ADVERTISEMENT

Baynes, Klay inching closer.....

Loyal Coug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 27, 2003
....to an all-Coug NBA finals matchup. Both Celtics and Warriors are up 1-0.

Golden State won last night - Klay had 28? points. Celtics won on Sunday, Baynes came off the bench to score 4 points, collect 8 rebounds and provide some tough play on both ends in his 25 minutes.

Looks like Baynes will go back into the starting lineup tonight (5:30, ESPN) as the Cavaliers are apparently going to start backup Tristan Thompson to bring more muscle to bear inside. Should be fun.

....to an all-Coug NBA finals matchup. Both Celtics and Warriors are up 1-0.

Golden State won last night - Klay had 28? points. Celtics won on Sunday, Baynes came off the bench to score 4 points, collect 8 rebounds and provide some tough play on both ends in his 25 minutes.

Looks like Baynes will go back into the starting lineup tonight (5:30, ESPN) as the Cavaliers are apparently going to start backup Tristan Thompson to bring more muscle to bear inside. Should be fun.

Celtics win. Baynes, by hitting one tonight, now leads all remaining playoff teams in 3 point shooting % at 50%. Actually, he led before the game, but 50% is such a nice round number.

I recall Baynes taking one 3 ball shot at WSU (vs Oregon in Eugene). He made it.

I wonder now if Tony didn't use him to his potential back then?

By the way, he needs to ditch the man bun.

I recall Baynes taking one 3 ball shot at WSU (vs Oregon in Eugene). He made it.

Nope, he didn't have the range then, even at the college 3 pt line.

His current 3 point performance is a new thing that has only started in this years playoffs. He was 3-18 during the regular season, and he's 4-28 in his career .143 career percentage.

His current 3 point performance is a new thing that has only started in this years playoffs. He was 3-18 during the regular season, and he's 4-28 in his career .143 career percentage.

I made a comment to this effect on Brand Y and got a bunch of crap from them for daring to say it. One guy referred to him as "absolute trash" early in his WSU years. Tony lovers.....

and acg - he didn't have the range in college ....based upon what? He went 1 for 1 in college. He had the range on that sample size of 1. And yes we know all about his recent (playoff) improvement on 3's. As per articles that I linked to in other threads. Here, I'll link another recent article.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nb...aron-baynes-into-a-3-point-shooter/ar-AAxmTO5

Baynes made an almost Donaldson-level development effort while at WSU. I think we did all that we could with him for the first 3 years. His last year, I'd have to agree that Tony was probably too locked into his preconceived notions to realize just how far Baynes had come. Let's not exaggerate Baynes' skills...he will never win on Dancing With The Stars, and he will never be a shooting guard. Heck, he will never even be an outside shooting power forward. But he has a mid-range jumper today and I suspect that he had it his last year as a Coug. Of course, when you set screens as well as he does, it is easy to understand why he did that instead of benefitting from the screens set by others. Still...I have to agree with How and Loyal. There is a very good chance that Tony missed an opportunity on the offensive end with Baynes.

I was as big a Baynes guy as any from his first year in the program. I personally wouldn't say he was misused or there was a missed opportunity to use Baynes out to the 3-point line. He was used increasingly more as his body changed and skills developed over the years. His final 2 years (especially his last) he was a big part of the offense.

I was as big a Baynes guy as any from his first year in the program. I personally wouldn't say he was misused or there was a missed opportunity to use Baynes out to the 3-point line. He was used increasingly more as his body changed and skills developed over the years. His final 2 years (especially his last) he was a big part of the offense.

All this Baynes love is making me misty-eyed. ;)

In any event, the fans, coach and his teammates love the big lug in Boston and he is making WSU proud.

Hope some of you are actually watching these playoffs. If he and Klay make the finals, wouldn't it be cool if WSU brought them to town for an early FB game to honor them? (And hit them up for donations while they are here of course) Too bad Klay wasn't on campus for the Sweet 16 year - that would be another cool reunion/honoring.

Edit - and yes the man bun needs to go.

I have to remember how much of a project Baynes was when he arrived at WSU. He was awkward and had bad hands. But he was a physical beast who could easily go toe-to-toe with physical guys like Brockman.

Who would have imagined ten years ago that Baynes would out last all-American Hansbrough of N. Carolina or even Brockman? I have to really admire his work ethic and how he paid his dues through the years getting to this point in his professional life. Baynes is really smart and tough. A perfect type of player for Brad Stephens.

I'd really enjoy a Boston v Golden State final. I'd be rooting for Boston. That is one gritty team.

I have to remember how much of a project Baynes was when he arrived at WSU. He was awkward and had bad hands. But he was a physical beast who could easily go toe-to-toe with physical guys like Brockman.

Who would have imagined ten years ago that Baynes would out last all-American Hansbrough of N. Carolina or even Brockman? I have to really admire his work ethic and how he paid his dues through the years getting to this point in his professional life. Baynes is really smart and tough. A perfect type of player for Brad Stephens.

I'd really enjoy a Boston v Golden State final. I'd be rooting for Boston. That is one gritty team.
Baynes had great work ethic for sure. He was a load to handle even in year 1.

Keep in mind Baynes handled Hansbrough in the Sweet 16 game when they were on the court at the same time. Hansbrough was noticeably frustrated dealing with Baynes. Unfortunately for us that was about the extent of UNC's frustration.

Good time to travel down memory lane with Dick Bennett (excerpt and link).

Q: Reporters who cover the Cougars miss your colorful quotes. Do you remember comparing rugged Australian Aron Baynes, now with the San Antonio Spurs, to "a big bear with a sore ass"?

Bennett: I'll you one more story about him that no one knew about.

I had to penalize him once for drinking. It was right at the beginning of the season his freshman year. He drank in the dorm, and I ran him and ran him and ran him, expecting him to get sick.

Of course, he just kept doing it (running). Finally, I couldn't bear to do it anymore. I just looked at him and I said, "Well, Baynes, you want a Foster?" (Foster's is a popular Australian beer.) And he looks at me. He says, "I hate Foster. Give me a Bud."

http://archive.kitsapsun.com/news/a...ach-dick-bennett-ep-298543398-355832901.html/

Good time to travel down memory lane with Dick Bennett (excerpt and link).

Q: Reporters who cover the Cougars miss your colorful quotes. Do you remember comparing rugged Australian Aron Baynes, now with the San Antonio Spurs, to "a big bear with a sore ass"?

Bennett: I'll you one more story about him that no one knew about.

I had to penalize him once for drinking. It was right at the beginning of the season his freshman year. He drank in the dorm, and I ran him and ran him and ran him, expecting him to get sick.

Of course, he just kept doing it (running). Finally, I couldn't bear to do it anymore. I just looked at him and I said, "Well, Baynes, you want a Foster?" (Foster's is a popular Australian beer.) And he looks at me. He says, "I hate Foster. Give me a Bud."

http://archive.kitsapsun.com/news/a...ach-dick-bennett-ep-298543398-355832901.html/
Came across that interview looking for a Dick Bennett quote around his recruiting philosophy. They really knocked it out of the park with there first 2 full classes.

I always thought the WSU coaching staff (Tony) missed the boat on allowing AB to take the 15 foot wide open jumper from the line. He could hit this shot consistently, but they really only allow him the hook and to operate down low in the block on his back side. He could have been a much better offensive threat, had he been given the green light from there.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
When Baynes was here the game hadnt quite gotten to the point where big centers were stepping out and shooting 3s like we are now. I dont think Tony mis used Baynes, although he probably could have given him a little more latitude to take some 10-12 foot jumpers.

When Baynes was here the game hadnt quite gotten to the point where big centers were stepping out and shooting 3s like we are now. I dont think Tony mis used Baynes, although he probably could have given him a little more latitude to take some 10-12 foot jumpers.

Exactly, during his growth at WSU, his range did develop a bit, but he was nowhere near the level of a Cowgill or even a Caleb Forest with the big man outside jumpers. Those two could both consistently knock down the 14-18 footers, but even they maxed out at that range. I watched them all a ton through their college years.

What amazes me is his continued development as each year passes. From his Freshman season to this 2018 NBA season, he has shown a bit of improvement every single year. He's an absolute inspiration with his hard work and determination. Proud of him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT