ADVERTISEMENT

A couple things about Leach from a Texas Tech fan I met

Flatlandcoug

Hall Of Fame
Aug 14, 2007
Wichita, Kansas
I was at a meeting the other day and I was wearing a collared shirt with a WSU logo The guest presenter (who was sitting at my table) complimented me on my shirt. He went on to tell me that he was a Texas Tech graduate and always kept an eye on WSU and rooted for us now that Leach was with us. We talked about how Texas Tech fans felt about Leach now and he said it was amazing to drive around Lubbock and see all the WSU flags hanging around. We both agreed that if the Cougs ever end up in the Alamo Bowl or Cotton Bowl, there will be a lot of Texas Tech fans in attendance if the schedule allows them to be there.

One thing of interest was that he said that the Tech administration's frustration with Leach didn't have as much to do with his flirtations with other schools as much as it did with the fact that every time that they tried to force him to do something, he would defy them when it didn't suit him. He said that one example was when students had started camping out as early as Thursday to get good seats to games and the administration was getting angry that students were skipping class. They asked him to make a video asking students to wait until after classes on Friday. Leach took pizzas to the students instead. Mike is definitely his own man and marches to the beat of his own drum.

Great story, and in some respects shows you why Leach is at WSU, no bureaucracy, they simply let him run the program the way he wants, he pretty much gets to do what he wants, runs a clean program graduates his students, and contrary to what many try to tell you, he is a players coach. Gardner putting the mustache on CML post game is a prime example, if there isn't mutual respect and admiration both ways this doesn't happen. And it will never happen with coach Meyer, Harbuagh, Saben, Peterson, or any other big time program, just to name a few, heck they wouldn't even allow him to have the press conferences he has with of the wall topics, and most Universities would be calling a board of governors or regents meeting if it did.

We have a special coach, and coaching staff, and they are in a special place, I just hope all fans, coaches, and admin never lose sight of that.

Great story, and in some respects shows you why Leach is at WSU, no bureaucracy, they simply let him run the program the way he wants, he pretty much gets to do what he wants, runs a clean program graduates his students, and contrary to what many try to tell you, he is a players coach. Gardner putting the mustache on CML post game is a prime example, if there isn't mutual respect and admiration both ways this doesn't happen. And it will never happen with coach Meyer, Harbuagh, Saben, Peterson, or any other big time program, just to name a few, heck they wouldn't even allow him to have the press conferences he has with of the wall topics, and most Universities would be calling a board of governors or regents meeting if it did.

We have a special coach, and coaching staff, and they are in a special place, I just hope all fans, coaches, and admin never lose sight of that.

I had the same thought as I watched Minshew put a mustache on Leach. Wondered how Saban would react if one of his players tried that. Or any other of the "big time" coaches. Mike just goes with the flow on occasions like that. Hey, what are you doing? Oh, a mustache. Sure, why not? Then casually carries on with the interview as if a crooked fake mustache was perfectly normal. He has the mental outlook on life of a typical WSU alum. Another school may be able to steal him with a monster contract but CML will never find another place where he fits in as well as WSU.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT