ADVERTISEMENT

A little more on Claeys

Under normal circumstances I would agree with you. But go back to the Big 10 and mention Mike Leach and probably 3/4's of the coaches would say that isn't a good mix for a coach like Claeys. Going for a 4th and 2 at their own 38 and other decisions that could put the defensive in a precarious position.

Not saying Leach is wrong or bad, he just has a reputation of being an offensive guy. Some coaches would say Claeys made the right decision if presented with his side, whether it is accurate or not.

Not a knock on Leach. It is akin to saying an offensive coordinator coaching for Kyle Whittingham gets a little more understanding because of how they recruit, what is important to him, how he coaches, and the vibe he gives.
Understanding the situation is one thing but that won't explain walking away in the middle of a season when the defense your leading is reeling. I hope he lands on his feet.

Understanding the situation is one thing but that won't explain walking away in the middle of a season when the defense your leading is reeling. I hope he lands

I think he can absolutely sell it and I don’t think he is a good sales person. “I walked away because the staff I had was hired by an offensive minded head coach. The staff including a guy who was a quality control person for N Texas in 2016, same position in 2017 for WSU , and the first time he was on field coaching a position was 2018 and he was questioning what I was doing in front of the players ( or in the coaching office) . It became so untenable “I” left two million dollars on the table, that is how bad it became.

McBath sounds like an unprofessional ass (questioning Claeys in practice, esp if in front of players), but I can't quite buy that a guy who has been a leader of rowdy frat jocks wilted under the heat of McBath's criticism. Would venture that he felt heat from Leach, or enough other coaches, to see he had worn out his welcome with key figures.

OTOH, after hearing about the Claeys-Wilson feud, just like the girl who thinks the last 10 photos of her had "bad lighting" or "bad angles", at some point it's not the lighting or the angles.
I doubt it happened, Halliday is embellishing 3rd hand bull#hit.

Lame attempt to get attention, create controversy.

Nusser still cant forgive leach for not voting for Hillary.

Claeys will not have any problems in finding a new gig. He has a solid reputation as a DC. leach made his choice and we will see how it pans out . Leach is a stubborn man and Saying that, yes Halliday is an ass and a quitter. Why the little nerds on the other board hired him says a lot about them.
The only players that talk to them are former cpw guys.

seriously man, what other comment mentions politics ?

seriously man, the writer mentioned has an ax to grind with Leach and according to him-much of it has to do with "politics"
Oh I'd say you work in a political comment fairly frequently. Can't remember what thread it was but there was some comment about a "liberal jagoff". If that's your thing, fine, but I think most people that read these threads enjoy not seeing politics dragged into their football.

you cant recall ? sounds like youre getting triggered rather easily.

its not like I linked *ussers comments about burning his copy of Swing Your Sword because Leach said something positive about the president.

Last edited:

its not like I linked *ussers comments about burning his copy of Swing Your Sword because Leach said something positive about the president.
No, just want to read about football, not some political bullshit that doesn’t belong here by conservative jagoffs. See what I did there?

My opinion is the writer in question has an ax to grind with Leach over his support for Trump, and that's based on his own comments saying as much.

If you don't like it don't read my posts or put me on ignore putz.

FWIW, Dave Emerick said Darcel and Claeys were still texting and it's unfortunate there are false narratives out there.

Connor Halliday can go back to dreaming about driving his white BMW and stop spreading gossip.

I doubt it happened, Halliday is embellishing 3rd hand bull#hit.

Lame attempt to get attention, create controversy.

Nusser still cant forgive leach for not voting for Hillary.

Halliday wasn't on the Cougcenter podcast.

FWIW, Dave Emerick said Darcel and Claeys were still texting and it's unfortunate there are false narratives out there.

Connor Halliday can go back to dreaming about driving his white BMW and stop spreading gossip.
I'm surprised Theo/Spokesman would put Halliday's comments in print. He was a player and has every right to express his opinions on the situation and offer "insight" around what he's hearing. However he's talking almost as if he was in the room and was a witness to what was going on inside the program. End of the day most of his thoughts were simply his view on things.

Leach on Halliday:

Reactions: cougarhawk1

We are never really going to know what went down other than Claeys decided to move on. I don't think the "shock" when he resigned expressed was an act but again who knows?

Chaz tweet:

Last edited:
This hardly the first time a coordinator leaves or is fired mid-season. But the Cougar reporters are covering it like it is monumental.

Mike Stoops either resigned or was fired (depending on who you believe) mid-season last year and OU was 5-1 at the time.

Les Miles is now on his 3rd Offensive Coordinator and he has not even been at Kansas a full season.

I'm surprised Theo/Spokesman would put Halliday's comments in print. He was a player and has every right to express his opinions on the situation and offer "insight" around what he's hearing. However he's talking almost as if he was in the room and was a witness to what was going on inside the program. End of the day most of his thoughts were simply his view on things.

Leach on Halliday:

Well they did recently change the whistleblower laws to allowing 2nd hand info to be gospel.

This hardly the first time a coordinator leaves or is fired mid-season. But the Cougar reporters are covering it like it is monumental.

Mike Stoops either resigned or was fired (depending on who you believe) mid-season last year and OU was 5-1 at the time.

Les Miles is now on his 3rd Offensive Coordinator and he has not even been at Kansas a full season.

It is out of the ordinary behavior, that is why it is covered. When it comes to stuff like this I have found in my world the truth is somewhere in between.

It wouldn't surprise me if Leach never saw it because he is working with the QB's and the offensive unit. (again that is assuming their was philosophical problems on the field. I am not even sure the players would see it unless there was a shouting match as coaches often stand around and confer.

At the end of the day it turned out to be a bad fit. A DC that is use to more conservative football from a conservative conference.

Kids are resilient and I am sure they aren't shaken because TC left. They are just going to go out and perform to the best of their abilities.

Trust me, even if you and others see this as a huge negative, and the papers and sources don't sweep it under the carpet, it does not do anything to WSU football long term. It doesn't make Leach look bad, it was just one of those cases coaches are on a different page.

Can you imagine how Connor is feeling about this? Lead sports story in The Seattle Times and The Spokesman Review. All over the internet. You gotta think he feels bad for saying something. Sounds like it was a rumor and not true. Who knows....but I'm sure Connor feels awful for starting something that almost everyone is discussing.

The story just blew up.

Last edited:
Can you imagine how Connor is feeling about this? Lead sports story in The Seattle Times and The Spokesman Review. All over the internet. You gotta think he feels bad for saying something. Sounds like it was a rumor and not true. Who knows....but I'm sure Connor feels awful for starting something that almost everyone is discussing.

The story just blew up.[/

The story just blew up.

Not sure Connor had it entirely wrong. Clearly there was friction , enough so the coach leaves two mil on the table. How much friction would it take for you to leave that kind of dough on the table?

Because Leach appears to be pretty hands off, and the defensive staff does not coordinate with the offensive staff, that only leaves about four people who Claeys could have disagreements with that would leave him to drop two mil and more importantly start his career over . Roc, Phelps , Shaver, Marcel and a couple other coaches .

Last edited:
I think there are parts that are true. It is clear from TC's statement they were not on the same page. All CH did was put a name to the disagreement. If we are to assume Leach is pretty hands off with regards to the defense, who is TC speaking about t

Not sure Connor had it entirely wrong. Clearly there was friction , enough so the coach leaves two mil on the table. How much friction would it take for you to leave that kind of dough on the table?

Because Leach appears to be pretty hands off, and the defensive staff does not coordinate with the offensive staff, that only leaves about four people who Claeys could have disagreements with that would leave him to drop two mil and more importantly start his career over . Roc, Phelps , Shaver, Marcel and a couple other coaches .
Good point. I've thought about that too. It also could be the lack of recruiting the right guys on Defense at this level, that's caused Claeys to resign. We probably will never know, and you're right.....most likely it's a combination of everything.

Reactions: Cougzz

The story just blew up.

Do you really think he feels bad. Dude tossed Kerosene on the fire, stood back and watched it burn. How do I think Beavis feels about this? He has always been self centered. I am of the mindset he is thinking "bad press is still press"

KVIJYZEMUOEATOV.20130814190012.jpg

p-beavis-and-butt-head-beavis.jpg

Reactions: Pinkcadillac
Clearly there was friction , enough so the coach leaves two mil on the table. How much friction would it take for you to leave that kind of dough on the table?
If that's the case Claeys wouldn't even last one Paul Wulff thread here.

Do you really think he feels bad. Dude tossed Kerosene on the fire, stood back and watched it burn. How do I think Beavis feels about this? He has always been self centered. I am of the mindset he is thinking "bad press is still press"

Who was his HS coach.

Triggered is pissing and moaning about Nusser everytime you comment.

Nussers horrible but if you enjoy his scribbling
Have at it

No triggered is what happens to snowflakes

Its why we have safe spaces

Trumpers are literally the biggest snowflakes walking around. Constantly crying about news they don't like because they are gullible enough to vote for a failed businessman who has more bankruptcies than Paul Wulff has conference wins.

I doubt he feels bad about his comments, now he gets to go on the podcast next week and tell his side of the story. It's been a great attention grabber for him. Probably doesn't matter to him he trashed the reputation of Darcel McBath at an insubordinate coach.

The response from the hosts as Connor was napalming this was one of shock. You can see how this has divided up the fan base. We don't know what happened with Tracy, only that it was strange circumstances. But now we will have the fan base taking sides in an irrelevant conflict.

Emrick said it best when he said Connor isn't as connected as he likes to think he is. Are defensive staffers who weren't here when he was going to run to a known head case with dirty laundry? Probably not. So why are we taking anything he says about the inner workings of the team as newsworthy?

I doubt he feels bad about his comments, now he gets to go on the podcast next week and tell his side of the story. It's been a great attention grabber for him. Probably doesn't matter to him he trashed the reputation of Darcel McBath at an insubordinate coach.

The response from the hosts as Connor was napalming this was one of shock. You can see how this has divided up the fan base. We don't know what happened with Tracy, only that it was strange circumstances. But now we will have the fan base taking sides in an irrelevant conflict.

Emrick said it best when he said Connor isn't as connected as he likes to think he is. Are defensive staffers who weren't here when he was going to run to a known head case with dirty laundry? Probably not. So why are we taking anything he says about the inner workings of the team as newsworthy?
Because the spokesman ran with it.

Because the spokesman ran with it.

I think Cultcenter and Clickbait hit this one quickly. Plus they had more inflammatory headlines.

Clickbait: Yowsers. Halliday says Claeys and McBath had toxic relationship which led to resignation.
Cultcenter: Halliday revealed on (podcast) power struggle lead to Claeys resignation.
Theo: tweeted out a bunch of Halliday quotes.

I took Theo's work as reporting on what was being said without throwing his opinion into the mix and giving a hot take (which the other blogs did.

Scott handled the situation best by simply retweeting Theo.

I think Cultcenter and Clickbait hit this one quickly. Plus they had more inflammatory headlines.

Clickbait: Yowsers. Halliday says Claeys and McBath had toxic relationship which led to resignation.
Cultcenter: Halliday revealed on (podcast) power struggle lead to Claeys resignation.
Theo: tweeted out a bunch of Halliday quotes.

I took Theo's work as reporting on what was being said without throwing his opinion into the mix and giving a hot take (which the other blogs did.

Scott handled the situation best by simply retweeting Theo.

True journalism is DEAD in this country.

Reactions: mikalalas
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT