ADVERTISEMENT

An observation and a question

kayak15

Hall Of Fame
Apr 17, 2012
Mercer Island
Ohio State grabbed Grinch as a replacement for Schiano who was on the verge of leaving. Schiano ended up staying. Now they are apparently going to add Temple's DC to the mix. That makes for some interesting and complex dynamics to take place in the future. Maybe Alex is not the crown prince of their defensive staff after all. Nice for the buckeyes to have that much brain power though and I will be curious to see how that evolves next Fall.

Now for my question. What responsibilities do the graduate assistants have. I know that they cannot be involved in recruiting but what other restrictions are placed on them?

Ohio State grabbed Grinch as a replacement for Schiano who was on the verge of leaving. Schiano ended up staying. Now they are apparently going to add Temple's DC to the mix. That makes for some interesting and complex dynamics to take place in the future. Maybe Alex is not the crown prince of their defensive staff after all. Nice for the buckeyes to have that much brain power though and I will be curious to see how that evolves next Fall.

Now for my question. What responsibilities do the graduate assistants have. I know that they cannot be involved in recruiting but what other restrictions are placed on them?
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1092264-college-football-day-in-the-life-of-a-graduate-assistant

They can't drink in the same bars as the players.

It varies from program to program on who gets to stay and who has to leave. Usually first one there has squatter's rights.

My question is what position will Grinch coach, unless Schiano isn't going to coach a position.

Grinch probably was not lied to, but he definitely was fed the rosiest of scenarios. The guy from Temple had to be out of right field for him...you know that wasn't part of his recruiting song and dance. Welcome to a major program where you left being a DC and are now at best the #3 defensive coach...if not lower...and are no longer an obvious "heir apparent". It might still work out for Grinch, but there is no way that this is what he was sold in December.

Grinch probably was not lied to, but he definitely was fed the rosiest of scenarios. The guy from Temple had to be out of right field for him...you know that wasn't part of his recruiting song and dance. Welcome to a major program where you left being a DC and are now at best the #3 defensive coach...if not lower...and are no longer an obvious "heir apparent". It might still work out for Grinch, but there is no way that this is what he was sold in December.

They now have three secondary coaches. What is he going to coach?

I suspect that Grinch could probably coach a variety of positions. Given his resume and how he was recruited, it would be a defensive job...but Ohio State probably has at least 4 defensive AC's, and possibly 5, depending upon how they structure things. The only job that at first glance might seem odd is DT. I could see him doing any combination of DE's, LB's, CB's or Safeties.

I suspect that Grinch could probably coach a variety of positions. Given his resume and how he was recruited, it would be a defensive job...but Ohio State probably has at least 4 defensive AC's, and possibly 5, depending upon how they structure things. The only job that at first glance might seem odd is DT. I could see him doing any combination of DE's, LB's, CB's or Safeties.

We will see.

Speaking of Ohio State, look at their raises. I kind of thought Grinch's fat salary might have been a one year thing so he could pay off his buyout, but we shall see. Schiano got a nice bump. I'm sure Jerry Sandusky's victims approve of that message.

Ohio State Assistant Coaching Staff Salaries and Increases for 2018

• Greg Schiano – $700,000 in 2017 to $1,500,000 in 2018: $800,000 increase
  • Ryan Day – $400,000 in 2017 to $1,000,000 in 2018: $600,000 increase
  • Kevin Wilson – $650,000 in 2017 to $800,000 in 2018: $150,000 increase
  • Alex Grinch – $800,000 in 2018
  • Larry Johnson – $575,225 in 2017 to $750,000 in 2018; $174,775 increase
  • Tony Alford – $450,000 in 2017 to $525,000 in 2018; $75,000 increase
  • Bill Davis – $500,000 in 2017; $500,000 in 2018
  • Greg Studrawa – $410,000 in 2017 to $500,000 in 2018; $90,000 increase
  • Taver Johnson – $345,000 in 2018
  • Zach Smith – $300,000 in 2017 to $340,000 in 2018; $40,000 increase

Grinch indeed ,may be the odd man out.I will venture a guess that he is not a very happy man right about now. If he had stayed at WSU,he would have garnered more publicity and been in line for at least a mid major head coaching position.Now he has to hope there is attrition on the Ohio State staff to move up..His other hope is as a DC on another lesser college.

Grinch indeed ,may be the odd man out.I will venture a guess that he is not a very happy man right about now. If he had stayed at WSU,he would have garnered more publicity and been in line for at least a mid major head coaching position.Now he has to hope there is attrition on the Ohio State staff to move up..His other hope is as a DC on another lesser college.

I’m guessing the $800,000 he’s making is softening the blow....

Reactions: Loyal Coug
He’s making great money, coaching at an iconic program, and living where he and his wife want to live.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT