ADVERTISEMENT

Arizona

Up 10 at the half. Nice to get the last second 3 from Bamba. Hopefully that gets him off.

Up 17 w/ 10:24 to go. Rodman stepped on out. Ballo hit in the knee out.

Last edited:
Need to get to at least 68. We are draining the clock before getting into offense on most possessions.

Great win. I didn't see this coming.

Even when we were up by 10 points with 1:27 to go I felt like we had a 50/50 chance to win. Such is the outlook of a long-time Wazzu fan.

I hate Arizona perhaps the most in the league. They cheated and their admin knew they cheated under Miller and just pretended they did nothing wrong. But my hate for them goes back much further.

Anyway, great to see a win over a top 5 team on the road. History making!

Reactions: 79COUG
Great win. I didn't see this coming.

Even when we were up by 10 points with 1:27 to go I felt like we had a 50/50 chance to win. Such is the outlook of a long-time Wazzu fan.

I hate Arizona perhaps the most in the league. They cheated and their admin knew they cheated under Miller and just pretended they did nothing wrong. But my hate for them goes back much further.

Anyway, great to see a win over a top 5 team on the road. History making!
I felt pretty good up 10 with 1:27 to go. I was downright depressed when Arizona cut the lead to 5 with 5 minutes still to go. I've seen that story too many times. We could certainly use a Taylor Rochestie type who you could count on to get the ball up court and make the free throws when fouled.
Anyway, a great win.

Semi Dominating Win over Top 5 in nation Arizona on the road by 13, was up 17, lead most to almost whole game.

Gueye 23 points and 14 rebounds, beated, dominated NBA Ballo.

Ken Pom, others have WSU as BEST 7-10 team in all of College Basketballdom , and the media experts are saying, recognizing that the reason WSU doesn't have a better, winning record, etc, is because of INJURIES, and having to replace a lot to semi most of team, and that new pieces, players, team, needed to integrate, Jell, develop Chemistry, learn to play together, learn how to win, and combined that WSU played UNLV, Baylor, BSU, Texas St, Hawaii, Utah St, etc, a lot of NIT, NCAA tourney teams that went to NIT, NCAA tourny last year combined with tough beginning PAC 12 schedule.

Just imagine if WSU had Jackson too, and imagine how awesome WSU will be if, when, if WSU gets Jackson back before end of season, etc.

Also imagine how even more Awesome WSU will be next season when WSU gets Chinyelu, Cliff, and if WSU retains most players for a NCAA Tourny run next season.

WSU will probably win 13,14,15,16,17 games and go deep in NIT, CBI, PAC 12 tourny, etc, if, assuming WSU stays HEALTHY.

Reactions: M-I-Coug
Semi Dominating Win over Top 5 in nation Arizona on the road by 13, was up 17, lead most to almost whole game.

Gueye 23 points and 14 rebounds, beated, dominated NBA Ballo.

Ken Pom, others have WSU as BEST 7-10 team in all of College Basketballdom , and the media experts are saying, recognizing that the reason WSU doesn't have a better, winning record, etc, is because of INJURIES, and having to replace a lot to semi most of team, and that new pieces, players, team, needed to integrate, Jell, develop Chemistry, learn to play together, learn how to win, and combined that WSU played UNLV, Baylor, BSU, Texas St, Hawaii, Utah St, etc, a lot of NIT, NCAA tourney teams that went to NIT, NCAA tourny last year combined with tough beginning PAC 12 schedule.

Just imagine if WSU had Jackson too, and imagine how awesome WSU will be if, when, if WSU gets Jackson back before end of season, etc.

Also imagine how even more Awesome WSU will be next season when WSU gets Chinyelu, Cliff, and if WSU retains most players for a NCAA Tourny run next season.

WSU will probably win 13,14,15,16,17 games and go deep in NIT, CBI, PAC 12 tourny, etc, if, assuming WSU stays HEALTHY.

Also announcers said that WSU BEATING a TOP 5 TEAM is the first time in over about 50 to 75 to 100 years that WSU has beaten a Top 5 basketball team ON THE ROAD.

That's how dominating of a big time win this win was.

And WSU has either won or played extreme close TOUGH games against the Pac 12's BEST in UCLA, USC, ASU, ARIZONA, ONE OF THE TOUGHEST SCHEDULES IN NATION, and WSU could have, would have, should have beaten ALL 4 teams.

That's HOW GOOD WSU HAS PLAYED RECENTLY

Got a tad scary for awhile but great win. Might even be better that we survived their run and maintained composure and still got the win. Finished a well played game with a win!! Just what the doctor ordered! Don’t know how the rest of the season will go but this is one of the top basketball wins in Cougar history. Great job coaches and players!!

Got a tad scary for awhile but great win. Might even be better that we survived their run and maintained composure and still got the win. Finished a well played game with a win!! Just what the doctor ordered! Don’t know how the rest of the season will go but this is one of the top basketball wins in Cougar history. Great job coaches and players!!
Agree, scary when 'Zona cut it to 5 but good to see us figure our way through it. When we move the ball and don't try to do too much, we are a tough team.

Gueye with a huge game, but Rodman does so much for this team. Powell and Mullins with solid games.

Just saw this gotta admit sorta wrote the season off. Are we legit could we make a run here, push up the p12 seeding and make some noise in the P12 tourney possibly? Seems sometimes that’s how basketball can be teams with some talent find their groove get hot and can beat anyone.

Feels like we have figured things out even with our weaknesses. We have a tough time inside the arc, can get bullied, and have a tough time with quickness.

I think getting Jakimovski up to speed after missing so much of the season would help. Diongue can steal some minutes but need to minimize the minus plays.

Just saw this gotta admit sorta wrote the season off. Are we legit could we make a run here, push up the p12 seeding and make some noise in the P12 tourney possibly? Seems sometimes that’s how basketball can be teams with some talent find their groove get hot and can beat anyone.

WSU is, was a LEGITLY GOOD, GREAT TEAM that:

1. SUFFERED DUE TO LOTS OF INJURIES.

2. SMITH REPLACED BETWEEN SEMI LOTS TO SEMI MOST OF TEAM, PLAYERS FROM LAST YEARS NIT FINAL 4 TEAM.

3. Because of point number 2 above, WSU's team, new TALENTED, GREAT PIECES, PLAYERS, has to INTEGRATE, JELL, DEVELOP CHEMISTRY, LEARN TO PLAY TOGETHER, LEARN HOW TO WIN.

4. Because of all the above points combined together, the GROWTH process of Jelling, integrating, developing Chemistry, etc, WAS STUNTED, DELAYED, etc.

5. WSU has to play BAYLOR, UNLV, BSU, TEXAS ST, HAWAI, UTAH STATE, that went to the CBI, NIT, NCAA, etc, last season.

6. Because of all the above it would have been hard enough doing well with a EASY schedule, but having to play those tough teams, under such difficult circumstances, didn't help WSU have a good, winning record, and only helped develop future depth, and BATTLE TEST WSU into what it is now, now that WSU is Finally Healthy, etc.

7. KEN POM has 7-10 WSU as the BEST 7-10 team in all of College Basketballdom, and has WSU in the ABOUT TOP 60 TEAMS(before the ASU game, WSU was the 67,68,69 team, according to Ken Pom.

The media experts, colleges, coaches, fans, Ken Pom, selection Committee, computers, math, etc, are all starting to recognize the points I have made in this post.

8. This is why WSU has not only semi dominated Arizona, and USC, and won 2 out of the top 4 BEST teams in the Pac 12, and among some of the BEST TEAMS IN NATION.

9. And WSU could have, would have, should have won all 4 of these insanely tough games on schedule.

10. And WSU has had the TOUGHEST 4 GAME CONFERENCE SCHEDULE START IN THE ENTIRE NATION, AND DESPITE THAT, ALMOST WON ALL 4 GAMES, AND PLAYED VERY WELL, ETC.

11. All the above PROVES that WSU is a Legit team, that will probably win 13,14,15,16,17,18 games, win 1,2,3 games in PAC 12 tourny and goto CIT, CBI, NIT, post season, etc.

12. If not for the above points on why WSU struggled, WSU would have been a lock to make the NCAA tourny.

13. I don't think WSU will make the NCAA tourny unless it wins the Pac 12 tourny, which I think is unlikely.

Awesome! Season isn't quite going the way we'd hoped but you can never complain about an upset like that. Hopefully they got a couple more upsets in em before the end of the season!

Feels like we have figured things out even with our weaknesses. We have a tough time inside the arc, can get bullied, and have a tough time with quickness.

I think getting Jakimovski up to speed after missing so much of the season would help. Diongue can steal some minutes but need to minimize the minus plays.
Need to get better against the press

Need to get better against the press
Agree. Occasionally we attack and get easy looks. Too often it takes us a long time to get across and into offense. We also have had more 10 second infractions than I can remember in a season.

WSU is, was a LEGITLY GOOD, GREAT TEAM that:

1. SUFFERED DUE TO LOTS OF INJURIES.

2. SMITH REPLACED BETWEEN SEMI LOTS TO SEMI MOST OF TEAM, PLAYERS FROM LAST YEARS NIT FINAL 4 TEAM.

3. Because of point number 2 above, WSU's team, new TALENTED, GREAT PIECES, PLAYERS, has to INTEGRATE, JELL, DEVELOP CHEMISTRY, LEARN TO PLAY TOGETHER, LEARN HOW TO WIN.

4. Because of all the above points combined together, the GROWTH process of Jelling, integrating, developing Chemistry, etc, WAS STUNTED, DELAYED, etc.

5. WSU has to play BAYLOR, UNLV, BSU, TEXAS ST, HAWAI, UTAH STATE, that went to the CBI, NIT, NCAA, etc, last season.

6. Because of all the above it would have been hard enough doing well with a EASY schedule, but having to play those tough teams, under such difficult circumstances, didn't help WSU have a good, winning record, and only helped develop future depth, and BATTLE TEST WSU into what it is now, now that WSU is Finally Healthy, etc.

7. KEN POM has 7-10 WSU as the BEST 7-10 team in all of College Basketballdom, and has WSU in the ABOUT TOP 60 TEAMS(before the ASU game, WSU was the 67,68,69 team, according to Ken Pom.

The media experts, colleges, coaches, fans, Ken Pom, selection Committee, computers, math, etc, are all starting to recognize the points I have made in this post.

8. This is why WSU has not only semi dominated Arizona, and USC, and won 2 out of the top 4 BEST teams in the Pac 12, and among some of the BEST TEAMS IN NATION.

9. And WSU could have, would have, should have won all 4 of these insanely tough games on schedule.

10. And WSU has had the TOUGHEST 4 GAME CONFERENCE SCHEDULE START IN THE ENTIRE NATION, AND DESPITE THAT, ALMOST WON ALL 4 GAMES, AND PLAYED VERY WELL, ETC.

11. All the above PROVES that WSU is a Legit team, that will probably win 13,14,15,16,17,18 games, win 1,2,3 games in PAC 12 tourny and goto CIT, CBI, NIT, post season, etc.

12. If not for the above points on why WSU struggled, WSU would have been a lock to make the NCAA tourny.

13. I don't think WSU will make the NCAA tourny unless it wins the Pac 12 tourny, which I think is unlikely.
Mik, I don’t always read your thesis’s but appreciated this one. I’m a fair-weather bball fan all around and don’t watch any NBA. Basically Cougs if they are good and NCAA tourney is it. I expected this team to be really good this year and a potential NCAA bubble team at worst…even contemplated season tix before the season. All those early season OOC losses made me lose interest and haven’t paid much attention since.

This win at AZ seams could be a huge boost. Momentum and confidence is a huge ingredient in sports and I think when you consider 18 year old kids it’s exponentially important.

That said I’m looking at games I can get to down in Pullman on the schedule now. Def going to be there to watch them kick UWs ass.

Reactions: mikalalas
Off to a good start.

Arizona without a couple of key guys.

By the way, a win like this has to be a great boost to our team, given how we fell just short of beating four very good teams.

Winning on the road against a very good team tells me a lot about a team's maturity and toughness.

Short of winning the Pac-12 tournament, is there a plausible path to get to the Big Dance?

By the way, a win like this has to be a great boost to our team, given how we fell just short of beating four very good teams.

Winning on the road against a very good team tells me a lot about a team's maturity and toughness.

Short of winning the Pac-12 tournament, is there a plausible path to get to the Big Dance?
Unfortunately it is hard to imagine. Had we held on to win the Utah and UCLA games that we seemingly had until we didn't it would have made a tremendous difference.

WSU would have to win at least 17 games, which is about 10 more conference games, since 7-10 now, and would have to finish 13-7, 12-8 in conference, and about tied for 3rd in conference at worst, and win 1 or 2 games in the Pac 12 tournament.

That's borderline semi doable, etc, and if WSU did that, WSU would be on NCAA tournament bubble, and would have about a 50/50 chance of going to NCAA tournament.

If WSU wins 18,19 total games(11,12 more conference wins, and goes 14-6,13-7 in conference, and tied for 2, alone in 3rd at worst, and 1 or 2 PAC 12 tourny wins, WSU would be on NCAA tourny bubble with about a 75 to 85% chance of making NCAA tournament.

That's less doable, but still less semi borderline semi borderline doable theoretically possible if WSU continues to improve, gets hotter, etc.

But I don't think WSU wins that much as I think WSU wins 14,15,16,17 wins at best.

But hopefully I am wrong in that hopefully WSU wins more then that.

PAC12 is looking at 2 teams in the NCAA tourney possibly a 3rd. I personally don’t see any chance to make that group without winning the PAC12 tourney. WSU or some other underdog winning PAC12 tourney might bump league up to 4 but more likely just bumps another team into NIT. We just won a great game but we still aren’t a great team, lots and lots of weaknesses that will need to be negotiated thru the rest of the season. At least we now know that we can play with and beat any team in the league but we are very capable of losing to anybody on any given night.
One game at a time!! Please!
Very good chance we win the next 2 at home. Hopefully people/students show up and help keep the momentum going.

Last edited:
PAC12 is looking at 2 teams in the NCAA tourney possibly a 3rd. I personally don’t see any chance to make that group without winning the PAC12 tourney. WSU or some other underdog winning PAC12 tourney might bump league up to 4 but more likely just bumps another team into NIT. We just won a great game but we still aren’t a great team, lots and lots of weaknesses that will need to be negotiated thru the rest of the season. At least we now know that we can play with and beat any team in the league but we are very capable of losing to anybody on any given night.
Very good chance we win the next 2 at home. Hopefully people/students show up and help keep the momentum going.

I noticed we had just 9 turnovers in the game. If we had single digit turnovers in all games this season we'd be in great shape. We'd still b in the mix for the Big Dance.

Very gratifying win and, of course, historic. Not even the very best of the Tony, George, and Kelvin teams beat a top 5 team on the road. Having said that, I'm like you, Jourdand, I prefer to take it one game at a time. Cougs have a one game winning streak, let's make it two and go from there. Nothing wrong with enjoying and celebrating yesterday's win, though.

Glad Cougar

I think they're playing very well over all. The only concern I have is their inability to readily break the press. It takes them out of rhythm and hurts their ability to get into their offense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT