ADVERTISEMENT

Article on CougsFirst! event

Loyal Coug1

Hall Of Fame
Aug 24, 2022
On Brand X. All focused on Deputy AD Mitch Straub's presentation. Takeaways:

Has anyone here ever met this guy? He's from Ohio State so he came with Chun or shortly after. Why didn't he go to uw with Chun? Hmmm. He didn't get the WSU interim AD gig. Anyway, I don't think I like him all that much. Nor do I believe some of his numbers. To wit:
  • This $62 million number keeps coming up. "This last year" is FY 2023, correct? I still don't believe it and unless I see some detail I will never believe it.
  • And the $27+ million/year for the last 4 years? Does not fly with the numbers from the Regent's meeting. I'll have to dig into this more when time permits. FY 19 was our biggest year in operating gifts - but the smallest year accoring to Straub (I know, endowments are the wildcard, but we had 12.4M per below in operating and Straub sez our total was 15.1. But every year since has been over 27M? Noooooo....

Regents Doc. FY 19 to FY 25
Attachment B*There may be minor differences in subtotals shown above due to rounding to dollars million.REVENUES: Contributions/Endowments 12.4 10.7 8.5 10.7 12.7 10.4 8.8

Reactions: HCoug
On Brand X. All focused on Deputy AD Mitch Straub's presentation. Takeaways:

Has anyone here ever met this guy? He's from Ohio State so he came with Chun or shortly after. Why didn't he go to uw with Chun? Hmmm. He didn't get the WSU interim AD gig. Anyway, I don't think I like him all that much. Nor do I believe some of his numbers. To wit:
  • This $62 million number keeps coming up. "This last year" is FY 2023, correct? I still don't believe it and unless I see some detail I will never believe it.
  • And the $27+ million/year for the last 4 years? Does not fly with the numbers from the Regent's meeting. I'll have to dig into this more when time permits. FY 19 was our biggest year in operating gifts - but the smallest year accoring to Straub (I know, endowments are the wildcard, but we had 12.4M per below in operating and Straub sez our total was 15.1. But every year since has been over 27M? Noooooo....

Regents Doc. FY 19 to FY 25
Attachment B*There may be minor differences in subtotals shown above due to rounding to dollars million.REVENUES: Contributions/Endowments 12.4 10.7 8.5 10.7 12.7 10.4 8.8
It’s like statistics. If you define the parameters just right, you can make the results say just about anything you want.

Reactions: HCoug
It’s like statistics. If you define the parameters just right, you can make the results say just about anything you want.
Stat 215 at WSU. TA Cal Bierley teaching. Only - ahem - white stat teacher. He had this little book, "how to lie with statistics", that was part of his course only. Learned more from that book in a few weeks than anything else ever. Still apply the concepts.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT