ADVERTISEMENT

1-800-GO-Cougs

That touches on the issue. Paying someone to fundraise undermines their purpose. You pay them peanuts until they prove they can bring in money. And, if they can't bring in multiples of what they cost - the more the better - they don't get raises. If you pay someone $60K, and they only bring in $50K, you just made the hole deeper. So you get young people, pay them $30K. You hope they all bring in 50, and that one or two will bring in 100. Those two get raises, the others get pink slips.

How are they supposed to live on $30,000? Why would they even apply when there are so many other opportunities out there that pay more than $30,000?

Assuming they weren’t taxed, an apartment that costs $1,000 per month just ate up almost half their income. Add utilities, a cell phone, gas and food. What’s left?

So wtf good is $30,000?

How are they supposed to live on $30,000? Why would they even apply when there are so many other opportunities out there that pay more than $30,000?

Assuming they weren’t taxed, an apartment that costs $1,000 per month just ate up almost half their income. Add utilities, a cell phone, gas and food. What’s left?

So wtf good is $30,000?
As the organization.... Not my problem.

And, 20-somethings in Pullman don't live alone. They share expenses and have the hubris of the young. Every one of them thinks raising 100K will be easy, and they'll get a raise in a year.

As the organization.... Not my problem.

And, 20-somethings in Pullman don't live alone. They share expenses and have the hubris of the young. Every one of them thinks raising 100K will be easy, and they'll get a raise in a year.

It is your problem. You won’t get the apps you want. You will routinely hire unqualified people because the pay is laughably bad. It will be a revolving door of bad employees and no money raised.

Think about how these people present themselves. Broke as fck cause they have no money. Wtf do they look like when dressed? With your big check of $2000 per month after taxes, what did they have to spend on clothing??? Wanna get donations? Prob should look the part. Probably should not look broke when speaking to potential donors.

A raise in a year? To what? $45,000? Laughable.

It is your problem as an organization. When you go cheap, first it sucks ~ then it breaks. WSU has 100 years in its rear view mirror of being cheap. Where has it gotten them????

It is your problem. You won’t get the apps you want. You will routinely hire unqualified people because the pay is laughably bad. It will be a revolving door of bad employees and no money raised.

Think about how these people present themselves. Broke as fck cause they have no money. Wtf do they look like when dressed? With your big check of $2000 per month after taxes, what did they have to spend on clothing??? Wanna get donations? Prob should look the part. Probably should not look broke when speaking to potential donors.

A raise in a year? To what? $45,000? Laughable.

It is your problem as an organization. When you go cheap, first it sucks ~ then it breaks. WSU has 100 years in its rear view mirror of being cheap. Where has it gotten them????

I have an idea- Biggs could donate a $1,000,000 and endow a fundraising position.

I don't know about the fund-raising field in the Pullman-Moscow area, but there are actually a lot of qualified people (over-qualified, actually) in the area in a LOT of fields. The continuous influx of grad students ensures there are a lot of spouses that come and go every 2-3 years, so employee turnover tends to be high, but quality of the employee also tends to be high. (It's also one of the things that keeps salary rates down...) The cast of characters to choose from for a $60k position in Pullman, WA is probably better than most areas.

STFU and stay in your lane.

This is basically an entry level job, so $60k is pretty damn good, especially for Pullman. If you'd have ever been around the CAF staff, you'd know most of them are under 35, if not under 30. I had a girlfriend who was a fundraiser for MDA and made barely above minimum wage - fundraising pays for sh!t, so this is pretty decent.
You ever noticed how much damn turnover our AD has? This is a big reason why.

Reactions: BiggsCoug

So wtf good is $30,000?
A bit baffled here, Fifteen dollars an hour is $30,000 a year. So we should go full "progressive" and raise the minimum wage even further? No, I have no solution or answer.

A bit baffled here, Fifteen dollars an hour is $30,000 a year. So we should go full "progressive" and raise the minimum wage even further? No, I have no solution or answer.

It wasnt my idea to pay $30,000. I was pointing out that $30,000 isn’t shit. It is very likely a potential candidate could find $17 or even more per hour working fast food.

That is what the poster who suggested clearly doesn't understand about their idea of $30,000 being a good salary. Hell, with over time at a fast food restaurant you’d make more.

The point was not to argue over minimum wage. I threw out some numbers not intended to be taken literally, but to say you bring in your fundraiser staff at lower levels, and make them prove they're worth more. The more you pay them out the gate, the more you set them (and you) up to fail. Higher salary means it's that much more they have to raise just to pay for themselves.

Maybe you commission them to incentivize their work - a base salary plus a cut of what they raise. I'd set it so they don't get anything until they raise 3x their salary, and maybe an escalating percentage as they reach 4x and 5x. If they reach 5x or more, promote them and raise their salary. Looks good for them, and it makes the bonus levels harder to reach. As they continue to succeed, you put them in front of bigger potential donors. Eventually you find their ceiling, their salary flattens and you pay out a lower percentage in bonuses.

ADVERTISEMENT