ADVERTISEMENT

Apple Cup Cancelled

I’d like to think they could reshuffle schedules and play it on another date. Good for the schools and the conference.

Bummer. Gotta say I’d rather have it be canceled than come into that game short handed. The 2s may have brought some energy to OSU but UW would have run all over our defense loaded with 2s. No need to watch that with a stomach full of leftover turkey.

There won’t be an Apple cup and it won’t be rescheduled. The one thing I am curious about, is where will the game be played next year? That will be the next debate. Most would assume the game will be in Pullman, but I am sure an argument will be made, by the U, that WSU “missed” their chance, and historically in odd number years the game has been in Seattle, even years in Pullman, Cougs had the Covid problem not the ewe.

There won’t be an Apple cup and it won’t be rescheduled. The one thing I am curious about, is where will the game be played next year? That will be the next debate. Most would assume the game will be in Pullman, but I am sure an argument will be made, by the U, that WSU “missed” their chance, and historically in odd number years the game has been in Seattle, even years in Pullman, Cougs had the Covid problem not the ewe.

It should be played in Seattle next year. I'm generally of the "them's the breaks" mindset. This was our year, COVID blew it up, and the bottom line is that WSU cancelled the game this year, not UW.

UW shouldn't be guilted into reversing the historical even/odd year schedule, and WSU should be above asking for it. Move on from 2020 like it never happened.

Last edited:
It should be played in Seattle next year. I'm generally of the "them's the breaks" mindset. This was our year, COVID blew it up, and the bottom line is that WSU cancelled the game this year, not UW.

UW shouldn't be guilted into reversing the historical even/odd year schedule, and WSU should be above asking for it. Move on from 2020 like it never happened.

Completely agree. Its not like fans were robbed of a chance to attend because of the cancellation.

Reactions: Cougzz and Coug90
Completely agree. Its not like fans were robbed of a chance to attend because of the cancellation.

I agree, completely; however some fans will say that we did lose our chance to attend because COVID took away a home apple cup from us.

While that's true, little ole' WSU should tread lightly on the "it's not fair" stuff, given our TV market and fan base size. Every team in the conference can point to what they lost this year.

IMO they should reset the schedule. Wouldn’t be that hard. Literally any post 2000 scheduling software and someone who can put together an excel spreadsheet could create a schedule for the entire NCAA in 10 minutes.
Fans couldn’t attend this year, a bunch of games canceled. This year should be a wash entirely for scheduling purposes.

IMO they should reset the schedule. Wouldn’t be that hard. Literally any post 2000 scheduling software and someone who can put together an excel spreadsheet could create a schedule for the entire NCAA in 10 minutes.
Fans couldn’t attend this year, a bunch of games canceled. This year should be a wash entirely for scheduling purposes.

I don't hate the logic, but how do you blend that with the games that have already been played? Does Oregon have to play in Pullman again next season? Do we go to Oregon State again? Does Mississippi State have to go back to LSU? Clemson back to Notre Dame? USC back to Utah?

Right or wrong, we're just going to have to turn the page and move on.

I don't hate the logic, but how do you blend that with the games that have already been played? Does Oregon have to play in Pullman again next season? Do we go to Oregon State again? Does Mississippi State have to go back to LSU? Clemson back to Notre Dame? USC back to Utah?

Right or wrong, we're just going to have to turn the page and move on.
Well I’m looking at it from a PAC-12 perspective where you are going to have teams who have only played a few games. Something like this could and I imagine would be done on a conference by conference basis. I suspect this year won’t factor into next years scheduling though so I won’t get my wish.

Maybe someone knows the answer without a lot of research needing to be done, but how many consecutive years has the Apple Cup been played? Just noticed that Wisconsin-Minnesota is breaking a 113-year streak.

Glad Cougar

I would love to see this if only so we can get UW and Oregon home/road in alternating years.

Maybe the single biggest factor in the discrepancy in wins/losses in this series has been the fact we are home during "even" years. If this gets flipped then we may see a reversal in the results consistent with what we've seen up to this point!

It's the main reason teams switch sides each quarter and tennis does after every 6 games.

Playing next year in Pullman and every other year after that is the best way to tie this series by 2134! That's all I have to say about that!

Reactions: SDCoug and 79COUG
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT