ADVERTISEMENT

Northern Colorado

95coug

Hall Of Fame
Dec 22, 2002
I’ve long assumed that N.Colorado would be a tune up game, but I just looked at their performance this season. Now I’m wondering if we’ll see Mateer before halftime and have walk-ons playing before it’s over.

They’re sitting at 0-2, with losses to Abilene Christian and Incarnate Word. Big losses - 31-11 and 42-7. They have 2 TDs on the season, both scored in the later half of the 4th quarter in games that were decided.

They have 274 yards passing in 2 games. 177 rushing. They gave up over 600 yards to UIW (382 passing).

We expected they would not be good. But “bad” doesn’t seem like the right word either. Looks like they’re truly awful.

You still have to game prep as normal, but this is the game that you remind the 2nd & 3rd teamers to remember their chin straps.

I’ve long assumed that N.Colorado would be a tune up game, but I just looked at their performance this season. Now I’m wondering if we’ll see Mateer before halftime and have walk-ons playing before it’s over.

They’re sitting at 0-2, with losses to Abilene Christian and Incarnate Word. Big losses - 31-11 and 42-7. They have 2 TDs on the season, both scored in the later half of the 4th quarter in games that were decided.

They have 274 yards passing in 2 games. 177 rushing. They gave up over 600 yards to UIW (382 passing).

We expected they would not be good. But “bad” doesn’t seem like the right word either. Looks like they’re truly awful.

You still have to game prep as normal, but this is the game that you remind the 2nd & 3rd teamers to remember their chin straps.
The OL plays every snap and get a session in Leach beach for every pancake block they don't make.

Good opportunity to re-establish and troubleshoot the run game. Th current 1.5 dimensional offense will be exposed and shut down by conference teams.

These games are such a waste of time. I'd rather see us play a low level MWC team.

Their QB is Jacob Sirmon
He has not been good. 31-59 (52.5%) for 220 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT for the season. And he's been sacked 5 times for -31 yards.

Their team has 27 first downs in 2 games, and 6 of those were by penalty. And they are 7 for 33 on 3rd down - 21.2%. I'm not sure I've ever seen a team with a 21% 3rd down rate.

Looking at the available play-by-play for their 2 games, it doesn't look like they're regularly losing yards and getting behind the chains. They're just not very good at gaining yards on any down. Lots of runs of 0 to 2 yards on 1st & 2nd, with lots of incompletions mixed in. Passes are mostly the 5-7 yard variety. I'd have to guess that they've got a bad OL and a mediocre (or less) QB. Looks like Sirmon might have been benched late last week though, their backup came in and threw for 40 yards and a TD. Whether that's a change due to effectiveness or just because they were getting blown out...we'll see.

They only play 8 conference games.

Shouldn't that mean that they should schedule a quality OOC opponent instead?

They schedule 8 conference games and they all pick up FCS teams (or Sun Belt teams) because they know that the extra 7 wins that gives them every year looks good on paper. Over the course of 10 years, it's 70 more wins than other conferences and it helps reinforce the mythology.

They play FCS teams because it helps their brand by giving their starters a reprieve. It's good business strategy. It's good for WSU to play Northern Colorado because it should give us a chance to play some backups and work on cleaning up things before playing Oregon State in two weeks.

I think it makes sense for us to always play a Big Sky team every year, but you don't know how good the team will be when the schedules are made. If we were playing Idaho this season, the game wouldn't be a push over by any means.

Reactions: Cougini5591
I think it makes sense for us to always play a Big Sky team every year, but you don't know how good the team will be when the schedules are made. If we were playing Idaho this season, the game wouldn't be a push over by any means.
Yes, and we're all rooting for Jasen Eck. Probably the best coach Idaho has ever seen, including Dennis Erickson. They're going to give Berkeley a run for their money.

This is the equivalent of an NFL preseason game. Get your starters a quarter…maybe…then get the young kids in. If Abilene Christian and IW smoked them our third stringers should be able to as well. Winning by 70 does no more for us than winning by 30

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT