ADVERTISEMENT

anybody still a fan of the "swinging gate" play?

COCoug

Hall Of Fame
Jan 23, 2004
Once again, it fooled nobody. If we want to throw a 30 yard pass we can do it on any play out of our base offense, and don't need to fling the ball diagonally to the line of scrimmage. Ditto for Williams throwing the ball. The Air Raid creates mismatches on every single play, we don't need gadgets. In my opinion, the risk/reward of these trick plays is much more risk than reward.

I love the play for the following reasons.

It breaks up the montonony of looks we do.

It makes the other team have to use practice time to try and understand it.

It offers a variety of creativity (so far we have seen it snap directly to James Williams, hand off to Williams, and a post route that could have been a TD)

Part of what makes the Air Raid successful is the defense not knowing where the ball is going and attacking space.

Big gulp does exactly that. It’s just 1/2 plays out of the 80+ we run a game.

Now for a DC on the other side you have to prepare for this weirdo thing. That’s precious prep time that you don’t have to spend on the bulk of what we do.

I love it.

Gardner didn't lead the WR that was one on one with half the field. Should've been a TD......

Once again, it fooled nobody. If we want to throw a 30 yard pass we can do it on any play out of our base offense, and don't need to fling the ball diagonally to the line of scrimmage. Ditto for Williams throwing the ball. The Air Raid creates mismatches on every single play, we don't need gadgets. In my opinion, the risk/reward of these trick plays is much more risk than reward.
As Brock said if Minshew doesn’t hesitate it was an easy TD. Post was open no safety help.

I liked that play and think it could've been a TD, as others said. I'd prefer to see a return to the 7 OL power formation we used to run, or the reverse wishbone backfield, but at least it's something different for defenses to study. The more of that Leach can create, the better

It was 1.5 seconds away from being an epic highlight. It was there.

Was it that play that Colorado got away with a PI on? There was one woulda-been TD that would have been PI on the Cougs 100 out of 100 times but Colo. didn't get called.

Was it that play that Colorado got away with a PI on? There was one woulda-been TD that would have been PI on the Cougs 100 out of 100 times but Colo. didn't get called.
It was boobies pass. Whoever was in the end zone got Moltened...my guess is the flag didn’t come out because it was a RB that threw the ball but it shouldn’t matter.

It was boobies pass. Whoever was in the end zone got Moltened...my guess is the flag didn’t come out because it was a RB that threw the ball but it shouldn’t matter.

Molton. The player who is the starting CB on one of the best defenses in the Pac 12. The player who sure, has a few PI's, half of which are pure bullshhhht. For every penalty you see, there are dozens of plays that he is having great coverage.

I know jokes are funny. But, personally I would rather make jokes at opposing teams expense, not our own players that are busting their butt. Sorry, I will get off my soapbox now.

Last edited:
I liked that play and think it could've been a TD, as others said. I'd prefer to see a return to the 7 OL power formation we used to run, or the reverse wishbone backfield, but at least it's something different for defenses to study. The more of that Leach can create, the better

Who's up for some "rump turn air raid"?

Let's get Walden on the phone.......

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
Molton. The player who is the starting CB on one of the best defenses in the Pac 12. The player who sure, has a few PI's, half of which are pure bullshhhht. For every penalty you see, there are dozens of plays that he is having great coverage.

I know jokes are funny. But, personally I would rather make jokes at opposing teams expense, not our own players that are busting their butt. Sorry, I will get off my soapbox now.

Molton has had two nice games back to back against Cal and Colorado.

Reactions: taf88
I'm fine with getting other stuff on tape that an opponent has to prep for, assuming the effort to get it in place on our side isn't terribly significant. Should have worked in this case, too, as others have noted.

I'm fine with getting other stuff on tape that an opponent has to prep for, assuming the effort to get it in place on our side isn't terribly significant. Should have worked in this case, too, as others have noted.
Honestly, this is true. Coaches will put things on tape knowing that the other team will have to spend practice time preparing for the plays.

It should have been a touchdown. If Winston comes back to the ball like he is supposed to he scores a touchdown or at the very least we have first down on the one yard line.

Met, I assume that a "Rump Turn Air Raid" call would have Minshew faking a handoff one way, only to spin, fake a throw downfield and then shovel pass the other way?

So many possibilities....!

Met, I assume that a "Rump Turn Air Raid" call would have Minshew faking a handoff one way, only to spin, fake a throw downfield and then shovel pass the other way?

So many possibilities....!
Honestly I picture counter step forward handoff fake to weakside back, spin to weakside (sort of a fake base spread option play from 2 backs) strongside back trails qb going away from all the blocking, with slotback coming across frontside, sort of a rump turn big gulp that gives a playfake into the blocking (or option to give) then backspin with a pitch option trailing and a jet sweep/shovel pass option from the slotback while Sweet blocks and Dillard pulls in front, maybe a deep post to give an RPO if the safeties sell out.

:D
Honestly I picture counter step forward handoff fake to weakside back, spin to weakside (sort of a fake base spread option play from 2 backs) strongside back trails qb going away from all the blocking, with slotback coming across frontside, sort of a rump turn big gulp that gives a playfake into the blocking (or option to give) then backspin with a pitch option trailing and a jet sweep/shovel pass option from the slotback while Sweet blocks and Dillard pulls in front, maybe a deep post to give an RPO if the safeties sell out.
Sweet would be blocking a backer. Just don’t see it:D;)

Wow, Random, would you please diagram that and post it? I'd love to see how many words you could spell with the result....;)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT