ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody nostalgic for some of this?

KRUSTYtheCOUG

Head Coach
Dec 29, 2018

Just a sample during his post game press conference after they lose to Alabama...

"
On focus heading into bye week:

Well I think we need to use our hands better. We don't move our hands very good. You know, when I was a kid and I was in grade school, there was this nice big dinosaur guy. I can't remember the gas station, but they would give you a free dinosaur [toy]if you filled up there. That's back when they had commercials on TV and then they would give something to the kids like me. And then the idea was that you should raise hell with your parents every time you're in the station wagon. We had one, a good classic like one off the Wonder Years, one of those fake woody ones, you know, fake painted-on wood. But then the best is it would always without exception the finish and the varnish on it would peel. So then it looked more bogus than ever..."

It goes on and on from there. That's all I have to say about that.

Just a sample during his post game press conference after they lose to Alabama...

"
On focus heading into bye week:

Well I think we need to use our hands better. We don't move our hands very good. You know, when I was a kid and I was in grade school, there was this nice big dinosaur guy. I can't remember the gas station, but they would give you a free dinosaur [toy]if you filled up there. That's back when they had commercials on TV and then they would give something to the kids like me. And then the idea was that you should raise hell with your parents every time you're in the station wagon. We had one, a good classic like one off the Wonder Years, one of those fake woody ones, you know, fake painted-on wood. But then the best is it would always without exception the finish and the varnish on it would peel. So then it looked more bogus than ever..."

It goes on and on from there. That's all I have to say about that.
It is too bad… Leach is the grandfather of todays offense . But others have taken the offense and concepts and made a few tweaks here and there. Leach’s philosophy is out rep their opponent , others have made adjustments to make it easier on their players .

No..I don't miss that at all.

Yesterday he had 3rd and inches on his own 30. Passed it two times in a row...and the safties were just sitting back to have a 5 yd sprint at the receivers to seperate them from the ball...and crack a rib or two.

No, I don't miss that dumb shit.

Leach will get away with only so much of this folksy "did he really just say that" stuff in the SEC West. Starkville will eat it up if they're winning, and crucify him for it if they're losing. It was always an uphill battle and fans aren't gonna settle for Grandpa Leach-isms if they're scoring 6 ppg, even @Bama

Never felt Leach cared about any other part of the team than the offense, and sadly I agree with the comment that others have adapted their game each year (and each week) to give themselves the best chance of winning, while Leach's approach has been pretty autopilot/"if we're losing then we're just not executing right".

It's weird but I can see Leach being run out of town rather than riding into the sunset with a championship. Maybe this is blasphemy, but by the end in Pullman, I thought he was mailing it in big time. He might just be getting to that age.

While I appreciate everything he did for us, it was time for him to go and I wouldn't take him back. As mentioned above, he's went from being innovative to a has been that's been surpassed by those willing to adapt.

God forbid that Mississippi State loses to Auburn, Georgia and Ole Miss and finishes 6-6 and than loses their bowl game. He might find out that like Joe Moorhead, the Bulldogs have no patience for losing records. Leach's worst trait is that he's never been wrong, it's always a failure by his team to execute. He's early enough in his time at MSU that they might still drink that Kool-Aid, but after a while, you start wondering if he's worth the arrogant douchebag vibe that he puts out.

Of course, Leach is just the kind of crazy a-hole to get by Auburn, ETSU and Ole Miss, win the bowl game and finish 9-4. You never know with the dude. We melted under pressure to finish the 2016, 2017 and 2019 seasons but looked great in 2015 and 2018 (other than choking in the AC each year). The first three that I listed had us finish 2-3 to finish each season. We finished 4-1 in the other two. We'll see.

Leach will get away with only so much of this folksy "did he really just say that" stuff in the SEC West. Starkville will eat it up if they're winning, and crucify him for it if they're losing. It was always an uphill battle and fans aren't gonna settle for Grandpa Leach-isms if they're scoring 6 ppg, even @Bama

Never felt Leach cared about any other part of the team than the offense, and sadly I agree with the comment that others have adapted their game each year (and each week) to give themselves the best chance of winning, while Leach's approach has been pretty autopilot/"if we're losing then we're just not executing right".

It's weird but I can see Leach being run out of town rather than riding into the sunset with a championship. Maybe this is blasphemy, but by the end in Pullman, I thought he was mailing it in big time. He might just be getting to that age.
He was absolutely checked out at the end. You get what you get with leach he’s gonna win a lot and run up stats against mediocre defenses and lose to the teams that are talented enough defensively to use his stubbornness against him and shove his face in his own turds. He will never win a conf championship. He won a lot of games against mediocre teams, made a lot of money, and will enjoy the hell out of key west when he hangs them up.

I’m still happy about the run when he was at WSU though- it was fun consistent winning football.

ASU and Colorado would never higher Leach, the liberal people there would throw a fit and prevent it from happening. We discussed this at length before Leach left, as appealing as he is as a coach, his appeal is limited to just a handful of universities that can afford him, and his views. Sad that it's come to that these days, but if you speak your mind and your view is not in agreement with the majority of the people at the university, you won't get hired. As long as someone is a good coach, doesn't matter to me which political direction he leans, as long as he gets the job done. I am sure there are many coaches that side with Leach when it comes to politics, but unlike Leach, they keep their mouth shut because it may limit their career opportunities. I find myself in disagreement with Leach over many things, but I admire him for speaking his piece of mind, and for the job he does on the field. Unfortunately, regardless of your career these days, you simply have to keep your mouth shut when it comes to politics, especially if you lean right at all.

I think it might have been Bar Stool Sports that wrote an article several years ago, as he was putting WSU back on the map, about the way Leach coaches and expresses his opinions, the punch line throughout the article was: "because Mike Leach doesn't give a $hit". It's why you either love him or hate him. I like Leach always will, he revived a WSU football program that was about to go into a deep dark hole after the original Turd days. I hate to imagine what WSU football would have looked like the last 10 years if he hadn't showed up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cougini5591
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT