ADVERTISEMENT

After getting benched, will Brett Rypien transfer?

Straight up pocket passer, little mobility, tends to panic under pressure.
I'm actually pretty relieved he's starting. The other kid has pretty good scrambling ability.

Difficult to say how he would have fared at WSU. It seemed like he had his heart set on starting his freshman year and had he come to Pullman, he would be have redshirt by now and had to wait an additional behind Falk. As upset as a lot of people were when Rypien chose BSU over WSU, we may be better off.

Reactions: Flatlandcoug
Difficult to say how he would have fared at WSU. It seemed like he had his heart set on starting his freshman year and had he come to Pullman, he would be have redshirt by now and had to wait an additional behind Falk. As upset as a lot of people were when Rypien chose BSU over WSU, we may be better off.

Falk hadn't taken a snap yet when Rypien committed.

Rypien was under heavy pressure last week. There isn't a pocket passer alive who's performance doesn't suffer when he's getting battered in the pocket.

Troy was expected to be good on the defensive line, and it looks like they are. I hope we can generate similar pressure. If we do, we'll win going away. The backup QB can scramble, but if he were a good passer, he never would have left Kansas. I think we'll handle him too.

BSU has three new starters on the O line, and it really showed against Troy. BSU has to try to run; if our pass rush is any better than Troy, little Ryp will have a lot of hurries. Lost in the above commentary was any note of the WR disappointments for BSU. Little Ryp didn't have much WR separation help to give him a target.

Shut down the run. Pick up your receiver coverage assignments. Rush the passer. Always easier said than done, but do that and we win.

But is it still fair to say Falk would be ahead of Rypien on the depth chart? Difficult to say, I suppose.

Yes, I think that's probably safe to say. Was just pointing out, I don't think Falk really factored into Rypien's decision as much as people assume, or want to think.

Yes, I think that's probably safe to say. Was just pointing out, I don't think Falk really factored into Rypien's decision as much as people assume, or want to think.

I agree. WSU has suffered from a lack of respect. Before Leach, players did not want to come to Pullman. Even in the first few years under Leach, players did not want to come to Pullman. Rypien wanted to go to a school that he thought was better.

Reactions: M-I-Coug
Agreed. At the time, Boise had a much better program. Rypien grew up going to so many games in Pullman, but with options, he chose Boise, who at that time, had some momentum and stellar history.

Today, Washington State is feared upon, and clearly going to be their toughest opponent and test of the season, (in addition to maybe Colorado State/BYU).

BSU is not nearly as good as last year, and they may never reach the level that Chris Peterson achieved. In fact, I'll be shocked if they ever get close to being a top 10 team over the next 10 years.

Brett's a pocket passer. Glad he's at Boise State.

I agree. WSU has suffered from a lack of respect. Before Leach, players did not want to come to Pullman. Even in the first few years under Leach, players did not want to come to Pullman. Rypien wanted to go to a school that he thought was better.
Right or wrong, Rypien not coming to Pullman had zip to do with Bruggman (who transferred out of Montana State last weekend) or Luke Falk. It was personal.

Reactions: Cougzz
1. As for the thoughts above re this being "personal," Rypien's mom was pissed because Leach canned Tormey. Rumor had it that this was a big reason he chose Boise State.

2. As to the title of the thread, I suspect that this year will be chalked up to Rypien only playing sporadically after suffering a concussion via Luvu's hit -- conveniently ignoring that he already had lost his job -- and next year, he'll be back in the saddle again. I doubt he transfers. He was first-team all conference last year and, I think, the year before ... the kid is pretty good.

1. As for the thoughts above re this being "personal," Rypien's mom was pissed because Leach canned Tormey. Rumor had it that this was a big reason he chose Boise State.

2. As to the title of the thread, I suspect that this year will be chalked up to Rypien only playing sporadically after suffering a concussion via Luvu's hit -- conveniently ignoring that he already had lost his job -- and next year, he'll be back in the saddle again. I doubt he transfers. He was first-team all conference last year and, I think, the year before ... the kid is pretty good.

Not exactly. Leach didn't fire Tormey, he was fired by Moos, along with the rest of that staff.

Rypien's mom may have been upset about it, but I don't think it was with Leach.

I think promises of immediate playing time had something to do with it.

Rypien would be a redshirt sophomore at WSU right now. Same class as Hilinski. Our QB depth chart gone from a little scary to good shape over the past two years. The TV broadcasters made it sound like the Cozart guy was a grad transfer brought in for depth. Just my opinion, but that's a sign that PT or nobody in the next class, or some kind of promise was made to Rypien.

Right or wrong, Rypien not coming to Pullman had zip to do with Bruggman (who transferred out of Montana State last weekend) or Luke Falk. It was personal.

Actually, Browning committing to uw before Rypien did had a lot to do with it too.

Reactions: Cougzz
Not exactly. Leach didn't fire Tormey, he was fired by Moos, along with the rest of that staff.

Rypien's mom may have been upset about it, but I don't think it was with Leach.

You're right about the mechanics of Tormey's termination, of course -- Wulff and his entire staff were canned by Moos -- but Tormey and another guy stayed on to shepherd the transition to Leach and, unsurprisingly, neither was retained by Leach (as you and I, and probably everyone else, knows, it's atypical for a new head coach to keep anyone from the prior staff). I'm only speaking about rumors here, so who knows how accurate any of it is, but rumor had it that Rypien's mom wasn't pleased with the transition as a whole, certainly, and had some degree of general antipathy toward WSU relating to Wulff and his entire staff being let go (typical "loss of innocence" stuff) but was specifically pissed at Leach for choosing not to retain Tormey. Again, who knows if any of this is accurate and I think you're right to clarify that a good deal of the anti-WSU sentiment held by his mom, it at all in play with Brett's decision, was probably directed toward Moos and WSU as an institution, not Leach.

You're right about the mechanics of Tormey's termination, of course -- Wulff and his entire staff were canned by Moos -- but Tormey and another guy stayed on to shepherd the transition to Leach and, unsurprisingly, neither was retained by Leach (as you and I, and probably everyone else, knows, it's atypical for a new head coach to keep anyone from the prior staff). I'm only speaking about rumors here, so who knows how accurate any of it is, but rumor had it that Rypien's mom wasn't pleased with the transition as a whole, certainly, and had some degree of general antipathy toward WSU relating to Wulff and his entire staff being let go (typical "loss of innocence" stuff) but was specifically pissed at Leach for choosing not to retain Tormey. Again, who knows if any of this is accurate and I think you're right to clarify that a good deal of the anti-WSU sentiment held by his mom, it at all in play with Brett's decision, was probably directed toward Moos and WSU as an institution, not Leach.

The mom conspiracy doesn't really hold. Rypien wanted to go to uw, but Browning committed first. uw fired Uncle Chris. BSU was his second choice. I've heard from reliable source that "BSU did a better job recruiting him" which I took to mean he was told what he wanted to hear about PT.

The mom conspiracy doesn't really hold. Rypien wanted to go to uw, but Browning committed first. uw fired Uncle Chris. BSU was his second choice. I've heard from reliable source that "BSU did a better job recruiting him" which I took to mean he was told what he wanted to hear about PT.

Makes sense ... I know that if I was in his shoes, PT would be a primary concern, and I suspect he was told what he wanted to hear on that front. (I don't think anyone has ever said that the mom thing was determinative, in any case; rather, even these rumors only held that she was coloring Brett's view of the school and the staff. Parental input is more important in some recruiting situations than others.)

The Strange One us not for everyone.

Why not? First, there was time between when Tormey got fired and when Brett became a recruitable athlete. IE time for wounds to heal. Second, the biggest reason tom
I think promises of immediate playing time had something to do with it.

Rypien would be a redshirt sophomore at WSU right now. Same class as Hilinski. Our QB depth chart gone from a little scary to good shape over the past two years. The TV broadcasters made it sound like the Cozart guy was a grad transfer brought in for depth. Just my opinion, but that's a sign that PT or nobody in the next class, or some kind of promise was made to Rypien.

Why not? First, Tormey was fired at UW way before Brett became a recruit-able athlete. Time can heal wounds. The second reason there is hard feelings is because Tormey needed one more year to get vested in the Washington State retirement fund. That was the issue. WSU in their mind could have kept in on in numerous capacities. And it worked out well for both schools.

Why not? First, there was time between when Tormey got fired and when Brett became a recruitable athlete. IE time for wounds to heal. Second, the biggest reason tom

Why not? First, Tormey was fired at UW way before Brett became a recruit-able athlete. Time can heal wounds. The second reason there is hard feelings is because Tormey needed one more year to get vested in the Washington State retirement fund. That was the issue. WSU in their mind could have kept in on in numerous capacities. And it worked out well for both schools.

Because.

That one word makes as much sense as you did.

Hey Ed, your information is not correct here. Coaches are exempt employees, and as such are in the TIAA-Cref (similar to a 401K) plan. Defined contribution, meaning they put in, WSU puts in, and they vest immediately in both halves.

Hey Ed, your information is not correct here. Coaches are exempt employees, and as such are in the TIAA-Cref (similar to a 401K) plan. Defined contribution, meaning they put in, WSU puts in, and they vest immediately in both halves.
Hey LC, you're going to the penalty box for establishing something as a fact. Now go.....feel shame.

Hey LC, you're going to the penalty box for establishing something as a fact. Now go.....feel shame.

Obviously Brett Rypien was protesting the Washington state legislature and governor by choosing BSU....

Or that Yost was our area recruiter at the time.

Maybe it is how I phrased it, maybe it was their lack of understanding, I can only tell you what was relayed to me. One of my clients use to coach with Tormey. We were talking all things football one day and we discussed Tormey who had recently took the S Whidbey job. He told me that Tormey was one year shy of his Washington State pension. (didn't know coaches were able to get pensions from the state) The coach could have been all wet and totally misunderstood what Tormey was trying to do.

He also told me that was part of the reason he left Hawaii. Again, the coach could be 100% wrong. In a conversation later it was the same coach who had told me who Chris Tormey's sister was and how she was related to Brett Rypien, and what her feelings were about WSU after her brother was let go and her feelings of sending her son to WSU.

College football is a big business. For me it isn't all that hard to believe someone would take it personal. Again, the coach could have totally misunderstood all the information I provided.

after the hit he took... if he does transfer suspect it will be on a gurney
Watched the 60 minute replay and maybe this isn't a big deal but on that play Rypien took the hit from Luvu the OLM that basically whiffed on the block doesn't even go over to check on Rypien. In fact it didn't appear anyone went over to check on Rypien (who is obviously hurt) on that play. I haven't watched the full replay so maybe they were just a bit delayed but you would think someone would at least walk over to him to see how he was doing.

Anyway, thought it was a bit strange in maybe a surprising 'Draft Day' kinda' way.

Covart is a senior transfer and will be gone after this season. No way Rypien leaves Boise State.

This,
it would be shocking if Rypien left. He will get his shot next year, assuming he makes some improvements this season playing sparingly, or unless an injury occurs unexpectedly.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT