ADVERTISEMENT

Any recommendations for a see through backpack?

dgibbons

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Dec 24, 2002
I’m looking for one big enough for two sweatshirts and two reusable cups. I’m not excited about buying one off Amazon, but that seems like the obvious choice.

I’m looking for one big enough for two sweatshirts and two reusable cups. I’m not excited about buying one off Amazon, but that seems like the obvious choice.

It all depends on how anal WSU will get about strict adherence to their guidelines?

Right now the dimensions are 14x8x14 and backpacks are specifically prohibited.

So you would be facing both issues. You can find clear backpacks online but, if they are strict about it, clear or not, it might not be allowed.

And if they did allow a clear backpack, they might be really tight on the size allowances?

I have had this sort of thing (various bag policies and inconsistent application of those policies) come up myself over the past few years, as more and more venues have shifted to this policy.

Sometimes (at Century Link) it can depend on which entrance is used, or can depend on what the mood of the screeners at any particular time might be? The screeners often make us take our sweatshirt or packable light raincoat out of the damn clear bag a majority of the time. But sometimes they are satisfied with the bag being opened and moving the contents around, along with squeezing the bag, etc.

At the LA Coliseum I actually had to take a very small nylon packable backpack and return it to our parked car while my buddy was able to bring in a larger, heavier duffle type bag. Why? Because their policy was NO BACKPACKS, but the were OK with duffles!

At Boise, there had been no mention anywhere of a no backpack rule...until we got up almost to security. I check that sort of thing now before every away game. But there I was in line, almost to the security check and one of the stadium guys said they probably wouldn’t let my (small nylon) backpack through. I turned it inside out so the straps that made it a backpack (instead of a stuff sack) didn’t show, and sailed through security. Then I reversed it back because the straps made it easier to carry.

That’s the sort of arbitrary BS we find ourselves dealing with in this age of “security”. Mostly we put up with it because we THINK it makes us somehow safer. Maybe it does? Maybe not?

Just some things to consider when you look to spend money on a clear “backpack” that just might be arbitrarily banned anyway.....

I got the NFL style clear bag several years ago and have used it in more venues than I can count. Works every time. The only way to fly, IMHO.

101309-WASU-1.jpg

Web_pic_2.png

I got the NFL style clear bag several years ago and have used it in more venues than I can count. Works every time. The only way to fly, IMHO.

Yeah.

My wife and I have been Sounders season ticket holders since they joined the MLS (and before that, back in the old NASL days). About two or three years ago they went to the same clear bag requirements that the NFL has used for a number of years. We have used those same type bags since that point. They come in two varieties - one is more of an open "tote", the other is a zippered bag with a short handle (similar to the one Yaki showed, but much shorter handle/carry straps).

It has really turned out to be a non-issue. Their season stretches long enough to experience all sorts of weather extremes. Plus, everyone has to go through an airport type mental detector at Century Link, so EVERYTHING goes in the bag to get through security. I carry "pocket" type stuff in using the clear bag, transfer things like wallet, keys, and phone back to pockets once inside, or just leave it in the bag. The extra rain/cold weather gear just stays in the bag unless needed. Between wearing some gear and carrying in the rest, I have never had a problem with not having what I needed at any game. And I have used my Sounders clear bag on road trips, at various venues where the policy is already in place. It will be nice to have a Coug one, too.

It's really not that tough to figure out. And, like I said originally - some of it depends on just how strict they will be with types of bags and size of bags. Folks who want to "push the envelope" will have to see what it gets them. And folks who don't like the bag "choices" will have to see if what they like better will work, or
not?

I know this has the potential cause some gnashing of teeth and on the spot adaptations this fall when it's first implemented. Most new policies do. But millions of NFL fans have managed to make things work with the same types of policies. And so have many other leagues, and venues, in the interim.

Why are you trying to avoid Amazon, just curios?

I'd like to see, touch, etc. several before making up my mind. I want to make sure the zippers work. I want to avoid one that looks like a purse. The pictures on the internet can be deceiving. The allowed dimensions are 14 x 14 x 8, which is large purse size.

Yeah.

My wife and I have been Sounders season ticket holders since they joined the MLS (and before that, back in the old NASL days). About two or three years ago they went to the same clear bag requirements that the NFL has used for a number of years. We have used those same type bags since that point. They come in two varieties - one is more of an open "tote", the other is a zippered bag with a short handle (similar to the one Yaki showed, but much shorter handle/carry straps).

It has really turned out to be a non-issue. Their season stretches long enough to experience all sorts of weather extremes. Plus, everyone has to go through an airport type mental detector at Century Link, so EVERYTHING goes in the bag to get through security. I carry "pocket" type stuff in using the clear bag, transfer things like wallet, keys, and phone back to pockets once inside, or just leave it in the bag. The extra rain/cold weather gear just stays in the bag unless needed. Between wearing some gear and carrying in the rest, I have never had a problem with not having what I needed at any game. And I have used my Sounders clear bag on road trips, at various venues where the policy is already in place. It will be nice to have a Coug one, too.

It's really not that tough to figure out. And, like I said originally - some of it depends on just how strict they will be with types of bags and size of bags. Folks who want to "push the envelope" will have to see what it gets them. And folks who don't like the bag "choices" will have to see if what they like better will work, or
not?

I know this has the potential cause some gnashing of teeth and on the spot adaptations this fall when it's first implemented. Most new policies do. But millions of NFL fans have managed to make things work with the same types of policies. And so have many other leagues, and venues, in the interim.

The difficult part, IMO, is that the weather in Pullman is more severe than Clink and most other NFL Stadiums (KC and GB, and sometimes Denver probably the only exceptions). It's been nice to stuff a blanket and several layers of outdoor gear, gloves, a hat, etc. into a backpack instead of putting everything on getting out of the car.

I'd like to see, touch, etc. several before making up my mind. I want to make sure the zippers work. I want to avoid one that looks like a purse. The pictures on the internet can be deceiving. The allowed dimensions are 14 x 14 x 8, which is large purse size.

Just can't resist a little teasing here, gibby.

I too like to touch and feel my man purses before I buy them. Rub them against my cheek. Feel the softness of the material. How does it look swinging at my side. Zip the zipper a few times. Hear that sound..... :rolleyes:

And of course since I am comfortable in my masculinity, I have no problem with a man purse looking like a man purse. ;)

EDIT- Preschool sized backpacks are far more manly than purses. Far more.

If there are plenty of customer reviews, why not let the Buyers' tell who what they like and not like, or just blow back the item with easy return process and no pain-points?

Regarding the zipper, you can ask a question to the other certified Buyer's and you'll get a fairly quick response. "Hey, how good do the zippers work"? A to Z instantly sends out your question to all the Buyer's and some will reply with an answer. How cool is that?

As you know, super easy process with a vender selection from coast to coast, and relying on customer reviews while sitting in your pajamas, (that you don't own or wear), delivered to your door, with free returns.

What an advertisement plug for the A to Z company! Are they paying me to say this?

Last edited:
The difficult part, IMO, is that the weather in Pullman is more severe than Clink and most other NFL Stadiums (KC and GB, and sometimes Denver probably the only exceptions). It's been nice to stuff a blanket and several layers of outdoor gear, gloves, a hat, etc. into a backpack instead of putting everything on getting out of the car.

I'm not going to split hairs about the weather at NFL places like Buffalo, Cleveland, Washington DC, New York, New England, Philly and the like (in addition to the ones you named). I get what you are saying. I just think that really harsh weather can be a factor in many more NFL/MLS cities (ones without domes) than the ones you mentioned. And literally millions of fans have adapted quite well over the years in a variety of locations.

So Coug fans will have to adapt, each in their own way.

All I can say is that I have stuffed most of what you refer to (except for the blanket) into my clear NFL style Sounders bag and needed every bit of it at some games. My wife takes a fleece-lined waterproof blanket type deal (rolls up so that it has it's own carry handles) in with her to cold weather games, in addition to her NFL style clear bag. Security screeners haven't blinked at that once. Perhaps WSU will be similarly accommodating?

If it bugs you to carry what you think amounts to a "man purse", by all means, find an acceptable alternative!

I have to say that this has been the most entertaining and least mindlessly visceral string all summer. See, we are capable of great and humorous things!!!

I have to say that this has been the most entertaining and least mindlessly visceral string all summer. See, we are capable of great and humorous things!!!

Pretty sure I had you at listening to the sound of that man purse zipper. Up, down. Up, down.

Hey I just saw a nice, comely lady walking by. Her purse looks a little heavy, and she also needs some help controlling that sissy little kick-me dog on a leash. See ya! ;)

Anybody know if these transparent man-purses will be for sale at the Bookie? The school needs money and this sounds like a no-brainer. Twenty thousand or so sales at a profit of 6-7 dollars each would bring in a nice windfall. My experience with WSU's marketing skills will keep me from holding my breath. Maybe Schultz and Chun can improve over past performances.

Anybody know if these transparent man-purses will be for sale at the Bookie? The school needs money and this sounds like a no-brainer. Twenty thousand or so sales at a profit of 6-7 dollars each would bring in a nice windfall. My experience with WSU's marketing skills will keep me from holding my breath. Maybe Schultz and Chun can improve over past performances.

I couldn't find one on the bookie website or shopwsucougars.com.

There will be 10,000 cinch bag style ones given away at the San Jose State game.

Here's my adaptation.

tenor.gif

I guess I just don't get the vitriol? You have obviously taken what I said differently than it was intended. So be it. I wasn't looking to be a dick in any of my comments.

If I was to get nasty back, I guess I would say it doesn't bother me much to get flipped off by someone who doesn't think Buffalo, Philly, New England, Minnesota, New York, Wash DC, and a number of other NFL cities (including the ones you mentioned), experience "severe weather". :rolleyes:

But I'm not that kind of guy. So I won't do that. LOL

I guess I just don't get the vitriol? You have obviously taken what I said differently than it was intended. So be it. I wasn't looking to be a dick in any of my comments.

If I was to get nasty back, I guess I would say it doesn't bother me much to get flipped off by someone who doesn't think Buffalo, Philly, New England, Minnesota, New York, Wash DC, and a number of other NFL cities (including the ones you mentioned), experience "severe weather". :rolleyes:

But I'm not that kind of guy. So I won't do that. LOL

Here's how I feel about adapting.

double-middle-finger-sign-female-hand-isolated-white-background-clipping-path-67616952.jpg

Here's how I feel about adapting.

double-middle-finger-sign-female-hand-isolated-white-background-clipping-path-67616952.jpg

Hey....that's a pretty good adaptation, in and of itself!! True talent! You could have gone with the Johnny Cash version, too (it's out there somewhere. I'm not interweb savvy enough to retrieve it)

(But I meant what I said before - honestly, my intent was never to insult or cause offense. If you just want to "rage against the system", I'm good with that. If you're raging against me, your finger is misplaced. LOL)

I don't like to buy backpacks online, because I had a bad experience about this. You just don't see what you are buying. I remember that I ordered from Amazon a backpack that I've seen on backpacks.global website, it looked pretty good in the pictures, but when the delivery came, the bag was much smaller that in the photos. That's just my opinion, maybe I am wrong. I really hope so. Maybe I will try and order something from the internet again, maybe this time it will be more successful. Have a nice one.

Last edited:
The bookie should have kiosks of them for sale at each entrance to Martin stadium. Don’t make us stand in line at the Bookie

I don't think you can find such a backpack on the Internet. In general,clear backpacks this is a rarity, few people use them. I think you should contact the master and order a backpack that will be made exactly according to your needs and according to your size, maybe it will be more expensive, But you will definitely get what you want. personally , I prefer vintage canvas bags more . They stretch well and are quite roomy, unlike plastic or rubber backpacks. In addition, they are very stylish, maybe you don't need to buy a transparent backpack?

Last edited:
My solution: Wear the sweatshirt, buy a reusable cup from concessions. Probably cheaper than the backpack.

Also...this is a slightly arm's length observation, because I pretty much do all I can to stay in the "no bags" line, but I don't think the people at the gate have been enforcing the clear bags rule very strictly. Pretty sure the woman in front of me got in carrying a small leather purse (yes...in the "no bags" line).

They're not that strict. Yes. Go in with a couple of plastic bags full of your stuff, but if you have an item that is a sweatshirt or jacket, they're not going to deny you entrance. You're showing respect and honor with the two plastic bags. This isn't airport security. They're pretty lenient, IMO.

I like the backpack. Wear the extra... carry the rest in the backpack. I always overpack and actually put a real duffle bag inside the backpack.

KingBig Clear Backpack Stadium Approved Heavy Duty PVC Bookbag Transparent

ADVERTISEMENT