ADVERTISEMENT

A certain sports network gets it wrong on cougs.....

SCglory

Hall Of Fame
Dec 19, 2003
I will not mention specifics (unsure of policy on linking other sites, mags) but when I read my football mag from a certain sports network, it seemed to me they really, really undersold the cougs as a team, esp. considering their "power index" ranking against individual teams and overall. If I remember correctly their prediction was 6.6 wins for cougs....by their own figuring I thought it should be closer to 8. even their own supporting narrative was more optimistic of the cougs' chances.....

I've seen a couple instances of that as well, but I consider it to be a blessing in disguise at this stage of our program development. Prior to last season, we had been an invisible participant in the P5 ranks for over a decade. It can be argued by outsiders that last seasons close wins won't all go our way this year, and that we'll come crashing down to earth due to a rebuilt defense and opposing teams not taking us lightly.

I hope our team still plays with the hunger and desperation they did beginning with the Rutgers game last season. I think we're going to very good, but we need to stack a few good seasons together before we can expect to garner National preseason hype. Let UW carry the weight of expectations as a P12 North dark horse.

We're not a perfect team, but if Falk and our primary skill players stay healthy, we've reached the point where opposing coaches know they're in for a long day if they don't have athletes in their back-7 capable of manning up and covering sideline to sideline. How many teams on our schedule have the type of pass rush and multiple cover guys to shut us down? Oh, and while it's critical that we keep Falk healthy, the same holds true for our opponents. Good luck coming into Pullman (or playing us at home) with your backup QB.

Reactions: Coug1990
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT