ADVERTISEMENT

Apple Cup Giving Challenge

Flatlandcoug

Hall Of Fame
Aug 14, 2007
Wichita, Kansas
I'm sure that most of you have seen this, but there is a Athletic Fund Challenge between UW and WSU this week to see who can raise the most money for their respective athletic funds. We are kicking UW's ass pretty handily ($164,000 to $23,500). If another $11,000 is raised, one of the WSU backers of the challenge will kick in another $25,000.

Site Link

I made my donation a short while ago. Hope everyone here considers chipping in.

I'm sure that most of you have seen this, but there is a Athletic Fund Challenge between UW and WSU this week to see who can raise the most money for their respective athletic funds. We are kicking UW's ass pretty handily ($164,000 to $23,500). If another $11,000 is raised, one of the WSU backers of the challenge will kick in another $25,000.

Site Link

Thanks for posting Flat, I contributed. I enjoy kicking the huskies asses in anything.

Site Link

I think Glenn Osterhout (sp?) is donating over $100K if 100 Cougs donate to this. I assume we've well exceeded that, but none the less. Between what's been given, and the couple matches, this could approach $300K.

I hope that would help get the IPF going, which could be very timely.

From the email I received today, WSU has 1021 gifts to Udumps measly 185.

Alumni engagement by WSU has always seemed greater. It’s good to be a Coug.

Do the donations count towards next seasons giving level requirements?
Great question! We could earn some extra donations over $25 and catchup for this year.

But no, from the email:

Donations to the Unleash Excellence Fund will notcount toward any seat donation requirement for season tickets. However, donations to the Unleash Excellence Fund will count toward priority allocation, CAF membership level, and CAF rank.

Well, even though they extended the contest to see if there are any more donors out there, at the end of the scheduled completion of the contest it looks like WSU crushed UW $235,500 to $55,400. A total of 1150 Cougs donated vs 247 mutts. Of note, $25,000 from WSU was an incentive donation, but $35,000 of UW's from incentive donations, meaning that we actually beat them $225,000 to $20,000 when it comes to people who donated spontaneously based on the contest.

WSU needs this to be an annual thing because WSU fans have shown up both times this was done (paint the space needle was the last one that I remember). I do think it shows that on average, WSU fans are more emotionally invested in their school than UW fans are. Despite having a much larger alumni base (and fanbase?), we've kicked their butts both times on these types of contests. The t-shirt wearing BCC grads just don't pony up money for these types of things.

Well, even though they extended the contest to see if there are any more donors out there, at the end of the scheduled completion of the contest it looks like WSU crushed UW $235,500 to $55,400. A total of 1150 Cougs donated vs 247 mutts. Of note, $25,000 from WSU was an incentive donation, but $35,000 of UW's from incentive donations, meaning that we actually beat them $225,000 to $20,000 when it comes to people who donated spontaneously based on the contest.

WSU needs this to be an annual thing because WSU fans have shown up both times this was done (paint the space needle was the last one that I remember). I do think it shows that on average, WSU fans are more emotionally invested in their school than UW fans are. Despite having a much larger alumni base (and fanbase?), we've kicked their butts both times on these types of contests. The t-shirt wearing BCC grads just don't pony up money for these types of things.
Make it monthly. I’d get fired up and donate every time.

Or, it shows UW boosters donate already and don't feel the need to win contests like this.

This was great for WSU and irrelevant for UW.

Reactions: dgibbons
Or, it shows UW boosters donate already and don't feel the need to win contests like this.

This was great for WSU and irrelevant for UW.

My one thought is that the UW fans that care all buy season tickets to football and donate to get seats there. WSU, with a small stadium that is harder to get to, has a fanbase that has a willingness to donate if they feel like they get something out of it (win a contest, get a pennant, beat the mutts). The 10 hour roundtrip from Seattle to Pullman means that we are never going to be able to build a 70,000 seat stadium like the mutts.

Just so you know, you can set up a monthly donation.

Coug90's comment falls in line with what I said. Fans want to donate if they feel like it's going to make a difference. We can bullsh!t ourselves all we want, but 1000 donations of $100 each will do absolutely nothing for our standing in the athletic department donation world. "Oh wow, we are only $8 million behind instead of $9 million!" WSU has the challenge of figuring out how to separate Coug fans from their money without season tickets and parking passes as the incentive.

Reactions: Coug90
Just so you know, you can set up a monthly donation.
I’m well aware, I prefer to donate annually. I just think these things are great for encouraging additional giving. Especially with the younger generations that are on social media all the time. And it pumps me up to contribute more especially when others commit big donations when certain levels are achieved.

These are the types of fundraising efforts Chun has done a great job promoting where Moos failed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT