ADVERTISEMENT

As a reward and for recruiting purposed we should extend Leach at 5 mil per

ShockandAweWSU

Head Coach
Feb 20, 2018
I guarantee opposing coaches are using Leach's flirtation with Tenn against us in recruiting. This next stretch from now to Dec 20 is huge in recruiting. We need to upgrade this recruiting class ASAP. The DL are great, but for as great of a season as we are having we need to have a better recruiting class (yes I understand the lack of recruiting connections the new staff has).

Plus I really don't want to play in the Rose Bowl with rumors swirling all around. Do what it takes to Keep Leach and Keep this staff.

I guarantee opposing coaches are using Leach's flirtation with Tenn against us in recruiting. This next stretch from now to Dec 20 is huge in recruiting. We need to upgrade this recruiting class ASAP. The DL are great, but for as great of a season as we are having we need to have a better recruiting class (yes I understand the lack of recruiting connections the new staff has).

Plus I really don't want to play in the Rose Bowl with rumors swirling all around. Do what it takes to Keep Leach and Keep this staff.

We've been over this before. We can talk all we want about how much Leach should get paid....but what's really more important is that Chun and Schulz need to sit down with Leach and discuss what he needs to be happy to stay at WSU.

Is it more money for him?

Is it more money for assistants?

Is it the IPF to break ground in the next 12-18 months?

We don't know what Leach "needs" to be happy. Our AD and president doing what they can to know that answer is what matters.

I completely agree. That's why our recruiting this year sucks so bad. I don't think we even have any commits, do we? Maybe a couple of one star's from Dusty and Iona?

Reactions: earldacoug
While I am a big advocate for paying Leach what he is worth I do stress caution on paying above our means. It’s just the cold hard truth of being one of the smaller schools at the power 5 level.

We currently pay Leach I think 3.5 making him the 4th highest paid coach in the conference.

Petersen and Shaw are paid 4.3
And Whittingham is paid 3.7

Given that Leach has beaten everybody except Petersen regularly and give our budget restraints I think 4 million is where he should be with 125k raises annually for 5 years.

This would put him at..

4 mil for 2019
4.125 for 2020
4.250 for 2021
4.375 for 2022
4.5 for 2023

I think we are similar to that but a little under. To me that seems like a fair and appropriate contract.

The 4 makes him the 3rd highest paid coach in the conference and pending Shaw/Petersen don’t get raises the highest at 2023.

5 mil just seems steep for the smallest revenue generator in the conference.

Reactions: M-I-Coug
While I am a big advocate for paying Leach what he is worth I do stress caution on paying above our means. It’s just the cold hard truth of being one of the smaller schools at the power 5 level.

We currently pay Leach I think 3.5 making him the 4th highest paid coach in the conference.

Petersen and Shaw are paid 4.3
And Whittingham is paid 3.7

Given that Leach has beaten everybody except Petersen regularly and give our budget restraints I think 4 million is where he should be with 125k raises annually for 5 years.

This would put him at..

4 mil for 2019
4.125 for 2020
4.250 for 2021
4.375 for 2022
4.5 for 2023

I think we are similar to that but a little under. To me that seems like a fair and appropriate contract.

The 4 makes him the 3rd highest paid coach in the conference and pending Shaw/Petersen don’t get raises the highest at 2023.

5 mil just seems steep for the smallest revenue generator in the conference.

I agree with the idea of controlling expenses, but I think we should try to be as aggressive as we can with performance bonuses. As long as we are winning games, I want to make sure he's happy. As I said above, it's very, very important that Chun and Schulz make sure that Leach knows that they want him to be happy.

^^^^

#1 - CML wants that douchebag reporter from brand x to stop asking post game questions

then lets move on to the rest of the list

if you watched Claeys interview after practice this week he doesn't like that acerbic tongue ass clown either

Last edited:
^^^^

#1 - CML wants that douchebag reporter from brand x to stop asking post game questions

if you watched Claeys interview after practice this week he doesn't like that acerbic tongue clown either

I noticed that with Claeys as well. He was looking at him like “there is a whole lot wrong with you boy” look.

I apologize....i thought we were already paying 4 mil per....I would say its completely fair to make Leach the second or highest paid coach in the conference. Its not like He's had 1 fluke season. If we have to overpay a bit to get a long term commitment to winning and Leach then yeah do it. I'd say its very fair to say that this team and Leach have brought in at least 1 million in more revenue in apparel sales and everything.

I noticed that with Claeys as well. He was looking at him like “there is a whole lot wrong with you boy” look.

hahaha yeah - can tell that by the tone of his voice - kinda creepy - thinks he works for 60 minutes with his try to catch you off guard probing queries - definitely not on board the Coug train

Reactions: Cougatron
I agree he should be paid more. I dont kjow that there is a job open worth leaving for.

If it were me dealing with opposing coaches telling kids I was gonna leave I’d ask who was gonna come for them??? If no one wants your coach, you have the wrong guy.

I agree he should be paid more. I dont kjow that there is a job open worth leaving for.

If it were me dealing with opposing coaches telling kids I was gonna leave I’d ask who was gonna come for them??? If no one wants your coach, you have the wrong guy.

I don't know how long Leach will be in Pullman. Could be this is his last year or he could finish his coaching career in Pullman.

There was a perfect storm of events that lead to Leach accepting the Tennessee job. The two guys responsible for bringing him to WSU were gone. The new President was talking about austerity. Moos was in Lincoln. He didn't know what to expect going forward.

Then, Tennessee comes knocking with a suitcase full of money. Of course he was going to say yes.

I don't know how long Leach will be in Pullman. Could be this is his last year or he could finish his coaching career in Pullman.

There was a perfect storm of events that lead to Leach accepting the Tennessee job. The two guys responsible for bringing him to WSU were gone. The new President was talking about austerity. Moos was in Lincoln. He didn't know what to expect going forward.

Then, Tennessee comes knocking with a suitcase full of money. Of course he was going to say yes.

Not to mention a private plane and proximity to the keys. I think it will take a Blue blood to pull him away from the machine he’s built here. He’s set up for years of continued success and 0 pressure. No one will love the guy more than our fan base does. He even mentioned that it’s not always best to leave your current secure job with all the coaching uncertainty out there. I think his eyes were opened with the Tennessee fiasco. One thing for certain, the Seattle media will start talking about it as we get closer to the Apple Cup. Anything to distract.

Not to mention a private plane and proximity to the keys. I think it will take a Blue blood to pull him away from the machine he’s built here. He’s set up for years of continued success and 0 pressure. No one will love the guy more than our fan base does. He even mentioned that it’s not always best to leave your current secure job with all the coaching uncertainty out there. I think his eyes were opened with the Tennessee fiasco. One thing for certain, the Seattle media will start talking about it as we get closer to the Apple Cup. Anything to distract.
Some in the Seattle media already are: Namely Softy and Dick Fain. Fain has asked in interviews with Jon Wilner, Joel Klatt and I think it was Rick Nueheisel, how long Leach will be in Pullman.

^^^^

if you watched Claeys interview after practice this week he doesn't like that acerbic tongue clown either
are you referring to this? That ass clown is doing nothing more that doing his best to insult the coaching staff. After 200 plus months of being a member on bx....I'm cancelling my subscription. I know that GingerCoug (aka "The Gavel") doesn't want to talk on here anymore.

Reactions: NMBRCRNCHR
I completely agree. That's why our recruiting this year sucks so bad. I don't think we even have any commits, do we? Maybe a couple of one star's from Dusty and Iona?

Our class is ranked in the 70s...wake up!

You wake up Mr. been on this site for 9 months. Ink on your degree dry yet?

First of all, our current "ranking" on Rivals (this site) is #58, not "in the 70's". This of course in meaningless, because it is about volume - more commits, more points.

If you sort the rankings by average rank, we are currently at #46, with an average of 2.88. Now if you were to round up to basically the same number, 3.0, we would be in a multi-team tie for #35.

So our average recruit (14/16 so far) is a 3.0, Our one 4.0 recruit from last year is transferring because he can't break the 2 deep, FYI. Borghi was a 3.0. Minshew was a 1.0 as I recall.

Finally, in the #58 ranking, we are beat by Oregon, Stanford, Utah, Colorado and Cal. Those juggernauts scare me. Thank Gawdner we don't play any of them. Oh, wait……...:rolleyes:

Reactions: CrimsonDisciple
Yeah cause I've been posting on this site for 9 months means I just graduated. Not that it matters but I've posted on cf.c since the 90's, but switched over since they've been such a pain in the ass of Leach.

I'd say considering we are the 8th team in the country we could be recruiting a little better. Even if we get our class in the low to high 30's like our best recruiting classes over the last 25+ years have been.......I'd be thrilled.

Yeah cause I've been posting on this site for 9 months means I just graduated. Not that it matters but I've posted on cf.c since the 90's, but switched over since they've been such a pain in the ass of Leach.

I'd say considering we are the 8th team in the country we could be recruiting a little better. Even if we get our class in the low to high 30's like our best recruiting classes over the last 25+ years have been.......I'd be thrilled.

That doesn't exactly advance your resume, dude. And please list these low '30's recruiting classes and how we did with them as compared to the lame-ass ranking that our current 9-1, #8 team had.

Well considering the 2015, 2017 and 2018 class were very good classes for WSU I'd say they've helped a ton. Considering Calvin, Jackson, Harris, Borghi, Taylor, Martin, Rodgers, Kedron Williams, Woods, Strong, Thomas were key members of just the last 2 classes alone are a good indication that recruiting is kind of important. The really good 98-99 class(Williams, Tupai, Brown, David, Coleman) right after winning the Rose Bowl were all huge in our 2001-03 run. Recruiting is key. Developing that talent is even more important.

Wont happen. There is more to recruiting the 8th ranked class then being ranked 8th.

I agree you would like to think there would be some interest from some high end prospects. It will be interesting to see how the signing dates play out this year.

I don't think it's all about 4 and 5 star recruits. Did you ever happen to watch Mike Leach on 60 Minutes when he was at Tech? It was all about the success he has, while not bringing in 4 and 5 star recruits. He never really has.

If we get them in the future, that's a bonus, (on computer we would then be dangerous).

If you haven't seen the 60 minutes segment, here it is.
The Mad Scientist of Football
...By the way, if you make it on 60 Minutes, in a featured segment, you're most likely a genius.

Last edited:
Where I think this success will help is in overall depth. Leach and his staff have been able to recruit well. They have mostly been able to put a good first string out on the field. But, the second string is not as good.

I believe that the depth of each class will improve. So, instead of getting 10-15 contributors from each class, we may get 15-20. Or, more in line with other top programs.

Reactions: acgcoug
Win the Apple Cup in two weeks then deal with the raise and contract extension issues!
Anyone refresh my memory. Didn't Moos put a bonus in Leach's contract for beating the huskies?

Anyone refresh my memory. Didn't Moos put a bonus in Leach's contract for beating the huskies?
If Moos didn't he should have. All wins are not equal. Does anyone here seriously contest that? A bad record against your rival, is not a trivial matter.

Not for nothin', but I was reading the Vol boards around the time Leach looked like a done deal. Majority sentiment was one of total panic, because they are too good and too legacy for a system coach. The last time they were good was 2007, and last I checked Phil Fulmer is retired. Do they not remember Lane Kiffin? Butch Jones? Seems they are a lot like UW in that regard; Fulmer is their Don James and mentally they haven't left the 90s.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT