ADVERTISEMENT

Are the Transfer Portal + NIL the straws that break the camel's back?

chipdouglas

Hall Of Fame
Mar 16, 2005
Injuries have always been a problem in CFB affecting bowl participation. Then, around 5-10 years ago (?), top prospects started buying draft insurance. In 2022-23, even marginal prospects are just sitting out the entire bowl season. And now, we've added a transfer portal which allows kids to be practicing with a new squad within a few months, AND NIL to inspire even more in-season movement. Keeping in mind that most of these players have feasted on scholarship money and/or NIL cash, take a look at these lists of key players and coaches who are AWOL for bowl season for one of the above reasons:
  • Tennessee/Clemson: UT missing QB1 to injury, missing WR1 and WR2 to the draft. Clemson missed QB1 to injury and lost a bunch of players to the portal
  • Iowa/Kentucky: Iowa missing QB1 to injury, QB2 to portal, and had to play QB3 who had never taken a college snap. Kentucky missing QB1 and RB1 and a CB to the draft, as well as the OC
  • Texas/UW: Texas missed RB1 and I think RB2 to the draft
  • Oklahoma/FSU: half of Oklahoma's DL/OL declared
  • Oregon/NC: both teams' OCs were gone, and both teams missing a bunch of players to portal and draft
  • WSU/Fresno: half of our team left plus our DC; Fresno missed a DB to the draft
Read through this list. In at least half of cases, the top ~2 players on every team skipped bowl season for draft or portal, including on teams playing in consequential bowl games. Others were lost to the normal stuff like injuries. I'm stunned at the number of coordinators and HCs who announced they were leaving their programs and aren't even coaching through the bowl games.

Is this even fun anymore?

Injuries have always been a problem in CFB affecting bowl participation. Then, around 5-10 years ago (?), top prospects started buying draft insurance. In 2022-23, even marginal prospects are just sitting out the entire bowl season. And now, we've added a transfer portal which allows kids to be practicing with a new squad within a few months, AND NIL to inspire even more in-season movement. Keeping in mind that most of these players have feasted on scholarship money and/or NIL cash, take a look at these lists of key players and coaches who are AWOL for bowl season for one of the above reasons:
  • Tennessee/Clemson: UT missing QB1 to injury, missing WR1 and WR2 to the draft. Clemson missed QB1 to injury and lost a bunch of players to the portal
  • Iowa/Kentucky: Iowa missing QB1 to injury, QB2 to portal, and had to play QB3 who had never taken a college snap. Kentucky missing QB1 and RB1 and a CB to the draft, as well as the OC
  • Oregon/NC: both teams' OCs were gone, and both teams missing a bunch of players to portal and draft
  • WSU/Fresno: half of our team left plus our DC; Fresno missed a DB to the draft
Read through this list. In at least half of cases, the top ~2 players on every team skipped bowl season for draft or portal, including on teams playing in consequential bowl games. Others were lost to the normal stuff like injuries. I'm stunned at the number of coordinators and HCs who announced they were leaving their programs and aren't even coaching through the bowl games.

Add a bigger playoff so more teams are involved…. giving kids and coaches higher stakes, higher profile games to play in and coach in to show their talents.

Leave the portal closed for kids until their school’s season is over. Or just don’t open it until the entire season is over.

Funny how there is a league doing very, very well that has already worked thru a lot of these issues but no one in the NCAA wants to use them as a guideline or place for ideas.

Iowas qb 3 joey labas was better than qb 1 and 2 but that was an anomaly. Iowa is a weird team ranked 130th in offense, they have a top ten defense and the best punter in the country. they literally can beat you 3-2.

Ive always been a much bigger college football fan than NFL. I see that changing rapidly.

It's why I've completely switched to watching EPL with more regularity. CFB/NFL don't hold the value to me as they did 10 years ago, and I watch it more because it's on and not because I'm chomping at the bit to watch a matchup.

I think the NFL model is perfect to produce so many last possession games. It’s truly genius.
Oh yes it’s very perfect, especially when it comes to the betting line and o/u

google “jake the @sshole YouTube” and watch some of his videos. Some really suspect stuff there.

Make sure viewers are watching all 4 quarters so you can sell ads.
ESPN broadcasts in particular have become unbearable. Wanna watch a 5-hour bowl game between teams who have lost half their roster to the portal, draft or injuries? <60 minutes of actual play stretched across half a day FFS

Reactions: Chucksizzle1
One of the fun things about bowl games was the unusual matchups. For instance, you have to go back to 1993 to find the last time Georgia played Ohio State. Winning was for pride and school honor.

Not anymore - everything is a business decision now that essentially revolves around money, bc every transfer decision or sit-out is done with the hope of maximizing one's NFL potential and pay.

One of the fun things about bowl games was the unusual matchups. For instance, you have to go back to 1993 to find the last time Georgia played Ohio State. Winning was for pride and school honor.

Not anymore - everything is a business decision now that essentially revolves around money, bc every transfer decision or sit-out is done with the hope of maximizing one's NFL potential and pay.

Unless you are Borghi and Harris. Then you just end your playing career early. I think Harris caught on in the CFL tho.

It sucks. I’d rather watch NAIA, d3, d2 or FCS playoff games.
It’s heading that way. The powers that be dumbed down and destroyed college basketball by making it nba lite and they are doing the same to college football. as you say the pure sport will still exist at d2 and high school. I’ll always root for the underdog teams, low budget but playing for the love of the game. One reason I always rooted for Leach.

Reactions: Wazzubrooz
It’s heading that way. The powers that be dumbed down and destroyed college basketball by making it nba lite and they are doing the same to college football. as you say the pure sport will still exist at d2 and high school. I’ll always root for the underdog teams, low budget but playing for the love of the game. One reason I always rooted for Leach.

Coaching is going to have to change. You can’t run kids out there trying to out talent teams with more talent. Which is why I say the air raid is the new wishbone. Everyone runs air raid concepts. It’s old.

It’s time to innovate. Or, actually revisit power run games that use schemes/formations that give you an advantage.

The days of lining up 4 wide and having more athletes than the defense and some radical spread offense are over.

Coaching is going to have to change. You can’t run kids out there trying to out talent teams with more talent. Which is why I say the air raid is the new wishbone. Everyone runs air raid concepts. It’s old.

It’s time to innovate. Or, actually revisit power run games that use schemes/formations that give you an advantage.

The days of lining up 4 wide and having more athletes than the defense and some radical spread offense are over.
the more it’s about money with no rules, then the have nots are going to have to outscheme even more.

the air raid is about as far as you can get from out talenting someone. it’s a scheme for underdog teams. Leach proved that And there are easy reasons behind it.

you can say it needs to be tweaked, I’m not disagreeing with that. Run more out of it, use tight ends, may be a good idea.

if I have better lineman than you, better backs and recieversnthan you I’m going to lineup and smash mouth you. Come right at you. If not I need some deception, something that’s hard to prepare for. the triple option or flex bone does that very well at the high school level and probably still could at the college level.

the more it’s about money with no rules, then the have nots are going to have to outscheme even more.

the air raid is about as far as you can get from out talenting someone. it’s a scheme for underdog teams. Leach proved that And there are easy reasons behind it.

you can say it needs to be tweaked, I’m not disagreeing with that. Run more out of it, use tight ends, may be a good idea.

if I have better lineman than you, better backs and recieversnthan you I’m going to lineup and smash mouth you. Come right at you. If not I need some deception, something that’s hard to prepare for. the triple option or flex bone does that very well at the high school level and probably still could at the college level.

Running qbs are the future of football. It stresses the defense too much.

I think coaches will find that they like having their jobs and big checks more than trying to run some scheme recruits believe will get them to the NFL.

Rpo is here to stay.

Running qb who can actually read a defense and throw well is a great value and not easy to find. The scheme they play behind has to be more than just a basic RPO If you are a small under talented cash poor program.

the air raid with a qb who is mobile is the best option IMO, that’s the direction leach was heading to with the qb parson he just recruited. A kid who could throw and run equally well.

Running qb who can actually read a defense and throw well is a great value and not easy to find. The scheme they play behind has to be more than just a basic RPO If you are a small under talented cash poor program.

the air raid with a qb who is mobile is the best option IMO, that’s the direction leach was heading to with the qb parson he just recruited. A kid who could throw and run equally well.

If the air raid survives its because the qb ran the ball.

I’d like to see a coordinator actually make the offense easy for qbs rather than bury qbs in so many routes, motions, protections, reads, concepts, etc that they take talented kids and drown them.

If the air raid survives its because the qb ran the ball.

I’d like to see a coordinator actually make the offense easy for qbs rather than bury qbs in so many routes, motions, protections, reads, concepts, etc that they take talented kids and drown them.
qb needs to be mobile but doesn’t have to run the ball a lot especially if the air raid is adapted for more runs like we are seeing now. adding a tight end and running more seem like the way most of the former Leach assistants are doing it.

qb needs to be mobile but doesn’t have to run the ball a lot especially if the air raid is adapted for more runs like we are seeing now. adding a tight end and running more seem like the way most of the former Leach assistants are doing it.

Again, everyone is doing it. What’s the point?

You can’t say every team is running air raid. They aren’t. just because somebody runs crossing routes doesn’t make it an air raid offense.

Correct, not every team is running the air raid. But the concepts and schemes are in the DNA of every passing game. Every defense sees it in practice. Every offense runs it in practice. If you want the benefit of being different, the air raid ain’t it.

so if Leach was still in his prime at WSU right now, could he still win 9,10,11 games a year, assuming he got to keep his coaching staff in one piece ?

of course he could, he won 9 this year and would have won 10+ next year with a veteran team returning and a much easier schedule.

so the air raid still works and is not outdated or obsolete.

there isn’t another Leach out there but there are some good coaches who can still make the basic system successful for underdog programs. Some of the tweaks probably improve it if it fits your Personnel.

it’s not the only offense, but it worked well for WSU. I think there’s a common theme there why it worked so well at Tech, WSU and MSU. It’s a good offense if you have less talent and money than the other guys.

same idea of why the 3-3-5 works well for small programs that can’t get the blue chip d lineman. 200-225 pound guys that can run aren’t hard to find. Just like there’s no shortage of quick receivers that can run x,y,z and the slot.

O lineman can be built I agree, based on Leachs success I think he and Mason Miller have proven you don’t need five star o lineman, if you can get the 6-5, 6-6 kids with good footwork 3 stars, you can build them in them weight room to be very effective pass blockers.

The option was what stuck with everyone watching the wishbone. But it was often deadliest when the REST of the power running scheme you could use off that formation got deployed. Option was boom and bust, but teams got like 8 yards a carry just blasting people off-tackle or running counter plays from the wishbone.

To me the portal should be an offseason operation. Open it the day after the title game, close it like August 1st. Dropping the roster size is an idea I'm coming around to as well. 70 schollies/85 total, or 70 total, I'm open to either. But it has to be the full roster, not just scholarships, otherwise walk-ons will get NIL rides and we're back to the '70s again. I honestly don't know what to do about the draft element. That's a straight up business decision that only playoff games could challenge, and I may not like it, but I understand it.

so if Leach was still in his prime at WSU right now, could he still win 9,10,11 games a year, assuming he got to keep his coaching staff in one piece ?

of course he could, he won 9 this year and would have won 10+ next year with a veteran team returning and a much easier schedule.

so the air raid still works and is not outdated or obsolete.

there isn’t another Leach out there but there are some good coaches who can still make the basic system successful for underdog programs. Some of the tweaks probably improve it if it fits your Personnel.

it’s not the only offense, but it worked well for WSU. I think there’s a common theme there why it worked so well at Tech, WSU and MSU. It’s a good offense if you have less talent and money than the other guys.

same idea of why the 3-3-5 works well for small programs that can’t get the blue chip d lineman. 200-225 pound guys that can run aren’t hard to find. Just like there’s no shortage of quick receivers that can run x,y,z and the slot.

O lineman can be built I agree, based on Leachs success I think he and Mason Miller have proven you don’t need five star o lineman, if you can get the 6-5, 6-6 kids with good footwork 3 stars, you can build them in them weight room to be very effective pass blockers.

His air raid score 19 yesterday. Air raid is good for 21 points per game.

Why dont you look at WSUs stats this season. How many touchdowns did the Coug Raid score in 13 games?

The air raid is over. Blue bloods don’t run in it because they don’t need to. And the middle and lower class teams that do score 21 and hope its enough.

It’s over.

The option was what stuck with everyone watching the wishbone. But it was often deadliest when the REST of the power running scheme you could use off that formation got deployed. Option was boom and bust, but teams got like 8 yards a carry just blasting people off-tackle or running counter plays from the wishbone.

Yep. Out numbering people at the line of scrimmage gives you another aspect of winning football… over powering them.

The future of football is a running qb and tight ends. Teams don’t have access to pocket passers and Randy Moss clones every year. Coaches still have to win to keep their jobs. There are more running qbs than pocket passers. There are more tight end bodies than track stars. Easier scheme to recruit to and use consistently.

Or, Coug Raid for 7-6 season and 7th place finish.

Why dont you look at WSUs stats this season. How many touchdowns did the Coug Raid score in 13 games?

The air raid is over. Blue bloods don’t run in it because they don’t need to. And the middle and lower class teams that do score 21 and hope its enough.

It’s over.

and won....

They went 9-4, ranked 22, won their bowl game, beat 2 ranked teams, Texas A&M and Ole Miss. Their only losses were to ranked teams, 3 of them being to #1 Georgia, Bama, and LSU. I wish we were in their shoes.

It’s over.
Air raid was playing without an oc yesterday,air raid was playing #2 defense in the country, one game doesn’t mean anything. Air went 11-2 in 2018

Reactions: acgcoug
Yep. Out numbering people at the line of scrimmage gives you another aspect of winning football… over powering them.

The future of football is a running qb and tight ends. Teams don’t have access to pocket passers and Randy Moss clones every year. Coaches still have to win to keep their jobs. There are more running qbs than pocket passers. There are more tight end bodies than track stars. Easier scheme to recruit to and use consistently.

Or, Coug Raid for 7-6 season and 7th place finish.
No there are not more tight end bodies than fast receivers

and won....

They went 9-4, ranked 22, won their bowl game, beat 2 ranked teams, Texas A&M and Ole Miss. Their only losses were to ranked teams, 3 of them being to #1 Georgia, Bama, and LSU. I wish we were in their shoes.

If those are their goals then they nailed it. If their goals are to be more than that, they’d better get to thinking.

Air raid was playing without an oc yesterday,air raid was playing #2 defense in the country, one game doesn’t mean anything. Air went 11-2 in 2018

Horse shit. You are picking only the best of the air raid and not acknowledging the entirety of it. You cannot point to one game or one season and use it to defend your point while also pointing to one game or one season and use it to debase someone else’s point.

and won....

Yea I dont See how you can say it’s obsolete when it’s succeeding in the sec with the least talent and the least money for any school,other than Vanderbilt.

Reactions: acgcoug
To me the portal should be an offseason operation. Open it the day after the title game, close it like August 1st. Dropping the roster size is an idea I'm coming around to as well. 70 schollies/85 total, or 70 total, I'm open to either. But it has to be the full roster, not just scholarships, otherwise walk-ons will get NIL rides and we're back to the '70s again. I honestly don't know what to do about the draft element. That's a straight up business decision that only playoff games could challenge, and I may not like it, but I understand it.
100%

On the draft part though, IMO if you're taking scholarship or NIL money provided to you by some combination of state/fed gov, fans, boosters, alumni and other students, you OWE your talents to the university and the benefactors who underwrote it all.

CFB is now de facto paid, professional football, and you're telling me you're gonna take their money in exchange for your talents, but also skip snaps to protect your ability to take even more money? This is a de facto contract now. Sitting out made sense when these guys attended college not because of the scholarships but in spite of them (i.e., most of the best prospects don't even get accepted w/o football talents, and wouldn't even take classes if they weren't forced to). Now that these guys are taking cash... sorry, you're not allowed to take it AND choose not to participate. There's nowhere else that flies.

Add to that in-season portal transfers, injuries and the usual roster/coaching turnover... the NCAA has created an absolute mess for everyone.

Horse shit. You are picking only the best of the air raid and not acknowledging the entirety of it. You cannot point to one game or one season and use it to defend your point while also pointing to one game or one season and use it to debase someone else’s point.
There’s a big difference between a whole season and one game when the team has no offensive coordinator and is playing the #2 defense in the country. We all got to see the air raid for several years. It is a system that works on a low budget without a lot of 4 star talent

There’s a big difference between a whole season and one game when the team has no offensive coordinator and is playing the #2 defense in the country. We all got to see the air raid for several years. It is a system that works on a low budget without a lot of 4 star talent

It also has an enormous amount of flaws and finished 6-7 with a whimper in its last game at WSU under Leach.

When the guru of the offense has taken it as far as it’s gonna go, it’s done.

If your goal as a middle class or lower class program is to have a punchers chance and wind up around 500 or maybe a lil better, fine. Mediocrity deserves applause.

100%

On the draft part though, IMO if you're taking scholarship or NIL money provided to you by some combination of state/fed gov, fans, boosters, alumni and other students, you OWE your talents to the university and the benefactors who underwrote it all.

CFB is now de facto paid, professional football, and you're telling me you're gonna take their money in exchange for your talents, but also skip snaps to protect your ability to take even more money? This is a de facto contract now. Sitting out made sense when these guys attended college not because of the scholarships but in spite of them (i.e., most of the best prospects don't even get accepted w/o football talents, and wouldn't even take classes if they weren't forced to). Now that these guys are taking cash... sorry, you're not allowed to take it AND choose not to participate. There's nowhere else that flies.

Add to that in-season portal transfers, injuries and the usual roster/coaching turnover... the NCAA has created an absolute mess for everyone.

The portal should absolutely be for the offseason. That's change #1 - it doesn't open until the day after the NC game is played.

Here's change #2: there are 2 portal windows. The first opens the day after the NC, and stays open for 2 weeks. The second opens the day after spring ball ends, and is open for 3 weeks.

Here's the conditions:
  • To transfer during the first window, you must have participated in your current team's full season, including postseason games. Exceptions are allowed for verified injuries only.
  • You are not eligible to play the following season:
    • If you transfer outside of the approved portal window,
    • If it can be shown that a team contacted any player before they declared their entry to the portal, and the player transfers to that school
Additional changes:
  • Base roster limit of 70 (or 75) for all teams
  • Teams who accept portal transfers from another team at the same level have their roster limit reduced by 1 for each player accepted (meaning, if an FBS team takes a portal player from another FBS team, their limit falls to 69. No penalty if the player comes from FCS.) The team who loses the player gets +1 to their roster limit (and I'd be open to +2 if the player is a starter).
  • Players must be academically eligible at the initial institution in order to enter the portal.
  • No more redshirts. All players have 5 years to play 200 quarters (postseason and OT don't count). Transfers outside of portal windows lose 48 quarters.
  • Medical extension year (1 max) added for any player who loses 25 or more consecutive quarters to injury in at least 2 seasons. The participation limit stays at 200 quarters, you just get an extra year to reach it.
This at least creates some incentive to play in bowl games - although it doesn't impact those players who are entering the draft. It should eliminate the exodus we had this year. Also eliminates teams like USC taking 20+ transfers. It spreads talent around more, and creates a disincentive to stockpile it.

Reactions: chipdouglas
It also has an enormous amount of flaws and finished 6-7 with a whimper in its last game at WSU under Leach.

When the guru of the offense has taken it as far as it’s gonna go, it’s done.

If your goal as a middle class or lower class program is to have a punchers chance and wind up around 500 or maybe a lil better, fine. Mediocrity deserves applause.
It was another step in the football evolution. Just like the forward pass, the option, the West Coast offense, the Run & SHoot, etc. Offenses come up with something new, and run wild with it for a few years. Defenses come up with a way to counter it, and bring it back to earth for a while, until someone comes up with something else.

Most offenses now incorporate AR concepts...just like they adopted West Coast, R&S, etc. It's just the next link in the chain. And those things have been around long enough that defenses are compensating. The next thing on offense is the mobile QB...which has been coming for 15 years, but they're just starting to proliferate, and they tend to have short shelf lives. But they add a dimension to any offensive scheme that defenses haven't really countered yet.

There've been numerous discussions here dating back years, imagining how successful Leach would be if he had adapted his offense. The stubborn refusal to run, even when the defense was daring him to, was a weakness. Failing to evolve is how you become irrelevant in football.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT