ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone read UW co-DC Jimmy Lake's comments about defending WSU?

YakiCoug

Hall Of Fame
Jan 6, 2003
Essentially, he said it is the UW staff's favorite game, because it's easy to game plan against. By extension, it's easy for them to contain the Air Raid. Four consecutive years holding the Air Raid to 17 or fewer points, he does make a good case. A dual-threat QB would probably make game planning difficult, but will Leach ever shake it up?

They were essentially in their base defense most of the game with the conferences best secondary. Add in drops and some off target throws and it's hard to dispute Lake's comments. Their defense is better than our offense when it comes down to it. I'm not sure how much system has to do with it but Lake has been quite vocal about it.

Essentially, he said it is the UW staff's favorite game, because it's easy to game plan against. By extension, it's easy for them to contain the Air Raid. Four consecutive years holding the Air Raid to 17 or fewer points, he does make a good case. A dual-threat QB would probably make game planning difficult, but will Leach ever shake it up?
I thought we'd run more against them. Our O line got manhandled, which I found very disappointing.

They were essentially in their base defense most of the game with the conferences best secondary. Add in drops and some off target throws and it's hard to dispute Lake's comments. Their defense is better than our offense when it comes down to it. I'm not sure how much system has to do with it but Lake has been quite vocal about it.

His tone appears to be one of ridicule.

I don't know who that is.

I hope he keeps this a secret because the rest of the PAC 12 hasn't figured this out yet.

These were double-down comments by Lake. He's always taken shots at Leach.

Let's not forget that UW had 3 first round picks on defense last season, and they're extremely talented this year. How many teams in our conference have that talent on defense? Answer: None.

Congrats Lake. You landed in a great situation. As for most P12 opponents, WSU can hang 50 on them. Don't Panic. UW and Colorado are very good teams.

He will eat his words at some point, and when he doesn't have 4 NFL players in the back end, Leach will have his backup QB throwing TDs in the fourth when we are already up 50. Until then, he gets to talk smack and act like he's the cryptonite to the Air Raid. The guys a total D Bag...anyone who's worth their salt as a coach doesn't need to run and find a reporter after the game to toot his own horn.

Lake's a Spokane kid (North Central 1995) who didn't get a sniff from WSU & played at EWU.

There's some bitterness there both personal & former fired staff connection for sure.

Choate said the same thing when he was there. Regrettably, he may be on to something.

These were double-down comments by Lake. He's always taken shots at Leach.

Let's not forget that UW had 3 first round picks on defense last season, and they're extremely talented this year. How many teams in our conference have that talent on defense? Answer: None.

Congrats Lake. You landed in a great situation. As for most P12 opponents, WSU can hang 50 on them. Don't Panic. UW and Colorado are very good teams.

I like it when CP is measured and not going off the rails (ie predict that Arizona will upset us).:D

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT