ADVERTISEMENT

A little more on Claeys

If true, you’d think Leach would step in and tell his assistants to get their asses in line and respect the guy he hired, who equates to 2nd in command behind Leach himself. Unless of course Leach agreed with the reason(s) behind their insubordination.

Reactions: wburger
Listening to a little of that .He really is chatty Cathy, pull the string and let him roll.

Really a little funny how he is now such a rushing game analyst. I get the angst about not running Borghi enough etc. But think that it is funny how there is a big discussion about the rushing attack, and not one mention of how this should be a 2 headed monster again this year both Borghi and Williams.

That is the most obvious factor from outside looking in and hard to see how anyone can discuss the topic without mentioning it.

Yeah.... I don't think Leach is gonna be hiring Halladay as a grad assistant any time soon. This is the exact reason why you hire a DC and let him hire his defensive coaches.

Reactions: wburger and metprof
Connor Halliday needs to go back to dreaming about his white BMW and spend less time gossiping. Glad he's on a podcast though, it reminds me what a breath of fresh air Luke Falk was when he took the helm.

Halliday is an "I" doctor. I this and I that and when I was playing, I, I, I !

He is doing whatever he can to remain relevant within WSU football while he peddles workout equipment. Articles on Coufantifa.com and Podcasts with these two knucklehads gives him the forum to lob bombs from the back row of relevance.

agreed, im sure coaches and players don't appreciate the housewife gossip stuff from halliday

If true, you’d think Leach would step in and tell his assistants to get their asses in line and respect the guy he hired, who equates to 2nd in command behind Leach himself. Unless of course Leach agreed with the reason(s) behind their insubordination.

Given that McBath was promoted after Claeys departure, I think we can guess what side Leach was on.

Halliday isn't going to make this up. He's not stupid. Obviously Claeys was putting in stuff that wasn't working.

Speed D worked. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Given that McBath was promoted after Claeys departure, I think we can guess what side Leach was on.

Halliday might be reporting what he's heard, but whoever is telling him this stuff is full of crap. And spreading drama was something Halliday was known for when he was on the team. How soon we forget how the stories of turmoil in the roster quieted down the second he graduated. Or how he quit the NFL because he didn't get drafted?

We know Connor isn't getting his information first hand. Claeys, Wilson, and McBath aren't running to him to give him the real scoop. He's probably hearing office gossip from a low level staffer a few steps removed from the people involved and I'm sure the story has changed more than a few steps away from the truth.

If the tension had been boiling over consistently since spring ball, with coaches stopping practice to tell at each other, it's surprising no one in the press who was at those public practices picked up on it. If Claeys was being publicly undermined by an insubordinate coach, wouldn't Leach (Be a Team!) put a stop to it. Newsflash: coaches have disputes from time to time. Emotions run hot. I doubt the environment was more heated and tense than the coaches room on most struggling teams.

I'll close by telling everyone how Halliday said Leach would blow a gasket if we lost to ASU and would probably lose the team because he's a poor motivator. Just consider the source.

Halliday isn't going to make this up. He's not stupid. Obviously Claeys was putting in stuff that wasn't working.

Speed D worked. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

There is a difference between making stuff up and gossiping. Do I believe Connor is giving us what he's heard? Yes. Do I believe this is the truth? No.

Reactions: Ffffws
But gives credence why some DC shy away from Leach because he hires the staff. Coaches want to be on a staff that they are rowing in the same direction.

Halliday is an "I" doctor. I this and I that and when I was playing, I, I, I !

He is doing whatever he can to remain relevant within WSU football while he peddles workout equipment. Articles on Coufantifa.com and Podcasts with these two knucklehads gives him the forum to lob bombs from the back row of relevance.
"I" take it as he's unwilling to speak for anyone else. There may be a little integrity in that notion.

But gives credence why some DC shy away from Leach because he hires the staff. Coaches want to be on a staff that they are rowing in the same direction.

Let's make sure we're clear about this before suggesting Leach does anything unusual in this regard or doesn't allow DCs to hire or have input in hiring. I don't think there's any evidence to suggest Leach wouldn't allow a DC to bring / hire his own guys, if he had them and if the whole defensive staff was cleaned out. Grinch didn't have a staff to bring, and evidence suggests he was OK, at minimum, with Manning's hire (he's currently on his staff). We'd have to dig through the rest of the defensive staff to look through when they were hired and to try to speculate which DC had any input / thoughts on it.

With Claeys, I don't think we know enough about what he was or wasn't allowed to do, per se. He pretty clearly was OK with Phelps. Hard to see us canning Wilson just because Claeys didn't like him on first blush. So really, we're talking about whether he even had input into, or would be allowed to make changes to, some of the secondary coaches, and we'll have to look at the timing of when they were hired vis-a-vis him. If he joined after they were already on board, he knew the deal.

Will be interesting to see if Leach allows his DC to hire his own staff. Leach usually likes to conduct interviews for his DC at the coaches convention right around the National Championship game in January. I'd like to see him putting out feelers now and early November and then make a splashy hire between apple cup and our Bowl game. Then allow the DC to make hires.

Halliday might be reporting what he's heard, but whoever is telling him this stuff is full of crap. And spreading drama was something Halliday was known for when he was on the team. How soon we forget how the stories of turmoil in the roster quieted down the second he graduated. Or how he quit the NFL because he didn't get drafted?

We know Connor isn't getting his information first hand. Claeys, Wilson, and McBath aren't running to him to give him the real scoop. He's probably hearing office gossip from a low level staffer a few steps removed from the people involved and I'm sure the story has changed more than a few steps away from the truth.

If the tension had been boiling over consistently since spring ball, with coaches stopping practice to tell at each other, it's surprising no one in the press who was at those public practices picked up on it. If Claeys was being publicly undermined by an insubordinate coach, wouldn't Leach (Be a Team!) put a stop to it. Newsflash: coaches have disputes from time to time. Emotions run hot. I doubt the environment was more heated and tense than the coaches room on most struggling teams.

I'll close by telling everyone how Halliday said Leach would blow a gasket if we lost to ASU and would probably lose the team because he's a poor motivator. Just consider the source.

Well, whatever it was, it was bad enough for Claeys to bail. He's been long around enough that I assume it wasn't just standard locker room stuff.

Will be interesting to see if Leach allows his DC to hire his own staff. Leach usually likes to conduct interviews for his DC at the coaches convention right around the National Championship game in January. I'd like to see him putting out feelers now and early November and then make a splashy hire between apple cup and our Bowl game. Then allow the DC to make hires.

If a new DC will be bringing in his own staff, I would think Leach wouldn't bring on a new DC before the early signing period (Dec 18). If chatter gets out that some of the defensive coaches might be out of a job due to the new DC bringing in his own people we could lose some of our verbals on D.

Just my .02

Reactions: cougcowboy
On the flip side no one leaves 2 million on the table. For whatever the reason the situation was not livable any longer for Claeys. Does Connor have all the information? Maybe, maybe not. But it is pretty clear that per his voice he said there were clear differences how to fix it. Claeys seem to make good adjustments at halftime, and when the talent went bye bye he and his defense looked for a lack of a better term-horrible.

By leaving he does leave his reputation somewhat intact. He can go back to the conference he is familiar with and do well.

If a new DC will be bringing in his own staff, I would think Leach wouldn't bring on a new DC before the early signing period (Dec 18). If chatter gets out that some of the defensive coaches might be out of a job due to the new DC bringing in his own people we could lose some of our verbals on D.

Just my .02

The new DC won't be hiring a new staff. And my guess is the new DC is already on the staff.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
By leaving he does leave his reputation somewhat intact. He can go back to the conference he is familiar with and do well.
Resigning mid-season will only hurt his reputation. I was excited when we hired him but I don't remember hearing he was getting a lot of interest from the Big 10/11 or anywhere when we hired him. The way things unfolded at Minnesota obviously impacted things. Now he's bolted from a job 5 games into his second season. That's not the best optics for picking up another job.

On the flip side no one leaves 2 million on the table. For whatever the reason the situation was not livable any longer for Claeys. Does Connor have all the information? Maybe, maybe not. But it is pretty clear that per his voice he said there were clear differences how to fix it. Claeys seem to make good adjustments at halftime, and when the talent went bye bye he and his defense looked for a lack of a better term-horrible.

Maybe he was just ready to hang it up. He may still be drawing a paycheck from Minnesota. A DC that doesn't have any position coach responsibilities and has little to no recruiting responsibilities isn't going to have a line of people begging for his services.

The new DC, likely, will be someone who can run speed D and more importantly can recruit.

We are not in the position to just axe all our defensive assistants to make it so the new DC can bring in his own guys. Those assistants have the relationships built with the student athletes we want to sign on the dotted line to play for WSU. Losing as many defensive coaches as we have the last few years is one of the reasons our defensive talent is not as good as we would like. When we lose an offensive assistant, at least we still have Leach to hold the offensive recruiting talent together. So we are able to "reload" on offense. Our defense does not have the same identity as the office.

Reactions: Cougzz
McBath sounds like an unprofessional ass (questioning Claeys in practice, esp if in front of players), but I can't quite buy that a guy who has been a leader of rowdy frat jocks wilted under the heat of McBath's criticism. Would venture that he felt heat from Leach, or enough other coaches, to see he had worn out his welcome with key figures.

OTOH, after hearing about the Claeys-Wilson feud, just like the girl who thinks the last 10 photos of her had "bad lighting" or "bad angles", at some point it's not the lighting or the angles.

Claeys will not have any problems in finding a new gig. He has a solid reputation as a DC. leach made his choice and we will see how it pans out . Leach is a stubborn man and Saying that, yes Halliday is an ass and a quitter. Why the little nerds on the other board hired him says a lot about them.

Bellantoni was not a good DC at FAU. I'd be shocked as hell if anyone on the defensive side of the ball became the DC. If Leach really want to stay near the top of the conference this hire is extremely important. I'll say it again and again...Leach is only as good as his defense. His teams will always move the ball, score points and distribute the ball to each position......however, if the defense isn't good we will be clawing for 6 to 7 wins every year. I'd keep Phelps as a DL coach, move Brock (has become one our better recruiters) over to special teams only and possibly keep Mcbath as a Outside backers coach or something since he can recruit fairly well. No good DC is going to want the job if they can't bring in at least 2 or 3 assistants with them. Also when it comes to keeping offensive assistants vs. defensive assistants you have to look more at recruiting.....Mele, Spurrier have been our best recruiters the last couple years. Mason Miller has done a great job as the OL coach and has recruited decently for not having many Northern California connections. Nichol can't recruit worth crap. He brings in one recruit per cycle if lucky. Yes we might lose a couple recruits if we can 3 or 4 assistants, but the new coaches have connections and can bring in even better recruits hopefully.

Reactions: Cougzz
Claeys will not have any problems in finding a new gig. He has a solid reputation as a DC. leach made his choice and we will see how it pans out . Leach is a stubborn man and Saying that, yes Halliday is an ass and a quitter. Why the little nerds on the other board hired him says a lot about them.

Lots of guys can call a game. A lot of them can recruit and coach a position too.

Maybe he was just ready to hang it up. He may still be drawing a paycheck from Minnesota. A DC that doesn't have any position coach responsibilities and has little to no recruiting responsibilities isn't going to have a line of people begging for his services.
Well per his own word he is looking forward to coaching again, so I would think that would dispel the notion he just doesn't want to get paid 2 million for coaching. Again, the environment (for him) must have been bad if you leave 2 mil on the table.

Resigning mid-season will only hurt his reputation. I was excited when we hired him but I don't remember hearing he was getting a lot of interest from the Big 10/11 or anywhere when we hired him. The way things unfolded at Minnesota obviously impacted things. Now he's bolted from a job 5 games into his second season. That's not the best optics for picking up another job.

Under normal circumstances I would agree with you. But go back to the Big 10 and mention Mike Leach and probably 3/4's of the coaches would say that isn't a good mix for a coach like Claeys. Going for a 4th and 2 at their own 38 and other decisions that could put the defensive in a precarious position.

Not saying Leach is wrong or bad, he just has a reputation of being an offensive guy. Some coaches would say Claeys made the right decision if presented with his side, whether it is accurate or not.

Not a knock on Leach. It is akin to saying an offensive coordinator coaching for Kyle Whittingham gets a little more understanding because of how they recruit, what is important to him, how he coaches, and the vibe he gives.

Well maybe Bellantoni wil learn to put a spy ona mobil QB at the end of the game. If they were playing flag football he still would have scored.

Family resemblance here. After one game are you going to proclaim that Bellantoni won’t get it done here?

It would have been nice for Chris Ball to do a lot of things that he never did in four years. But I digress.

Well per his own word he is looking forward to coaching again, so I would think that would dispel the notion he just doesn't want to get paid 2 million for coaching. Again, the environment (for him) must have been bad if you leave 2 mil on the table.

You're the one saying that people don't walk away from $2 million. I offered a plausible reason.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT