ADVERTISEMENT

Minshew getting paid

Raiders! He will adapt. If the O line holds together he will probably get the starting job and not lose it unless or until the Raiders take a QB in the first round at some point.

Reactions: COUGinNCW
Not sure I really like the situation for him. Mediocre OL, they just lost their most talented RB (although Zamir White shows some promise), and they don't have a reliable receiving corps.

Not sure I really like the situation for him. Mediocre OL, they just lost their most talented RB (although Zamir White shows some promise), and they don't have a reliable receiving corps.
At least he's used to that and similar situations ... seriously, though, I am with you that it still isn't ideal. Glad he's getting at least $15m, though. That's really good to see.

My understanding is they will buy a couple of defensive free agents that can help them this go round. That means they will have some replaced D guys they can swap to help in O positions; might get some marginal help that way. You'd expect a little O draft help if their D free agent purchases go well. RB and receiver are some quick help areas for which they could use the draft. O linemen are usually not optimal as rookies, so it will be interesting to see if they try to draft someone on the O line with the idea of building...or not. Both we and Gardner will have a pretty good idea of what he is working with by the end of April.

Reactions: mikalalas
At least he's used to that and similar situations ... seriously, though, I am with you that it still isn't ideal. Glad he's getting at least $15m, though. That's really good to see.
Agreed, rocks. I like the guarantee. Wonder if that is Year 1's salary?

Their OLine ain’t that bad. Played better after McDipshit got fired. It’s probably the most talented team he’s been apart of. The coaching there was horrible. I think he’ll do well. Too bad I hate the raiders.

Their OLine ain’t that bad. Played better after McDipshit got fired. It’s probably the most talented team he’s been apart of. The coaching there was horrible. I think he’ll do well. Too bad I hate the raiders.
Have to agree that it is prob the most talented roster he has been on. Let's see how free agency finishes up, and then what they do in the draft. Also agree with another poster that they need a few better targets for those passes.

Have to agree that it is prob the most talented roster he has been on. Let's see how free agency finishes up, and then what they do in the draft. Also agree with another poster that they need a few better targets for those passes.
Easy to do when you are paying your QB 1/4 of what many other teams are paying. They should be able to put together a formidable roster.

Easy to do when you are paying your QB 1/4 of what many other teams are paying. They should be able to put together a formidable roster.
Well...it SHOULD be pretty realistic to get a good group. How it turns out will be a measure of their competence at staffing the roster and negotiating with guys they want. Love them or hate them (I am more in the latter camp), their culture does have some appeal to some of the free agents, and being in Vegas is probably a good fit for those same folks. I'm guessing they draft a WR, DL or CB in the first round (that will indicate their priorities at that point; if they sign another DL in the free agency derby on top of the DT they already signed, they may pass on a DL in the draft) and a RB or WR in the second round. Yes, RB's are not typically high draft choices any more, but the Raiders ethos is to have a ground game, and they need a RB. I don't see them signing a free agent RB with chops, so that leaves the draft. I would not be surprised if they don't take an OL until later. The CB vs. WR draft question will indicate a lot about who is calling the shots on the draft. Finally, I do not see the Raiders trading up from 13 to get a big name QB this year. I think they will sit on their good cash position with Gardner and work on the rest of the roster. In particular, I expect a couple more reasonably significant free agent announcements.

Reactions: Coug90
Well...it SHOULD be pretty realistic to get a good group. How it turns out will be a measure of their competence at staffing the roster and negotiating with guys they want. Love them or hate them (I am more in the latter camp), their culture does have some appeal to some of the free agents, and being in Vegas is probably a good fit for those same folks. I'm guessing they draft a WR, DL or CB in the first round (that will indicate their priorities at that point; if they sign another DL in the free agency derby on top of the DT they already signed, they may pass on a DL in the draft) and a RB or WR in the second round. Yes, RB's are not typically high draft choices any more, but the Raiders ethos is to have a ground game, and they need a RB. I don't see them signing a free agent RB with chops, so that leaves the draft. I would not be surprised if they don't take an OL until later. The CB vs. WR draft question will indicate a lot about who is calling the shots on the draft. Finally, I do not see the Raiders trading up from 13 to get a big name QB this year. I think they will sit on their good cash position with Gardner and work on the rest of the roster. In particular, I expect a couple more reasonably significant free agent announcements.
On top of all that, I don't think there's a free agent RB left that's worth the money they'll ask for. I don't think Derrick Henry has a home yet, but he seems to be in the twilight. They're probably better off trying to pull a solid RB in the 2nd-3rd round and pair them with Zamir White.
They'd be better off using free agency to find a reliable receiver and DB. There are some very good DL in this draft, and a handful of solid OL that should be available when they pick.

I think if they make the right moves they could contend for a playoff berth in 2024, but I'm not sure I see them getting far.

One of the problems with a gangsta identity is you have a tougher time as a coach managing the attitude prior to a game. The Raiders dropped a couple last year because they simply were not ready mentally to play a game. I doubt that was due to game plan. It will be interesting to see how Gardner meshes with that, because that is one of his stronger points. He is almost always ready to play.

Big ups to Gardner.

Many years ago I worked at the WSU alumni center calling grads and soliciting donations. Seemed like every time I called someone in the Bay Area, they would volunteer how awful Raiders fans, were no matter what else we were discussing. Every city they've been in, Raiders fans have alienated the locals.

Even their "fans" outside their home market(s) never seem like... valedictorian stock to me. I put them in the same category as Bulls/LA/NY/STL "fans" - the team colors have accrued a sort of gangbanger/street tough connotation they're attracted to.

Reactions: ATACFD
Just wanted to add -

Good luck (not really) to Jim Irsay and his walking MASH unit of a qb going forward. I'm totally sure AR15 is going to learn how to throw the ball away or run out of bounds reaaaaaaaaly soon.

Big ups to Gardner.

Many years ago I worked at the WSU alumni center calling grads and soliciting donations. Seemed like every time I called someone in the Bay Area, they would volunteer how awful Raiders fans, were no matter what else we were discussing. Every city they've been in, Raiders fans have alienated the locals.

Even their "fans" outside their home market(s) never seem like... valedictorian stock to me. I put them in the same category as Bulls/LA/NY/STL "fans" - the team colors have accrued a sort of gangbanger/street tough connotation they're attracted to.

I actually went to a raiders game in Oakland wearing my orange elway jersey. No issues at all. Dealt with much worse Seahawks fans at a preseason game. For that matter some guy at a WSU/UCLA game tried to pick a fight with me for no reason other than he was sick of watching Jerome Harrison run all over their defense.

There are assholes in every fan base, along with good natured fans. Think it’s a bit of luck who you end up crossing in any game you attend.

Reactions: Cougini5591
I actually went to a raiders game in Oakland wearing my orange elway jersey. No issues at all. Dealt with much worse Seahawks fans at a preseason game. For that matter some guy at a WSU/UCLA game tried to pick a fight with me for no reason other than he was sick of watching Jerome Harrison run all over their defense.

There are assholes in every fan base (mutts), along with good natured fans (Cougs). Think it’s a bit of luck who you end up crossing in any game you attend.
Fixed your post...... :)

Reactions: Coug90
You know what will appeal to NFL free agents? Nevada does NOT have an income tax.

There are assholes in every fan base, along with good natured fans. Think it’s a bit of luck who you end up crossing in any game you attend.
Definitely pricks everywhere, but I think what I'm describing about Bay Area folks hating Raiders fans presents a special case.

To your point though, I watched a 2014 Seahawks game at Arrowhead... coolest tailgate I've ever been to, amazing BBQ, incredible fan setups/vehicles... but their fans couldn't have been worse. I had a drunk girl behind us yelling at us to suck her p*ssy, then they were jeering us after the loss as we walked out, tons of classless behavior.

Reactions: BleedCrimsonandGray
Definitely pricks everywhere, but I think what I'm describing about Bay Area folks hating Raiders fans presents a special case.

To your point though, I watched a 2014 Seahawks game at Arrowhead... coolest tailgate I've ever been to, amazing BBQ, incredible fan setups/vehicles... but their fans couldn't have been worse. I had a drunk girl behind us yelling at us to suck her p*ssy, then they were jeering us after the loss as we walked out, tons of classless behavior.
As far as Bay Area goes, I always heard the worst things about niner fans. And giants fans have been in the news more than once. Which is kinda funny because when I think of Niners fans and that stadium my visual is the wine and cheese crowd. But I’ve heard they are about as bad as they get besides maybe Philly.

The preseason hawks game was the worst. A bunch of people who probably bought the tix on the cheap because they can’t afford a reg season game and they were obnoxious but not even good at shit talking. Could tell they knew nothing about football and probably couldn’t name 5 hawks players.
And it’s a preseason game, 1/2 of the dudes playing won’t even be on the roster in two weeks!…idiots.

Reactions: chipdouglas
As far as Bay Area goes, I always heard the worst things about niner fans. And giants fans have been in the news more than once. Which is kinda funny because when I think of Niners fans and that stadium my visual is the wine and cheese crowd. But I’ve heard they are about as bad as they get besides maybe Philly.

The preseason hawks game was the worst. A bunch of people who probably bought the tix on the cheap because they can’t afford a reg season game and they were obnoxious but not even good at shit talking. Could tell they knew nothing about football and probably couldn’t name 5 hawks players.
And it’s a preseason game, 1/2 of the dudes playing won’t even be on the roster in two weeks!…idiots.
Wrong NL West team. D*dgers fans are the worst.

Hawks were more or less my team growing up, but after living in Seattle, a lot of "12s" we not super great to deal with. Never had issues with Niners fans. I'm more or less NFL agnostic for the most part, it's just something to throw on TV.

Minshew to Raiders and Vegas has the potential to be very entertaining.
I'm not wild about the move for his skill set, although to be fair, I'm not sure what their offensive focus is going to be. Luke Getsy (OC) has built decent run games in previous stops, but I'm not sure if that's just because he's been with the Bears and couldn't throw. His tendencies aren't real clear. It's a concern that they've let their most talented RB (Jacobs) and a good WR (Renfrow) go in the last 48 hours.

Those were probably the right moves, Jacobs was a problem, and Renfrow cost too much to be a #3/4 receiver. They clear $19M by losing Renfrow and Jimmy G, so they could get a serviceable RB, OL, and another receiver for that money. But, that assumes they make good choices.

Hawks were more or less my team growing up, but after living in Seattle, a lot of "12s" we not super great to deal with. Never had issues with Niners fans. I'm more or less NFL agnostic for the most part, it's just something to throw on TV.
The 12s sort of remind me of Oregon fans. There was a contingent of hawks fans that were around since 76, then all these bandwagoners who hopped on once they got a shiny new stadium, new unis, and started winning. Add to that some of the cocky characters they had like Baldwin, Sherman, and Earl Thomas and there’s your recipe for a fan base that’s new to success and acts like it. Sorry if you love the hawks and hate Oregon, but that’s been my observation as a PNW sports fan.

When Dodgers and Giants fans are together, neither behave particularly well. Hard to say which ballpark's parking lot is worse. This is a challenge where both can lose.

I travel to the Bay a lot for work. Maybe it's just the white collar Niner fans I work with, but they don't seem particularly knowledgeable or passionate - really the wine and cheese crowd you describe. I think there's a whole other working class Niner fan I'm not exposed to.

In 2011, Dodgers fans (both prior felons) stomped some dad's head in in the parking lot on Dodgers opening day while his 12-year-old son watched. They sucker-punched him in the back of the head and then beat him on the ground until he stopped moving for no reason other than punishing him for being a Giants fan who dared to take his child to their team's opening day game. Bryan Stow is 54 and has brain damage - after 9 months in a coma - and now lives with his parents who care for him full time. Walks with a cane, can't drive, etc. Felons were rebuked by judge for smirking during sentencing, and have subsequently had time added (they were due to be released years ago) for additional gun convictions, but should both be out and on with their lives shortly. Sometimes the wheels of justice move slowly AND not enough.

bryan.png
cons.png
er.png

I travel to the Bay a lot for work. Maybe it's just the white collar Niner fans I work with, but they don't seem particularly knowledgeable or passionate - really the wine and cheese crowd you describe. I think there's a whole other working class Niner fan I'm not exposed to.

In 2011, Dodgers fans (both prior felons) stomped some dad's head in in the parking lot on Dodgers opening day while his 12-year-old son watched. They sucker-punched him in the back of the head and then beat him on the ground until he stopped moving for no reason other than punishing him for being a Giants fan who dared to take his child to their team's opening day game. Bryan Stow is 54 and has brain damage - after 9 months in a coma - and now lives with his parents who care for him full time. Walks with a cane, can't drive, etc. Felons were rebuked by judge for smirking during sentencing, and have subsequently had time added (they were due to be released years ago) for additional gun convictions, but should both be out and on with their lives shortly. Sometimes the wheels of justice move slowly AND not enough.

bryan.png
cons.png
er.png
I was living in the City during the 2020 Super Bowl and if I wasn't following the NFL playoffs, I would've imagined it being just another weekend.

Those D*dgers fans are the worst. First thing that came to mind was that unfortunate story of that fan.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT