ADVERTISEMENT

Spurs/Baynes

Loyal Coug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 27, 2003
I don't understand the lack of ANY interest on this site/board for Cougar Aron Baynes. Is anyone else even watching the Western Conference finals?

Last night in the 35-point pummeling of OKC, Baynes played the entire 4th quarter. While it was reserves vs reserves thanks to the then-30 point lead, Baynes had a couple of nice jump-hook baskets, couple of rebounds, and generally had his way with OKC rookie center (and reputed cheap shot artist) Steven Adams. Adams was 4-4 in the game until facing Big Daddy, and was 0-1 from that point on.

The best part was that the announcers talked about Baynes a bit, prominently mentioning WSU along the way. As I have opined before, Spurs fans have taken a real liking to Aron, with a comment today that he could likely start on some teams in the league with a little more develpment. Not sure if that is true, but it looks like he will stick in the League. When is the last time WSU had two NBA players at the same time? Collins and Ehlo?

Originally posted by Loyal Coug:
I don't understand the lack of ANY interest on this site/board for Cougar Aron Baynes. Is anyone else even watching the Western Conference finals?

Last night in the 35-point pummeling of OKC, Baynes played the entire 4th quarter. While it was reserves vs reserves thanks to the then-30 point lead, Baynes had a couple of nice jump-hook baskets, couple of rebounds, and generally had his way with OKC rookie center (and reputed cheap shot artist) Steven Adams. Adams was 4-4 in the game until facing Big Daddy, and was 0-1 from that point on.

The best part was that the announcers talked about Baynes a bit, prominently mentioning WSU along the way. As I have opined before, Spurs fans have taken a real liking to Aron, with a comment today that he could likely start on some teams in the league with a little more develpment. Not sure if that is true, but it looks like he will stick in the League. When is the last time WSU had two NBA players at the same time? Collins and Ehlo?
I absolutely despise the NBA and have watched maybe five games this year -- all games involving Klay or Baynes, including the first two games of the Western Conference Finals. Like you said, Baynes is really starting to come into his own, and regardless of the reserve competition, he's definitely making his presence known on the defensive end and he's cleaning up on the offensive end, as well.

As an uneducated NBA outsider, I, too, think Baynes could could compete for some starter minutes on several teams throughout the league. He's perfect in San Antonio, though, and I think he has a very good chance of playing a substantial amount of years as an enforcer off the bench.

It's really cool to see two Cougs in the NBA playing at a relatively high level at the same time. I'm a youngin', so I don't remember the Collins-Ehlo days, but it's cool to hear the free Wazzu publicity on nationally televised broadcasts. I know my Twitter timeline is 80 percent Baynes when he's on floor, so there's people noticing and rallying around him in the Coug-o-sphere.

I believe he's under contract for at least on more season. With Duncan getting up there in age and maybe one to two years away from retirement, it'l be interesting to see what Baynes' value will be with another year under his belt. Regardless, it truly shows that hard work pays off and good things -- for the most part -- come to good people. Baynes is a good guy and he's turning into quite the difference maker along the way.

Thoughts?

I have interest in how Baynes does. But I have no interest in the NBA. Haven't watched a game in probably 15 years. The info I get on him comes from folks like you and I do appreciate it.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

SD/Crimson....

Originally posted by CrimsonWazzu:
The NBA is terrible.

I'm happy for Klay and Aron.
I felt exactly the same way (as did the lovely Mrs.Loyal) about the NBA until I stumbled upon the Spurs when they signed Baynes. They are the complete antithesis of evrything we hate about the NBA. It is 100% about the team, teamwork and unselfish play. When rolling, their offense is a thing of beauty. Coach Popovich was intervied after last night's game, and he basically said that they don't allow any bad attitudes or selfish players play for them. When Mrs. Loyal looks forward to watching a game that is not Cougar Football, then you know something is special.

Whne you have 7 minutes, watch this video:
http://www.poundingtherock.com/2014/5/21/5738540/a-moving-tribute-to-the-spurs-the-beautiful-game

Spend some time on their fan site:
http://www.poundingtherock.com/

The best articles are the post-game "gif" threads, where they break down a bunch of plays to highlight the strategy, passing, and general teamwork. The comments sections are not only hilarious but have a bunch of gifs and pictures mixed in. You will see Baynes on occasion in the highlight gifs. Baynes' picks on the pick and rolls (their base offense) are pretty funny sometimes - but not funny for the poor saps that run into him.

Originally posted by Loyal Coug:

I used to love the NBA. However, I stopped watching when the Sonics left. I do not watch games, but I do pay attention afterward and cheer against Okla City. I have heard Baynes is doing well. I hope he wins a ring this year.

If anything you are underselling how much they talked about Baynes. At one point the color guy said they he was making the 4th quarter worth watching.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT