ADVERTISEMENT

Tracking Falk through The first two games

Cougatron

Hall Of Fame
Oct 17, 2012
So obviously we have a new QB at the helm, and since I love stats I decided wanted to track the progress of Falk in the air raid through the season.

Falk is the first Leach QB we've had. Halliday/Tuel were Wulff recruits, and obviously while Halliday did some really awesome things I really wanted to see what a Leach QB would look like in his first season as a starter.

So here is the current data. This doesn't factor in Strength of schedule or anything like that. Just through 2 games. Whoever we played. (Side note in 2013 Halliday started against Auburn then went on the road to face USC..his numbers weren't great but we did get a win against USC so it was actually really impressive...maybe not statistically, but still really good job starting that kind of schedule)

2012 - Tuel
50/71 70.4% 400 yards 2 TDs 2 Ints

2013 - Halliday
61/103 59% comp 559 yards 1 TD 5 INTs

2014 - Halliday
78/113 69% pct 921 yards 6 TD 3 Ints

2015 - Falk
74/107 69% comp 767 yards 6 TDs 0 INTs

So as you can see Tuel while being incredibly efficient really sort of struggled his first two games. (Halliday also came in for a few plays against easter..but it wasn't much maybe 71 yards worth)

in 2013 Halliday really struggled out the gate, but as I mentioned he faced Auburn who would go to the National Title and USC in games 1/2. Not a great start, but he sort of took off later facing lesser teams.

In 2014 Halliday's record year we see how much he moved the ball but still a few mistakes (3ints) But almost 1000 yards in 2 games. Now this being his senior year it's expected for him to have some improvement, and he did a great job getting better.

Falk's start in 2015 even though the first game was a disaster...he actually has been doing extremely well. Zero interceptions (now their were a few that he might have gotten away with, but still zero is zero) and 6 TDs tieing Halliday in 2014.

His comp percentage is also very high (I think he hold the ball a little too long, but still that's really good for a 1st year starter)

So looking at everything, and the fact Falk is just a RS-Soph .... He's doing extremely well. If he can polish up the mistakes over time he's poised to break Halliday's records.

Halliday finished with 11,308 yards 90tds and 50 ints
Falk currently has 2626 yards 19 tds and 7 ints

Theoretically there are 22 games left for Falk (If he leaves after next year and doesn't have a RS Senior Year)

To pass Halliday
in yards he would have to throw +394 yards / game
in TDs 3-4 tds / game

Considering he just threw for 478 yards and 4 Tds he more than likely will surpass Halliday. I don't expect him to do that every game, but within the averaging he'll pass Halliday.

Nice Analysis. Then there are the intangibles that are hard to quantify statistically but are still important. Like Leadership, coolness under pressure etc. I think Falk has those or is developing those faster than the other qb's did.

For example, Halliday was one tough SOB for example playing with a lacerated liver and that garners respect, but overall I think Falk is going to be a better leader than Halliday. Falk seems good at rallying team mates without trashing them. Falk doesn't seem to devolve into temper tantrums Falk was a bit indecisive against PSU but overall he seems cooler under fire. When Halliday was flushed out of the pocket, one would cringe because he would often just throw a ball up for grabs. Today in that last drive Falk was ice veined. Plus Falk has good escapability.

Yes, there are many more games to go, but I am optimistic about Falk's future.

And for fun if people want to know if he were to stay for a 5th year RS Senior year and was keeping pace with 400 yards / game

Luke falk would finish with a projected 16,000 yards...making him the #4 NCAA passing QB of all time...passing none other than WSU WR coach Graham Harell with 15,793.

This also makes me wonder about Jared Goff, and where he ends up.

As it stands now Goff has 8,111 yards through 26 games averaging 310 yds / game. He's a true Junior right now leaving him 22 games left. Pending he doesn't play in any bowl games and stays for his senior year he's projected to rack up another 6860 yards for a grand total of 14,974.

Putting him right at #5-6 all time. Between Kellen Moore and Ty Detmer. Pretty amazing that possibly two of the top 10 all time passers in NCAA history will face each other twice.

Reactions: YakiCoug
Consider that CH never once in his career waon a game in the last minute.Leadership and having the team behind your QB is so much more important than a lot of garbage yards with the game decided one way or another Oh and not throwing interceptions is great.The clmness and not selfish petulance is such a refreshing change.CH was a special QB for sure

Consider that CH never once in his career waon a game in the last minute.Leadership and having the team behind your QB is so much more important than a lot of garbage yards with the game decided one way or another Oh and not throwing interceptions is great.The clmness and not selfish petulance is such a refreshing change.CH was a special QB for sure
Agreed EC! Seeing the offense fight back on their final drive was amazing. They didn't do their typical "roll over and die" maneuver. I hope we can put the Portland State debacle in the rearview mirror and continue to add some W's.

And for fun if people want to know if he were to stay for a 5th year RS Senior year and was keeping pace with 400 yards / game

Luke falk would finish with a projected 16,000 yards...making him the #4 NCAA passing QB of all time...passing none other than WSU WR coach Graham Harell with 15,793.

This also makes me wonder about Jared Goff, and where he ends up.

As it stands now Goff has 8,111 yards through 26 games averaging 310 yds / game. He's a true Junior right now leaving him 22 games left. Pending he doesn't play in any bowl games and stays for his senior year he's projected to rack up another 6860 yards for a grand total of 14,974.

Putting him right at #5-6 all time. Between Kellen Moore and Ty Detmer. Pretty amazing that possibly two of the top 10 all time passers in NCAA history will face each other twice.

I believe that Falk will stay and use up his entire eligibility. He does not have a gun for an arm and the NFL will not be clamoring for him to turn pro. You mentioned Harrell, he stayed and exhausted his eligibility. By the way, Harrell was a late round draft pick. So, in my opinion, Falk at the best would be a late round pick. So, I don't think he will leave early.

Goff is already being mentioned at a top 10 NFL pick for this coming season and maybe even the top pick. There is a 50- 50 chance he leaves. Although, he could also stay like Andrew Luck did.

Every Cougar fan, myself most definitely included, is tired of hearing the "wait til next year" rallying cry, but that's where we're at. What was nice about yesterday is that every major skill player contributor is back next season. In fact, we have 32 kids on our 2-deeps will be back.

Falk isn't perfect, but he's learning. He got away with several passes, including a huge one at the beginning of our winning drive, where more experienced secondary players would have picked him off. He holds the ball too long and checks into too many high risk throws on 3rd and 4th down. I saw Leach ripping him yesterday a couple of times for opting to throw sideline fade passes, instead of picking up the first downs.

With that said, Falk is still very green, and he's a bright kid. I expect his level of play to continue to improve this season, albeit with a couple of stinker games mixed in, and for him to make a huge leap forward in 2016.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT