ADVERTISEMENT

Made the mistake of asking an ISU fan why they were so bent about the refs...

BleedCrimsonandGray

Hall Of Fame
Oct 2, 2007
From a reddit post - (BCG commentary in red)

"
Yep, here's where we stand.

1.) The false starts on ISU were definitely warranted, our issue with the false starts is that they were ignored several times for WSU. I counted at least 4 times where I could noticeably see WSU's left tackle move before the snap and not one of them were called, including on a TD pass. This is just bullshit and a huge differentiator in the game. No mention of the false start that allowed them to get a touchdown. Yes, we got away with ONE. Not sure what broadcast he was watching.

2). The targeting penalties...I don't think any of us necessarily question the first penalty on Harvey, but our argument is that Minshew didn't slide and was a runner downfield. In addition it was a 3rd down play that led to a first down which sucks and ejected one of our best defenders. Granted, we can at least agree where this call was coming from. That second targeting thought? Complete horseshit. That defender was coming in low and yes thier helmets touched but that was it. There was 0 force from that hit and it was essentially caused by the defender falling onto Minshew. Yes, his helmet popped off, but that was because it was pushed from underneath. Watch the replay again. This call was a HUGE game changer because it turned a 4th down into a first down, Campbell blew up and take ker on an additional 15 yards, and WSU ended up scoring a TD (on their false start play). It was a drive of bullshit built on shitty calls where WSU was pretty much given a free TD. They obviously aren't as desensitized to any helmet to helmet being called targeting as we are in the P12, which makes me wonder what the B12 refs are letting go. Regardless, by letter of the law it was targeting, not sure why there is a bitch.

3.) Hakeem Butler was consistently mugged. I fact on a pass to him in the end zone his left arm was literally being held onto by WSU's DB while he had to go for a one handed catch that he couldn't quite haul in. This is BS because the ref was just a few feet away. This play was ultimately brought back by an illegal man downfield, but it should have been offsetting penaties giving us another shot. Just another example of ridiculous favortism. Interesting since we played zone bracket coverage on him at least half the game, but ok.

4). That fumble from Montgomery. In any other game the whistle blows because no more forward progress. The Fumble caused when he is stood up for 30 seconds is BS and something that can't be reviewed (forwarded progress) "stood up for 30 seconds"... I won't even touch this one

5). The Eaton catch. How the **** can someone take 3 steps with a ball and fall down yet still be called an incomplete pass? That was a HUGE 3rd down play. They didn't even review it on thier own!!! We had to waste our last TO challenging an obvious catch where the replay booth came back in 5 seconds confirming our was a drop!! W....T....F!!!! The replay booth spent 5 mins replaying Purdy's TD Rin where he was 3 yards into the EZ, but this drop was so obvious it only took looking for 5 secs?? Dude, that is shady as ****. This is a legit gripe. We argued back and forth at our house about whether it was a catch or fumble or incomplete. Who knows, I think you could make legitimate cases for both incomplete and for catch.

Edit: I also want to say that although I think the refs sucked balls in no way do I hold any of that against WSU. They took advantage and didn't make the same mistakes we did. I respect the hell out of the crazy pirate Mike Leach and miss him in the Big12. Congrats on the great season Cougs."

Hope we don't sound this crazy after the USC game. Also, I'm going to make sure my ref gripes don't fall into conspiracy theory realm in the future.

"

1.) The false starts on ISU were definitely warranted, our issue with the false starts is that they were ignored several times for WSU. I counted at least 4 times where I could noticeably see WSU's left tackle move before the snap and not one of them were called, including on a TD pass. This is just bullshit and a huge differentiator in the game. No mention of the false start that allowed them to get a touchdown. Yes, we got away with ONE. Not sure what broadcast he was watching.

2). The targeting penalties...I don't think any of us necessarily question the first penalty on Harvey, but our argument is that Minshew didn't slide and was a runner downfield. In addition it was a 3rd down play that led to a first down which sucks and ejected one of our best defenders. Granted, we can at least agree where this call was coming from. That second targeting thought? Complete horseshit. That defender was coming in low and yes thier helmets touched but that was it. There was 0 force from that hit and it was essentially caused by the defender falling onto Minshew. Yes, his helmet popped off, but that was because it was pushed from underneath. Watch the replay again. This call was a HUGE game changer because it turned a 4th down into a first down, Campbell blew up and take ker on an additional 15 yards, and WSU ended up scoring a TD (on their false start play). It was a drive of bullshit built on shitty calls where WSU was pretty much given a free TD. They obviously aren't as desensitized to any helmet to helmet being called targeting as we are in the P12, which makes me wonder what the B12 refs are letting go. Regardless, by letter of the law it was targeting, not sure why there is a bitch.

3.) Hakeem Butler was consistently mugged. I fact on a pass to him in the end zone his left arm was literally being held onto by WSU's DB while he had to go for a one handed catch that he couldn't quite haul in. This is BS because the ref was just a few feet away. This play was ultimately brought back by an illegal man downfield, but it should have been offsetting penaties giving us another shot. Just another example of ridiculous favortism. Interesting since we played zone bracket coverage on him at least half the game, but ok.

4). That fumble from Montgomery. In any other game the whistle blows because no more forward progress. The Fumble caused when he is stood up for 30 seconds is BS and something that can't be reviewed (forwarded progress) "stood up for 30 seconds"... I won't even touch this one

5). The Eaton catch. How the **** can someone take 3 steps with a ball and fall down yet still be called an incomplete pass? That was a HUGE 3rd down play. They didn't even review it on thier own!!! We had to waste our last TO challenging an obvious catch where the replay booth came back in 5 seconds confirming our was a drop!! W....T....F!!!! The replay booth spent 5 mins replaying Purdy's TD Rin where he was 3 yards into the EZ, but this drop was so obvious it only took looking for 5 secs?? Dude, that is shady as ****. This is a legit gripe. We argued back and forth at our house about whether it was a catch or fumble or incomplete. Who knows, I think you could make legitimate cases for both incomplete and for catch.

Edit: I also want to say that although I think the refs sucked balls in no way do I hold any of that against WSU. They took advantage and didn't make the same mistakes we did. I respect the hell out of the crazy pirate Mike Leach and miss him in the Big12. Congrats on the great season Cougs."

Hope we don't sound this crazy after the USC game. Also, I'm going to make sure my ref gripes don't fall into conspiracy theory realm in the future.

You reddit too, BC&G??

You reddit too, BC&G??
Bad habit now, but yes.

It used to be a great aggregation site for all things internet, but now its a toxic cesspool. I have basically all the default subs turned off because reddit is basically MSNBC now, and the echo chamber is strong there.

/r/CFB, /r/Seahawks, and a couple of other personal interests are pretty much all I sub to.

Reddit is great, as long as you go to the subs that interest you and remove the r/all general crap. Sure people will downvote you at times for differing opinions but that’s about it. Also moderators can be awful....I cannot post in r/ncaab for 3 years because I made a distasteful joke about Gonzaga in zag moderated thread.

Reddit is great, as long as you go to the subs that interest you and remove the r/all general crap. Sure people will downvote you at times for differing opinions but that’s about it. Also moderators can be awful....I cannot post in r/ncaab for 3 years because I made a distasteful joke about Gonzaga in zag moderated thread.
You sure you weren't on BX? Probably same mods, tbh...

Bad habit now, but yes.

It used to be a great aggregation site for all things internet, but now its a toxic cesspool. I have basically all the default subs turned off because reddit is basically MSNBC now, and the echo chamber is strong there.

/r/CFB, /r/Seahawks, and a couple of other personal interests are pretty much all I sub to.

Yeah, I stick to what I know and what I want to follow and that's pretty much it. Was curious if you lurked or posted in /r/cfb or not.

God bless ya

"

Did he complain about the taunting call? The PI call against us that should have been an offensive PI? The 2 other targeting incidents against them that weren’t called just previous to their first ejection? (Sideline vs Calvin).

Thanks for the summation of their gripes.

My response would be similar to USC's response to our argument about the no-call on Gustin's late and dangerous hit on GM2. That is, despite all the bad calls or no-calls, the players ultimately had the opportunity to decide the game at its finish.

We could have converted a very makeable FG to to tie the game and win in OT. The kick was blocked. That is on the players.

Likewise, ISU had a couple opportunities late. They scored a late TD, but failed to convert a 2 point conversion. That is on the players. Then, down 2 with 4 minutes of clock left and ZERO timeouts, they decided to kick it deep instead of going for an onside kick. They dared WSU to pick up 2 first downs (granted the offense had been struggling to convert throughout the second half) and WE DID IT with relative ease. (ESPN commentators were calling Patmon's catch some type of miracle play. BS. It's clear that play is rehearsed, rehearsed again and rehearsed some more -- maybe even for situations like this one where we need a first down. In past games, it has been a timing out route to Sweet on the sidelines.) Again, that is on the players. The players ultimately decided this game.

In the end their turnovers killed them, take care of the ball and the 'Clones would have had the win....just happy they didn't! :)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT