ADVERTISEMENT

4 Years Later Myron Turner situation

WASH ST A&M FAN

Head Coach
Sep 4, 2002
The Texas recruit whose offer was pulled late in the recruiting process for another player in 2013.

His DeSoto High coach bashed Leach & other "Coug Fans" took the opportunity join in as well for the action.

Well......Turner ended up a Utah St & Redshirted, recorded 2 tackle assists as a R-Frosh, suspended from the team his whole sophomore year & ended up at something called Angelo State (D II).

And for the Cougs???? I would say the 2013 WSU recruiting class has turned out pretty well.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/school/_/id/265/class/2013

Last edited:
The Texas recruit whose offer was pulled late in the recruiting process for another player in 2013.

His DeSoto High coach bashed Leach & other "Coug Fans" took the opportunity join in as well for the action.

Well......Turner ended up a Utah St & Redshirted, recorded 2 tackle assists as a R-Frosh, suspended from the team his whole sophomore year & ended up at something called Angelo State (D II).

And for the Cougs???? I would say the 2013 WSU recruiting class has turned out pretty well.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/school/_/id/265/class/2013

It seems like the vast majority of decommits (Turner would obviously not be one) have a rough career. Montrel Meander took Turner's slot, then reneged and committed to Texas, and was dismissed from the team after being charged with sexual assault.

Just remember that you'll never really hear from the coaches about who backed off from who.

I've found it interesting that we really haven't recruited Texas much in the Leach regime. Not saying it's because of this, I'm sure one HS coach doesn't have that much pull. But, still interesting as I figured we'd pull a few guys from TX every year.

I've found it interesting that we really haven't recruited Texas much in the Leach regime. Not saying it's because of this, I'm sure one HS coach doesn't have that much pull. But, still interesting as I figured we'd pull a few guys from TX every year.
I would venture to guess that the whole Leach recruiting Texas thing is a bit overblown at this point. It's been a decade now since he actually coached in Texas, no 17 year olds recall his days at Tech...he might have a few old connections down there, and some old timer fans that recall the origins of the air Raid, but I don't think he's any more likely to get a kid in Texas interested vs. a kid in California. Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

I think you have to dig thru California first before you send people and resources into Texas. Im guessing they haven't gone because they haven't needed to.

Just the LA basin alone has (mas o menos) about 15 million people. Add in San Diego and the southern half of the emptier part of the state and you have roughly 20 million. That is a lot of kids to sift through. Minimum 4 assistants at a PAC school should be focused there. Toss in one for the Sacto/East Bay/Big Valley and another for the SF peninsula and you have minimum 6 staff recruiting California. You have to have 1 or 2 for your home state and its surrounding area...for political reasons if not strictly for recruiting purposes. So that means that the AZ's, ASU's, OSU's, UO's, UU's, CO's, UW's and WSU's of the PAC only have a guy or two that they could send to Texas...or Chicagoland...or Las Vegas (Vegas has quietly grown to almost 2 million) or use to handle the occasional kid who pops up anywhere else. We've seemed to use about half of a guy in Florida pretty consistently. There simply are no folks available to do the normal day in/day out recruiting efforts in Texas, unless CML chose to pull somebody from somewhere else. A risk/reward sort of calculation.

Just the LA basin alone has (mas o menos) about 15 million people. Add in San Diego and the southern half of the emptier part of the state and you have roughly 20 million. That is a lot of kids to sift through. Minimum 4 assistants at a PAC school should be focused there. Toss in one for the Sacto/East Bay/Big Valley and another for the SF peninsula and you have minimum 6 staff recruiting California. You have to have 1 or 2 for your home state and its surrounding area...for political reasons if not strictly for recruiting purposes. So that means that the AZ's, ASU's, OSU's, UO's, UU's, CO's, UW's and WSU's of the PAC only have a guy or two that they could send to Texas...or Chicagoland...or Las Vegas (Vegas has quietly grown to almost 2 million) or use to handle the occasional kid who pops up anywhere else. We've seemed to use about half of a guy in Florida pretty consistently. There simply are no folks available to do the normal day in/day out recruiting efforts in Texas, unless CML chose to pull somebody from somewhere else. A risk/reward sort of calculation.

One angle that may change the calculus a little here is Phelps seeming to have been recruiting Texas for Minnesota (he had recruited Josh Croslen, a Texas HS DT who just decommitted from Minnesota). Doesn't take away from your analysis at all, which makes sense, but it could be worth the risk/reward for Phelps to keep working some of those connections in Texas at least part time, assuming he had them. We've seen Roy Manning do some recruiting in Michigan, so it seems like they're willing to let the coaches do some recruiting in their former home territories or other areas they may have some pull in (in Manning's case, he's a Michigan native, so he has some additional credibility there).

On the flip side, any time that Manning, Phelps, and/or Sage spends working territories in the midwest takes away from them spending time on any kind of dedicated Texas effort.

I think you have to dig thru California first before you send people and resources into Texas. Im guessing they haven't gone because they haven't needed to.

I would have thought we'd go into Texas before we went into Fla/Ga, yet, here we are recruiting Fla/Ga. Not complaining, just figured we'd be in TX more.

You send the head man to see the in state kids. No reason to add more guys to so few numbers.

If it were me... I'd put my entire staff on a plane to SoCal. Everyone goes out and hits 4 schools per day, knock out an area all at once, have staff dinner and meet that night, fly home Friday night to see the family. Wash, rinse, repeat the following week. Hit LA, San Diego, SF and get crazy and go to Chicago if there's time.

I've never liked the idea of having 1 guy with a specific area. It doesn't maximize time, it doesn't maximize exposure. One or two guys can't get everywhere they need to be. I dunno that the relationship with a high school coach matters as much as having a coach from your school at least walk thru the door and show that you're university is interested. Assistant coaches will come and go so having a coach consistently show up matters, even if it's a different guy every two years.

If WSU were smart they'd hire a support staff for the athletic department that did nothing but focus on Southern California. Have people down there that did all the legwork for your coaching staff. Football, basketball, baseball, volleyball, track, soccer, etc... Just have people that collect transcripts, film, make contacts so when your coach puts boots on the pavement their time is well spent and every rock has been turned over for them to find talent.

Reactions: Orecoug
I would have thought we'd go into Texas before we went into Fla/Ga, yet, here we are recruiting Fla/Ga. Not complaining, just figured we'd be in TX more.

Texas may have a reputation in coaching for being over recruited. Or the kids may have a reputation for not wanting to leave home or if they do leave home finishing out all 4 or 5 years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT