ADVERTISEMENT

2017 WSU vs. UW Pac-12 TV ratings (the value of the Leach brand); we are beating UW

ttowncoug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 9, 2001
I have been kind of curious how WSU is faring on the TV boxes. In looking at this, I was a little shocked that we are out drawing UW in tv ratings, on like opponents. Tells me that Leach, and his WSU brand, has a national interest. Which is another reason to keep him here in Pulllman and pay him.

Team/Million viewers.

WSU UW
Stanford 1.99 Stanford 1.06
Arizona ?? ASU 2.28
Cal 2.26 Cal 1.63
Colorado 1.39 Colorado 1.05
Oregon 1.92 Oregon 0.99
USC 2.78 UCLA 2.85
Avg 2.07 Avg 1.64

Overall, I have us about 25% up on UW for TV ratings....which is surprising because we are the "step child" of Pac-12 programs.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/

Also, i'd be curious how much undervalued our TV contracts are. It looks like we are beating other conferences head to head with viewership in less desirable tv slots (less people viewing).

two posts in one day? who woke you up, ttown?

You pose a very interesting question about the actual value of our tv contract; I would venture, based on what we've seen and heard thus far, that it is incredibly undervalued.

People like seeing the little guy who isn't supposed to do well do well.
People like Leach in general because he himself is entertaining
People like watching Leach teams because the games are exciting. We've had last second wins over UCLA, Oregon, Rutgers,, in the past Overtime vs Boise,, 4th quarter drive against Stanford, 7 turnover game against Utah, and also disasters against Cal/Arizona. It's like the Manic rollercoaster of fun and interesting (and we more than often come out on top, and when we don't there is drama with it. Like losing to Stanford, the Cal debacle, the Bowl game against Colorado State, will we beat an FCS team?

Good and Bad it's not boring, and that is entertainment. People like entertaining games. People do not like boring games. People also like watching little guys like Washington State beat big guys like USC, Oregon, or Stanford (as of late)

Leach made us relevant in the college football world again. I can't tell you how many people have come up to me when I'm wearing my WSU hat or sweatshirt and talk to me about Leach and the football team. I would say probably if I am out all day at least 1 person typically will do it, and almost always on saturdays for sure.

People know we exist again, and most of them like us. That's a nice feeling as opposed to. "Oh Washington State? Do you guys have a football team? What conference are you in Mountain west? Oh really Pac-12? What's your record? oh 2-10 well I'm sure you guys will get it turned around. Whose your coach? Wulff? Never heard of him. Is he good? Don't worry I'm sure you guys will turn it around"

To now...

"Holy shit Wazzu. You guys have Leach! Oh man that Pirate is crazy! I saw you guys beat Oregon man that was an awesome game. You guys are good huh?, who are other good teams in the Pac-12 now besides you guys?"

It's a nice feeling.

I have been kind of curious how WSU is faring on the TV boxes. In looking at this, I was a little shocked that we are out drawing UW in tv ratings, on like opponents. Tells me that Leach, and his WSU brand, has a national interest. Which is another reason to keep him here in Pulllman and pay him.

Team/Million viewers.

WSU UW
Arizona ?? ASU 2.28
Cal 2.26 Cal 1.63
Oregon 1.92 Oregon 0.99
USC 2.78 UCLA 2.85
Avg 2.07 Avg 1.64

Overall, I have us about 25% up on UW for TV ratings....which is surprising because we are the "step child" of Pac-12 programs.

Also, i'd be curious how much undervalued our TV contracts are. It looks like we are beating other conferences head to head with viewership in less desirable tv slots (less people viewing).

That's pretty good research, thanks. And if you exclude ASU for which we have no comparison, it is 2.07 to 1.52. Stanford and Oregon are off the charts.

Team/Million viewers.

WSU UW
Arizona ?? ASU 2.28
Cal 2.26 Cal 1.63
Oregon 1.92 Oregon 0.99
USC 2.78 UCLA 2.85
Avg 2.07 Avg 1.64

This is difficult to believe.

Maybe it's the state of Texas lifting us up substantially?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT