ADVERTISEMENT

Another damning Pac-12 article

I don't know that I like being reliable, decent but not elite. Sounds a bit like a backhanded compliment but I'll do the mental gymnastics to be OK with it. "DUDE!!! Did you see that OK, reliable average chick that just walked in the door!"

Other than that, the article was level headed. Not full of overstated crap, no hyperbole. And still pretty damning, as Loyal says.

I've always said, West Coast is just different. But oddly, a thought entered my head as I was reading this article. As much as it's easy to laugh at the fly-over states, the hicks, the rednecks, etc... I wonder if they haven't been out-marketing us. All these hipster, west coast, elite schmucks thinking they are so much better that the mid-west and they've all been out thought by the rednecks of marketing. "Monster Truck rallies and Football are so below me" kind of thing... yet they are running to the bank.

Don't know if it's got ANY basis but it's a thought.

I don't know that I like being reliable, decent but not elite. Sounds a bit like a backhanded compliment but I'll do the mental gymnastics to be OK with it. "DUDE!!! Did you see that OK, reliable average chick that just walked in the door!"

Other than that, the article was level headed. Not full of overstated crap, no hyperbole. And still pretty damning, as Loyal says.

I've always said, West Coast is just different. But oddly, a thought entered my head as I was reading this article. As much as it's easy to laugh at the fly-over states, the hicks, the rednecks, etc... I wonder if they haven't been out-marketing us. All these hipster, west coast, elite schmucks thinking they are so much better that the mid-west and they've all been out thought by the rednecks of marketing. "Monster Truck rallies and Football are so below me" kind of thing... yet they are running to the bank.

Breaking news: CNN is a garbage site for news, as evidenced by their source material (BR).

The author of the article is a Midwest honk, grad of Central Mich 4 years ago, which means he probably bleeds Maize and Blue but couldn't get accepted. He's been a "national sports writer" for BR for 6 years, which means since he was 16 (his photo matches up.)

He's never had editorial oversight, and just like everyone else west of the Rockies, is threatened by anything that may cast a shadow over all things B10/B12/SEC.

I think that's a fair description of our program today. The P12 doesn't have an elite program right now, unfortunately.

Reactions: Cougzz
. As much as it's easy to laugh at the fly-over states, the hicks, the rednecks, etc... I wonder if they haven't been out-marketing us. All these hipster, west coast, elite schmucks thinking they are so much better that the mid-west and they've all been out thought by the rednecks of marketing. "Monster Truck rallies and Football are so below me" kind of thing... yet they are running to the bank.

Fly over states? You must listen to Jason Aldean.......:)

Breaking news: CNN is a garbage site for news, as evidenced by their source material (BR).

The author of the article is a Midwest honk, grad of Central Mich 4 years ago, which means he probably bleeds Maize and Blue but couldn't get accepted. He's been a "national sports writer" for BR for 6 years, which means since he was 16 (his photo matches up.)

He's never had editorial oversight, and just like everyone else west of the Rockies, is threatened by anything that may cast a shadow over all things B10/B12/SEC.

I hope you mean "garbage" for Sports news, not news in general. I hope to he!! you don't get your regular "news" from Faux News.

I have a couple of criticisms of CNN in general - first, they are fixated on the POTUS to the exclusion of other non-political news stories. Second, they consistently rename articles after a couple of days, and move them around, to create the illusion of new news.

While I have no opinion of Bleacher Report in general, not sure what your disgust is with this particular story, which is pretty much right on.

I hope you mean "garbage" for Sports news, not news in general. I hope to he!! you don't get your regular "news" from Faux News.

I have a couple of criticisms of CNN in general - first, they are fixated on the POTUS to the exclusion of other non-political news stories. Second, they consistently rename articles after a couple of days, and move them around, to create the illusion of new news.

While I have no opinion of Bleacher Report in general, not sure what your disgust is with this particular story, which is pretty much right on.
I was just chuckling about my playlist. I have a great rendition of Bach's Violin Concerto No. 1 in A minor I absolutely love. Was just playing. Right after, AC/DC kicked in. Looking at my "eclectic" playlist, I have America, Boston, Blake Shelton, The Beatles, Asa, Blue October, The 2 Bob's (Bob Marley and Bob Dylan), Brothers Osbourne, Brooks and Dunn, Bruno Mars and Bruce Hornsby... just a little taste of the "B's" in my playlist.

Both news networks are garbage. For all the bias Fox has, you eloquently show CNN's. Your description of CNN is what Fox was accused of (and rightly so) during Obama's era.

Not to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Both sides have some good reporting, when they choose to. This is pretty broad strokes here. Watch both. Get both sides.

Reactions: GrayOnGray

A) its none of your fcking business where I get my news from, and both Fox and CNN/ MSNBC et al are partisan echo chambers, although that fox guy shepherd blasted trump after his little speech last week.

B) The content of the story is fine - the writing is that of a high schooler spewing out what he was able to find on the internet. "Oh hey look you guys! Did you know the P12 had a officiating scandal? Like, four months ago?" There is no original thought or insight, just a low hanging fruit hit piece on the P12. It would be like me writing a "B10 has low moral standards" and go on about PSU and tOSU.

Its really easy to write a (s)hit piece, its another to write something thought provoking and substantial. "Lets look at how the P12 arrived here", or "Heres where they need to go to move forward".

Look, you like tabloid news - so does my grandma and I still love her. So no big deal.

I was just chuckling about my playlist. I have a great rendition of Bach's Violin Concerto No. 1 in A minor I absolutely love. Was just playing. Right after, AC/DC kicked in. Looking at my "eclectic" playlist, I have America, Boston, Blake Shelton, The Beatles, Asa, Blue October, The 2 Bob's (Bob Marley and Bob Dylan), Brothers Osbourne, Brooks and Dunn, Bruno Mars and Bruce Hornsby... just a little taste of the "B's" in my playlist.

Both news networks are garbage. For all the bias Fox has, you eloquently show CNN's. Your description of CNN is what Fox was accused of (and rightly so) during Obama's era.

Not to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Both sides have some good reporting, when they choose to. This is pretty broad strokes here. Watch both. Get both sides.
Man, I can't listen to music like that. When I want to listen to a genre, then its that genre, whether it be rock, rap, talk radio, old school country, jazz, classical, etc.

I think that's a fair description of our program today. The P12 doesn't have an elite program right now, unfortunately.
+1. Solid program, but not elite. To me elite says that most years you can compete with the best of the best. Don’t think we could line up against Bama or Clemson and give them a game. And neither could anyone else in our conference.

Reactions: Cougzz
For anyone that's disappointed that we aren't considered elite......we've only had one season with less then 2 losses in 21 years and 2018 was the first double digit win total since 2003. It takes more than one season to build a dynasty. I think everyone here gets that, but 8 to 9 wins is above average at best.

For anyone that's disappointed that we aren't considered elite......we've only had one season with less then 2 losses in 21 years and 2018 was the first double digit win total since 2003. It takes more than one season to build a dynasty. I think everyone here gets that, but 8 to 9 wins is above average at best.
I don't think anyone is really taking issue with the article, but two things:

this article is just taking cheap shots at the P12 for no real reason other than to do it

and

it can be filed in the "no-shit sherlock" file of internet "news"

It also reeks of big-brother superiority complex, where its like "yeah, no shit we're not elite. We've just started our actually journey to get there, and we've done it the old fashioned way, and to be honest unless we find a huge donor or get every grad from now until 1970 to pony up, we probably won't ever get there, SO WHATS YOUR FCKING POINT?"

Yeah, truth stings a bit, but not for the reasons you're implying.

Yeah, I'm not disappointed in being "average". I see what our trajectory is. But that doesn't mean the average chick that walks in the door and only turns heads a few heads, isn't disappointed when someone comes up to them and says, "Hey, your average in looks. Just so you know."

And honestly, I think we are the epitome of "The Ugly Duckling". We are just about ready to turn into something pretty hot.

A) its none of your fcking business where I get my news from, and both Fox and CNN/ MSNBC et al are partisan echo chambers, although that fox guy shepherd blasted trump after his little speech last week.

B) The content of the story is fine - the writing is that of a high schooler spewing out what he was able to find on the internet. "Oh hey look you guys! Did you know the P12 had a officiating scandal? Like, four months ago?" There is no original thought or insight, just a low hanging fruit hit piece on the P12. It would be like me writing a "B10 has low moral standards" and go on about PSU and tOSU.

Its really easy to write a (s)hit piece, its another to write something thought provoking and substantial. "Lets look at how the P12 arrived here", or "Heres where they need to go to move forward".

Look, you like tabloid news - so does my grandma and I still love her. So no big deal.

Looks like someone is having a bad day. :oops:

Just FYI, you don't have to click on my posts or my links if you are going to get all mad.

I don't think anyone is really taking issue with the article, but two things:

this article is just taking cheap shots at the P12 for no real reason other than to do it

and

it can be filed in the "no-shit sherlock" file of internet "news"

It also reeks of big-brother superiority complex, where its like "yeah, no shit we're not elite. We've just started our actually journey to get there, and we've done it the old fashioned way, and to be honest unless we find a huge donor or get every grad from now until 1970 to pony up, we probably won't ever get there, SO WHATS YOUR FCKING POINT?"

Yeah, truth stings a bit, but not for the reasons you're implying.

I agree. Nothing new here.

There is some misinformation in the article. Somewhere in there it says something along of the lines of "if selling part of the network was a good idea someone else would have done it." Well, someone has. Fox and ESPN own equity interests in the Big 10 Network, SEC Network and Longhorn Network. The Pac-12 decided to retain 100% and operate the networks itself.

Reactions: BleedCrimsonandGray
"I do not believe any of us would agree these matters are somehow connected, nor that we are in turmoil," Scott said.

This says so much. Captain Bly ignoring the mutiny.

WSU has a helluva run going and it's loads of fun. However,

Elite? No. Right now - Clemson is elite. Bama - Elite, Oklahoma, yeah, probably. Ohio State -we'll see after Urbs leaves. That's about it.

There's a whole tier of LSU's and UW's and Penn States and the like.

WSU has a helluva run going and it's loads of fun. However,

Elite? No. Right now - Clemson is elite. Bama - Elite, Oklahoma, yeah, probably. Ohio State -we'll see after Urbs leaves. That's about it.

There's a whole tier of LSU's and UW's and Penn States and the like.

Two things the PAC 12 could do to help...

Actually lift weights. How many PAC 12 teams pass the eyeball test like the SEC does? Im not on board with the idea that the SEC is sooooo much better than other conferences. I will never deny that those kids do the work in the weight room. Looking the part is winning the pre season polls...

Stop blazing the 9 league schedule trail. Play 8 league games. Buyout 4 non league games to be played at your place. Put as many teams into bowls as possible.

The SEC has laid out the blueprint on how to win the media/marketing game. Why reinvent the wheel? Do what they do. If Micheal Scott is really that good he will do it better.

Reactions: PatBaum

Actually lift weights. How many PAC 12 teams pass the eyeball test like the SEC does? Im not on board with the idea that the SEC is sooooo much better than other conferences. I will never deny that those kids do the work in the weight room. Looking the part is winning the pre season polls...

Stop blazing the 9 league schedule trail. Play 8 league games. Buyout 4 non league games to be played at your place. Put as many teams into bowls as possible.

The SEC has laid out the blueprint on how to win the media/marketing game. Why reinvent the wheel? Do what they do. If Micheal Scott is really that good he will do it better.

FWIW, the Big 12, B1G and Pac-12 play 9 conference games, the SEC and ACC play 8 conference games. That meant that 10-3 Syracuse missed Georgia Tech, Virginia, Miami, Virginia Tech and Duke from the other division this year and only played Pitt and UNC. With 13 other teams in the conference and missing 5 of them, it's almost like they aren't in the same conference. We aren't the outlier on the topic anymore.

I believe that given the 14 teams in both the ACC and SEC, there is going to be mounting pressure from the media over time for those conferences to go to 9 games. Unfortunately, as long as Clemson and Alabama are playing like they are, there is little motivation to change. The question for a school like WSU is more difficult than whether or not we can pick up an "easier" win. For us, the exposure in California in particular is important and we don't want a change that impacts that. An extra win over Valdosta State isn't going to move the needle for fans or recruits but it costs us an opportunity to be in Arizona, Colorado, Utah or California. For WSU, the 9 conference games is a net benefit in my opinion.

FWIW, the Big 12, B1G and Pac-12 play 9 conference games, the SEC and ACC play 8 conference games. That meant that 10-3 Syracuse missed Georgia Tech, Virginia, Miami, Virginia Tech and Duke from the other division this year and only played Pitt and UNC. With 13 other teams in the conference and missing 5 of them, it's almost like they aren't in the same conference. We aren't the outlier on the topic anymore.

I believe that given the 14 teams in both the ACC and SEC, there is going to be mounting pressure from the media over time for those conferences to go to 9 games. Unfortunately, as long as Clemson and Alabama are playing like they are, there is little motivation to change. The question for a school like WSU is more difficult than whether or not we can pick up an "easier" win. For us, the exposure in California in particular is important and we don't want a change that impacts that. An extra win over Valdosta State isn't going to move the needle for fans or recruits but it costs us an opportunity to be in Arizona, Colorado, Utah or California. For WSU, the 9 conference games is a net benefit in my opinion.

Payouts for non conference home games are insane too. Scheduling an FCS opponent is $750,000 and it's twice that to schedule a G5 school without a return trip. The nice thing about 9 conference games is we are making fewer road trips to Mountain West schools or saving quite a few bucks for an athletic department in the red.

And make tons of money doing it.

Let's face it...the media has destroyed itself over the past few years. It's not trustworthy and has no intention of being balanced.

The SEC has a geography advantage....and as you say, they have a size and strength advantage. That is clear when you look at top teams vs top teams in each league. Look at the D lines, for example. And Clemson and Alabama have depth.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT