ADVERTISEMENT

Air Force opens -3

chugspig

Hall Of Fame
Nov 5, 2011
Maybe I haven’t watched enough football, but I assumed we were going to open -10 or more. Air Force favored tells me they think Air Force will rush for 500+.

Interesting the only common opponent was Colorado. The cougs ran them 41-10 while the kadets won 30-23 in overtime. i guess they are not impressed with this year s version of the air raid?

You're either capable of defending the triple option in a given year or you're not. God help you if you're not.

I'm not worried about moving the ball on them if it comes to that. I'm worried about how much time our offense spends on the field with them gaining 4.5 yards per play.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
one thing about the triple option, it makes it harder if you never see it, and have never seen it. Rock probably has, I doubt McBath has.

one thing about the triple option, it makes it harder if you never see it, and have never seen it. Rock probably has, I doubt McBath has.
Even if you have seen it, it's an equalizer on par with the Air Raid when executed well

Georgia sees it from GA Tech every year, and always has a huge talent advantage, and yet it's not exactly "rare" to see Tech pull out a win. Tech has won 2 of the last 6 and both were road games for Tech against a bevy of UGA's NFL draft picks

Even if you have seen it, it's an equalizer on par with the Air Raid when executed well

Georgia sees it from GA Tech every year, and always has a huge talent advantage, and yet it's not exactly "rare" to see Tech pull out a win. Tech has won 2 of the last 6 and both were road games for Tech against a bevy of UGA's NFL draft picks

OTOH it’s a terrible “come from behind” offense, at least historically.

If the Cougs can come out smokin’ hot, and score a bunch early, the triple option becomes much less of a problem.

I know, I know......our team is perfectly capable of imploding, even with a big lead. The UCLA game will not be forgotten anytime soon. But UCLA took advantage of a team-wide melt down by the Cougs - fumbles by WRs trying to stretch for yards, special teams disasters, and one or two play “drives” against a Coug defense in shambles.

And I do remember the early season wins, over teams much less accomplished than Air Force, where we gave up a bleepload of yards on the ground. Along with all the other teams which “had their way with” our defense.

I’m just choosing to try and look on the positive side of things. The offense has moved the ball and scored well in most of the games we played. Placekicking has been a real positive. We have a good punter but let’s hope we don’t have to use him much. The defense has given up a lot of yards and points in games this season. But they have also come up with stops in some games (UCLA, OSU) that gave us the chance to win those games at the end, even if they couldn’t in some others (ASU and Oregon) where they hadn’t played too horribly otherwise.

So I’m going to try and take the high road, hoping that the Cougs (both staff and players alike) make good use of the extended practice time, come out hot and never look back......

Even though the long, long time Coug fan in me knows it will more likely be a typical struggle right to the end, one way or the other.

They play solid defense, they’re disciplined, and they’re 10-2. They deserve to be favored.

I can picture them pounding the ball off tackle all day.

Reactions: 79COUG
Thinking on about the same line as you apparently are, I am wishing that an old hand like Claeys was still available.

OTOH it’s a terrible “come from behind” offense, at least historically.

If the Cougs can come out smokin’ hot, and score a bunch early, the triple option becomes much less of a problem.

I know, I know......our team is perfectly capable of imploding, even with a big lead. The UCLA game will not be forgotten anytime soon. But UCLA took advantage of a team-wide melt down by the Cougs - fumbles by WRs trying to stretch for yards, special teams disasters, and one or two play “drives” against a Coug defense in shambles.

And I do remember the early season wins, over teams much less accomplished than Air Force, where we gave up a bleepload of yards on the ground. Along with all the other teams which “had their way with” our defense.

I’m just choosing to try and look on the positive side of things. The offense has moved the ball and scored well in most of the games we played. Placekicking has been a real positive. We have a good punter but let’s hope we don’t have to use him much. The defense has given up a lot of yards and points in games this season. But they have also come up with stops in some games (UCLA, OSU) that gave us the chance to win those games at the end, even if they couldn’t in some others (ASU and Oregon) where they hadn’t played too horribly otherwise.

So I’m going to try and take the high road, hoping that the Cougs (both staff and players alike) make good use of the extended practice time, come out hot and never look back......

Even though the long, long time Coug fan in me knows it will more likely be a typical struggle right to the end, one way or the other.
I agree. I don't think it will be easy but what you see in the "Clean Old Fashioned Hate" rivalry between UGA & Tech, is if Georgia pulls away early by more than 2 scores, Tech is forced to start throwing, and this is not their strong suit. Like you say, it is about grinding out downs, keeping the offensive power's defense on the field, and just playing keepaway / death of a thousand FGs.

They play solid defense, they’re disciplined, and they’re 10-2. They d

I think Georgia has won 16 of the past 20.

Reactions: WASH ST A&M FAN
They play solid defense, they’re disciplined, and they’re 10-2. They d

I think Georgia has won 16 of the past 20.
GT shouldn't have any victories given the talent disparity.

I think they've been running a version of that offense since the 60s. In any event, they've won 40+ games in the rivalry despite being inferior virtually every year. It can be a real equalizer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT