ADVERTISEMENT

A couple of tidbits from Chun's presser

ScottHood

Nov 8, 2007
Salary = $650k per year

1 major incentive in his contract is, not surprisingly, tied to fundraising. $25,000 if he meets the fundraising goals agreed upon with Shulz. Also gets $25,000 if he stays at WSU through the 5-year deal.

Clearly, Chun was brought here for 1 major purpose - raise as much $$$ as possible. He's proven to be a good fundraiser in the past.

Last edited:
Salary = $650k per year

1 major incentive in his contract is, not surprisingly, tied to fundraising.

Clearly, Chun was brought here for 1 major purpose - raise as much $$$ as possible. He's proven to be a good fundraiser in the past.

Our football staff needs a major contractual incentive to beat UW.

Maybe start with at least covering the spread?

Salary = $650k per year

1 major incentive in his contract is, not surprisingly, tied to fundraising.

He leaves a job paying $235,000 and we pay him $650,000. Plus incentives for doing his job. And you can't chalk it up to cost of living in Florida vs Pullman.

I am all for not "cheaping out", ala certain previous coaches, but this is on its face a pretty poor business decision, particularly in this time of major deficits. This is more than Moos made, with his resume. Fine if we give Chun a big fat raise laden with major incentives for fundraising. Tripling his salary just to show up? BS. Pretty much validates Shultz's reputation for bloating management salaries at the expense of everyone else.

He leaves a job paying $235,000 and we pay him $650,000. Plus incentives for doing his job. And you can't chalk it up to cost of living in Florida vs Pullman.

I am all for not "cheaping out", ala certain previous coaches, but this is on its face a pretty poor business decision, particularly in this time of major deficits. This is more than Moos made, with his resume. Fine if we give Chun a big fat raise laden with major incentives for fundraising. Tripling his salary just to show up? BS. Pretty much validates Shultz's reputation for bloating management salaries at the expense of everyone else.
Not sure what reputation your talking about. He was a pretty big stickler for budget, from everything I've ever heard. And as I recall, that was a major concern for many on this board. Many were afraid he was going to be TOO hawkish and be some pea counter.

You gotta spend money to make money. I'm a true believer in that. If he is all we want, it's going to cost us. It's basic market. Schultz is up'ing the ante. Chun is now on notice. Get us some money, make it worth your salary, and you'll stick around. But this places some SERIOUS pressure on him to produce. If he doesn't justify his salary? buh bye. I love this. Put your money where your mouth is.

Reactions: Cougzz
What he was making is irrelevant, the question is what is the going rate in a power 5 conference? The Pac-12 ranks last amongst Power-Five conferences in average total compensation ($695,292), with the Atlantic Coast Conference leading the way, averaging a whopping $1.079 million. Big Ten athletic directors have an average salary of $870,536, while the SEC and Big 12 check in at $892,902 and $838,794, respectively.

Just like everything else the price is going up, Moos was making around $550,000 plus incentives when he left. At $650,000 Mr Chun is below average in this conference. If he raise and additional 5 million a year he has more than paid for his own salary. Give the guy a chance, his salary is just a small part of a 30 million athletic budget.

Not sure what reputation your talking about. He was a pretty big stickler for budget, from everything I've ever heard. And as I recall, that was a major concern for many on this board. Many were afraid he was going to be TOO hawkish and be some pea counter.

You gotta spend money to make money. I'm a true believer in that. If he is all we want, it's going to cost us. It's basic market. Schultz is up'ing the ante. Chun is now on notice. Get us some money, make it worth your salary, and you'll stick around. But this places some SERIOUS pressure on him to produce. If he doesn't justify his salary? buh bye. I love this. Put your money where your mouth is.

Oh really. How long is his contract? Day to day? (I'm looking) Maybe Scott knows - I couldn't even find his salary.......

And as far as Shulz's reputation for bloated administration? Read on:
https://dailyevergreen.com/23932/news/schulzs-buried-budget-legacy/

Here's a snippet: "KSU’s administrative hires grew 50 percent between 2008 and 2012 — Schulz’s first four years at KSU"

This is what Loyal is referring to regarding ChickenSchulz:

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/dec/15/petition-for-salary-cuts-delivered-to-wsu-presiden/

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/dec/08/retention-counselors-grad-stipends-spared-in-wsu-b/

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/dec/03/shawn-vestal-wsus-budget-crunch-likely-to-hurt-stu/

Yes. Pay him market rate. Expect results. If he doesn't cut it, move on.

We can't get into a cycle of "we suck because we don't pay enough." Chun is being paid market. He was brought in to do a job: raise money.

I also think Ernie Kent needs to go, but that will probably have to wait until end of next season.

Reactions: Cougzz and Coug1990
What he was making is irrelevant, the question is what is the going rate in a power 5 conference? The Pac-12 ranks last amongst Power-Five conferences in average total compensation ($695,292), with the Atlantic Coast Conference leading the way, averaging a whopping $1.079 million. Big Ten athletic directors have an average salary of $870,536, while the SEC and Big 12 check in at $892,902 and $838,794, respectively.

Just like everything else the price is going up, Moos was making around $550,000 plus incentives when he left. At $650,000 Mr Chun is below average in this conference. If he raise and additional 5 million a year he has more than paid for his own salary. Give the guy a chance, his salary is just a small part of a 30 million athletic budget.

He is barely below average, and if you look at the numbers, he is above the median - at least 6 Directors make less than him. And $190,000 MORE than UW's AD. Oh wait - she is a woman so that makes sense!! And I bet if you looked them all up the higher paid ones have more experience.......

http://sportsinfo.pro/AthleticDirector2017.html

$5 says he got a 5 year contract - so he could fail miserably out here and we can;t do a thing about it. Sorry, I think the deal sucks. Incentives yes, Paying it in advance, no.

Some AD salaries:

Scott Barnes (Oregon State): $850k/year, 5-year deal (http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2017/01/scott_barnes_new_oregon_state.html)

Jennifer Cohen (UW): $460k/year with $100k in incentives at the time she was hired (an internal promotion, but ostensibly following a nationwide search) ... maybe got a raise since (http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/college/pac-12/university-of-washington/article79692677.html)

Rob Mullens (Oregon): $717k/year through 2024 with incentives that could make it $12m over 10 years (http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2017/07/oregon_athletic_directors_new.html)

I don't think paying Chun $650k/year is unreasonable by any means, but I'm amazed UW is getting away with paying its AD so little. It looks like Woodward was making $720k/year when he left. (https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/football-coaches-top-list-of-state-salaries/)

I think we probably could have paid Chun a little less--maybe $600k or so--but subject to Cohen's pay seeming pretty low, Chun is getting a market wage. I'd have tried to get him for $600k with a $75k incentive for fundraising, and for all we know, they tried that. What he made at FAU isn't relevant ... it's what his peers are making in similar Power 5 positions, especially those with similar levels of experience and marketability, that's relevant.

Oh really. How long is his contract? Day to day? (I'm looking) Maybe Scott knows - I couldn't even find his salary.......

And as far as Shulz's reputation for bloated administration? Read on:

Here's a snippet: "KSU’s administrative hires grew 50 percent between 2008 and 2012 — Schulz’s first four years at KSU"
No one knows how long his contract is for. So why guess? And even if we know, we certainly don't know any points of termination or ANY other clause.

I am all for making a budget in the black. I think it's a pretty big deal, actually. And I hope Chun helps in that. But you're links are muddy'ing the water. The budget for admin, faculty and staff are completely different books. And honestly, I don't know if the AD is part of the sports books or not. But I've always assumed it was. So bringing up faculty vs admin outside of sports is a completely different debate and completely different budget. I'd wager if schools could bring in an administrator to coordinate a spelling bee that would generate more than their given salary, I'd wager they'd do it. But when the state says, "This is your operating budget. This is your capital improvements budget."... that literally has nothing to do with anything sports related. And if he's cutting faculty salaries while increasing admin budgets, then I'm with you... But that has nothing to do with Chun or sports... at all.

Now, saying all of that. I do recognize how crazy sports budgets have gotten. And many times, I do see and recognize they are on borrowed finances. I don't like that. As I stated, if Chun can't make his salary worthy, buh bye.

EDIT: 5 year contract... :)

Last edited:
Some AD salaries:

Scott Barnes (Oregon State): $850k/year, 5-year deal (http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2017/01/scott_barnes_new_oregon_state.html)

Jennifer Cohen (UW): $460k/year with $100k in incentives at the time she was hired (an internal promotion, but ostensibly following a nationwide search) ... maybe got a raise since (http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/college/pac-12/university-of-washington/article79692677.html)

Rob Mullens (Oregon): $717k/year through 2024 with incentives that could make it $12m over 10 years (http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2017/07/oregon_athletic_directors_new.html)

I don't think paying Chun $650k/year is unreasonable by any means, but I'm amazed UW is getting away with paying its AD so little. It looks like Woodward was making $720k/year when he left. (https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/football-coaches-top-list-of-state-salaries/)

I think we probably could have paid Chun a little less--maybe $600k or so--but subject to Cohen's pay seeming pretty low, Chun is getting a market wage. I'd have tried to get him for $600k with a $75k incentive for fundraising, and for all we know, they tried that. What he made at FAU isn't relevant ... it's what his peers are making in similar Power 5 positions, especially those with similar levels of experience and marketability, that's relevant.

Obviously uw is sexist. Someone should sue.

Haha. I didn't want to be the one to make the joke.

Actually, I already had. Do you people even read my fantastic posts?

Loyal said: He is barely below average, and if you look at the numbers, he is above the median - at least 6 Directors make less than him. And $190,000 MORE than UW's AD. Oh wait - she is a woman so that makes sense!! And I bet if you looked them all up the higher paid ones have more experience.......

Actually, I already had. Do you people even read my fantastic posts?

Loyal said: He is barely below average, and if you look at the numbers, he is above the median - at least 6 Directors make less than him. And $190,000 MORE than UW's AD. Oh wait - she is a woman so that makes sense!! And I bet if you looked them all up the higher paid ones have more experience.......

Oh man, sorry. This "work" stuff is affecting my reading comprehension, and quality of posts, on here at times. :)

Some AD salaries:

This is Cohen's first job as an AD. That is why she is paid less. Chun is an experienced AD and has earned a hgher starting pay.

Reactions: SilverStateCoug
This is Cohen's first job as an AD. That is why she is paid less. Chun is an experienced AD and has earned a hgher starting pay.

And certainly has earned a higher salary than Moos had at WSU, since Moos was only an experienced AD for......20 years.

And certainly has earned a higher salary than Moos had at WSU, since Moos was only an experienced AD for......20 years.

Moos now makes a million dollars a year with a $50000 raise each year at Nebraska. You get paid on what you agree and timing. Later contracts signed usually are more than the ones that came before. Has Chun earned his salary? I think he has.

Moos now makes a million dollars a year with a $50000 raise each year at Nebraska. You get paid on what you agree and timing. Later contracts signed usually are more than the ones that came before. Has Chun earned his salary? I think he has.

So we go from he better earn it or he will be canned to he has already earned it? He was making $235,000. We gave him $650,000. No one else was bidding for his services. You think that is a good financial decision? Ok, works for me. :rolleyes:

So we go from he better earn it or he will be canned to he has already earned it? He was making $235,000. We gave him $650,000. No one else was bidding for his services. You think that is a good financial decision? Ok, works for me. :rolleyes:

It's still within range of your $600,000 Club's parameters...

"We" didn't go from he better to he as already earned what he is getting paid. Some of "you" did. I didn't. He got paid what he was deemed to be worth. That is how contracts work. Just like uw's first time AD gets paid below market (at a P5 program) because she is a first time AD, Chen was getting paid below market (at a lower D1 school) because he was a first time AD.

Chun isn't a first time AD anymore. He was highly successful at FAU. He was going to be in high demand sooner or later. I am glad that WSU didn't go cheap and try to negotiate every last penny. We have seen that play out several times before with awful results. He got paid what experienced AD's get paid at a P5 school.

Reactions: Cougzz
Moos and Leach were likely to get serious consideration by other programs once they came off the sidelines so I agree with paying them enough so they wouldn't start looking around immediately. Ernie, not so much. That contract makes the Ken Bone contract look like a good business decision and I like Ernie.

Chun is an up and comer. He was going to be getting looks from a lot of programs.

No one was bidding for Moos, Leach or Ernie either.

Uh, Nebraska was, apparently.

Anyway, I'm done with this thread (after this last comment of course ;)). We take a guy who has worked at two places in his life, neither of which is within 2,000 miles of Pullman, Wa. We triple his salary, putting him in the upper half of the Pac-12 conference (ahead of 6 others) and give him a 5 year contract. As Shulz stated, it is high on salary (higher then Moos), but lower on incentives.

Relinking article on Shulz' propensity to hire administrators despite budget pressures:

I hope Chun does great things at WSU, he seems like a qualified and good guy. I just think Shulz overpaid, and I would have preferred an incentive-laden contract with a lower base. Nuff said.

No one was bidding for Moos, Leach or Ernie either.

On Moos, Oregon was paying him quite well to not work. And I kinda doubt Leach was going to spend the rest of his days fishing in Florida.

I agree with you on Kent.

Unless I am wrong, I recall that UNLV made an overture to Moos after he left Oregon but he had a stipulation on his termination buyout that he would take no AD job west of the Mississippi and Oregon stopped his UNLV consideration on that basis. He had to come to some sort of agreement with the U of O (Phil Knight) before he could start work in Pullman. Leach was reportedly a "done deal" with Maryland before the school president stepped in and stopped it because of the TT scandal. We're the only ones who wanted Kent. Aren't we the lucky ones?

Reactions: GrayOnGray
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT