ADVERTISEMENT

Any news on the new Indoor Practice Facility?

PeteTheChop

Hall Of Fame
May 25, 2005
The hiring of CML dovetailed nicely with WSU building arguably the best FOB west of the Continental Divide.

Up next: The new IPF that Sgt. Schulz all but guaranteed will be ready to go in 2019.

Any word on when this venue will be available for Coach Leach, his staff and his players? After all the grumbling and disparaging comments about “The Bubble” heard here, I’m hoping the administration and boosters go all-out to construct a top of the line structure every bit the equal of the FOB and the remodeled Martin Stadium.

I bet CML would want the same as well.

Pete, Chun's -or was it Schultz's- promise of an IPF within the near future has never made any sense to me. Whatever monies the department has is first dedicated toward the baseball clubhouse with the IPF to follow. Don't quote me but I am under the impression that the baseball facility has the money and is good to go. Any money left over is for the IPF but it can't be much. This website is full of threads about the department's dire financial situation. I just cannot see the IPF having the needed funds within a couple of years. Hope that I am wrong but do not think so. Chun has his work cut out for him hitting up the alumni, Palouse wheat farmers, etc. raising the necessary funds for another new project.

Kayak,

Appreciate the update.

I know funding can be a juggling act for a major-college athletic program, but Sgt. Schulz was adamant in Dec. 2016 that shovels would be hitting the ground as soon as the $$$ was raised. His time estimate for that to happen was 12 to 18 months.

A first-class IPF would seem to go hand in hand with the new FOB in CML’s recruiting toolbox.

Expensive, sure, but it’s probably just the cost of doing business in this day and age.

Not to mention the potential returns (i.e. major bowl games) could be huge.

Pete, Chun's -or was it Schultz's- promise of an IPF within the near future has never made any sense to me. Whatever monies the department has is first dedicated toward the baseball clubhouse with the IPF to follow. Don't quote me but I am under the impression that the baseball facility has the money and is good to go. Any money left over is for the IPF but it can't be much. This website is full of threads about the department's dire financial situation. I just cannot see the IPF having the needed funds within a couple of years. Hope that I am wrong but do not think so. Chun has his work cut out for him hitting up the alumni, Palouse wheat farmers, etc. raising the necessary funds for another new project.
Yup. No insider knowledge here but:
From what I understand, baseball is first strictly because our previous coach had raised the funds. Then when Lees was hired, there was a big boost. At this point, they are a hairs breathe away from getting all the funds needed. Hence the renderings that are posted around B.B. Field. All earmarked for baseball only. So from what I understand, that's why baseball has the funds. It's all been feet on the ground, coaches lobbying, kind of thing.
IPF is a whole different bag of bones.

Here is my solution: Make the IPF a multi-use facility that you can have student rec opportunities. Have the university fund it or ask the students to pony up. Write the student initiative so the students on campus today don't pay, but when center opens those students pay. Athletics pays a few to rent the building. Soccer inside during February. Flag football inside. I think there was be a lot of use for a facility that is covered.

Reactions: PeteTheChop
Here is my solution: Make the IPF a multi-use facility that you can have student rec opportunities. Have the university fund it or ask the students to pony up. Write the student initiative so the students on campus today don't pay, but when center opens those students pay. Athletics pays a few to rent the building. Soccer inside during February. Flag football inside. I think there was be a lot of use for a facility that is covered.

Why don't we just astroturf the damn fieldhouse - it can fit a football field. An IPF is just a big barn anyway. Even the Oregon one (pic from another thread) looks like a barn. WTH

Here is my solution: Make the IPF a multi-use facility that you can have student rec opportunities. Have the university fund it or ask the students to pony up.

Interesting idea, TTown.

I imagine students would be pretty excited about having this kind of facility readily available, especially if all the bells and whistles were included as with the FOB. Could really help take WSU Football and the campus itself to the next level if done right.

This might be where WSU misses Bill Moos the most. He had a way of getting everyone to buy-in to his vision for the football program, no matter the cost.

Don't know that we can say the same (yet, anyway) about Chung or for that matter Sgt. Schulz.

I know Cougatron has seemed kind of iffy on Schulz to this point — and he seems to track WSU finances and spending pretty closely.

Why don't we just astroturf the damn fieldhouse - it can fit a football field.

Loyal, I brought up a similar sort of re-purposing of "The Bubble" a while back and it got shot down pretty quickly.

It seems like most folks at CougZone would rather start from scratch and Think Big versus slapping on a coat of paint and polishing the door knobs for a building that dates back to Great Depression.

I’ve always felt that upgrading the field house would be an interesting idea. The structure is old but it has some character and if renovated inside it could be pretty nice.

Interesting idea, TTown.

I imagine students would be pretty excited about having this kind of facility readily available, especially if all the bells and whistles were included as with the FOB. Could really help take WSU Football and the campus itself to the next level if done right.

This might be where WSU misses Bill Moos the most. He had a way of getting everyone to buy-in to his vision for the football program, no matter the cost.

Don't know that we can say the same (yet, anyway) about Chung or for that matter Sgt. Schulz.

I know Cougatron has seemed kind of iffy on Schulz to this point — and he seems to track WSU finances and spending pretty closely.

As long as he doesn't screw with the good things we have going I will have no problem with him. He tries to meddle and he will be on the out.

I think the idea of a shared sports facility is great. Whatever we have to do to get it done.

Chun is fine, he needs to raise money and fix men's basketball. If he can do those 2 things he will be great.

My biggest concern is that we meddle with football and gut the program "just to save money" and then have to start all over. We need the indoor facility, men's basketball to turn around, and donations. That's it.

The budget will balance itself in the next few years because most of the bulk deficit will be handled. Schultz walked in and didn't know the arrangement we had to do all the things we needed to do. Floyd understood the plan, but Schultz wasn't party to any of it. He just walked in... saw deficit and started throwing a fit. We all knew there was going to be a deficit. We all knew this was going to cost money.

And as I've said many times.

WSU is making more money now then it ever has in athletics. We made a total of 59 million dollars in revenue this year in 2017.

Just six years ago. Six. it was 37 million.

An increase of 22 million dollars PER year. This is without the deficit/covering and what have you.

Just raw 59 million in revenue from 37 million in revenue. An increase of 22 million dollars.

So whatever Leach is paid...

4 million
4 million (tops) Assistants

So for Leach we are paying about 8 million more per year. And we are making 22 million extra.

Kent as I've said is way over paid at 1.4

But if you add it all up for basketball it costs us about 4 million for all of Kents stuff.

12 Million extra per year in major revenue sports.

while we are making 22 million in extra revenue from 2011. So without the facilities, we are making 10 million more per year.

So obviously when you add the FOB, Stadium renovations which cost like 120 million dollars. That has to be paid from somewhere.
So the school is fronting that extra money while we get caught up paying the debt service.

We are going to be fine in 5 years. Absolutely fine. We'll have a nice stadium, great facilities, a great stretch of winning seasons and reputable program.
It will be fantastic. If..... If.... we don't screw it up. So that's why I am cautious of schultz. If he breaks the system we could be in serious serious trouble.

Why don't we just astroturf the damn fieldhouse - it can fit a football field. An IPF is just a big barn anyway. Even the Oregon one (pic from another thread) looks like a barn. WTH

dumb_and_dumber_to_1.jpg

I’ve always felt that upgrading the field house would be an interesting idea. The structure is old but it has some character and if renovated inside it could be pretty nice.
Plus it’s right next to the stadium. Makes an awful lot of sense. Build some public tennis courts elsewhere, and make this a track @field / football facility only. I’m sure they could still use for fan stuff during game day as well as they have with the practice field. Would be the most cost effective and location is a no brainer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT