ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Game

Super excited to see Falk/Bender/Hilinski. Also, really interested to see Barry Ware and Priester. Nervous to see what the secondary looks likes.

Super excited to see Falk/Bender/Hilinski. Also, really interested to see Barry Ware and Priester. Nervous to see what the secondary looks likes.

I hope there's a lot of kick returns, so we can watch the resistable force meet the moveable object.

crickets...

how was the crowd?
There.

Not a lot to take from it, really. Dom Williams and Gabe Marks both looked good, but on opposite teams- you'll be good at wideout. Neither QB really had the offense down as second nature, but I liked Falk more. There will be decent depth in the front seven, and Breshears shouldn't be anywhere near kicking again, as his missed 20 yarder on the last play of the first half seemed... familiar. Harrington, Wicks and Morrow should give you more in the backfield.

Last edited:
I read a few different versions. Sounds pretty standard for a spring game, with there being fragile optimism at QB. Most sources give our WRs high marks.

Have to say I'm worried reading descriptions of the secondary and OL.

But maybe the thing I'm most worried about is ST, particularly at kicker. If Breshears can't handle the pressure of short yardage in a spring game, I don't think you can assume as CML that you can rely on him at ANY point this year. Maybe Abramo can step in early...

Thinking back to Super Bowl 48 as an example, having a reliable kicker is so good for just getting points at the end of drives until you can blow the game open. In 48, it was total domination but it took awhile for the scoreboard to reflect that in terms of TDs. If Seattle had kept coming up empty on drives and Denver gets a TD and a FG, suddenly everything changes.

Back to the Cougs, there were 3 games last year decided by 7 or fewer points. Those are the sorts of games where having a kicker you trust to get you 3 makes all the difference. I believe the kicking game alone--whether missing actual FGs or CML not even trotting kicker(s) out because he doesn't trust them--cost us 2-3 wins.

Very important from a points (and a morale) standpoint to come away with points at the end of drives until you can blow games open.

Couple things on kicker. Abramo will likely start, but even at that Leach will still go for it on fourth more than most here would like. It is what he does. He did it when we had a good kicker, and will continue to do so. Personally more worried about punter. Secondary seems better than they were. Still get burned, but at least are forcing turnovers to help compensate. Interested to see what happens with some of the fall arrivals.

Reactions: Coug95man2
Attendance >6,300 hmmm...
The weather was horrible, horrible the day before and all morning. That certainly affected numbers, to a certain extent. But Here's perspective, Wisconsin was hoping for 10K. They got 9,630. It's a spring game. Glorified practice they moved to Spokane so we could watch without as much travel… It's a gauge but nothing too important, IMHO.

Here's another perspective. I can't even find UCLA's numbers but here's a picture. And obviously they are controlling where the crowd is. Wouldn't be surprised if this picture LITERALLY shows all the crowd. I'd say we had more crowd than UCLA, if this is true.

ADVERTISEMENT