ADVERTISEMENT

Luke Falk by the numbers

Cougatron

Hall Of Fame
Oct 17, 2012
Okay so I may be a little too harsh on Falk, but he does need to get rid of the ball quicker. That's his achilles heel right now, but I wanted to assess how he's done vs Halliday in 2013 (His first year as a starter)

Now Halliday in 2013 played 5 games before October
Auburn,USC, Southern Utah, Idaho, Stanford

Attempts 223 Comps 148 PCt. 66.4 yards 1472 yds/att 6.6 TDs 10 Ints 9 QBR 128.55 Yds/game 294.4

Now here is Falk in 4 games up to October 3rd.

Attempts 201 Comps 146 Pct. 72.6 yards 1459 7.3 attempt TDs 10 int 2 QBR 148 yds/game 364

So with 1 fewer games Falk is putting up better numbers.

Now you can look at it and say well Halliday played Auburn USC, and Stanford which are much better defensive teams than Rutgers, Cal,

And that is very true

Portland State probably better than Southern Utah

Wyoming and Idaho are a push.

So while Halliday played better teams he also got a full extra game, and he also got the blowout performances against Idaho and Southern Utah. So it all sort of balances out.

While the 9 interceptions Halliday had definitely sticks outs... the sacks allowed are also quite interesting.

For 5 games Halliday was sacked 9 times where as Falk was sacked 11 times in 4.

So this sort of confirms sacks to Falk is like interceptions to Halliday

now obviously an interception is worse, but this highlights how each had a fundamental issue that the needed to resolve. Hallidays was thinking before he throws...Falks is thinking too much.

But as to my comments about maybe looking to bench Falk if this isn't addressed in the next few games.is too hasty. He is out performing Halliday and if Halliday could correct his issue so can Falk.

Halliday threw his last 3+ interception game in 2013 against Oregon mid October. From that point on he never threw more than 2 a game.

That was about the 8th game of the year. Luke has only played 4 this year. So he still has about 4 more games to sort through this if he follows a similar pattern. Since he seems to be progressing quicker than Halliday I would think he would be able to take care of this issue fairly soon, but he's definitely on track to be as good if not better than Halliday in the future.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT