ADVERTISEMENT

Athlon has Claeys...

as the 9th top Coordinator Hires for 2018. I think he's going to really beef our D up. Looking forward to seeing what he's going to do for us in Pullman.

Gonna link but understand if the link needs to be taken down
https://athlonsports.com/college-football/college-footballs-top-30-coordinator-hires-2018
Way overrated are Grinch as a co-coordinator at #2 and Hamden as co-offensive coordinator. Gonzales is underrated. Shoop might have the biggest impact. Who else?

Way overrated are Grinch as a co-coordinator at #2 and Hamden as co-offensive coordinator. Gonzales is underrated. Shoop might have the biggest impact. Who else?

Grinch's gimmicky stunts were exploited by Arizona and UW, but everyone knows he resorted to those because the d-line didn't have the size and strength to play straight up. It appears it still doesn't, so what is Claeys going to do? Of course, we've yet to see what the 300-pounders on the roster (Lolohea, Echevarria) can do in a real game, and we'll have to see how much bigger and stronger Hobbs, Rodgers, and Mattox are. With Lamonte McDougle coming in, the 2019 interior d-line looks great. It sure would be nice if McDougle didn't have to sit out this year. Fwiw, Feaumoengalu Tapa no longer shows up in a search on the student directory.

Last edited:
Grinch’s defense was excellent except against cutbacks / counter seam running plays.

Running qbs could chew it up and occasionally a back would too.

He is a great coach though and tremendously improved the defense.

Claey’s is a solid hire and with some continuity at the LB position (Wilson) / DL (Phelps) and DB (McBath) in coaching we will be in good shape taking what Grinch built and adding Claey’s stuff to the mix.

When you look at the evolution of WSU’s defense under Leach it’s quite impressive.

We started with Chris BallSack with the Wulfinites who produced terrible defense in 2011.

Got Breske who was aggressive but too aggressive giving up monster plays (but still some good things)

Got Grinch who retooled the secondary to prevent big plays and added a turnover mentality.

Lost Salavea to Oregon which turned into a blessing in disguise because we got Phelps who brought a speed stunt dynamic allowing smaller players to florish.

Now we have Claey’s who brings a tighter dynamic against the run while maintaining all the parts that sort of developed under grinch.

It’s been a great journey for WSU defense. we’ve come a long way since ballsack’s
82 ranked total defense
95 ranked scoring defense in 2011

Grinch’s defense was excellent except against cutbacks / counter seam running plays.

Running qbs could chew it up and occasionally a back would too.

He is a great coach though and tremendously improved the defense.

Claey’s is a solid hire and with some continuity at the LB position (Wilson) / DL (Phelps) and DB (McBath) in coaching we will be in good shape taking what Grinch built and adding Claey’s stuff to the mix.

When you look at the evolution of WSU’s defense under Leach it’s quite impressive.

We started with Chris BallSack with the Wulfinites who produced terrible defense in 2011.

Got Breske who was aggressive but too aggressive giving up monster plays (but still some good things)

Got Grinch who retooled the secondary to prevent big plays and added a turnover mentality.

Lost Salavea to Oregon which turned into a blessing in disguise because we got Phelps who brought a speed stunt dynamic allowing smaller players to florish.

Now we have Claey’s who brings a tighter dynamic against the run while maintaining all the parts that sort of developed under grinch.

It’s been a great journey for WSU defense. we’ve come a long way since ballsack’s
82 ranked total defense
95 ranked scoring defense in 2011

The ballsack was in The Coug following the 2015 ASU game.

The ballsack was in The Coug following the 2015 ASU game.

Doesn't surprise me. He has a habit of trying to hang around winners to cover up the fact he's a crappy coach. Should have been focused more on how to stop us from putting up 38 points on his crap defense.

He really is one of the biggest liars in defensive coaching. A complete farce of a coach.

Memphis was ranked in the 70s in total defense before he showed up.

Memphis was #77 in 2015 before he showed up
then it dropped to #106 in 2016
and then it dropped to #117 in 2017.

That's how quickly he tanked their defense.

Scoring the same thing #67 in 2015 before Ballsack

After Ballsack

#68 - (Hey that's about the same right? ... just wait)
#102 - 2017

What a buffoon. (And so is anyone who likes him)

Reactions: YakiCoug
Doesn't surprise me. He has a habit of trying to hang around winners to cover up the fact he's a crappy coach. Should have been focused more on how to stop us from putting up 38 points on his crap defense.

He really is one of the biggest liars in defensive coaching. A complete farce of a coach.

Memphis was ranked in the 70s in total defense before he showed up.

Memphis was #77 in 2015 before he showed up
then it dropped to #106 in 2016
and then it dropped to #117 in 2017.

That's how quickly he tanked their defense.

Scoring the same thing #67 in 2015 before Ballsack

After Ballsack

#68 - (Hey that's about the same right? ... just wait)
#102 - 2017

What a buffoon. (And so is anyone who likes him)
Maybe, but why did Leach want him?

Maybe, but why did Leach want him?

He didn't Ed. Much like the typical bs he says to people about his coaching ability he is a liar about many things.

You see Ed when people rely on bullsh*t instead of ability you get people like Walden and Ballsack. All talk and no real substance to back it up, Liars if you will.

And of course, there are some people with low IQ that believe them. It happens.

He didn't Ed. Much like the typical bs he says to people about his coaching ability he is a liar about many things.

You see Ed when people rely on bullsh*t instead of ability you get people like Walden and Ballsack. All talk and no real substance to back it up, Liars if you will.

Ok....and what if I can prove to that is indeed what happened? Is Leach a "buffoon?

Well, you were pretty drunk. Probably a black out? haha
Yeah...so drunk I thought I was hanging out with Leach. I probably was drinking my sorrows after a win. Or maybe celebrating my dead mother or a coworkers divorce and just couldn't get enough to drink that night. Maybe all that billing a poster does while on Cougzone paid for the drinks I had that eve. Hmmmm

I'll tell you what Tron. You tell me what is acceptable evidence and I will let you know if I will provide it.

An actual contract offer. That's acceptable evidence because that's what an actual job offer is Ed.

Here's some fun facts about the history of Ol Ballsack's last days.

Leach was announced on November 30th

Leach was introduced. Introduced December 6th

And by December 16th Ballsack was announced for ASU.

So in just 10 days Ball was taking another job...

Because he wasn't ever really someone Leach wanted. Ball knew this because by December 13th Leach was bringing in his own guys.

An actual contract offer. That's acceptable evidence because that's what an actual job offer is Ed.

Here's some fun facts about the history of Ol Ballsack's last days.

Leach was announced on November 30th

Leach was introduced. Introduced December 6th

And by December 16th Ballsack was announced for ASU.

So in just 10 days Ball was taking another job...

Because he wasn't ever really someone Leach wanted. Ball knew this because by December 13th Leach was bringing in his own guys.
No...an offer can be verbal Tron. When was Breske hired? So what you are saying Leach could have offered Ball the job on December 8th let's say, and Ball could have marketed himself and got the gig 10 days later, while Leach could have been waiting around for an answer.

I'll tell you what Tron. You tell me what is acceptable evidence and I will let you know if I will provide it.

Whatever ballsack whispered in your ear that night isn't proof - just puffs of air that continue leaving you dizzy. Put up or shut up.

Whatever ballsack whispered in your ear that night isn't proof - just puffs of air that continue leaving you dizzy. Put up or shut up.
Is you required evidence the same as Tron...a written offer?

Yeah...so drunk I thought I was hanging out with Leach. I probably was drinking my sorrows after a win. Or maybe celebrating my dead mother or a coworkers divorce and just couldn't get enough to drink that night. Maybe all that billing a poster does while on Cougzone paid for the drinks I had that eve. Hmmmm

I know a guy who was boinking his co-worker, got caught by his wife, and had to dance like heck getting out of it, telling his wife he was just helping her through a divorce. Something like that. He continues obsessing over it to this day. Weird.

Is you required evidence the same as Tron...a written offer?

Is you going to provide documented proof? And how would you possess such a thing? Did Chrissy slip it under your pillow that night? keep in mind your previous claims that you did not know anyone on Wulff's staff.

Last edited:
Is you going to provide documented proof? And how would you possess such a thing? Did Chrissy slip it under your pillow that night? keep in mind your previous claims that you did not know anyone on Wulff's staff.
Excuse my typo. That is correct, I don't know anyone from the previous staff. Again, is the only proof for you a copy of an offer sheet?

Pick a poster I can trust, (clearly not you) and I will give that person the facts of the situation. If that poster tells you that my information is credible will that suffice?

As soon as Tron mentioned Chris Ball, Ed went, well, Ed like over the end of Ball's time at WSU.
Nope...asked a simple question. If Leach wanted to hire Ball does that make him a buffoon, as Tron was pretty emphatic anyone who thought he did good work (like Price) was a buffoon.

Excuse my typo. That is correct, I don't know anyone from the previous staff. Again, is the only proof for you a copy of an offer sheet?

Pick a poster I can trust, (clearly not you) and I will give that person the facts of the situation. If that poster tells you that my information is credible will that suffice?

Let's make it simple for you. YOU post a copy of the offer sheet here. and say how you got it. Put up or shut up.

Like I have told you probably 100 times, I don't know Chris Ball...

Let's make it simple for you. YOU post a copy of the offer sheet here. and say how you got it. Put up or shut up.
Good grief. Lets say I offered you a job, and I tell you it is in say telecom, and I tell you what we are looking to pay, and you say ED let me think about it. If it is not on an offer sheet it was not an offer? Interesting, since most of these jobs at this level are "offered" verbally.
Again. Put up the offer sheet or shut the hell up.
I guess this is not an offer "

But the decision to work with Leach again was an easy one. “He called me the day he got hired and said, ‘I need you,’ ” Emerick said. “I said, ‘I’m in.’ ”

I know...just talk.

Cougatron,

Good to see you back with guns a-blazing.

I was worried Mr. Hood would've parked you in timeout until the Apple Cup after you came to his message board and informed him his business model sucked.

Just can't keep a good man down, I guess.

No...an offer can be verbal Tron. When was Breske hired? So what you are saying Leach could have offered Ball the job on December 8th let's say, and Ball could have marketed himself and got the gig 10 days later, while Leach could have been waiting around for an answer.

No. Ed. Verbal doesn't mean jack sh*t. Verbal is he said she said bullsh*t.

Do you do your mortgages verbally Ed? Or is there some actual paperwork? Do you just tell brokers and banks that verbally is legit.

It's almost as if there was a saying... "Put it in writing" that actually means if it is legit or not.

Actually Ball could have lied to you (which is what liars do) and told everybody he knew that he was offered the job (when he wasn't) then get hired at ASU after Leach didn't want him.

Now I said I stand by my demand for the written offer to Ballsack to be hired.

If you don't have that you have basically bulls*t. Which wouldn't surprise me because you always have the stench of bullsh*t everytime you are on here.

Ballsack pleaded with Graham and got the job at ASU when Leach didn't care to give it to him. He brought Joe Lorig from Central (who sucks too) they had a connection to Graham because Ball knew some people over at Pitt who helped him get in contact with Graham.

Graham gave him the "Co" gig, and then sent crappy Lorig packing when he could get Keith Patterson back.

Ballsack went to ASU for essentially a demotion of responsibilities because he was desperate to cling to a job. He fast talked Graham and talked up Lorig and got in.

Then of course his coaching happened and the ASU defense went in the sh*tter as his defensive coaching always does, and he and Norvell jumped ship and of course Lorig got reunited with them at Memphis to continue the BallSack sh*tshow.

Cougatron,

Good to see you back with guns a-blazing.

I was worried Mr. Hood would've parked you in timeout until the Apple Cup after you came to his message board and informed him his business model sucked.

Just can't keep a good man down, I guess.

It's not his business model. He just works for them. He's great. They should do more for Scott.

Do you do your mortgages verbally Ed? Or is there some actual paperwork? Do you just tell brokers and banks that verbally is legit.

It's almost as if there was a saying... "Put it in writing" that actually means if it is legit or not.

Actually Ball could have lied to you (which is what liars do) and told everybody he knew that he was offered the job (when he wasn't) then get hired at ASU after Leach didn't want him.

If you don't have that you have basically bulls*t. Which wouldn't surprise me because you always have the stench of bullsh*t everytime you are on here.

Ballsack pleaded with Graham and got the job at ASU when Leach didn't care to give it to him. He brought Joe Lorig from Central (who sucks too) they had a connection to Graham because Ball knew some people over at Pitt who helped him get in contact with Graham.

Graham gave him the "Co" gig, and then sent crappy Lorig packing when he could get Keith Patterson back.

Ballsack went to ASU for essentially a demotion of responsibilities because he was desperate to cling to a job. He fast talked Graham and talked up Lorig and got in.

Then of course his coaching happened and the ASU defense went in the sh*tter as his defensive coaching always does, and he and Norvell jumped ship and of course Lorig got reunited with them at Memphis to continue the BallSack sh*tshow.

Too funny. I guess when Leach said to Emerick "I need you" and Emerick says he is there, that wasn't an offer. When these jobs are offered by Leach, do you really believe he has the paperwork in hand, an offer sheet, or do you think someone later does the administrative stuff?

Funny, someone the other day said they were offering me a position. They told me the compensation and everything but I guess because they hadn't signed it and there was not at offer sheet when the verbal offer was made, no offer was made. Maybe that is your world, but not in football.

Ed,

It wouldn't surprise me if a few of Wulff's guys were floated some kind of trial balloon about staying on because Leach probably wanted to keep one of them around for some kind of continuity during a massive transition. The offensive coaches were out because Leach runs the Air Raid and would want his own guys. Which leaves defensive coaches or special teams.

Considering Ball took a demotion to go to ASU, I'm guessing Leach extended some sort of deal as a courtesy to try to help with the transition. But Ball knew it was a one year thing and he'd better jump out of town ASAP because he wasn't secure on Leach's staff. I know both Tormey and Choate were offered to stay as well. Choate just took the offer first. Once this happened, Tormey didn't have a job offer.

I'm sure Ball would be able to spin this as having a job offer. But it's not like Leach wanted him as defensive coordinator or thought of him as part of the long term plan.

Reactions: wazzubruce
Ed,

It wouldn't surprise me if a few of Wulff's guys were floated some kind of trial balloon about staying on because Leach probably wanted to keep one of them around for some kind of continuity during a massive transition. The offensive coaches were out because Leach runs the Air Raid and would want his own guys. Which leaves defensive coaches or special teams.

Considering Ball took a demotion to go to ASU, I'm guessing Leach extended some sort of deal as a courtesy to try to help with the transition. But Ball knew it was a one year thing and he'd better jump out of town ASAP because he wasn't secure on Leach's staff. I know both Tormey and Choate were offered to stay as well. Choate just took the offer first. Once this happened, Tormey didn't have a job offer.

I'm sure Ball would be able to spin this as having a job offer. But it's not like Leach wanted him as defensive coordinator or thought of him as part of the long term plan.
E-Town ... regarding Ball there was only one thing you said was accurate . In terms of Tormey I find it hard to believe he was offered a job . Second hand but someone he worked with in his past told me he wasn’t , but not the horses mouth .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT