ADVERTISEMENT

Arizona Coach - here's a concept

Loyal Coug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 27, 2003
So the Arizona boards say that Big Joe has applied to be the head coach at his alma mater. (sorry too lazy to find the link). Same article says that Samoan pipeline disappeared when Rich"Rod" came along.

So how about this - a coaching staff solely or predominantly filled by Samoans? Get Marques Tui-whatever on staff ( I know he's in the Pac-12 - UCLA?), etc etc.

How about that for a recruiting machine for that little island and it's descendants?

So the Arizona boards say that Big Joe has applied to be the head coach at his alma mater. (sorry too lazy to find the link). Same article says that Samoan pipeline disappeared when Rich"Rod" came along.

So how about this - a coaching staff solely or predominantly filled by Samoans? Get Marques Tui-whatever on staff ( I know he's in the Pac-12 - UCLA?), etc etc.

How about that for a recruiting machine for that little island and it's descendants?

Sounds good to me. I'll put in my resume'.

Picking your coaching staff to appeal to one group of people will probably end up costing you other recruits because people tend to notice that kind of hiring choice. You want a good mix of coaches who are hired based on their knowledge of the sport rather than their ability to recruit a particular group of people. Should every team try to have a quality coach of Samoan or Pacific Islander descent? I'd say yes......maybe even a couple, but you want the Roy Manning's and Alex Grinch's to go with the Samoan guys.

Reactions: earldacoug
Picking your coaching staff to appeal to one group of people will probably end up costing you other recruits because people tend to notice that kind of hiring choice. You want a good mix of coaches who are hired based on their knowledge of the sport rather than their ability to recruit a particular group of people. Should every team try to have a quality coach of Samoan or Pacific Islander descent? I'd say yes......maybe even a couple, but you want the Roy Manning's and Alex Grinch's to go with the Samoan guys.

Agreed, not to mention that it would be overkill to hire a bunch of Samoan coaches just to try to land realistic Samoan / Poly targets. If Joe was the head coach, you can bet they'd have no problem getting Samoan kids who were realistic U of A targets. I haven't paid close attention to what Sitake has done at BYU but I'd expect he's landed a lot of Samoan kids (granting that BYU tended to get a fair number anyway).

Also, Flat doesn't say it explicitly, but I will -- if you hire a bunch of Samoan coaches and position things like you're the "Samoan" team, you run some risk of kids of other backgrounds thinking they might not be in the center of things culturally or, worse yet, might even face an uphill climb to playing time, etc. (not that this would occur, just saying that impression might be there). I think coaching staffs ideally should have guys with a diversity of backgrounds for recruiting purposes.

Reactions: earldacoug
Agreed, not to mention that it's overkill. If Joe was the head coach, you can bet they'd have no problem getting Samoan kids who were realistic U of A targets. I haven't paid close attention to what Sitake has done at BYU but I'd expect he's landed a lot of Samoan kids (granting that BYU tended to get a fair number anyway).[/

You all (so far) are missing the point of this thread - half in jest, half serious.

How many Samoan / Polynesian Power 5 (or equivalent quality) players are on rosters? Can you fill a competitive team? With a probable need to fill missing positions with non-Polys. Not too many Poly kickers out there. So you need to have a non-Poly coach or 2 on staff.

What Poly athlete would not want to come to Arizona with a staff of 6-7 Polys and a welcoming, great Pac-12 experience and education?

BYU's coach essentially did that and the other cougs plummeted.One needs to hire coaches based on their abilities not there ethnicity or because they hoist a few beers together.One needs to have a mixture of personalities on their staff also. I do not think that Joe S is head coaching material ,but what do i know? I predict that he does not have a chance at the Arizona job/

You all (so far) are missing the point of this thread - half in jest, half serious.

How many Samoan / Polynesian Power 5 (or equivalent quality) players are on rosters? Can you fill a competitive team? With a probable need to fill missing positions with non-Polys. Not too many Poly kickers out there. So you need to have a non-Poly coach or 2 on staff.

What Poly athlete would not want to come to Arizona with a staff of 6-7 Polys and a welcoming, great Pac-12 experience and education?

My first line of my post (that I deleted before posting) was going to be that I don't believe that you can field a competitive team of just Samoans. For one, Samoans/polys tend to be OL/DL/LB's overall. There are obvious exceptions and in theory, if you got every talented Poly to commit to your team, you'd be ok, but that brings point two. Other schools are still going to be trying to get those guys too and you won't get them all. Third, it would be pretty damned racist for a school to hire their coaching staff solely on ethnicity and they would lose in the court of public opinion without a doubt and would likely be opening themselves up to a legal challenge of racial discrimination.

Then
My first line of my post (that I deleted before posting) was going to be that I don't believe that you can field a competitive team of just Samoans. For one, Samoans/polys tend to be OL/DL/LB's overall. There are obvious exceptions and in theory, if you got every talented Poly to commit to your team, you'd be ok, but that brings point two. Other schools are still going to be trying to get those guys too and you won't get them all. Third, it would be pretty damned racist for a school to hire their coaching staff solely on ethnicity and they would lose in the court of public opinion without a doubt and would likely be opening themselves up to a legal challenge of racial discrimination.
You'd have part goers targeting EVERY football player and not to mention pizza sales plummeting because they won't actually give the pizza to the players once they've ordered. Frat boys would be up in arms because the future NFL player and handsome Poly player is attracting all the women. Just say NO people! Just say no.

Reactions: Flatlandcoug
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT