ADVERTISEMENT

Arizona

That's a game we had a chance to win. The 3-ball just wouldn't drop, but we still had our chances.

Felt Darling played well on the defensive end last night, taking charges, deflections, made Arizona really work. He's a blackhole on offense, but I don't know if I was expecting much from a kid who I thought was going to redshirt this year. Honestly felt that if Darling could be an offensive scorer by his RS junior year, would be a success for him. He's just not ready to try and score at this level.

With that said, Smith needs to find consistency at guard play and he can't get it. Unless Smith can get consistent guard play, he won't win consistently. Go look at the losses, we'll put up like 20 3's and hit like 3 or 4. Nobody can shoot on this team. Jabe can, but teams have figured out how to stop him.

Why isn’t Houinsou getting the majority of the PG minutes. And yes I know he’s not a traditional PG. He handles the ball as well as Darling. Can create his own shot. Drive to the basket and finish all things DD can’t do right now.

Why isn’t Houinsou getting the majority of the PG minutes. And yes I know he’s not a traditional PG. He handles the ball as well as Darling. Can create his own shot. Drive to the basket and finish all things DD can’t do right now.
It's gotta be defense. Jabe sits a lot during the game when he leads the country in 3 point shooting, that has to be because of his defense too. Smith seems like he isn't going to budge on having the best defenders on the floor, which I respect, but you also need to score to win games and we severely struggle at that.

Reactions: kougkurt
We need an alpha and haven't had one this year. Bamba is close but his finishing leads to too many turnovers (team leading this game) and his FT and FG percentage just isn't there. Need an Alpha to be at 80% from the line.

Probably his hand problems causing all of this but it is what it is

We need an alpha and haven't had one this year. Bamba is close but his finishing leads to too many turnovers (team leading this game) and his FT and FG percentage just isn't there. Need an Alpha to be at 80% from the line.

Probably his hand problems causing all of this but it is what it is
You're right. We don't have a dude that just go get his shot. Flowers last was that guy. I'll give Bamba grace with his wrist/hand injury impacting his shooting and all, but his turnovers are killer. His foul against Colorado, while many say wasn't, doesn't matter, it was whistled, was a killer and then going under a screen? Killer. His foul at the end of the Utah game, again a killer. He makes a lot of really bad decisions in crunch time and you can argue cost WSU 3 conference wins.

Imo way to much emphasis on creating your own shot when evaluating players. All Darling has to do is make open shots when they are presented to him. Currently that is not happening but I feel it is a freshman thing. Creating one’s own shot should only be an issue if the offense fails to produce and at that point you go to your primary or secondary scoring option not a freshman point guard. Houinsou’s TOs are probably limiting his playing time, also a freshman thing. Both Darling and Houinsou will be fine in the future and will hopefully be compatible back court mates.

Imo way to much emphasis on creating your own shot when evaluating players. All Darling has to do is make open shots when they are presented to him. Currently that is not happening but I feel it is a freshman thing. Creating one’s own shot should only be an issue if the offense fails to produce and at that point you go to your primary or secondary scoring option not a freshman point guard. Houinsou’s TOs are probably limiting his playing time, also a freshman thing. Both Darling and Houinsou will be fine in the future and will hopefully be compatible back court mates.

Oh how I wish we had some guys who could create their own shot. We are really bad in that category. Sometimes you have to have players that can break down a defense. We haven't really had much of that under Smith.

Bonton and Flowers were pretty good at it. This years team is more focused on running an offense. I prefer that style of play myself but poor shooting nights will doom them from time to time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT