ADVERTISEMENT

Bad news for soccer team?

Wasichus

Team Captain
Aug 16, 2013
i read that outstanding keeper Ella Dederick has a torn acl and will miss the rest of the season.

If this true, it’s a blow to the team. Ella has been the anchor of the defense for quite some time and would be greatly missed.

But, as much as that suxx, it’s sports. So....next person up, let’s keep things going. That seems “cold” as I write it. NOT meant to be. It’s just part of soccer, part of all sports.

Stay strong Ella. Coug nation is behind you in your recovery.

Go Cougs

i read that outstanding keeper Ella Dederick has a torn acl and will miss the rest of the season.

If this true, it’s a blow to the team. Ella has been the anchor of the defense for quite some time and would be greatly missed.

But, as much as that suxx, it’s sports. So....next person up, let’s keep things going. That seems “cold” as I write it. NOT meant to be. It’s just part of soccer, part of all sports.

Stay strong Ella. Coug nation is behind you in your recovery.

Go Cougs

Yep. Torn acl. Learned about it via a team source.

Yep. Torn acl. Learned about it via a team source.

Yeah. It’s terrible for her and suxx for the team, too.

WSU has a really strong defense. Part of that has been Ella as the backstop and organizer. A big part of the keeper’s game is communication with defenders and organizing the defense. It’s not just shot stopping and distribution.

Ella was really strong in most aspects of the game. I have faith the backup will do well, too.

We have been lucky in that our last two starters at keeper each were superior talents and each started many, many games in a row over their careers.

I tried to watch tonight’s game to see what things looked like. But the livestream kept crashing on me, so I just gave up. The part I did get to see had us pretty dominant. And I wasn’t able to get any idea about how the new keeper looked, or how she integrated with the defenders in front of her.

I did see we had won 3-1. Still unbeaten! Go Cougs

That's too bad. I saw her go down and feared it was an acl. The backup went down pretty quickly as well. Really tough loss but this program seems to have a lot of talent. Hopefully collectively they can absorb the loss.

A major loss. Losing Dederick drops our defense down to very good from excellent. The "next woman up" will have to pick up the pace on an individual level and, more importantly, establish some chemistry with the other defenders. The conference schedule is looming and there is little time to reconnect the defensive dots.

Could she apply for a medical redshirt? I don't know nor do I know if she would want to go that route. She may have played too much of this year's schedule to qualify. Ella is good enough to play professionally and a year with the S&C folks could be to her advantage prior to entering the draft. Or maybe a team might take her in the next draft while knowing that she would be a rehab project. I suspect that the second scenario is the most likely. The soccer world has not heard the last of Ella.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT