I don't see the famine.

Glad Cougar

Schlen had 1,2 carries of about 12.5+ yards per carry, which is feasting,

He had about 2 carries of 1.5,2,2.5,3,3.5 yards, which is semi famine.

The average of the 2 both feast, semi famine, looks good, but as you said SMALL sample size.

And there is a reason for that.

1. They want Schlen to get more developed

2. He is NOT as ready, good, electric as Jenkins

3. They want Schlen and Jenkins offset, on a different schedule of college eligibility, so that if Jenkins stays, starts at WSU for 4 years, Schlen would have 1 year as a possible starter AFTER Jenkins gone.

Schlen is a POWER, FB/RB type.

Those types while they can break a tackle, bust a 10 to 15 to 20 yard gain about 15 to 23 to 33% of time, about 49% of time they get 1,2,3,4 yards and a clod, cloud of dirt, as they run into the teeth of the defense, up the middle.

Schlen types have the more, most value, as a back up to the starter, whether Watson or Jenkins, as a CHANGE of pace, kind of like Len Dale White to Reggie Bush, situational co starter on occasion at best.

And in the 4th quarter, an or at END OF game, WHEN DEFENSE IS TIRED, WORN OUT, a Schlen type has the most value, can consistently get 4.7 to 9 yards per carry.

But if have Schlen types be the starter, about 49% of time they are going to usually only get about 1,2,3,4 yards per carry, and can semi easier to SHUT down UNLESS have Seattle Seahawks kind of O Line, then can have Marshawn Lynch Beast Mode success.

Sans something like that Jenkins will probably be, should be a, the starter, with Schlen being a CHANGE OF PACE, used in 2nd half, when Jenkins needs a breather, break, is worn out, etc,vto prevent injury to Jenkins.

Jenkins will probably be #2 behind Watson, not Schlen.

Jenkins is, will be more consistently good then Schlen.

Jenkins ALMOST ALWAYS, USUALLY won't get stuffed for only 1,2 yards.

Schlen is also more suitable as SHORT YARDAGE, 3rd and 2.5 to go, GOAL LINE back, then Jenkins.

DIFFERENT ROLES.

And Jenkins role should be as starter over Schlen.

The average of the 2 both feast, semi famine, looks good, but as you said SMALL sample size.

And there is a reason for that.

1. They want Schlen to get more developed

2. He is NOT as ready, good, electric as Jenkins

3. They want Schlen and Jenkins offset, on a different schedule of college eligibility, so that if Jenkins stays, starts at WSU for 4 years, Schlen would have 1 year as a possible starter AFTER Jenkins gone.

Schlen is a POWER, FB/RB type.

Those types while they can break a tackle, bust a 10 to 15 to 20 yard gain about 15 to 23 to 33% of time, about 49% of time they get 1,2,3,4 yards and a clod, cloud of dirt, as they run into the teeth of the defense, up the middle.

Schlen types have the more, most value, as a back up to the starter, whether Watson or Jenkins, as a CHANGE of pace, kind of like Len Dale White to Reggie Bush, situational co starter on occasion at best.

And in the 4th quarter, an or at END OF game, WHEN DEFENSE IS TIRED, WORN OUT, a Schlen type has the most value, can consistently get 4.7 to 9 yards per carry.

But if have Schlen types be the starter, about 49% of time they are going to usually only get about 1,2,3,4 yards per carry, and can semi easier to SHUT down UNLESS have Seattle Seahawks kind of O Line, then can have Marshawn Lynch Beast Mode success.

Sans something like that Jenkins will probably be, should be a, the starter, with Schlen being a CHANGE OF PACE, used in 2nd half, when Jenkins needs a breather, break, is worn out, etc,vto prevent injury to Jenkins.

Jenkins will probably be #2 behind Watson, not Schlen.

Jenkins is, will be more consistently good then Schlen.

Jenkins ALMOST ALWAYS, USUALLY won't get stuffed for only 1,2 yards.

Schlen is also more suitable as SHORT YARDAGE, 3rd and 2.5 to go, GOAL LINE back, then Jenkins.

DIFFERENT ROLES.

And Jenkins role should be as starter over Schlen.

Also part of why some of Schlen's carries looked good is because of the timing, play calls by Morris, and GOING AGAINST NOT ONLY A WEAKER DEFENSE, BUT GOING AGAINST THE OTHER TEAM'S 2'S, AND 3'S

Jenkins has had AWESOME production against a couple, few, some semi somewhat better defenses, and AGAINST THE 1'S.

If Jenkins got to go up against not only weaker defenses, but also 2's and 3's deeps, Jenkins would not only get, average about 10 to 15 to 20 yards a carry, but he would have the occasional 30, 35, 40+ GAME BREAKER, as that's how ELECTRIC Jenkins is.

The problem with Jenkins this season is that he can't pass protect....at all.

He's not physically there yet.

No, Mik. Read what I wrote. Or look it up for yourself. SCHLEN HAS HAD 4 CARRIES THIS SEASON. HIS FIRST RUN WAS FOR 4 YARDS. HIS SECOND RUN WAS FOR 34 YARDS. HIS THIRD RUN WAS FOR 8 YARDS. HIS FOURTH RUN WAS FOR 4 YARDS. AT NO TIME DID HE RUN FOR ANYTHING LESS THAN 4 YARDS.

Glad Cougar

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT