ADVERTISEMENT

4-1

kougkurt

Hall Of Fame
Nov 19, 2011
Everyone on this board would have taken this record after 5 games. It meant winning every game your “supposed” to and getting a W on either Wisconsin or Oregon.
The coaches have done solid work motivating this team each week. Halftime adjustments have been extremely effective. Dickert continues to show he was the right choice. And yes, his wife is still hot.

Everyone on this board would have taken this record after 5 games. It meant winning every game your “supposed” to and getting a W on either Wisconsin or Oregon.
The coaches have done solid work motivating this team each week. Halftime adjustments have been extremely effective. Dickert continues to show he was the right choice. And yes, his wife is still hot.

I feel like your last sentence is necessary no matter what.

This win felt a bit like progress. Cal shot themselves in the foot a lot, but the d-line came to play. If Ward could knock it off with the Superman crap he could've ended this game sooner, but he does throw a pretty deep ball. And the pass protection was pretty good for most of the game. Rush 3 Drop 8 didn't work. I'm very happy with the record, given where I figured we'd be right now.

Reactions: justinbgocougs
I'd like to see Ward use his feet and take the yards. That will stretch the defense and be to the benefit when a game is close and the defense has to make a decision: play the pass, the run, or have Cam Ward run over them.

(Oregon game would've been a great example to take advantage of this.)

Reactions: KRUSTYtheCOUG
Agree that we would have all been pleased with a 4-1 start. What makes it encouraging is that we are winning even when we aren't playing well. If we ever get everything to come together at once....we are going to be a team that nobody wants to face.

Ward is a great talent but he makes some incredibly bone headed decisions. I trust that will continue to improve, but this is a game that we could have easily lost courtesy of bad plays. Brink fueled years of debate because of his pick sixes in his first couple years. Hope Ward learns from the dumb mistakes.

Reactions: mikalalas
akira kurosawa we aint afraid of the sword GIF by Maudit
There is still a little "something" missing from our offense. Doesn't feel like it strikes terror into the enemy.

But let's not get grouchy when the defense slaps the opposition silly.

I declare our Dline & Linebackers to be the Seven Cougar Samurai.

This win felt a bit like progress. Cal shot themselves in the foot a lot, but the d-line came to play. If Ward could knock it off with the Superman crap he could've ended this game sooner, but he does throw a pretty deep ball. And the pass protection was pretty good for most of the game. Rush 3 Drop 8 didn't work. I'm very happy with the record, given where I figured we'd be right now.
Jimmy Lake doesn't agree. He would have made it work...because he's brilliant.

There is still a little "something" missing from our offense. Doesn't feel like it strikes terror into the enemy.

I thought so too obviously when we only had 7 at half. Then you look up at the end of the game and we have 425 yards of offense and 28 points…and certainly could have minimum 6 more if not for the bad picks. That’s gonna get it done most saturdays the way the D has played (with the exception of last week)

Reactions: mikalalas

I hate to tell you this - but 3 of the top 4 and 4 of the top 6 tacklers yesterday play in the secondary.

The one thing that has surprised me is not only the 4-1 start, but the fact this team is minus 4 in turnovers, and still has a 4-1 record. Last year if we didn’t win the turnover battle we lost the game. It is critical to win the turnover battle in the next game in order to have a chance in the game. Ward can’t afford any picks next week.

The one thing that has surprised me is not only the 4-1 start, but the fact this team is minus 4 in turnovers, and still has a 4-1 record. Last year if we didn’t win the turnover battle we lost the game. It is critical to win the turnover battle in the next game in order to have a chance in the game. Ward can’t afford any picks next week.

They have played incredible bend but don’t break defense in the redzone. They’ve done really well at keeping the other team from capitalizing on the turn over’s.

Agreed. It’s an oddity to this season. I have a feeling we have an upcoming game or two that will be a turnover-fest for the defense. This Saturday would be great timing for that.

Its nail-biter football, for sure.

Having to rely on your defense every single game is the opposite of what the football psyche is accustomed to, and to be fair/ honest the P12 isn't really known as a defensive league. We are used to seeing high powered offenses helmed by NFL caliber qbs dictating the course of the game, so knowing that we may 3 and out or turn the ball over on a coin flip on any series is frustrating and belies the effectiveness and efficiency of what is actually happening on the field.

ADVERTISEMENT