ADVERTISEMENT

Seaside Joe

Coug1990

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Dec 22, 2002
I meant to post this a few days ago. But I do get lazy from time to time. Seaside Joe is a Substack site written by Kenneth Arthur about the Seahawks. At one time, he was the editor of Fieldgulls, the Seahawks SBNation site. Arthur is also a Coug.

Anyway, the reason why I am bringing Seaside Joe up is a recent article that he wrote that brings up college coaches.

You would think, “Being an NFL head coach must be harder than being the head coach of a college program” but the opposite appears to be true. NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero made a note of that last week on The Rich Eisen Show, explaining that a team like Boston College (who lost their head coach last week when he signed on to be the Packers defensive coordinator) simply can’t keep up with the rapid increase of recruiting cycles:

First you have to recruit high school players to come to your school, then you have you to recruit them (as in you have to recruit YOUR OWN PLAYERS a second time) every January when the transfer portal opens up, then you have to do it again (a third time) when the transfer portal opens for a second time in the spring…this doesn’t include recruiting players outside of your program and it doesn’t include fighting sponsors and boosters who will pay big bucks for prospects through NIL deals.

If schools like Boston College or Washington State or even to some degree Washington lands a big star, there’s no guarantee it won’t be to springboard to a bigger program for more money.

This is part of the reason why I like college sport a little less every year.

I meant to post this a few days ago. But I do get lazy from time to time. Seaside Joe is a Substack site written by Kenneth Arthur about the Seahawks. At one time, he was the editor of Fieldgulls, the Seahawks SBNation site. Arthur is also a Coug.

Anyway, the reason why I am bringing Seaside Joe up is a recent article that he wrote that brings up college coaches.

You would think, “Being an NFL head coach must be harder than being the head coach of a college program” but the opposite appears to be true. NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero made a note of that last week on The Rich Eisen Show, explaining that a team like Boston College (who lost their head coach last week when he signed on to be the Packers defensive coordinator) simply can’t keep up with the rapid increase of recruiting cycles:

First you have to recruit high school players to come to your school, then you have you to recruit them (as in you have to recruit YOUR OWN PLAYERS a second time) every January when the transfer portal opens up, then you have to do it again (a third time) when the transfer portal opens for a second time in the spring…this doesn’t include recruiting players outside of your program and it doesn’t include fighting sponsors and boosters who will pay big bucks for prospects through NIL deals.

If schools like Boston College or Washington State or even to some degree Washington lands a big star, there’s no guarantee it won’t be to springboard to a bigger program for more money.

Yea, no big surprise here. Even before the portal and NIL - run all over hell's half acre and buttkiss 17-year-olds and their parents. Every year. Motivate the little shits and babysit them for years. Work 13 months a year on babysitting, recruiting, PR, etc.

Now, add on all the shit that the portal and NIL brings.

NFL, your roster is predetermined by the draft, trades, etc. You deal with somewhat adults, and don't have to give a shit about parents, boosters, or even fans. Just win. Which is a given in College as well.

I saw this week that it's known Chip Kelly has been looking for OC positions in the NFL during the offseason. Even if it's a $*** show in Westwood, that's pretty telling about the state of things on the college level.

I saw this week that it's known Chip Kelly has been looking for OC positions in the NFL during the offseason. Even if it's a $*** show in Westwood, that's pretty telling about the state of things on the college level.
There was a rumor that if Dan Quinn had been hired as coach of the Seahawks, that Kelly would have been his OC. College football is such a mess.

There was a rumor that if Dan Quinn had been hired as coach of the Seahawks, that Kelly would have been his OC. College football is such a mess.
There's talk on a Bruin board that he interviewed with the Hawk's recently.

Yea, no big surprise here. Even before the portal and NIL - run all over hell's half acre and buttkiss 17-year-olds and their parents. Every year. Motivate the little shits and babysit them for years. Work 13 months a year on babysitting, recruiting, PR, etc.

Now, add on all the shit that the portal and NIL brings.

NFL, your roster is predetermined by the draft, trades, etc. You deal with somewhat adults, and don't have to give a shit about parents, boosters, or even fans. Just win. Which is a given in College as well.
college football is going to die

Reactions: Cougini5591
college football is going to die.
If that happens, then the domino affect takes place and all of college sports dies. I am not sure that wouldn't be a good thing. With the help of Fox and ESPN, two conferences are trying to hoard all the money. Fox and ESPN are trying to turn the Big Ten and SEC into the NFL where the revenues dwarf any other league. I could see those leagues set up a playoff system between the two conferences like the NFL does.

1990, thanks for the post.

I think the place to start in trying to restore at least a little order is two things:

-Cut scholarship roster size. 70 has been thrown about as a target number.

-No further athletic transfers permitted once NIL money has been taken. If a kid wants to play for just the normal scholie stuff, as it was pre-NIL, then they can portal without a problem. But if they accept NIL money, their transfer days are done.

The above two steps is not a panacea, but IMHO it is the right place to start, and would substantially improve things.

Reactions: KRUSTYtheCOUG
If that happens, then the domino affect takes place and all of college sports dies. I am not sure that wouldn't be a good thing. With the help of Fox and ESPN, two conferences are trying to hoard all the money. Fox and ESPN are trying to turn the Big Ten and SEC into the NFL where the revenues dwarf any other league. I could see those leagues set up a playoff system between the two conferences like the NFL does.
If that happens, what if the remaining conferences and the 60-80 teams who are not part of the Big 10/SEC NFL light band together and move to a spring football season? It eliminates competition with the actual NFL and with the NFL light, making it the only football that's being played (possibly improving the market).

If that happens, what if the remaining conferences and the 60-80 teams who are not part of the Big 10/SEC NFL light band together and move to a spring football season? It eliminates competition with the actual NFL and with the NFL light, making it the only football that's being played (possibly improving the market).

The key thing is for the fans of the 60-80 teams that are being left out to show the moral fiber to just not watch the Big 10 or SEC games and frankly, our programs shouldn't play against those leagues. When ESPN/Disney and Fox realize that they can't afford to pay $1.3 billion/year for 35% of football fans to watch games.....we'll see how things go. So far, the power players have fooled everyone into thinking that the casual fan is going to watch the SEC every Saturday and that is just not the case. The only time I watch those schools is when the Cougs are playing them and maybe the playoff games. Outside of that....nope.

Reactions: Wazzubrooz
The key thing is for the fans of the 60-80 teams that are being left out to show the moral fiber to just not watch the Big 10 or SEC games and frankly, our programs shouldn't play against those leagues. When ESPN/Disney and Fox realize that they can't afford to pay $1.3 billion/year for 35% of football fans to watch games.....we'll see how things go. So far, the power players have fooled everyone into thinking that the casual fan is going to watch the SEC every Saturday and that is just not the case. The only time I watch those schools is when the Cougs are playing them and maybe the playoff games. Outside of that....nope.
That might follow. I suspect that for the most part the Big 10/SEC fans are bigger football fans than the other fans are. If the SEC played in fall and the Big 12 played in spring, I think there would be more SEC fans watching in spring than Big 12 fans watching in fall. Some of those SEC types might even like it better, they could root for Alabama in the fall and for Houston (or whoever) in the spring and not feel like they're dividing loyalties.

And, there'd be no playing against each other, since the two seasons wouldn't coincide. That's probably the toughest sell though - it would mean the end of Oklahoma/Oklahoma State. No Apple Cup, no Civil War. No Stanford/Notre Dame, etc. And it would probably eliminate most of the bowl games.

THe networks might go for it, it would let them put football on the air almost year-round. Maybe there'd be a pause in January - no CFB until after the Super Bowl, maybe create bye weeks around March Madness, and then no CFB in July. But, spring is a sporting wasteland. Once the basketball tourney is over, there's not much going on.

Interesting stuff. I've always thought it was harder to be a college coach, even in the "old" days. Near-constant recruiting, a lot of weird rules with recruiting, meals, studying, paying for stuff or not, etc., you're trying to manage teenagers and young 20-somethings out of their homes for the first times in their lives instead of (ostensibly) professional, grown men, you essentially have to function as the GM from a personnel standpoint ... always has seemed a lot more involved on a near-year round basis, notwithstanding the slightly longer pro season. All the more so now with the insanity of having to recruit year-round, recruit your own roster, deal with NIL, boosters, and other outside influences, and manage more frequent and pervasive transfers while availing yourself of them as well.

That might follow. I suspect that for the most part the Big 10/SEC fans are bigger football fans than the other fans are. If the SEC played in fall and the Big 12 played in spring, I think there would be more SEC fans watching in spring than Big 12 fans watching in fall. Some of those SEC types might even like it better, they could root for Alabama in the fall and for Houston (or whoever) in the spring and not feel like they're dividing loyalties.

And, there'd be no playing against each other, since the two seasons wouldn't coincide. That's probably the toughest sell though - it would mean the end of Oklahoma/Oklahoma State. No Apple Cup, no Civil War. No Stanford/Notre Dame, etc. And it would probably eliminate most of the bowl games.

THe networks might go for it, it would let them put football on the air almost year-round. Maybe there'd be a pause in January - no CFB until after the Super Bowl, maybe create bye weeks around March Madness, and then no CFB in July. But, spring is a sporting wasteland. Once the basketball tourney is over, there's not much going on.
Well I think the NBA, NHL and MLB would say that Spring is not a sporting wasteland - although I don't follow either the NBA or MLB until deep into the playoffs, and don't follow the NHL at all.

That said, Spring football is an interesting and novel idea, but I don't see it happening. If the B1G and SEC want to go their own way and play 12 games against each other, then the rest will adapt.

Having the NCAA President propose a super "conference" of the rich teams and also allow direct payments to athletes doesn't help. That should be DOA and he should be fired. Last I knew the NCAA was supposed to represent the interests of all the schools, not just the top 30. Where the F did they get this guy, anyway?

Regardless, WSU is relegated to the second tier whatever that form takes. And what about all the other sports? Does Basketball get split as well? So long March Madness? So long College World Series? This myopic focus on Football and only Football is the real problem. And Bowl games? We have too damn many as it is, but they are all at risk now.

IMHO, we (NCAA) needs to limit the portal and limit NIL payments. Or Congress needs to (Hah!). Or Gawd forbid the academic folks in academia (you know, professors and Deans and such?) Need to band together and demand some sanity. Barring any and all of that, just don't do anything and let market forces determine where it all goes. We are a free market democracy - oh sorry, republic - after all.

Well I think the NBA, NHL and MLB would say that Spring is not a sporting wasteland - although I don't follow either the NBA or MLB until deep into the playoffs, and don't follow the NHL at all.

That said, Spring football is an interesting and novel idea, but I don't see it happening. If the B1G and SEC want to go their own way and play 12 games against each other, then the rest will adapt.
The NBA and NHL pale in comparison to NFL and CFP in market/marketability. MLB has a following, but none of their games really matter until after the all star break.

I don't have much belief that this would happen...but thought it was an interesting idea. And, it would necessarily lead to changes in the portal rules.

With Saban and Harbaugh gone, Day struggling and DeBoer resettling, Kirby Smart (age 48) stands to go on another run and challenge Saban's god-tier CFB reputation with more titles over the next decade or two.

But there are rumors in the program that the recruiting and funding responsibilities added by NIL & the portal are burning him out, and that he's already foreclosed on the possibility of coaching into his 70s like Nick. The great coaches want to be 90% gameday and 10% admin, but the NIL/portal clown show is flipping that on its head and appears to be on track to derail all-time-great HCs.

One even wonders - in addition to going out on top and avoiding the NCAA - whether this played a role in Harbaugh's exit.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
With Saban and Harbaugh gone, Day struggling and DeBoer resettling, Kirby Smart (age 48) stands to go on another run and challenge Saban's god-tier CFB reputation with more titles over the next decade or two.

But there are rumors in the program that the recruiting and funding responsibilities added by NIL & the portal are burning him out, and that he's already foreclosed on the possibility of coaching into his 70s like Nick. The great coaches want to be 90% gameday and 10% admin, but the NIL/portal clown show is flipping that on its head and appears to be on track to derail all-time-great HCs.

One even wonders - in addition to going out on top and avoiding the NCAA - whether this played a role in Harbaugh's exit.
The last sentence almost has to be a part of the situation.

When you sit back and think, it is obvious that the job description and responsibilities of a head coach have changed dramatically as opposed to a few years ago. Not everyone will be willing to play that game....

1990, thanks for the post.

I think the place to start in trying to restore at least a little order is two things:

-Cut scholarship roster size. 70 has been thrown about as a target number.

-No further athletic transfers permitted once NIL money has been taken. If a kid wants to play for just the normal scholie stuff, as it was pre-NIL, then they can portal without a problem. But if they accept NIL money, their transfer days are done.

The above two steps is not a panacea, but IMHO it is the right place to start, and would substantially improve things.

I agree, but they will goto the courts, and say, and courts would rule that since NIL money, even if it's pay to play, is still technically individuals, businesses paying for NAME IMAGE LIKENESS, in theory, and that it's not the NCAA, or colleges, and that because of that the NCAA has no right to curtail transfers based on NIL

I agree, but they will goto the courts, and say, and courts would rule that since NIL money, even if it's pay to play, is still technically individuals, businesses paying for NAME IMAGE LIKENESS, in theory, and that it's not the NCAA, or colleges, and that because of that the NCAA has no right to curtail transfers based on NIL
Mik, you may be right. But this is an issue where the right special interests could get congress off its *ss. Most people think professional athletes are spoiled anyway, so "saving college football" would presumably be an easier sell to the congressmen and senators than "coddle them some more". I know that I'd want to be on the side of the college football fan more than on the side of the college football player if I were running for office.

They would just move the bowl games.

The way it would probably work is that since there wouldn't be enough NFL LITE teams to fill the top bowls, the top bowls would fill with NFL Lite, and the remaining bowls would reschedule to end of spring season.

Also there would be the creation of about 2 to 4 to 6 to 8 NY6 like bowls, that would be used for the spring season CFP, BEST spring season teams(After all they wouldn't want the LA bowl(No name bowl), being used for the Spring season CFP)

So the fall NFL Lite season would have their CFP, and bowls, and the Spring season would have their CFP, and bowls.

And the TV sports people would probably make a killing money wise, have good ratings, etc.

Not saying that they would be smart enough to do that, only that they could do that, and if do that, it would work.

Just showing that they wouldn't have to ditch the bowls.

Having the NCAA President propose a super "conference" of the rich teams and also allow direct payments to athletes doesn't help. That should be DOA and he should be fired. Last I knew the NCAA was supposed to represent the interests of all the schools, not just the top 30. Where the F did they get this guy, anyway?

Regardless, WSU is relegated to the second tier whatever that form takes. And what about all the other sports? Does Basketball get split as well? So long March Madness? So long College World Series? This myopic focus on Football and only Football is the real problem. And Bowl games? We have too damn many as it is, but they are all at risk now.

IMHO, we (NCAA) needs to limit the portal and limit NIL payments. Or Congress needs to (Hah!). Or Gawd forbid the academic folks in academia (you know, professors and Deans and such?) Need to band together and demand some sanity. Barring any and all of that, just don't do anything and let market forces determine where it all goes. We are a free market democracy - oh sorry, republic - after all.

With both Schultz and Chun in KEY CFP related, involved positions, they can HOLD THE CFP HOSTAGE to FORCE a tier 1.5 status for a rebuilt PAC, WSU, OSU, that includes 1 of the 12 CFP spots at the CFP, for 1 PAC team, IF: 1. No more then 1 loss, go 12-0, 11-1. 2. PAC champ 3. Be ranked in top 20, etc.

Mik, you may be right. But this is an issue where the right special interests could get congress off its *ss. Most people think professional athletes are spoiled anyway, so "saving college football" would presumably be an easier sell to the congressmen and senators than "coddle them some more". I know that I'd want to be on the side of the college football fan more than on the side of the college football player if I were running for office.
I have to think that whatever court made NIL legal had no idea what Pandora's box they were opening. I mean who in their right mind would have let this fly open? If they had couched the decision to somehow limit these payments to bona fide NIL activities, or if the brain-dead NCAA would have tried to do so after the court opinion, then we would have some sanity. The concept of NIL doesn't really bother me at all. A guy should be able to make a buck off his handsome face. But the way it has been prostituted bothers me a lot.

So, Ryan Grubb leaves Alabama for the Seahawks. Again, it doesn't surprise that another college coach wants nothing to do with how the NCAA currently is. Even head coaches, Chip Kelly, are stepping down from being a head coach to become a coordinator. Even Kelly wanted to be in the NFL and took the OSU OC position as a consolation prize.

More than ever, players are no longer Student Athletes, but professional players that attend classes.

Reactions: Wazzubrooz
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT