ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Expectations for WSU football.

Flatlandcoug

Hall Of Fame
Aug 14, 2007
Wichita, Kansas
We've seen some talk on here about the program, but what's your expectation for WSU in 2023? We play the following teams with the final schedule TBD.

@ CSU - win
Wisconsin - loss
Northern Colorado - win
@ ASU - win
@ Cal - win

@ Oregon - loss
@ UCLA - loss
@ UW - loss
Arizona - win
Colorado - win

Oregon State - win
Stanford - win

Green are games that I think we will be favored to win and I'll even say expect to win. Orange are tossup games where we might win given the mess at ASU and getting Oregon State at home. However, we have often struggled in Tempe and OSU is only getting better with time. UCLA is tougher to guess. DTR is gone and they were kind of a mess at the end of the season with him there. I'm showing that game as a loss because it's on the road, but it's a game that we'll have a chance at winning. Dickert's history of 7-5 regular season finishes suggests that we are going to lose to either ASU or Oregon State and maybe both.

I think we qualify for a bowl regardless and I'll be disappointed in Dickert if we don't.

Reactions: PeteTheChop
Thanks for starting this thread, Flat.

I agree with your green selections.

When it comes to the orange and red, the thing I'm waiting to see is the offense. Our D will likely look similar to last year. We lack Henley, but the rest of the group could arguably be as good or better. We have experienced kickers. Cam will have had a year to adapt. The TE's will have had a year to develop. If the line gels, it is realistic to expect a significant improvement. If we get that improvement, I see 9 wins and competitive in all of them. If not, I see 7 wins and probably 2 or 3 bad (more than 2 scores) losses. We did not know how good Henley was going to be. I'd bet there is a portal kid or two who will wildly exceed expectations this year. I'll have more of an idea after spring ball.

Assuming portal kids are “average starters” and Cam and the Oline get a bit better I think 7-5 would be an accomplishment. We probably don’t have any business beating UW, Oregon, Oregon St, Wiscy, or UCLA. And with all the portaling to CU and ASU I have no idea if they’ll be good or trash.

We've seen some talk on here about the program, but what's your expectation for WSU in 2023? We play the following teams with the final schedule TBD.

@ CSU - win
Wisconsin - loss
Northern Colorado - win
@ ASU - win
@ Cal - win

@ Oregon - loss
@ UCLA - loss
@ UW - loss
Arizona - win
Colorado - win

Oregon State - win
Stanford - win

Green are games that I think we will be favored to win and I'll even say expect to win. Orange are tossup games where we might win given the mess at ASU and getting Oregon State at home. However, we have often struggled in Tempe and OSU is only getting better with time. UCLA is tougher to guess. DTR is gone and they were kind of a mess at the end of the season with him there. I'm showing that game as a loss because it's on the road, but it's a game that we'll have a chance at winning. Dickert's history of 7-5 regular season finishes suggests that we are going to lose to either ASU or Oregon State and maybe both.

I think we qualify for a bowl regardless and I'll be disappointed in Dickert if we don't.

I think Cal on the road is a yellow, if we're at home, it would be a green.

I think that Deion Sanders will turn Colorado into a Yellow, that late into season, but still a win at home.

I see UCLA as a undecided, neither win or lose toss up, because UCLA is losing DTR, and LOST A LOT.

I see Wiscy as a yellow toss up, undecided at home in Pullman, as Wiscy only had about 6,7 wins, lost to WSU, has new coaches, and is switching from RUN A LOT to AIR RAID. If was at Wiscy then would either be red or yellow and a loss.

I see about 7,8,9,10 wins, and 2,3,4,5, losses

and a 6-6,7-5 record as the floor and 10 wins as the cap, ceiling.

I just hope we schedule Arizona the week before Apple Cup and make it parents' weekend. I love playing the Arizona schools at home in November.

Never thought we'd ever see a Big Name Big 10 opponent come to Pullman. Ever.

September 9th will be an epic milestone and hurdle.

As for Prime Time ~ Year 1, they might win 8 games this year.

I think Cal on the road is a yellow, if we're at home, it would be a green.

I think that Deion Sanders will turn Colorado into a Yellow, that late into season, but still a win at home.

I see UCLA as a undecided, neither win or lose toss up, because UCLA is losing DTR, and LOST A LOT.

I see Wiscy as a yellow toss up, undecided at home in Pullman, as Wiscy only had about 6,7 wins, lost to WSU, has new coaches, and is switching from RUN A LOT to AIR RAID. If was at Wiscy then would either be red or yellow and a loss.

I see about 7,8,9,10 wins, and 2,3,4,5, losses

and a 6-6,7-5 record as the floor and 10 wins as the cap, ceiling.
7-5/6-6

Assuming portal kids are “average starters” and Cam and the Oline get a bit better I think 7-5 would be an accomplishment. We probably don’t have any business beating UW, Oregon, Oregon St, Wiscy, or UCLA. And with all the portaling to CU and ASU I have no idea if they’ll be good or trash.

I’m expecting Colorado to struggle in year one with Prime but you are correct that we just don’t know.

The biggest problem with bringing in a bunch of alphas at once is that they will usually melt down if the going gets tough and start blaming each other.

Sanders has never had to deal with real adversity as a coach. He’s always had far more talent than his opponents. He’s done a great job so far upping the talent but only time will tell if he’s built a team or a group of talented individuals.

I’m expecting Colorado to struggle in year one with Prime but you are correct that we just don’t know.

The biggest problem with bringing in a bunch of alphas at once is that they will usually melt down if the going gets tough and start blaming each other.

Sanders has never had to deal with real adversity as a coach. He’s always had far more talent than his opponents. He’s done a great job so far upping the talent but only time will tell if he’s built a team or a group of talented individuals.
There won’t be an athlete on the team prepared for D1 football. Not saying they aren’t highly talented or skilled, but D1 is a different animal. There will be an adjustment period.

Yes to your last sentence. Is he a leader? Hard to tell. A charismatic guy who always has better resources can look like a leader from a distance. You don't really know until he hits some bumps in the road. There will be a lot of bumps for Colorado, even if he does a great job....so a year from now we'll have a much clearer picture of whether there is something foundational under the glitz.

I get the sentiment but at this point it's too late for them to back out. They already published their schedule too, and the game is on there.
Yes, that is how it always worked out in the past, but perhaps Wisconsin contemplated doing that but decided that they want payback for WSU taking them down in Madison last year?

Yes to your last sentence. Is he a leader? Hard to tell. A charismatic guy who always has better resources can look like a leader from a distance. You don't really know until he hits some bumps in the road. There will be a lot of bumps for Colorado, even if he does a great job....so a year from now we'll have a much clearer picture of whether there is something foundational under the glitz.
Is he a leader?

Well, I'd put him up there with the biggest leaders in college football.

It is said...."How do you know if you're a leader"? The answer: "Look behind you. If you don't have anyone following you, you're not a leader".

Deon has a dedicated camera crew, daily, following him everywhere. It's called YouTube.

If that isn't a leader, I don't know what is.

I do like Dickert's strategy and answer to Prime Time. If you've been watching Dickert lately, he's always saying... "We're all about family. We're not about Lamborghini's. We're about family and relationships in an amazing atmosphere".

I really like how Dickert is recruiting. Best recruiter to hit Pullman since Edward R. Murrow.

Last edited:
Is he a leader?

It is said...."How do you know if you're a leader"? The answer: "Look behind you. If you don't have anyone following you, you're not a leader".

Deon has a dedicated camera crew, daily, following him everywhere. It's called YouTube.

I do like Dickert's strategy and answer to Prime Time. If you've been watching Dickert lately, he's always saying... "We're (COUGS in Pullman), all about family. We're not about Lamborghini's. We're about family and relationships in an amazing atmosphere".

I really like how Dickert is recruiting. Best recruiter to hit Pullman since Edward R. Murrow.

I would assume he pays the camera crew to follow him. So, not a leader.

Best recruiter??? Lol wow. Not even close.

I would assume he pays the camera crew to follow him. So, not a leader.

Best recruiter??? Lol wow. Not even close.
I think his son runs the camera, the editing and the YouTube Channel.

Regarding compensation. Nobody is going to work for free, unless you're retired. Video editing is a full time job, for sure.

Regarding his leadership. Jackson State speaks for itself. He rocked the world at JSU, and they'll never be the same.

Regarding compensation. Nobody is going to work for free, unless you're retired. Video editing is a full time job, for sure.

Regarding his leadership. Jackson State speaks for itself. He rocked the world at JSU, and they'll never be the same.

Jackson State doesnt say shit. You’re right, they won’t be the same. They’ll be much worse because he isn’t a coach. He is a celebrity. We will see what he left in place for JSU to be successful. My guess is not much.

He is no football coach. He is a big mouth using his celebrity. He fooled CU into $30m. Who bid that number up? Why the hell did they offer him that much? Wow.

What happens when his son struggles to make the jump to FBS football? What happens when his JSU kids get their doors blown off cause the DNA is better in P5? The 5 star kid prob makes the jump, but everyone else? The league JSU plays in isn’t the same as the rest of FCS. JSU gets smoked in the Big Sky. So, not impressed with his JV record.

Your story about leadership rings hollow when you use the film crew as an example but then add his son is in charge….

Jackson State was a train wreck before Prime showed up and the program took a 180 immediately. Will his schtick work in the power 5? I suspect yes because he'll be able to land talent. It'll take him some time. Pete Carroll didn't get things rolling at USC until midyear his second season.

Dickert's not a great recruiter. He doesn't have the swagger to get every recruits attention. He works hard though and brings a consistent message. He's above average at talent evaluation. That should keep us competitive.

Yes, that is how it always worked out in the past, but perhaps Wisconsin contemplated doing that but decided that they want payback for WSU taking them down in Madison last year?
Wiscy has a history of actually showing up to OOC games you wouldn't expect. E.g., it played at South Florida in 2019, Oregon State back in 2012, etc.

Is he a leader?

I do like Dickert's strategy and answer to Prime Time. If you've been watching Dickert lately, he's always saying... "We're all about family. We're not about Lamborghini's. We're about family and relationships in an amazing atmosphere".

I listen closely to how coaches talk. Is it logical, rational, positive, focused, and does it convey a vision?

I've been impressed with Dickert in this regard. He's growing as a coach I believe. I think he is creating the right culture for WSU.

We will see if his recruiting pans out. I'm optimistic it will. But keeping players is what concerns me given the portal.

I listen closely to how coaches talk. Is it logical, rational, positive, focused, and does it convey a vision?

I've been impressed with Dickert in this regard. He's growing as a coach I believe. I think he is creating the right culture for WSU.

We will see if his recruiting pans out. I'm optimistic it will. But keeping players is what concerns me given the portal.

Speaking of the Transfer Portal, the NCAA, has created a new rule that says that a player can only use the Transfer Portal once.

Under the old way, a Freshman could transfer after their REDSHIRT year, without penalty, without sitting out a year, then transfer again but with penalty, and again with penalty.

Under the new way, while can still transfer under penalty a second, third time, just like the old way, YOU CAN ONLY USE THE TRANSFER PORTAL ONE TIME PERIOD.

NO USING PORTAL A 2ND TIME UNDER PENALTY.

This will help stop players from constantly shopping for NIL via Portal.

And once a team gets a Portal player, they can't lose a player to Portal like could in past.

Reactions: M-I-Coug
Good thread. Good points.

The thing I like about CJD is that he is not flashy. He plays to his strengths, which seem to be sincerity, honesty, integrity, etc. As a result, he ends up getting kids who value those things. As time passes he will get more and more of those kids. We had a lot of turnover from the last year of Leach to the Rolo period to CJD. We are finally getting a bit of stability, which the portal, NIL, etc. are shaking up (and they are shaking things up for all teams, not just ours). CJD comes across as genuine. I'd argue that the kids who find that to be attractive are for the most part the kids that we need. And he has been flexible enough to do what seems from a distance to be a good job of working the portal system.

I don't have inside info and I only know what I see and what I read, but at this point I'm comfortable that an effective guy is in charge.

Last edited:

The think I like about CJD is that is not flashy. He plays to his strengths, which seem to be sincerity, honesty, integrity, etc. As a result, he ends up getting kids who value those things. As time passes he will get more and more of those kids. We had a lot of turnover from the last year of Leach to the Rolo period to CJD. We are finally getting a bit of stability, which the portal, NIL, etc. are shaking up (and they are shaking things up for all teams, not just ours). CJD comes across as genuine. I'd argue that the kids who find that to be attractive are for the most part the kids that we need. And he has been flexible enough to do what seems from a distance to be a good job of working the portal system.

I don't have inside info and I only know what I see and what I read, but at this point I'm comfortable that an effective guy is in charge.

Not only that, but his DC, OC replacement hires were, are awesome, SLAM DUNK, HOMERUN HIRES, or at least should be.

Also altho your right about what you said, Dickert is EXTREMELY WELL SPOKEN, LIKEABLE, CHARISMATIC.

People wrong assume that well spoken, likeable, charismatic, persuasive, sales skills, etc, HC's are not ethical, real, genuine, sincere, honest, etc, like Dickert seems to be.

Also while Dickert is not beating out Alabama types for 4 stars, 5 stars, etc, he is BOTH doing a good job of evaluating, developing, NOW, better then when he started as DC, and is recruiting HIGHEST ENDED 2 Stars, 3 stars, Highest ended 3 star(3.5 stars), with DEVELOPMENT POTENTIAL, UPSIDE, RAW, UNDEVELOPED, BUT STILL GOOD ATHLETICISM, THAT HAVE SOME GOOD OFFERS BY OTHER TEAM'S, where he is NOW starting to get, BEAT OUT some of the middle class teams for, UNLIKE when he was DC under Rolo.

And he has done a SEMI ALMOST SEMI MASTERFUL job at using the Portal, etc, to replace what lost thru the portal.

And his recruiting, hiring, coaching is IMPROVING, GETTING BETTER, AND IS LEARNING ON THE JOB WELL.

So Dickert is a better salesman, recruiter then people think.

And he is young, has a lot of energy.

And he has hired some really good salesmen, recruiters under him, NOW, as Arbuckle is a pretty good recruiter.

Reactions: M-I-Coug

@ CSU - win
Wisconsin - loss
Northern Colorado - win
@ ASU - win
@ Cal - win

@ Oregon - loss
@ UCLA - loss
@ UW - loss
Arizona - win
Colorado - win

Oregon State - win
Stanford - win

With all the talent returning in the conference I’d be happy w 6-6 next year. The conference is going to be brutal…feels like almost everyone will get better. We need much better line and QB play to have a chance at a decent season. Hopefully Arbuckle can work his magic quickly.

With all the talent returning in the conference I’d be happy w 6-6 next year. The conference is going to be brutal…feels like almost everyone will get better. We need much better line and QB play to have a chance at a decent season. Hopefully Arbuckle can work his magic quickly.

The conference may be even tougher next season, then the tough conference, this season, but WSU's conference schedule is EASIER then this just finished season.

WSU misses USC, Utah, and UCLA who the do play, lost DTR and a LOT(that better then playing this just finished season's DTR UCLA)(UCLA will be worse, not better).

The only bad thing about schedule is the 4 road games back to back to back to back in row. But at least those are semi easier, winnable games, except for maybe 1 of those 4 road games.

If WSU makes it thru that 4 road game stretch with at least a 2-2 record, it will probably be good the rest of way.

With how the schedule is, 6-6, 5-7, should be the ultimate extreme MINIMUM, FLOOR.

Arbuckle, and the RB's, and the transfers, JC's, PORTAL guys, etc, that Dickert got to replace the Portal Losses, should be good enough to win at least 6-6, 5-7, at ULTIMATE EXTREME WORST.

And either Mateer or Cam Ward will be good enough to get at least that at worst.

And there is still a chance that maybe WSU will get either a Portal, or JC transfer QB as well.

Also there is the Dickert Factor. I don't think Dickert is the type of coach that would get less then 6-6,7-5,5-7.

The thing I like about CJD is that he is not flashy. He plays to his strengths, which seem to be sincerity, honesty, integrity, etc. As a result, he ends up getting kids who value those things. As time passes he will get more and more of those kids. We had a lot of turnover from the last year of Leach to the Rolo period to CJD. We are finally getting a bit of stability, which the portal, NIL, etc. are shaking up (and they are shaking things up for all teams, not just ours). CJD comes across as genuine. I'd argue that the kids who find that to be attractive are for the most part the kids that we need. And he has been flexible enough to do what seems from a distance to be a good job of working the portal system.

He's kind of the football equivalent of Tony Bennett...but not quite the level of charisma.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
The conference may be even tougher next season, then the tough conference, this season, but WSU's conference schedule is EASIER then this just finished season.

WSU misses USC, Utah, and UCLA who the do play, lost DTR and a LOT(that better then playing this just finished season's DTR UCLA)(UCLA will be worse, not better).

The only bad thing about schedule is the 4 road games back to back to back to back in row. But at least those are semi easier, winnable games, except for maybe 1 of those 4 road games.

If WSU makes it thru that 4 road game stretch with at least a 2-2 record, it will probably be good the rest of way.

With how the schedule is, 6-6, 5-7, should be the ultimate extreme MINIMUM, FLOOR.

Arbuckle, and the RB's, and the transfers, JC's, PORTAL guys, etc, that Dickert got to replace the Portal Losses, should be good enough to win at least 6-6, 5-7, at ULTIMATE EXTREME WORST.

And either Mateer or Cam Ward will be good enough to get at least that at worst.

And there is still a chance that maybe WSU will get either a Portal, or JC transfer QB as well.

Also there is the Dickert Factor. I don't think Dickert is the type of coach that would get less then 6-6,7-5,5-7.
We don't yet have the Pac-12 schedule, Mik. Doubt we have that volume of back-to-back road games. Flat was just listing the schedule without yet knowing the order.

Reactions: Flatlandcoug
I don't think the schedule dates have been announced yet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT