ADVERTISEMENT

Beasley's Future

Last edited:
I think that we should wait and see what happens to the Pac10 before we create a whole bunch of debt. Might only need a 3,000 person arena for the MW.

Something in the 6000 to 7000 range feels about right.

With cable TV and games everywhere, the need for 12K arenas is long gone - unless you're one of the bluebloods who can draw pack a Rupp Arena or Allen Fieldhouse. It's about what can be presented on the TV screen -

Something in the 6000 to 7000 range feels about right.

With cable TV and games everywhere, the need for 12K arenas is long gone - unless you're one of the bluebloods who can draw pack a Rupp Arena or Allen Fieldhouse. It's about what can be presented on the TV screen -
You comment reminds me of Cleveland Municipal Stadium AKA "mistake by the lake" That monstrosity had a capacity for baseball of 75k.

Last edited:
Hate to say it but, revamp the old girl, paying close attention to actual need and realistic expectations. The only thing as sad as a 1500 fans in a 11,000 seat facility, is a raft of unused/unwanted luxury boxes. Beasley is in an excellent location, the external structure is the same as any built today. Modernize and reduce the interior. Don't spend a dime more than we can truly afford, recognizing that the name of the game is hiring and retaining quality coaches, and that ain't cheap.

This won't happen, but it should.

Last edited:
You're right and quite frankly its not like the number of students has declined any in the 50 years. Don't worry about basketball its a Performing Arts Collesium not a hoop arena.

Reactions: FnuLnu
On the flip side, bulldoze it. (I know, many don't want to see more debt).

Bulldoze it, build a phenomenal and sensational great Arena, and when Mark Few retires, we'll be the # 1 basketball school in the state, with hands down, the utmost finest facility and basketball destination in the State.

With an amazing coaching staff, it would be the best recruiting tool this side of Disneyland.

On the flip side, bulldoze it. (I know, many don't want to see more debt).

Bulldoze it, build a phenomenal and sensational great Arena, and when Mark Few retires, we'll be the # 1 basketball school in the state, with hands down, the utmost finest facility and basketball destination in the State.

With an amazing coaching staff, it would be the best recruiting tool this side of Disneyland.
Bill, is that you?

So what went wrong with the FOB and the stadium upgrades? They haven't improved football recruiting at all despite the huge price tag. On the other hand, many say that we have more talent now than at any time since Raveling with tired old Beasley. Shouldn't we spend with an eye on keeping Smith here and happy, or replacing him with a another hot up and coming coach? We couldn't replace Leach with another big name coach because of the drowning debt. Do you really think that doubling down on the, "if we build it, they will come" mantra, is a good idea?

Bill, is that you?

So what went wrong with the FOB and the stadium upgrades? They haven't improved football recruiting at all despite the huge price tag. On the other hand, many say that we have more talent now than at any time since Raveling with tired old Beasley. Shouldn't we spend with an eye on keeping Smith here and happy, or replacing him with a another hot up and coming coach? We couldn't replace Leach with another big name coach because of the drowning debt. Do you really think that doubling down on the, "if we build it, they will come" mantra, is a good idea?
I see your point. How do you retain Smith and build a Tower at the same time? Believe for a miracle $100 million dollar donor, I guess.

Bill, is that you?

I agree, however an upgrade to facilities might very well be what keeps Smith happy or attracts a better coach during our next search.

Or perhaps Smith will be happy for many many years just because he likes it.

I see your point. How do you retain Smith and build a Tower at the same time? Believe for a miracle $100 million dollar donor, I guess.
Its a completely new world with NILs. Where would you want high end donor money spent, on a glitzy new facility or on NIL funding? Where is a kid from a poor neighborhood going to go? To a new facility or to the highest bidder? According to Lane Kiffin, it is the highest bidder everytime. He point to Texas A&M and their buying the No. 1 football recruiting class, as the example.

Frankly, the solution to our problems is more organic. Pullman needs to become an alumni weekend destination town, with plenty of upscale shops, restaurants, drinking holes, condos, hotel space, golf and rec facilities, as an adjunct to athletics. Oxford, Mississippi is in the middle of nowhere too, in the poorest state in the union, but people arrive for games Friday and leave Monday because they have the latter. Alumni find excuses to come to town just because its fun. The Rebels generate 85 million a year in football revenue alone. WSU and the city need to sit down, channel a little of Bill Moos' 'big vision' and come up with a plan to turn Pullman from complete game day mess it is now, and always has been, to one designed to entice alumni to stay, spend and invest. Bill was right in one respect, "if you build it they will come," he was just wrong about what needed to be built and who the school should be trying to attract.

I agree, however an upgrade to facilities might very well be what keeps Smith happy or attracts a better coach during our next search.
More than a new contract and a hefty pay raise? When was the last time someone settled for less, because the office space was prettier? That's administrator talk, trying to justify building a legacy to themselves. This is America, it is all about the Benjamins.

Yeah but Leach's wife wasn't from Eastern Washington now was she. Nor does Smith have a home in the Florida Keys.

Bill, is that you?

"Drowning in debt" made Rolo the highest paid employee in the state of Washington and a target.

More than a new contract and a hefty pay raise? When was the last time someone settled for less, because the office space was prettier? That's administrator talk, trying to justify building a legacy to themselves. This is America, it is all about the Benjamins.
Like you said this is America! The market will largely decide a coaches pay! There is not a coach anywhere that isn’t looking to improve his facilities. It might be the death of athletics at WSU if we don’t play the NIL game, but I personally Feel slimy every time I think about it. If that’s what it takes I’m out!

"Drowning in debt" made Rolo the highest paid employee in the state of Washington and a target.
What point are you trying to make? That we have the money to hired a coach every bit as good as Leach? Or Chun was an idiot to pay the lowest paid football coach in the MWC more than Jimmy Lake and Mike Hopkins, and he came down with a bad case of buyer's remorse?

What point are you trying to make? That we have the money to hired a coach every bit as good as Leach? Or Chun was an idiot to pay the lowest paid football coach in the MWC more than Jimmy Lake and Mike Hopkins, and he came down with a bad case of buyer's remorse?
Panic negotiation to show that they didn't "run off" Leach and weren't installing a Walden/Wulff/Baldwin staff & offense. But if you exceed the UW's pay, expect flack.

Inslee likes his emergency powers. Has now had them longer than the Gerald Ford administration lasted. He wasn't going to let the highest paid employee "defy" him.

Also see baseball coach: Paid well above what he would get in professional baseball. The Joe Torre days are over. Letting the Vandy coach drive the market is stupid. Vandy baseball doesn't even have to follow the same scholarship rules that WSU and other schools do.

Reactions: Observer11
I agree Chun was out to lunch and had to be in a panic. Virtually no due diligence was done. The word was Rolo was lazy and turned virtually everything over to his assistants. You hire the guy, nevertheless, then get bent out of shape when the "word" turns out to be true. That's where the friction really started - work ethic. Chun wanted to see it, Rolo wasn't showing it and felt micro managed. The vaccine stuff was just passive aggression on Rolo's part, an FU to Chun. Don't get me started on giving a coach a MWC coach 500% raise.

Reactions: Coug4life34
I agree Chun was out to lunch and had to be in a panic. Virtually no due diligence was done. The word was Rolo was lazy and turned virtually everything over to his assistants. You hire the guy, nevertheless, then get bent out of shape when the "word" turns out to be true. That's where the friction really started - work ethic. Chun wanted to see it, Rolo wasn't showing it and felt micro managed. The vaccine stuff was just passive aggression on Rolo's part, an FU to Chun. Don't get me started on giving a coach a MWC coach 500% raise.

It may have been passive aggressive stuff by Rolo on the jab...but that requirement for every adult was absolutely outrageous. I never got it because my risk of dying was essentially zero...as was most everyone's.

I was proven right...and there has been substantial downside to the jab as we are finding out. It was all about money and cowardly politicians. That's all is was. Oh...and power trips. It was disgusting and immoral. I hope he wins his lawsuit.

It may have been passive aggressive stuff by Rolo on the jab...but that requirement for every adult was absolutely outrageous. I never got it because my risk of dying was essentially zero...as was most everyone's.

I was proven right...and there has been substantial downside to the jab as we are finding out. It was all about money and cowardly politicians. That's all is was. Oh...and power trips. It was disgusting and immoral. I hope he wins his lawsuit.
Wound mind him getting a big check from the state.

Very interested in the depositions.

He put Chun in bad spot, but Chun put himself in bad spot with that contract.

Unlike you, I'm Coug to the core. I don't root against WSU. So I hope Rolo loses, gets hit with sanctions and attorney fees. WSU was very good to him, agreed to pay him millions. He was asked to stop embarrassing himself and the school, to send a messenger of science over conspiracy, he refused. F him and the horse he rode in on.

FYI, approximately 5,000,000 people were hospitalized in the USA due to COVID. Yeah, most of them old, fat and in poor health to begin with, and the vax was crap in preventing transmission, but if trying, emphasis of "trying," to save lives ain't a reason for a vaccine, what is? It was never about "your risk" or the risk of the fortunate, it was about trying to protect those at risk, even when those efforts proved largely ineffective and misguided.

Rolo had ultimate freedom on this, the freedom to choose Jab vs. Job. He just wanted to have the cake and eat it too. It is like the return to the work place calls, you either return or you get canned. What right do they have to make someone return to the work place? Jab and being compelled to work at a time and place against your will are both highly invasive attacks on "personal rights." The problem with this analysis is 99% are "at will" employees, and they don't have the right to a job, it is a privilege.

As for the proven downside, what is that exactly? A very small number having adverse reactions? I haven't seen a report of significant adverse effects.

Unlike you, I'm Coug to the core. I don't root against WSU. So I hope Rolo loses, gets hit with sanctions and attorney fees. WSU was very good to him, agreed to pay him millions. He was asked to stop embarrassing himself and the school, to send a messenger of science over conspiracy, he refused. F him and the horse he rode in on.

FYI, approximately 5,000,000 people were hospitalized in the USA due to COVID. Yeah, most of them old, fat and in poor health to begin with, and the vax was crap in preventing transmission, but if trying, emphasis of "trying," to save lives ain't a reason for a vaccine, what is? It was never about "your risk" or the risk of the fortunate, it was about trying to protect those at risk, even when those efforts proved largely ineffective and misguided.

Rolo had ultimate freedom on this, the freedom to choose Jab vs. Job. He just wanted to have the cake and eat it too. It is like the return to the work place calls, you either return or you get canned. What right do they have to make someone return to the work place? Jab and being compelled to work at a time and place against your will are both highly invasive attacks on "personal rights." The problem with this analysis is 99% are "at will" employees, and they don't have the right to a job, it is a privilege.

As for the proven downside, what is that exactly? A very small number having adverse reactions? I haven't seen a report of significant adverse effects.
I didn't root against WSU sports. I also understand that Chun had his hands tied by coward and two bit fascist fool Jay Inslee. I root against totalitarianism and any action by the government that rejects liberty.

The jab was not a vaccine. That is a fact.

It was/is certainly about each individual's risk too. Most all people in the US (and elsewhere) had zero chance of dying from covid. Understand that? They had no chance of dying from covid. I had no problem with those who were old (>70) and/or had co-morbidities believing they needed to take the shot...and getting it. I urged my mom to get it (she is >80). I didn't know if it would help (and turns out it may not have actually helped), but the risk was worth the shot. Look at those with the best healthcare in the world...like the Bidens...who took the jabs and the boosters and have had covid multiple times. It was sold as a preventative measure. That was a lie.

The state has no right to force people to take an experimental shot that is not proven. It has many bad outcomes (including death). The government has taken prior vaccines off the market with far less deaths before, but this time they were bought off by Big Pharma and politicians who were scared of losing their jobs. Some also loved the power trip of requiring people to do things. It was practice for a police state.

Unlike you, I admire people who forego big money based on a principle. I think Rolo should have made a different argument. I resisted getting the jab (and i work for a major US company in Washington state) and essentially ran out the clock until the court decided is was unconstitutional to force this jab on everyone. They were going to force me out of my job. The left was all for this. That was immoral. I never made a religious argument because I regularly get (actual) vaccines. This was not a vaccine and I had no chance of dying from covid.

The same people screaming "by body, my choice" were also completely rejecting this principle when it came to the jab. Go figure.

Its a completely new world with NILs. Where would you want high end donor money spent, on a glitzy new facility or on NIL funding? Where is a kid from a poor neighborhood going to go? To a new facility or to the highest bidder? According to Lane Kiffin, it is the highest bidder everytime. He point to Texas A&M and their buying the No. 1 football recruiting class, as the example.

Frankly, the solution to our problems is more organic. Pullman needs to become an alumni weekend destination town, with plenty of upscale shops, restaurants, drinking holes, condos, hotel space, golf and rec facilities, as an adjunct to athletics. Oxford, Mississippi is in the middle of nowhere too, in the poorest state in the union, but people arrive for games Friday and leave Monday because they have the latter. Alumni find excuses to come to town just because its fun. The Rebels generate 85 million a year in football revenue alone. WSU and the city need to sit down, channel a little of Bill Moos' 'big vision' and come up with a plan to turn Pullman from complete game day mess it is now, and always has been, to one designed to entice alumni to stay, spend and invest. Bill was right in one respect, "if you build it they will come," he was just wrong about what needed to be built and who the school should be trying to attract.
Truth is....the reason USC and others changing conferences like people change underwear is that now the donors don't need to feed the athletic department. Their money is going to be diverted to NIL. But there is a down side. Imagine Jimbo Fisher getting all his recruits 100k in NIL money and they finish 8-4 with ten kids not getting a sniff of playing time. That doesn't bode well for any coaching staff. Donor patience will even be shorter, and coaches and good coaches on a much shorter leash than they are already on. You will have two years to turn around a program.

I didn't root against WSU sports. I also understand that Chun had his hands tied by coward and two bit fascist fool Jay Inslee. I root against totalitarianism and any action by the government that rejects liberty.

It was/is certainly about each individual's risk too. Most all people in the US (and elsewhere) had zero chance of dying from covid. Understand that? They had no chance of dying from covid. I had no problem with those who were old (>70) and/or had co-morbidities believing they needed to take the shot...and getting it. I urged my mom to get it (she is >80). I didn't know if it would help (and turns out it may not have actually helped), but the risk was worth the shot. Look at those with the best healthcare in the world...like the Bidens...who took the jabs and the boosters and have had covid multiple times. It was sold as a preventative measure. That was a lie.

The state has no right to force people to take an experimental shot that is not proven. It has many bad outcomes (including death). The government has taken prior vaccines off the market with far less deaths before, but this time they were bought off by Big Pharma and politicians who were scared of losing their jobs. Some also loved the power trip of requiring people to do things. It was practice for a police state.

Unlike you, I admire people who forego big money based on a principle. I think Rolo should have made a different argument. I resisted getting the jab (and i work for a major US company in Washington state) and essentially ran out the clock until the court decided is was unconstitutional to force this jab on everyone. They were going to force me out of my job. The left was all for this. That was immoral. I never made a religious argument because I regularly get (actual) vaccines. This was not a vaccine and I had no chance of dying from covid.

The same people screaming "by body, my choice" were also completely rejecting this principle when it came to the jab. Go figure.
I wont assume and I know you hate questions, but since you hate government, how do you feel about other vaccines like polio? Also, I chatted with someone in the field, not someone who made money off the vaccine or covid, but said the original vaccine would have stopped the spread of the original virus. That had to be done before it morphed, which gave us to about July to get poked and get herd immunity. So yes the window was short.

And you remember the police officer who was maybe 55 and not overweight from Yakima who said on his sign off as he refused the jab...Inslee kiss my ass? He had a short retirement.

So, where did you get your medical degree? And how can you say you had "no chance" of dying from Covid? I'm embarrassed to read this crap coming from a fellow Coug.

As a 60 year old, otherwise healthy guy with a heart condition, I am damn glad I had 3 jabs before finally getting a mild case of Covid recently. Gonna get another jab pretty soon.

BTW, Mr. "that is a fact", Washington State still ranks right near the top (in a good way) with regard to per capita infections and deaths from Covid. I'm not a big Inslee fan at all, but his actions saved lives. THAT is a fact - Google it.

Also, Mr. "that is a fact", many hospitals nationwide are still crammed with Covid patients, overwhelmingly anti-vaxxers. As other patients with serious medical needs are turned away because of the lack of capacity.

So, where did you get your medical degree? And how can you say you had "no chance" of dying from Covid? I'm embarrassed to read this crap coming from a fellow Coug.

As a 60 year old, otherwise healthy guy with a heart condition, I am damn glad I had 3 jabs before finally getting a mild case of Covid recently. Gonna get another jab pretty soon.

BTW, Mr. "that is a fact", Washington State still ranks right near the top (in a good way) with regard to per capita infections and deaths from Covid. I'm not a big Inslee fan at all, but his actions saved lives. THAT is a fact - Google it.

Also, Mr. "that is a fact", many hospitals nationwide are still crammed with Covid patients, overwhelmingly anti-vaxxers. As other patients with serious medical needs are turned away because of the lack of capacity.

About 1 million USA people died from covid.

About 600k died of COVID during first 9 months of 2019/2020, back when people, country first learning what COVID was, etc, and was still learning how to stop, etc.

That means that about 500k have died in the 2 and 1/2 years after the first 9 months.

During that time there was about 50 mill to 75 mill to 100 million cases a year of COVID, for about 150 million to 300 million cases.

Of those, about 5 million hospitalizations, and out of those hospitalizations and no hospitalized cases, about 500k died.

And that means that out of 150 to 300 mill cases that about a 2% chance of being HOSPITALIZED.

And that out of 150 to 300 million cases that about .13 OF 1% MORTALITY RATE OF the 150 to 300 million cases(about same mortality rate of FLU), has died.

And out of 5 mill hospitalized, 500k died for a 10% mortality rate.

All of this means that altho COVID was, is EXTREMELY CONTAGIOUS, MILLIONS of cases, that the hospitalization rate, mortality rate is ULTIMATELY EXTREMELY LOW.

Even older people weren't at Ultimately extremely high risk.

Example, ms Luanne Cranfield. about 70+ years old, uses a walker. She didn't take Vaccine. Got COVID. Easily survived just fine.

Ed would say, it's not about mortality rate, that it was about reducing risk to elderly and freeing up hospital beds.

Altho higher risk for elderly, the mortality rate for elderly isn't that high or a lot higher.

And as for clogged up hospitals, a year ago, when I had my stroke, when I went to Davenport WA hospital AND then was ambulanced to Sacred Heart Hospital in Spokane WA, Davenport WA hospital was deserted, had whole hospital to self, and their was about 2,3,4,5 rooms, and 2,3,4,5 ICU units available at Sacred Heart Hospital.

So NO Hospitals weren't being overwhelmed, if they were, Sacred Heart wouldn't have had some open rooms and ICU units, and the Hospitals in Spokane, would have had a lot of overflow, and would have sent all that supposed overflow to Davenport WA Hospital, and Davenport Hospital would have been FULL not empty like how it was empty.

And then there is how the CDC has just come out and OPENLY ADMITTED that they were WRONG, ran things wrong, that their numbers, and interpretation of numbers were wrong, and that things like Vaccines and Mask mandates, and lockdowns, etc, WERE LESS EFFECTIVE, NOT EFFECTIVE, DIDNT WORK, ETC, that THEY LIED, etc, and that they won't make the same mistakes again, that they will change the culture, have a higher standard of accountability, etc.

All this shows that

1. The mortality and hospitalization rates were ULTIMATELY EXTREMELY LOW.

2. That hospitals weren't overflowing, as the overflow tents, etc, weren't being used, an or have been torn down, etc.

3. That the Elderly altho at higher risk, isn't as high a risk, etc.

4. That CDC was WRONG, LIED, ETC.

5. That there was MISINFORMATION, lies thru official channels, etc.

6. That Vaccine Shots, Mask, lockdowns, etc, were not as needed, not as effective, etc.

ROLO was right in not wanting to Vax up, and had the right to not Vax up, and he exercised that right, etc.

Where ROLO went wrong, is that HALF the people WRONGLY thought Vaccination should be done.

By ROLO OPENLY SAYING he was not going to get Vaccinated, that view was going to be EXTREMELY UNPOPULAR with HALF the people.

A Head Coach is like a Politician, Salesman, etc. A Head Coach is a public face of the college. Last thing a Head Coach wants to do is VOLUNTARILY open their mouth and say they are either for or against vaccination, as that's a very hot button, divisive, etc, issue that can cause half the fans, people to not like you, etc.

This is Why even MIKE LEACH even kept his mouth shut on the issue, when asked, with a NO COMMENT type of comment by saying that's between a person and their doctor.

If ROLO had done the same, there probably wouldn't have been a problem.

Last thing a Head Coach wants to or Should do is to VOLUNTARILY open big fat mouth, and take a position on a hot button issue CONTRARY to WSU, Chun, Schultz, Inslee, half the fans, half the potential recruits, etc.

But ROLO IDIOTICALLY did that.

If ROLO had kept his mouth shut, refused to get the vaccine, had done a better job of trying to get a exemption, he probably would have gotten his exemption, kept his job, been just fine.

The other thing is that even if he was wronged, you don't sue WSU because WSU's, Chun's, etc, hands were tied, had to do what Inslee said.

Inslee, and the Government , etc, is who ROLO Should sue, NOT WSU, NOT CHUN, etc.

Sorry for the length, but the length was necessary to cover, explain the FACTS, TRUTH of what was covered.

I see...so I need a medical degree to read all the data I can about covid and make a reasonable assessment of my risk? I suppose you believe you need a automobile technicians certification to decide when to change your oil. Or perhaps you need a dietician to provide you your meal plan each day?

For your information, I utilized two government web sites (UK and US) to help assess my risk of death from covid and both showed essentially no chance of dying from that virus. I'm not afraid of getting sick. We all get sick from various viruses in our lifetimes. Big deal.

I got covid in March. Again...big deal! I was sick for few days and got a fever. Why does the eventuality of getting sick mean that I should freak out? I've been sick many times in life. I am a healthy person with no comorbitities.

Washington state ranks high on per capita deaths because we have a lower percentage of fat people than, say, Texas or Mississippi. We have less minorities too. This isn't rocket surgery. It isn't because we are so smart and special and take the jabs! It is because our population in Washington is healthier overall.

By the way, my wife is a director at a major Healthcare provider in Washington state. It is false that the hospitals are crammed with covid cases and they are rejecting other patients because of that. Think!

I see...so I need a medical degree to read all the data I can about covid and make a reasonable assessment of my risk? I suppose you believe you need a automobile technicians certification to decide when to change your oil. Or perhaps you need a dietician to provide you your meal plan each day?

For your information, I utilized two government web sites (UK and US) to help assess my risk of death from covid and both showed essentially no chance of dying from that virus. I'm not afraid of getting sick. We all get sick from various viruses in our lifetimes. Big deal.

I got covid in March. Again...big deal! I was sick for few days and got a fever. Why does the eventuality of getting sick mean that I should freak out? I've been sick many times in life. I am a healthy person with no comorbitities.

Washington state ranks high on per capita deaths because we have a lower percentage of fat people than, say, Texas or Mississippi. We have less minorities too. This isn't rocket surgery. It isn't because we are so smart and special and take the jabs! It is because our population in Washington is healthier overall.

By the way, my wife is a director at a major Healthcare provider in Washington state. It is false that the hospitals are crammed with covid cases and they are rejecting other patients because of that. Think!

I have already used my example of how when I had my stroke a year ago, that Lincoln County WA hospital was empty except for me, and that Sacred Heart had open beds, rooms, ICU units, and that that and how emergency overflow tents are not being used, not full, being torn down, etc, as examples of how, that show that hospitals are not being overflowed, overwhelmed, etc.

But they have ignored that here, and continue to say how supposedly the hospitals are overwhelmed etc, because of COVID.

They are a bunch of brickwalls that you can't reason with, can't talk to, won't listen to you, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT