ADVERTISEMENT

$6MM matching challenge

BleedCrimsonandGray

Hall Of Fame
Oct 2, 2007
Two families have stepped up to match donations to get the IPF funded. I found this 4 stories down in my emailed "quarterly update" and first read it on my Google feed, which begs the question:

why isn't Chun shouting this from the mountains? If nothing else it deserves its own email, right?

Anyway, time to open the wallets, Cougs. LETS GO!

Reactions: 79COUG

The other point is why do they make it difficult for the "small fan" to give?

Crowd funding works.

Small guy, crowd funding does work, help a lot, BUT despite that, it doesnt help enough.

MOOS tried a CROWD funding, small guy, small donation campaign.

WSU/Moos invested a lot of time, pr, money, marketing, etc.

And it did help. Donations did increase. But it was nowhere near enough.

A lot of WSU fans were still too apathetic, etc.

Also to fund WSU, having either a crowdfunding campaign or a big donor campaign is, are not enough in an of themselves separately

To fund WSU you need BOTH of a big donor campaign, and a crowd funding campaign.

Separately, WSU just is not able to either generate enough crowd funding to meet all the need, want.

And WSU just doesnt have a big donor base to do it all with some big donors.

Would be nice to do it all with just crowdfunding, or just big donors, but thats not gona happen at WSU.

Need both crowdfunding and some big donations.

The problem has been that WSU administration has either not see that, or done anything about that.

And the problem has been that the small guys, and big donors both havent stepped up to the plate IN GENERAL, COLLECTIVELY.

If WSU Administration/Chun, whoever the AD is, would do both small guy and big donor campaigns, and if small guys, and big donors would step up to the plate and donate, thst would solve the problem.

Its too bad Chun wasnt AD, immediatly, seconds after Leach was hired.

Chun, unlike Moos, would have CAPITALIZED on Leach's success, and done small guy and big donor campaigns, and probably woukd have raised more money the Moos did.

But now, this is not really a good time for fundraising.

Because of Covid, there is a loss of jobs, and even for thise with jobs, money is tighter, because of Covid, etc.

That makes small guy donations harder financially.

Next cant attend games, spring ball, fall ball, practices, games, etc, canceled, bad year, crap season, etc, not a good recipe for both small guy, and big donor donations.

In fact its practically a miracle that WSU/Chun got 2 big donors under current past, and present conditions.

Chun is mindful of all this.

When WSU football ramps up successfully under Rolo, and after Covid, Chun will likely start ramping up both small donor, big donor campaigns.

And if Rolo doesnt get it done, then Chun would fire him after 3,4 years, hire a successful coach, then after that coach is successful, ramp up both small donor and big donor campaigns.

This is not a simple issue. This is a more complex issue.

Its going to take a lot more then saying they should do more small donor campaigns to fix this.

And even tho the buck falls on the AD, etc.

The true buck is on each of us to donate if we are able to, want to, etc.

If we are going to say people should donate more, etc, we better be prepared to put our money where our mouth is if we are able to.

without
Small guy, crowd funding does work, help a lot, BUT despite that, it doesnt help enough.

MOOS tried a CROWD funding, small guy, small donation campaign.

WSU/Moos invested a lot of time, pr, money, marketing, etc.

And it did help. Donations did increase. But it was nowhere near enough.

A lot of WSU fans were still too apathetic, etc.

Also to fund WSU, having either a crowdfunding campaign or a big donor campaign is, are not enough in an of themselves separately

To fund WSU you need BOTH of a big donor campaign, and a crowd funding campaign.

Separately, WSU just is not able to either generate enough crowd funding to meet all the need, want.

And WSU just doesnt have a big donor base to do it all with some big donors.

Would be nice to do it all with just crowdfunding, or just big donors, but thats not gona happen at WSU.

Need both crowdfunding and some big donations.

The problem has been that WSU administration has either not see that, or done anything about that.

And the problem has been that the small guys, and big donors both havent stepped up to the plate IN GENERAL, COLLECTIVELY.

If WSU Administration/Chun, whoever the AD is, would do both small guy and big donor campaigns, and if small guys, and big donors would step up to the plate and donate, thst would solve the problem.

Its too bad Chun wasnt AD, immediatly, seconds after Leach was hired.

Chun, unlike Moos, would have CAPITALIZED on Leach's success, and done small guy and big donor campaigns, and probably woukd have raised more money the Moos did.

But now, this is not really a good time for fundraising.

Because of Covid, there is a loss of jobs, and even for thise with jobs, money is tighter, because of Covid, etc.

That makes small guy donations harder financially.

Next cant attend games, spring ball, fall ball, practices, games, etc, canceled, bad year, crap season, etc, not a good recipe for both small guy, and big donor donations.

In fact its practically a miracle that WSU/Chun got 2 big donors under current past, and present conditions.

Chun is mindful of all this.

When WSU football ramps up successfully under Rolo, and after Covid, Chun will likely start ramping up both small donor, big donor campaigns.

And if Rolo doesnt get it done, then Chun would fire him after 3,4 years, hire a successful coach, then after that coach is successful, ramp up both small donor and big donor campaigns.

This is not a simple issue. This is a more complex issue.

Its going to take a lot more then saying they should do more small donor campaigns to fix this.

And even tho the buck falls on the AD, etc.

The true buck is on each of us to donate if we are able to, want to, etc.

If we are going to say people should donate more, etc, we better be prepared to put our money where our mouth is if we are able to.
without going through point by point, I'll just say that you're wrong about Moos and small fish. He was interested in whales and struck out. The initial ANWCF was priced to keep small fish out, and less expensive blue collar events were not considered worth the time or effort.

Two families have stepped up to match donations to get the IPF funded. I found this 4 stories down in my emailed "quarterly update" and first read it on my Google feed, which begs the question:

why isn't Chun shouting this from the mountains? If nothing else it deserves its own email, right?

Anyway, time to open the wallets, Cougs. LETS GO!

I saw it on a headline in Jon Wilner’s Pac12 Hotline. Why isn’t this all over the Seattle Times and Spokesman Review And local news And everywhere else? Are we still waiting for an official announcement or is WSU really screwing the pooch on this?

This also seems to be a good time to come up with some type of recognition program for donors. Ie.- donate $5K and you get your name on a brick type of thing.

I saw it on a headline in Jon Wilner’s Pac12 Hotline. Why isn’t this all over the Seattle Times and Spokesman Review And local news And everywhere else? Are we still waiting for an official announcement or is WSU really screwing the pooch on this?

This also seems to be a good time to come up with some type of recognition program for donors. Ie.- donate $5K and you get your name on a brick type of thing.
Also, this will be the 2nd year w/o NWCF fundraiser. What's the plan there?

At WSU you need to be creative and work hard to get every nickel.

That's the way it is.

To that end, we will never really know if a "give 5" (five dollars) to virtually every Coug alum and/or Coug family would yield.

We assume it will swing and miss, but never have put much emphasis in this.

Go Fund Me to for the IPF. We will never know if it will work until we give it a shot.

At WSU you need to be creative and work hard to get every nickel.

That's the way it is.

To that end, we will never really know if a "give 5" (five dollars) to virtually every Coug alum and/or Coug family would yield.

We assume it will swing and miss, but never have put much emphasis in this.

Go Fund Me to for the IPF. We will never know if it will work until we give it a shot.
Well....the WSU website claims 197,000 alumni. So if every one of them gave $5, the total isn't even $1M. Only 41,000 (20.8%) are members of the alumni association, so I'd guess that getting a dime out of even half the alumni is a pipe dream.

We really just need to keep our fingers crossed that a WSU alum hits the jackpot next time Powerball gets to $1B. And just in case there's any doubt, I would be willing to take that bullet.

Well....the WSU website claims 197,000 alumni. So if every one of them gave $5, the total isn't even $1M. Only 41,000 (20.8%) are members of the alumni association, so I'd guess that getting a dime out of even half the alumni is a pipe dream.

We really just need to keep our fingers crossed that a WSU alum hits the jackpot next time Powerball gets to $1B. And just in case there's any doubt, I would be willing to take that bullet.

THIS THIS.

Some of you are forgeting that Moos, etc, did a campaign where WSU fans, alumni, etc, were encouraged, asked to give $50 a year, about $4.50 a month to join the CAF. This was during, after Leach Success.

That campaign was a dismal failure.

Thats why I said that need both small donations and big donations, and a committed fan base, and a good AD

Last edited:
The best WSU marketing campaign wasn't actually the work of the university. Flying a flag at Game Day was the work of an alum.

WSU is full of idiots. They can't see the forest from the trees.

1) WSU fans wear the gear.
2) WSU fans aren't donating tons of money at a time.
3) Sell them $30 tee shirts. See how many sell. Offer a monthly subscription. Start low and build. Go from there.

Honestly, it could be anything. Start somewhere and move forward. Starting by asking more money than people have or are willing to spend hasn't worked.

For an ag school, the WSU admin has poor vision of how to grow and farm donors.

The best WSU marketing campaign wasn't actually the work of the university. Flying a flag at Game Day was the work of an alum.

3) Sell them $30 tee shirts. See how many sell. Offer a monthly subscription. Start low and build. Go from there.

Honestly, it could be anything. Start somewhere and move forward. Starting by asking more money than people have or are willing to spend hasn't worked.

Worse than that, we make it hard to donate. The WSU website has a tiny link at the top of the page, really easy to overlook. When you go to it, you end up at the Foundation website, where you have to pick what you want the money to go to. The default here should be unrestricted giving - but to find that you have to pick the right parent menu and then find it in a submenu. God forbid you want to donate anything other than cash - then we make you fill out a bunch of forms, and some donors just get frustrated with the process and give up. Worse, there's little effective vetting of donations, and we tend to accept donations of things that the donor is trying to get rid of, and which end up costing money to manage or dispose of.

And the CAF is - at present - worse. The "donate" link on the wsucougars.com site is for donation requests - apparently for the university to donate to others - and is just a link to a form that doesn't work. If you go into the actual CAF page, you get a notice that the donation page is down for system upgrades March 8-12, please go to the Foundation website to make your donation. The fact that this is posted on the 6th is the smallest of the problems with this. You don't take down your donation page, and you certainly don't do it for a week.

If someone wants to give you money, you should make it very easy for them to do it. Giving it to you without strings should be the easiest option. WSU doesn't seem to understand this. If someone googles "donate to WSU," the top result should be the form that lets them say how much. Instead, we ask where the money should go, is WSU in their will, and do they want to give a little more - all before we get their credit card info. Take the damn money...then ask questions in follow-up. Also...don't give them buttons with suggested donation amounts. Take what they'll give. We'd probably find that people thinking about giving $100 only give $50 because we gave that option. Others who were thinking $20 don't give anything because that's not an option. Just leave it blank and let them fill it in. Above all...take what they'll give.

WSU needs to fire the entire fundraising department and get new people and new ideas. Bring in staff from schools that are doing a great job with donors. To continue this ridiculousness is asinine.

Reactions: mikalalas

KSU used to have a student donation program called ICAT.....which stood for "I contributed a twenty". Donate $20 and get a t-shirt every year. Simple conditioning to give money to the school.

WSU needs to fire the entire fundraising department and get new people and new ideas. Bring in staff from schools that are doing a great job with donors. To continue this ridiculousness is asinine.
that's what the Moos hire was supposed to be...

Moos was hired to fire Wulff and unplug the Wulff-Walden football death cult whose members threatened to pull their money if Wulff's job was ever touched.

Moos almost failed at that
While that is true, I was I'm meetings where we we were given the UO fundraising template and directed to follow it. While Moos didn't personally do this, it's a safe assumption he was behind it.

While that is true, I was I'm meetings where we we were given the UO fundraising template and directed to follow it. While Moos didn't personally do this, it's a safe assumption he was behind it.

No. The late Jim Bartko is the one who deserves the credit that Bill Moos took.

Remember. Chun was the fundraising guru. Per Schulz. I think he’s going a great job overall but the original sale was raising funds

No. The late Jim Bartko is the one who deserves the credit that Bill Moos took.
Couldn't be much more clear than I was before, but here we go:

Me, in fundraising meeting for CAF (before it was CAF and each region had "Cougar Club"... ugh), being given a piece of paper and being told "this is what Moos did at Oregon and we're going to do it here."

So the answer is "yes" to the original question - he was brought in because of his fundraising. Whether he deserved the credit or not, it was given to him by the WSU staff at the time.

I like the give $4.35 a month, $50 a year to join the CAF.

ONLY PROBLEM.

It wasnt marketed well. Sure Moos publically announced, asked fans to do that.

But thats all he did.

Only reason I knew about it was for 2 reasons.

1. He announced it, asked publically.

2. I went to the cougar football booth at the spring game where they recruited me to donate $4.50 a month, $50 a year to join the CAF.

After that, I never heard anything more. No more announcements, public asking. No emails, No contact, No Reminders, No thank you's, etc.

There should have been a full blown public marketing campaign, pushing that in public.

I and others should have gotten more emails, reminders, thank you's, etc.

Failure to do those things is not a good way to get fans, alums, people, donors, to donate even 50 a year to join the CAF, and not a good way to Retain the few who do donate 50 to join the CAF.

They need to do a better job.

That said no matter how good a job they do, the fans, alums, have to be committed, because if they arent, it wont matter how good a job is done on a donation campaign.

Couldn't be much more clear than I was before, but here we go:

Me, in fundraising meeting for CAF (before it was CAF and each region had "Cougar Club"... ugh), being given a piece of paper and being told "this is what Moos did at Oregon and we're going to do it here."

So the answer is "yes" to the original question - he was brought in because of his fundraising. Whether he deserved the credit or not, it was given to him by the WSU staff at the time.

Sometimes the truth needs to be told as opposed to the story presented.

RIP, Jim.

Sometimes the truth needs to be told as opposed to the story presented.

RIP, Jim.
While I don't disagree about the truth being told, I think that to the informed there is no doubt that Moos was NOT the fundraiser he claimed to be or that the school expected him to be. The only real growth we had was simply because of the hiring of Leach, not anything specific he did to generate donations. In fact I would venture as far to say that the staff that was in place for most of his tenure was still operating under the "good ol' boy, rub elbows with the whales only" philosophy.

Nusser, who I hardly ever agree with, wrote a pretty pointed article hitting on the nepotism and cronyism. I won't link it out of respect to Scott, but you can find it with a google search. Highlights include:
  • The athletics department did a poor job of tracking who was using complimentary tickets to football games, including one instance in which four premium seats were given away, but the record of whom they had been given to had been destroyed by former Deputy Athletics Director Mike Marlow.
  • The school’s contract with IMG was changed without going through the proper channels, including an addendum that was not subject to competitive bidding. Additionally, IMG received more than $40,000 worth of tickets beyond what was required by the contract.
  • Athletics staff was offered discounts on tickets that potentially violated state laws against special privileges and benefits. Additionally, the discounts — which had been in place since 2012 — might have cost WSU more than $130,000 in revenue in 2016 alone. And half of the staff who took advantage of the discount never actually fully paid for their seats, including one unnamed staffer who owed roughly $3,000.
(credit Nusser)

Just like the slick used-car salesman he is Bill ducked accountability and I seem to remember Marlow getting most of the heat on this one. Ohhhhhh Bill, you rascal you!

Reactions: Observer11
000 alumni. So if every one of them gave $5, the total isn't even $1M. Only 41,000 (20.8%) are members of the alumni association, so I'd guess that getting a dime out of even half the alumni is a pipe dream.

The former AD who was an alum didn't even kick in himself.....so, yeah, pipe dream.

These shortcomings with the CAF are an absolute joke. I was writing 13 years ago about simple, easy improvements they could make to the site and their policies/procedures. It's all common sense stuff. Even if they needed to hire a consultant to tell them the same thing, what would that cost, $100k? Should have been a decade or more ago.

Still having issues like 95Coug wrote about above is unforgivable, and for a guy who supposedly is a great AD, I have no idea why Chun still hasn't fixed this stuff.

These shortcomings with the CAF are an absolute joke. I was writing 13 years ago about simple, easy improvements they could make to the site and their policies/procedures. It's all common sense stuff. Even if they needed to hire a consultant to tell them the same thing, what would that cost, $100k? Should have been a decade or more ago.

Still having issues like 95Coug wrote about above is unforgivable, and for a guy who supposedly is a great AD, I have no idea why Chun still hasn't fixed this stuff.

You are absolutely right with all you are saying.

I can only add that this has been going on for as long as I can remember, through different University Presidents, Athletic Directors, Boards of Regents, and all the various “minions” working under these administrators.

I’m afraid all these shortcomings are endemic to our existence.

I see frustrated fans lamenting these issues and proposing interesting suggestions for improvement. It always seems to fall on deaf ears. It’s as if any idea doesn’t come directly from staffers won’t ever even be considered. Or, if considered, the attitude is more towards finding excuses why something can’t be done, rather than finding ways to make innovative ideas actually work. Sometimes it just boils down to “that’s just not the way we are used to doing things”...seriously!

Again, this is not isolated to any administration, nor even any era, over the past four or five decades. It’s very, very frustrating, bordering on depressing.

What we seem to primarily be left with - 1) praying for a sugar daddy, either individual or corporate, 2) continuing to hunt for whales (a level below true sugar daddy status), 3) hoping for “manna from heaven” in the form of TV deal money from the (recently) historically mismanaged conference 4) hoping for miracles out of a “magic AD hire”.

All wishful thinking? Probably. I wish I had the right answers to our problems. I don’t.

And I’m not really over the headaches I got over the many years, trying in my own small way to make a positive difference. I have a couple of close friends who tried harder, did more, and got dumped on even worse. But we are all still solid supportive Cougs. Even if our support doesn’t involve more than attending games (and CAF membership/donation) these days.

Reactions: 425cougfan
Probably a lot of you have been involved in fund raising efforts for specific goals, whether it was for your church, your school, your kid's school, youth sports, other youth activities, a charity, etc. I've been in more than I can say that I've enjoyed, and I'm sure that, barring my sudden expiration, I'm nowhere near done. And after all that, I can make one absolute, unqualified, believe it 100% statement: matching gift campaigns work. For a specific, measurable goal, they work better than any other choice other than lining up a single donor to pay for the whole shebang. There is the matter of making people aware of the campaign. And I'm firmly of the belief that you have to have a deadline...fairly short term, probably no more than 6-8 weeks, because a sense of urgency is needed. BUT...and this is a big but...deadlines lead to self-inflicted damage if you don't get the message out, and people don't know about the campaign or the deadline.

I have seen the IPF matching gift campaign on fan sites. But I don't recall getting anything from the school, asking me to give.

And that has me scratching my old, bald head. I don't get it. I may not be on the first page of the alum donor list, but I'm probably on the second. And nobody from the school has communicated with me on this.

Have any of you heard directly from WSU about this in any manner? Maybe I missed the email in the hundred-plus that I get every day?

Probably a lot of you have been involved in fund raising efforts for specific goals, whether it was for your church, your school, your kid's school, youth sports, other youth activities, a charity, etc. I've been in more than I can say that I've enjoyed, and I'm sure that, barring my sudden expiration, I'm nowhere near done. And after all that, I can make one absolute, unqualified, believe it 100% statement: matching gift campaigns work. For a specific, measurable goal, they work better than any other choice other than lining up a single donor to pay for the whole shebang. There is the matter of making people aware of the campaign. And I'm firmly of the belief that you have to have a deadline...fairly short term, probably no more than 6-8 weeks, because a sense of urgency is needed. BUT...and this is a big but...deadlines lead to self-inflicted damage if you don't get the message out, and people don't know about the campaign or the deadline.

I have seen the IPF matching gift campaign on fan sites. But I don't recall getting anything from the school, asking me to give.

And that has me scratching my old, bald head. I don't get it. I may not be on the first page of the alum donor list, but I'm probably on the second. And nobody from the school has communicated with me on this.

Have any of you heard directly from WSU about this in any manner? Maybe I missed the email in the hundred-plus that I get every day?
Nope, not one peep - hence the thread.

And my stubborn brain is now telling me "well, if they don't care enough to ask for it directly I guess they don't need my money", as if giving Chun and the department the mental bird will do the Cougs any good in the big picture.

How hard would it be to make a big production of of this whole thing? I'll answer that - not very hard. Tease it for a week -" Huge Cougar announcement on the way! Be sure to tune into our youtube channel next Friday!" Bring in JT, Minshew, Leaf - whoever you can get your hands on to amp up the excitement. Hell, even have them start posting stuff on social media. Then make the announcement and put a challenge/ timeline on it - "We want to raise $100k by next Friday." Or whatever. Make incremental goals so that people who can't chip in immediately might be able to do so in a month, BUT KEEP THEM INVOLVED. Get pledges.

All easy stuff - none of it was done.

Why?

Last edited:

The only e-mails I get from the CAF are the ones asking for my seatback donation. I don't recall seeing messages for any specific campaigns at all. I also stopped getting calls and e-mails for academic and alumni association fundraising. Probably been a couple years since I've heard from them at all. I'm a platinum life member with my name on the wall and the floor, I'm a double alum (will be triple in a year), and I've had season tickets for a couple decades. My phone number and address are up to date. The university has my bank account information. But somehow they can't figure out how to get hold of me once a year to ask for a couple bucks.

The ineptitude is truly mind-boggling.

Probably the same reason Moos and Sterk didn't fix it- no budget. Now, why that isn't in the budget would be a fascinating story to hear.

No doubt because I just said yesterday I never get anything from them, today I got a message from the Foundation. It wasn't about donating, exactly...it was about making sure WSU is in my will.

No doubt because I just said yesterday I never get anything from them, today I got a message from the Foundation. It wasn't about donating, exactly...it was about making sure WSU is in my will.

95, timing is everything in life!

:rolleyes:

Foundation or CAF?

CAF don't play that game.

The big boy fund raisers play the estate planning long con. :)

CAF is the short term grift.

Just a quick update - the donation website that was supposed to be getting an upgrade during the week of March 8-12? It's still down.

We're at at least 10 days since the primary donation website for CAF has been functional.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT