ADVERTISEMENT

A lot of how the leghumpers play depends...

79COUG

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Nov 19, 2008
on the outcome of the Civil War.
Beavs win, mutts have to beat us to play in the conference championship. Ducks win, no championship game.
Only time I'm rooting for the Ducks is today... just so the mutts have no chance.

Beavs win, mutts have to beat us to play in the conference championship. Ducks win, no championship game.
Only time I'm rooting for the Ducks is today... just so the mutts have no chance.

Exactly

I rooted for them against UW too. Hopefully they can get one of the two.

Although if I had a crystal ball and knew we were beating UW would prefer the Beavs win so it’s more painful for them.

Go Beavs!
We need to nut up and be the dawgs spoiler. Pac 12 refs are already helping the ducks

Saw that. An all-time HORRIBLE spot on 3rd down that holds up on review? Is Tim Donaghy on the review team?
I agree that it was a crappy spot, and don’t understand how it was held up under review. However, I do think the real spot was still short.

My two cents are 1) It was a waste to go for the challenge, as it wouldn’t have resulted in the first down anyway, and 2) there was nothing to lose for the officials to spot it just short of the first down, but beyond where they initially spotted it.

I agree that it was a crappy spot, and don’t understand how it was held up under review. However, I do think the real spot was still short.

My two cents are 1) It was a waste to go for the challenge, as it wouldn’t have resulted in the first down anyway, and 2) there was nothing to lose for the officials to spot it just short of the first down, but beyond where they initially spotted it.

Just pick it up on 4th and no one remembers

Reactions: Suudy
I don’t think the OSU - Oregon game will have anything to do with how they play. It’s the Apple Cup and they will be ready to play especially with what happened on their field at the end of the game last year.

Reactions: COUGinNCW
SMFH. So many of these lately, too stupid to learn from others mistakes. This is the new dropping the ball before the goal line routine…

Reactions: LeachPack
In spite of the P-12 championship implications, I couldn’t force myself to root for the ducks. It’s just not in me.

Couldn’t disagree more; think he was at least 1/4 yard past and probably 1/2 yard. Wasn’t even ambiguous. Other person who said “pick it up and nobody remembers” should also support only having 3 downs all game while the other team always has 4: why not just win with the odds stacked against one team? Easy-peasy

Reactions: HCoug
Couldn’t disagree more; think he was at least 1/4 yard past and probably 1/2 yard. Wasn’t even ambiguous. Other person who said “pick it up and nobody remembers” should also support only having 3 downs all game while the other team always has 4: why not just win with the odds stacked against one team? Easy-peasy
I don’t think so. His knee hit early, before he leaned over.

But why are we arguing about another game for teams we already played and the bad guys lost?

I don’t think so. His knee hit early, before he leaned over.

But why are we arguing about another game for teams we already played and the bad guys lost?
Because someone made a thread about it?

At this point I don't aim to change your mind if what was to me obvious video evidence will not, but your POV is certainly a rare one outside of Eugene: even the booth, at their own peril, thought it was a clear first down, and were mystified at the call being confirmed.

We agree it has little bearing on the rest of the season, but "don't leave it up to the judges" / "turned out OK anyway" remains inadequate.

Because someone made a thread about it?

At this point I don't aim to change your mind if what was to me obvious video evidence will not, but your POV is certainly a rare one outside of Eugene: even the booth, at their own peril, thought it was a clear first down, and were mystified at the call being confirmed.

We agree it has little bearing on the rest of the season, but "don't leave it up to the judges" / "turned out OK anyway" remains inadequate.
If by “booth” you mean the announcers, then, that is hardly support. In fact, that is indictment against that point of view. They usually are the biggest morons when it comes to rules.

I will give you an example from a game earlier this season it was ESPN and there was a receiver, stood up, pushed backwards, and then out of bounds. The announcer – – I can’t remember her name – – was confused by why the clock didn’t stop and how the team had to take a time out to stop the clock. She ranted and raved about how that was a huge mistake and how could they make such a boneheaded mistake. The color guy with her said he wasn’t sure if that’s progress stopped in or out of bounds. Her response was “I don’t think that matter. He went out of bounds.”

I even posted at the idiocy of Gilmore on another thread.

In my opinion his knee was down prior to the ball crossing the line to gain. I cannot find a video of the play. If you can find one I’m happy to take a hook. Not a picture but a video.

If by “booth” you mean the announcers, then, that is hardly support. In fact, that is indictment against that point of view. They usually are the biggest morons when it comes to rules.

I will give you an example from a game earlier this season it was ESPN and there was a receiver, stood up, pushed backwards, and then out of bounds. The announcer – – I can’t remember her name – – was confused by why the clock didn’t stop and how the team had to take a time out to stop the clock. She ranted and raved about how that was a huge mistake and how could they make such a boneheaded mistake. The color guy with her said he wasn’t sure if that’s progress stopped in or out of bounds. Her response was “I don’t think that matter. He went out of bounds.”

I even posted at the idiocy of Gilmore on another thread.

In my opinion his knee was down prior to the ball crossing the line to gain. I cannot find a video of the play. If you can find one I’m happy to take a hook. Not a picture but a video.
When you get to the big nets (CBS, ABC), those guys are so well-trained to toe the company line it's embarrassing. They'll say the call on the field was "obviously" correct, then the call on the field is reversed, and suddenly the reverse is "obviously" correct. Embarrassing level of loyalty, but that's why it's so significant to hear them deviate from the company line.

Actually saw it happen in UGA/GT on CBS and later in the Civil War game. "Those guys are idiots" just doesn't carry any weight with me when you don't even know who the particular broadcasters were. And at any rate, you have to acknowledge it's unusual to break from the company line, even if you think the meaning stops there.

“Those guys are idiots" just doesn't carry any weight with me when you don't even know who the particular broadcasters were..
Oh, I know Gilmore was on the Civil War game. And this is not the first time he is clueless I could probably do a montage of footage of him being an idiot if I had the gumption to do so. So yeah “those guys are an idiot. “was totally true for the Civil War game.

But he’s not the only one.

Now if I wanted to speak to the quality guys, it would be guys like Herbstreit Fowlser, and Huard. Gilmore, Blackledge, Callabero (still doing games?), Fouts, Theisman, et Al, are garbage. What’s the difference? The former wonders, the latter claim knowledge and certainty. Don’t pretend special knowledge you don’t gave, and they don’t know squat about the rules. At leas Fowler, et al, don’t have that attitude. Go with what you know—formations, routes, reads, etc, and steer clear of special knowledge.

Which is why I think adding Pierera and other officials was a good move. And we didn’t see Pierera or any other official speak on that one. And unlike those broadcasters, I’ve actually officiated football for nearly 20 years. Which I think gives me more credibility than them.

So, we can argue about what carries weight, but I don’t think knowing names is particularly relevant here.

Reactions: 79COUG
Oh, I know Gilmore was on the Civil War game. And this is not the first time he is clueless I could probably do a montage of footage of him being an idiot if I had the gumption to do so. So yeah “those guys are an idiot. “was totally true for the Civil War game.

But he’s not the only one.

Now if I wanted to speak to the quality guys, it would be guys like Herbstreit Fowlser, and Huard. Gilmore, Blackledge, Callabero (still doing games?), Fouts, Theisman, et Al, are garbage. What’s the difference? The former wonders, the latter claim knowledge and certainty. Don’t pretend special knowledge you don’t gave, and they don’t know squat about the rules. At leas Fowler, et al, don’t have that attitude. Go with what you know—formations, routes, reads, etc, and steer clear of special knowledge.

Which is why I think adding Pierera and other officials was a good move. And we didn’t see Pierera or any other official speak on that one. And unlike those broadcasters, I’ve actually officiated football for nearly 20 years. Which I think gives me more credibility than them.

So, we can argue about what carries weight, but I don’t think knowing names is particularly relevant here.
It's not that, it's generically saying "broadcasters are idiots" therefore whatever they say is categorically false. Lots of smart observers - including on this board - saw the same thing I did.

It's not that, it's generically saying "broadcasters are idiots" therefore whatever they say is categorically false. Lots of smart observers - including on this board - saw the same thing I did.
My statement about “broadcasters are idiots” was clearly in the context of officiating. Don’t read more into it than that.

And which of those observers—including broadcasters— have experience as an official? Steven Hawking was obviously a bright dude, but that doesn’t mean he could make the right call. Gilmore, Herbstreit, Huard, et al are probably smart dudes with respect to football play calling, reads, formations, etc, but that doesn’t mean they know squat about officiating. Indeed, they often prove the point when they try to opine on officiating related event.

I’m telling you as someone with almost 20 years experience as a football official that I think he was short, but not as short as they spotted it.

My statement about “broadcasters are idiots” was clearly in the context of officiating. Don’t read more into it than that.

And which of those observers—including broadcasters— have experience as an official? Steven Hawking was obviously a bright dude, but that doesn’t mean he could make the right call. Gilmore, Herbstreit, Huard, et al are probably smart dudes with respect to football play calling, reads, formations, etc, but that doesn’t mean they know squat about officiating. Indeed, they often prove the point when they try to opine on officiating related event.

I’m telling you as someone with almost 20 years experience as a football official that I think he was short, but not as short as they spotted it.
Disagree again but this is turning into a mutually fruitless conversation. Now, back to football...

Disagree again but this is turning into a mutually fruitless conversation. Now, back to football...

Call_It_A_Draw_Template_3.png

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT